Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Nov 26, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #4,713 of 6,306
My intended usage was exactly the same as yours. I was disappointed to find out that I can't control via bluetooth, so I bought a portable router to link up my phone and 2go. In the end, I was frustrated by 1) 2go constantly disconnecting from the network, 2) 2go does not power on/off together with the hugo2, 3) many many other shenanigans.

Luckily I was able to returned my 2go. I find myself spending much more time with my music with a dap->hugo than with the 2go. In the limited time I had with the 2go, I probably spent more time trouble-shooting than listening to music.
I preordered the 2go after speaking to a chrd rep at canjam in nyc...he told me I could very easily control the 2 SD cards in the unit via my phone which is what I hoped for without all sorts of difficulty...when I realized that couldnt be done I cancelled my pre order and simply use my ak120 wired to my hugo 2....the whole affair has been underwhelming to say the least and I am amazed as many people have stuck it out as have

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #4,714 of 6,306
I preordered the 2go after speaking to a chrd rep at canjam in nyc...he told me I could very easily control the 2 SD cards in the unit via my phone which is what I hoped for without all sorts of difficulty...when I realized that couldnt be done I cancelled my pre order and simply use my ak120 wired to my hugo 2....the whole affair has been underwhelming to say the least and I am amazed as many people have stuck it out as have
Right?? I mean the product is called 2go for god sake. All Chord had to do was to implement 1) a hi-res bluetooth receiver and 2) control sd card playback via bluetooth. If I needed all these fuss about DLNA, wifi hotspot or ethernet, I'd buy a product called 2home.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #4,715 of 6,306
Right?? I mean the product is called 2go for god sake. All Chord had to do was to implement 1) a hi-res bluetooth receiver and 2) control sd card playback via bluetooth. If I needed all these fuss about DLNA, wifi hotspot or ethernet, I'd buy a product called 2home.
I think the Hugo name is supposed to be a take on "you go" as well, so you have a definite point.

The thing is that the original Hugo was so wildly popular because of the step increase in sound quality at that price point that people started using it as their main DAC in their home systems.

So the schizophrenia in the product line began. We then had the Hugo TT - "you go" and "Table Top" which is a contradiction in terms. Add to this that the original TT had batteries even though it was too heavy to be sensibly carried - and I did try before I traded it in for a DAVE 🙂 - whereas the TT2 has capacitors and no batteries. If the TT is supposed to be used on the table top then why did it even have batteries?

I won't even repeat my views on the confusion in the various form factors between the 2go/2yu, the Mscaler, and the DAVE, which would all have to be used together in Chord's best streaming digital front end...

Don't get me wrong, I loved the TT. But a significant use case for me was out and about and overseas and I just couldn't make it work. I got the DAVE for home and the Hugo 2 for away.

I still also have a Mojo that is gathering dust 🙂

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #4,716 of 6,306
Here's a picture of the Valentinum case that was delivered yesterday. What's particularly cool (pun intended) about this design is that the detachable cover when folded back allows a degree of air circulation to reach the Hugo/2go through the mesh grill on the underside of the case. Particularly useful if using when charging.
I can't praise the craftsmanship and quality of the case more highly, although as it took 19 days to deliver by regular registered post, I should have chosen a faster, if more expensive, option.

C7260682-D69E-46E2-952B-49C6E1A5F779.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #4,717 of 6,306
Have Chord sorted out all the problems on the 2Go yet? I returned my original one a few months ago as it was just hopeless. The wifi didn't work and Bluetooth was erratic as well. The implication is that it would all be sorted by some sort of magical firmware upgrade but given it could not connect properly to the internet, I could foresee the problems continuing. It also did not play properly trying to use an iPhone to control the tracks from my Apple Music library, which I had copied to a micro SD card. I like the concept of the 2 Go and as a Qobuz member and someone who listens to a lot of BBC R3, it should be a very useful add on to my Hugo 2 as a portable audio and streaming device - but only if it works.

What progress has been made since I returned my 2 Go for a refund, some 6 months ago? By the number of these for sale when they can only be a few months old, it does not look too optimistic.

Nov 28, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #4,718 of 6,306
Have Chord sorted out all the problems on the 2Go yet? I returned my original one a few months ago as it was just hopeless. The wifi didn't work and Bluetooth was erratic as well. The implication is that it would all be sorted by some sort of magical firmware upgrade but given it could not connect properly to the internet, I could foresee the problems continuing. It also did not play properly trying to use an iPhone to control the tracks from my Apple Music library, which I had copied to a micro SD card. I like the concept of the 2 Go and as a Qobuz member and someone who listens to a lot of BBC R3, it should be a very useful add on to my Hugo 2 as a portable audio and streaming device - but only if it works.

What progress has been made since I returned my 2 Go for a refund, some 6 months ago? By the number of these for sale when they can only be a few months old, it does not look too optimistic.

A new firmware update is "imminent" according to the recent Roon certification, or so we think. As with the poly, the 2go issues are being sorted out and things have improved significantly over the past several months.

It's up to you if you want to give it a go or not. Other than a very vocal few, I think there are more users using 2go now successfully than not. My 2go has worked very well from the start (purchased in Feb). Not perfect by any means, but not frustrating or hopeless.

The 2go experience is mirroring the poly experience. If you want to be safe, I'd wait for the new firmware update to drop.

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #4,719 of 6,306
Thanks Daniel. I will wait to see how the FW update works out. Interesting to see we both use our classic cars for avatars. Mine is a 1977 3.3L Porsche 911 RSR, that I found in a scrap yard in California 11 years ago and rebuilt it to near factory condition, albeit that some considerable number of rallies later, it now needs some cosmetic TLC :grinning:

Wilson

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #4,720 of 6,306
Thanks Daniel. I will wait to see how the FW update works out. Interesting to see we both use our classic cars for avatars. Mine is a 1977 3.3L Porsche 911 RSR, that I found in a scrap yard in California 11 years ago and rebuilt it to near factory condition, albeit that some considerable number of rallies later, it now needs some cosmetic TLC :grinning:

Wilson

Nice!

1974 E type race prepped (previous owner) with 6.5L V12. I don’t have the guts to race it though.

Keep an eye on this thread, I’m sure the 2go FW update will create some “discussion “.:sweat_smile:

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #4,721 of 6,306
Here's a picture of the Valentinum case that was delivered yesterday. What's particularly cool (pun intended) about this design is that the detachable cover when folded back allows a degree of air circulation to reach the Hugo/2go through the mesh grill on the underside of the case. Particularly useful if using when charging.
I can't praise the craftsmanship and quality of the case more highly, although as it took 19 days to deliver by regular registered post, I should have chosen a faster, if more expensive, option.

Thanks!

Is the charging micro-USB exposed on the other end?

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #4,722 of 6,306

I have the same case in black and red. Never realized it could do this. Thanks!

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #4,723 of 6,306
Thanks!

Is the charging micro-USB exposed on the other end?

Yes. Valentinum makes them so you can access the SD card slots and USB,

Apparently if you ask Valentinum, he can modify the case to cover everything but the USB port. Go to post 4471 and 4472 to see what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back