Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #5,176 of 6,288
I have no problems with my 2go. Other than it seems to not be found at first; goes to standby or something.

I have to reset the 2go module quickly for it to be discovered by MConnect whenever I sit down to listen.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #5,177 of 6,288
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #5,179 of 6,288
On the subject of the 2yu, joking aside, the horrendously delayed release will have a knock-on effect on the hugo 2 and 2go range.

The 2yu will have to have usb b micro inputs to fit the 2go outputs. This means that an updated version of the 2go (3go?) will still have to have usb b micro outputs as well or the 2yus will be made obsolete. Because the 2go is stuck with usb b micro outputs then any Hugo 2 (3?) upgrade will be stuck with usb b micro inputs as well.

In short, undesirable as they are, the Hugo range will be saddled with usb b micro for the foreseeable future.

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #5,180 of 6,288
On the subject of the 2yu, joking aside, the horrendously delayed release will have a knock-on effect on the hugo 2 and 2go range.

The 2yu will have to have usb b micro inputs to fit the 2go outputs. This means that an updated version of the 2go (3go?) will still have to have usb b micro outputs as well or the 2yus will be made obsolete. Because the 2go is stuck with usb b micro outputs then any Hugo 2 (3?) upgrade will be stuck with usb b micro inputs as well.

In short, undesirable as they are, the Hugo range will be saddled with usb b micro for the foreseeable future.
Or a Hugo 3 already has the capabilities built-in without a 2go.

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #5,181 of 6,288

Good observations. Yes my 2late… was joking. However I did pay for one when announce. Waited 6+ months and my great dealer happily refunded. Now a year has gone by. Do love the H2 2go combo. Roon Ethernet on the desk or Hotspot when mobile. Been a ride… Poly… 2go. Frustrating but great kit.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #5,182 of 6,288
Or a Hugo 3 already has the capabilities built-in without a 2go.
The advantage of the current modular design is that it can be bought into piecemeal so easing the financial pain. I'm sure this policy has boosted sales considerably for Chord.

The design also allows Chord to sidestep immediate competition with the likes of A&K etc as the Hugo 2go can be presented as a different animal.

A Hugo 3 of the sort you describe would cost north of £3k all of which would need to be found immediately.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #5,183 of 6,288
The reason for the delayed launch of the 2yu will be covid. Chord are struggling to supply existing stuff in a timely manor and running on a much reduced staffing level.

A lot of people (not saying this is the case at Chord cos I have no evidence) are enjoying "working from home" and being furloughed too much IMHO, I know this from my experience, this is for many different personal reasons I'm sure, not just the obvious ones.

As the UK has a good vaccine rollout I'm sure this will get better soon and hopefully Chord will catch up with orders and we can have a late summer early autumn 2yu release.

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #5,184 of 6,288
Had to get a temporary router, while my expensive ASUS is being repaired. Guess what? Roon endpoint capability is utter rubbish now with constant playback interruptions.
I now understand why so many refer to 2Go as having an underwhelming Wifi chip.
Aaand we are, somehow, back to normal.
I suppose the wifi gods are in a good mood this fine Sunday morning :p

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #5,185 of 6,288
Aaand we are, somehow, back to normal.
I suppose the wifi gods are in a good mood this fine Sunday morning :p
I bet you are a relieved man this morning, and thanks for all the help So far Along with a couple of other members who have helped me on this Chord journey.
Yesterday I popped into Maidstone obviously the home of Chord to check up on our Apple store there, as we like so many affected with COVID have had to shut around 30 stores from Exeter all the way up to Inverness, including our store in Selfridges. We also shut all our Bang & Olufsen stores around London, as well as our Harrods level. 5 technology department selling most high end audio gear.
This leads onto the understanding of the challenges I can see Chord facing with supply.
If it’s anything like Apple, and the other brands we supply, in 10 years of working with the Apple, it’s been horrific.
Minimal supply of iPad or Airpod Max into mainstream distribution to fulfill the desire in over 3 months and I could have sold everything supplied to me.
Brexit challenges have multiplied this issue by 10, so I Personally understand the radio silence from Chord and Matt Bartlett, because I think all their projected supply strategy has gone out the window briefly, delays in single components can put back launch of product months, it’s a catalyst effect. I think working with consumers although I deal with business supply, people focus on the negatives of a brand not always the positives, and I get that. We are not interested in the challenges, we just want our product, but companies can’t always disclose why they can’t supply it, and it causes upset.
All in all, I think they are a solid brand, well run, incredibly diligent on quality and I’m sure have a very exciting roadmap of product for the next 3 years.
This headphone journey is all new to me, i Literally bought my first pair before Christmas, some Diana V2, and Diana Phi, and a Burson conductor 3XR. I’ve pretty much changed the whole lot in the last month, sold them for a Focal Arche and some Utopias, and now I need a portable solution for working in the garden this coming summer, so I’ve been looking for an additional source as dragging the Arche under an umbrella on the patio just doesn’t seem to cut it.
After great advice I went to RicherSounds in Maidstone and picked up a Hugo2 yesterda, I know the guys there and head office really well and they always support me well,
I’ve also ordered the 2Go and case which I will get in about a week.
Ive read the negatives on here but am hoping the positives will outweigh them, and this will be a stellar combination to give me some great sounds during summer without having to worry about a wired connection. Im so used to Usb-C it is a shame on the connection as mentioned previously, but this Hugo2 journey for Chord I’m sure started 5 maybe 6 years ago on paper so understand it with the limitations of space at the time.
Hugo3 with internal streaming capabilities seems a natural progression, but I can’t see this happening until sales start to tail off for other competitor products on the market.

