Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Oct 22, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #2,462 of 18,828
can I connect my Bluetooth headphones to the poly? Probably not much point in doing so to listen to music originating from the phone, however Would be necessary to listen to what’s on the sdcard
Ask your self a simple question first. You are comparing two scenarios:
  • Listen using wired headphones connected to the Mojo DAC.
  • Listen using bluetooth headphones, which will use an internal DAC to convert the digital bluetooth signal into the analogue signal that you hear using the headphones.
The Mojo DAC will far outperform any bluetooth headphone DAC.

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #2,463 of 18,828
I have a question that involves switching Poly from working on a WiFi connection in my house to Roon playback and vice versa. It's not something that gets covered in the manual/youtube videos by Chord.
I currently have my Poly in access point mode only. I am thinking of setting up Roon playback, which would involve using a pin to get Poly back to access point mode (same goes for configuring mobile hotspot);

Do all existing settings get wiped upon bringing Poly back into access point mode (flashing blue and green lights)? If yes, would changing the setup have to involve resetting everything over and over again?

Thanks,
NIck

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #2,466 of 18,828
Keep headphones connected and press the config button until it tells you. Going into roon mode. When you hear that release the pin. It will be in roon mode without access point mode

Thanks Phil. I presume the same approach would work the other way round as well? If that’s the case, what about triggering personal hotspot?

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2,467 of 18,828
During access point mode ,nothing is deleted, so you don't need to set up anything again.
When you want switch playback mode to roon, you just need to set the mark and save. No network data required

Cheers

Oct 22, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #2,468 of 18,828
Awesome, thanks!

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #2,469 of 18,828
I did not pre-order as I never like to be on the cutting edge of a new product, but I'm ready to pull the trigger with the Poly once it is released in the U.S. based on the reviews so far. As I commented when I bought the JRiver Id some months ago, one needs to be ready for several hours of pain and suffering before things are in smooth operations, but that does not appear to be the case with the Poly (with thanks to all the early adopters).

Oct 22, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,470 of 18,828
Roon setup was extremely easy. As suggested above, using the pin to get Poly back to access point mode wipes no settings at all.
The Tidal-through-Roon sound is beyond awesome and I can listen from anywhere in the house as I am using my iPhone to control Roon playback. I may end up buying a full Roon license after the trial license expires.

I get an annoying bug in Roon even though I have a Tidal HiFi license- a song would start playing just fine but often I get error messages: "this track not currently available on Tidal" at the start or in the middle of the tune.

Also, Poly is currently coming up as "uncertified" in Roon settings.

EDIT: every other song I try playing gets the same error message about track being unavailable. In addition, I sometimes have to switch Poly off and back on to be detected.
EDIT 2: I just sent an email to the Roon Labs support team with details on the issue. I did find a report or two of the same happening to others online.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,471 of 18,828
This issue only happens when using Poly with Roon. Roon on my Windows PC plays music from Tidal without fault!

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,472 of 18,828
Well I'm now 24 hours into owning Poly so thought I'd share my experiences so far after following this thread from the start!

Setup - no problem getting Poly connected to my home wifi network, following the instruction posted by @Mojo ideas a couple of pages back. Added an SD card with some FLAC files and I was playing from that as well as streaming from my home server with no difficulty once I'd worked through a few control issues (next).

Control - this has been a bit hit and miss. I'd hoped to use the Lumin app (on iOS) that works flawlessly with controlling my microrendu but sadly it doesn't see Poly as a renderer. It can see Poly's DLNA server with all of the contents of the SD card but just doesn't pick up Poly to point the music towards. I tried a multitude of free apps from the Apple app store but the only one that really works reliably is 8Player. I'm disappointed not to get Lumin working but 8Player is OK. If anyone has any ideas on how to get Lumin working, please let me know.

Sound - once I got the control sorted, I started listening properly. Despite what many might say, I've found a significant difference between feeding Mojo from my MacBook and a microrendu with LPS-1 linear power supply and a short John Swenson inspired DC power cable - the microrendu sounds incredible with Mojo using 44.1 Khz FLAC files transcoded to WAV and so so much better than using my MacBook. And Poly sounds just as good as the microrendu setup - I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between them using Poly's SD card loaded with 44.1 Khz FLAC files. Streaming from my home server over wifi is just about the same too - incredible!

Out and about - next I used the personal hotspot on my iPhone to connect to Poly again using 8Player - worked flawlessly.

So overall, I'm very impressed - if I could get the Lumin app working with Poly as well, that would be the icing on the cake. But the main thing is that it sounds amazing!

Next I'll subscribe to Tidal and see how that works out....

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #2,473 of 18,828
Well I'm now 24 hours into owning Poly so thought I'd share my experiences so far after following this thread from the start!

Setup - no problem getting Poly connected to my home wifi network, following the instruction posted by @Mojo ideas a couple of pages back. Added an SD card with some FLAC files and I was playing from that as well as streaming from my home server with no difficulty once I'd worked through a few control issues (next).

Control - this has been a bit hit and miss. I'd hoped to use the Lumin app (on iOS) that works flawlessly with controlling my microrendu but sadly it doesn't see Poly as a renderer. It can see Poly's DLNA server with all of the contents of the SD card but just doesn't pick up Poly to point the music towards. I tried a multitude of free apps from the Apple app store but the only one that really works reliably is 8Player. I'm disappointed not to get Lumin working but 8Player is OK. If anyone has any ideas on how to get Lumin working, please let me know.

Sound - once I got the control sorted, I started listening properly. Despite what many might say, I've found a significant difference between feeding Mojo from my MacBook and a microrendu with LPS-1 linear power supply and a short John Swenson inspired DC power cable - the microrendu sounds incredible with Mojo using 44.1 Khz FLAC files transcoded to WAV and so so much better than using my MacBook. And Poly sounds just as good as the microrendu setup - I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between them using Poly's SD card loaded with 44.1 Khz FLAC files. Streaming from my home server over wifi is just about the same too - incredible!

Out and about - next I used the personal hotspot on my iPhone to connect to Poly again using 8Player - worked flawlessly.

So overall, I'm very impressed - if I could get the Lumin app working with Poly as well, that would be the icing on the cake. But the main thing is that it sounds amazing!

Next I'll subscribe to Tidal and see how that works out....

Let us know about Tidal plz. This is the I will mainly use. Also.

How does the Poly vs digital out of phone sound?

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,474 of 18,828

Fantastic, thanks for sharing! Many months ago I predicted that the MojoPoly combo could equal or perhaps even better, dedicated audiophile sources such as the mr/lps-1. Having heard Mojo out of that combo and then out of my phone/laptop, well... it was a pretty noticeable difference! It brought out more blackness and everything sort of snapped into place making the experience that much more musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back