Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jan 23, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #6,076 of 6,290
Haven’t used my 2go for a while. Sure enough it’s still a crap shoot. Many attempts to connect to its bt. Finally get on and hoping there’s a firmware update in the last 6 months to fix my (still) issue with pops and clicks. But when i click on device settings in the go figure app the whole app crashes. Not just crashes but drops the bt connection too. Go figure…
It is an issue with the iOS app. Doesn't happen on Android. Annoying that this hasn't been fixed yet for sure.

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #6,078 of 6,290
Phone as a hotspot and Airplay to 2Go

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #6,080 of 6,290
Yup...for now. Until Roon find out how to sort this. I understand they are looking into a solution.

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #6,081 of 6,290
Just in case it helps someone, I'm using an Android phone and BubbleUPNP as the media controller. GoFigure's music playback features are just IMHO not fit for purpose so for me that is not an option.

When playing music from the SD cards I prefer using the 2Go hotspot mode, it preserves phone battery life if I don't have to run the phone's own hotspot and the 2Go's battery life still seems to be very good when using its hotspot.

The problem being that due to the way Android's internal network routing works this means the phone has no internet connection when connected to 2Go's hotspot so it may be necessary to use a separate device to control music playback and still have an internet connection which seems to defeat the whole purpose of 2Go.

How to solve this issue though, I suppose I could get Root access on my phone and fiddle with its routing tables or whatever but that sounds a little too technical even for me. I found that using the Speedify app will manage the network routing to allow a simultaneous mobile data and Wi-Fi connection and it works perfectly for my use case. There is an added bonus that Speedify is also a VPN for people that worry about things like that.

There is a free version of Speedify limited to 2GB but at £77 PA which seems worth it for the VPN and bonded connection features alone.

One thing I've found is sadly BubbleUPNP will not allow streaming from for example Qobuz while using this connection method but strangely it will allow playback from my Google Drive, GoFigure. :wink:

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #6,083 of 6,290
Anyone with a 2go2yu streamer ever compared it to the Sotm SMS-200 Ultra streamer?
What criteria would you use to compare them? They are both top quality and I won't start a war about whether one digital source can sound better than another. :wink:

So comparing the supported streaming protocols the SMS-200 Ultra wins.

I would say if you don't have a specific reason to buy the Chord solution go for the Sotm streamer, or the Ifi streamer maybe. You have a lot of options Wiim Pro or mini look good too.

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #6,084 of 6,290
What criteria would you use to compare them? They are both top quality and I won't start a war about whether one digital source can sound better than another. :wink:

So comparing the supported streaming protocols the SMS-200 Ultra wins.

I would say if you don't have a specific reason to buy the Chord solution go for the Sotm streamer, or the Ifi streamer maybe. You have a lot of options Wiim Pro or mini look good too.
The Sotm has a 10 mhz clock input option and the Chord 2yu2go doesn't. Just wondering if the user experience, software and sound are at least equal without the introduction of master timing into the Sotm.

Asking as I don't have any experience with streamers other than this Chord 2go2yu. My experience is it's a very clean, detailed and high performance streamer that belies its size. I power it with a 5v Allo Shanti LPS which provides further smoothness and noise reduction. The software is admittedly clunky, but I mostly use it as a permanent Airplay streamer in my main system attached to a network switch and once set, I never have to interact with any of the buttons on it. For my uses, it's been a champ.

On the negative side, the form factor isn't great with three wires coming off opposing sides, it's awkward to place but it's such a tiny component that I can easily tuck it away out of sight.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #6,085 of 6,290
The Sotm has a 10 mhz clock input option and the Chord 2yu2go doesn't. Just wondering if the user experience, software and sound are at least equal without the introduction of master timing into the Sotm.

Asking as I don't have any experience with other streamers other than this Chord 2go2yu. My experience is it's a very clean, detailed and high performance streamer that belies its size. I power it with a 5v Allo Shanti LPS which provides further smoothness and noise reduction. The software is admittedly clunky, but I mostly use it as a permanent Airplay streamer in my main system attached to a network switch and once set, I never have to interact with any of the buttons on it. For my uses, it's been a champ.

On the negative side, the form factor isn't great with three wires coming off opposing sides, it's awkward to place but it's such a tiny component that I can easily tuck it away out of sight.
Given the limitations of Airplay, why would you want to consider a different streamer? TBH, there are much cheaper streamer solutions, such as the iFi Zen Stream, that are more than enough for any chain except maybe the most resolving ones. I've used many different streamers at varying price points, and I couldn't imagine spending > $1K on one. If you actually can hear a difference between streamers, the problem is either on how the bits get to the streamer (Airplay is not a friend of high-quality audio) or your DAC.

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #6,086 of 6,290
Given the limitations of Airplay, why would you want to consider a different streamer? TBH, there are much cheaper streamer solutions, such as the iFi Zen Stream, that are more than enough for any chain except maybe the most resolving ones. I've used many different streamers at varying price points, and I couldn't imagine spending > $1K on one. If you actually can hear a difference between streamers, the problem is either on how the bits get to the streamer (Airplay is not a friend of high-quality audio) or your DAC.
Yes, I understand the limitations of Airplay's 16/44 streaming, but it's by design. In my setup, the signal is upsampled to 24/705 via Chord M Scaler then sent to Hugo TT2.

As mentioned, my only reason for wanting to go to the SOTM is the master clock input. I'm syncing my Network switch and my DDC to the same 10 mhz master clock beat.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #6,087 of 6,290
Yes, I understand the limitations of Airplay's 16/44 streaming, but it's by design. In my setup, the signal is upsampled to 24/705 via Chord M Scaler then sent to Hugo TT2.

As mentioned, my only reason for wanting to go to the SOTM is the master clock input. I'm syncing my Network switch and my DDC to the same 10 mhz master clock beat.
Airplay is not only limited in sampling rate, but it also does not let the endpoint control the clock. Why go to all that effort and expense when the streaming protocol does not allow you to take advantage of the fancy clocking?

Feb 11, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #6,088 of 6,290
Airplay is not only limited in sampling rate, but it also does not let the endpoint control the clock. Why go to all that effort and expense when the streaming protocol does not allow you to take advantage of the fancy clocking?
Because it sounds better in practice. And despite the "white" paper. I don't doubt Roon being a superior protocol due to its localized nature, but I don't do Roon.

The clocking is not about endpoint controlling the clock. It's about making sure my bits get there all at the same time (decreasing jitter) all along the chain for increased accuracy.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #6,089 of 6,290
Because it sounds better in practice. And despite the "white" paper. I don't doubt Roon being a superior protocol due to its localized nature, but I don't do Roon.

The clocking is not about endpoint controlling the clock. It's about making sure my bits get there all at the same time (decreasing jitter) all along the chain for increased accuracy.
What you wrote makes no sense from a digital electronics perspective, but I'm not about to dispute your subjective impressions. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back