C40299EB-907D-4127-8204-6A948F590409.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #5,186 of 6,288
An update on my experiences with the 2Go, previously very negative. Sitting on my sofa in my listening position if I placed my 2Go/Hugo2 to the left of me, hence about 6m from my main Amplifi HD router, it worked perfectly without any dropouts but if I placed it to the right of me, hence about 8m from my main router, it skipped tracks maybe every other minute. I just got round to adding an additional hard-wired Amplifi HD repeater to my mesh network (which previously had been main repeater plus a single repeater right at the back of my apartment and way away from my listening/living room). Problem now solved. My 2G0/Hugo 2 never drops signal now and I can even roam around the house and it actually handles mesh handoffs better than my iPhone 12 Pro Max does when I run the Roon Remote app on that to use it as an endpoint driving Bluetooth-paired headphones.

I find it curious that I get better performance on the 2Go using Chord's implementation of a Roon endpoint (i.e. code written, I assume, by Chord or a Chord subcontractor) than I do when I use Roon's own implementation of a Roon endpoint where Roon software developers presumably wrote that code themselves. I suppose maybe the difference might be down to a hardware issue since the iPhone can support more than just 2.4GHz. Perhaps my AmpliFi HD mesh setup has a bit more latency when doing a mesh handoff for a device that is on something other than 2.4GHz which causes Roon to skip tracks or even think the endpoint (the iPhone) has dropped off the network entirely. If that's true then, now that I've added another repeater to strengthen my mesh, it's actually an advantage in my setup that the 2Go is always on 2.4GHz. Whatever the reason I'm now a happy 2Go user.

Mar 21, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #5,187 of 6,288
Julian I’m hearing you on this.
I have a full Ubiquiti mesh set up and 57 devices connected within the home.
I’ve set up a dedicated WiFi for 2.4ghz only for all my connected devices, my controllers for all my fish tank app’s, my garage and most importantly my Bowers and Wilkins Formation set up. I spent a week on the phone with them Fault finding after so many people were struggling to keep devices connected and to be honest I nearly shipped the lot back.
We realised they only work off 2.4ghz for the duo’s and wedge “but” mesh in 5ghz and because of this if the WiFi try’s to automatically connect on 5ghz it all falls flat. Unless you can actually monitor them, you wouldn’t know as the app doesn’t tell you, so you need to force them to find 2.4ghz only.
So now it’s set to 2.4ghz only on the Ubiquiti user portal and I’ve never had an issue, the same as I shall set up the 2Go. I’ve always struggled with WiFi in my house and eventually had the same set up as our stores have and find Ubiquiti dynamite, with a good 200mbps download speed in most areas now.
Ring doorbell is another one that struggles with 5ghz, it’s solid in 2.4ghz, but 5ghz is always an issue.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #5,188 of 6,288
I have no problems with my 2go. Other than it seems to not be found at first; goes to standby or something.

I have to reset the 2go module quickly for it to be discovered by MConnect whenever I sit down to listen.
The fact that you say there are no problems while also saying that you have to reconnect the app every time shows how low are expectations are for the Hugo2go.
Can you imagine saying: “Yep, I have no issues with my new iPhone, well, except for having to re-enter my apartment wifi password every time I want to go online...“

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #5,189 of 6,288
Also I noticed a new problem with my unit since leaving it permanently plugged in.
Whenever I listen to it, after switching it off, the on/off switch glows bright white, which I believe means it’s recharging?
I have to cover the unit with a book or something otherwise its like having a light on on the bedside as we try to sleep. By morning the light has always gone out again.

My understanding is that the unit should be in desktop mode as it is permanently plugged into the mains and so there should never be lights shining when it is switched off as it should never need to recharge?
Am I missing something?

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #5,190 of 6,288
Public service announcement

Was at my local dealer today to pick up Abyss Diana V2, when he told me that they will be increasing price for all Chord products by 5%. This is to compensate for a price increase they see from the Chord dealership network. I don't see a point in him trying to mislead me, as I wasn't there to buy a Chord device in the first place (bought Hugo 2 from them a month ago).

So if you are thinking to buy anything Chord, consider doing it now! Unsure if this affects direct purchase from Chord, but worth calling your local dealer to ask about their upcoming prices. Hope this helps someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back