Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Oct 10, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #4,426 of 6,306
It seems clear from this thread and the Poly one that Chord do not have significant in-house software expertise. They also evidently have a poor track record of managing software developed by third-parties. They are incapable or unwilling of giving a best estimate of when a solution will be found, or what is holding one up. Contrast that to other manufacturers like Cambridge who got their approval sorted within days of Roons new tough line, and others who pulled out of the program and changed their website. Chord can’t even change their website.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/uncertified-roon-ready-devices-announcement/120298/54

Agreed. It’s a matter of resourcing and Chord either can’t or won’t give it adequate time or money. I’ve had both my retailer and supplier tell me that Chord is a unique company that is incredibly fastidious about ensuring its customers are happy and they only release products to market when they are sure they are ready. Clearly when it comes to software they have a huge blind spot.

Oct 10, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #4,427 of 6,306
I think for the last six months, due to Covid 19, a lot of things that were planned are not happening. The UK is about to enter a second wave, and my home town is about to shut down all hospitality venues and bar inter household mixing for a second time.
It's a chaotic time. People are fraught and stressed. From personal experience, I've found it difficult to get some things done, because of staff absences or realignment of business priorities.
I've no idea whether any of this applies to this problem specifically, but Chord did say Covid 19 has affected the 2Yu launch timetable.
It doesn't excuse the lack of communication, though.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #4,428 of 6,306
Amusing self user error admission:

Was Air-playing Qobuz from my iPad. A couple times it just stopped playing in the middle of a track. I checked, and Qobuz was still running/playing, and volume hadn’t been reduced or muted. I tried disconnecting/reconnecting H2go from AirPlay, but no joy. Turned H20 off and back on, and everything was fine. Same story twice in a row.

Punchline:

I had put some stuff on top of the Hugo remote, and nudged something which resulted in switching inputs to Hugo.

Quoting first tech support person: The system would work perfectly if it weren’t for the stupid end-users.

Oct 11, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #4,429 of 6,306
I'm beginning to think Chord are distancing themselves from this product even more - someone on Facebook just asked about the official case availability to be met with the usual non-information:

"you’ll be the first to find out on Facebook if we do release any cases for 2go! I’ll forward your suggestion onto the production team, many thanks 👍"

They haven't even got one in the pipeline!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #4,430 of 6,306
I'm beginning to think Chord are distancing themselves from this product even more - someone on Facebook just asked about the official case availability to be met with the usual non-information:

"you’ll be the first to find out on Facebook if we do release any cases for 2go! I’ll forward your suggestion onto the production team, many thanks 👍"

They haven't even got one in the pipeline!
Given that there seem to be several third-party cases for the 2go already out there, including makers who will even heavily customise their excellent products to individual user requests, I really don't see what there would be in it for Chord to produce their own.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #4,431 of 6,306
Given that there seem to be several third-party cases for the 2go already out there, including makers who will even heavily customise their excellent products to individual user requests, I really don't see what there would be in it for Chord to produce their own.
The 3rd party cases were (thankfully) a response to the lack of an official one. It seems illogical that a similar case to the Hugo2 wasn't available at launch or close after considering most Hugo 2 owners would have to ditch their existing official cases. For a premium product that previously had an official case this seems apathetic.I realise the current situation has a bearing, but they clearly had no intention to ever make one to support the combo. Saying that I'm very happy with my Valentinum case, it's just another example of this product not given the attention it deserves.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #4,432 of 6,306
it's just another example of this product not being important to Chord.
I think you are stretching plausibility with that inference/comment.
In the present covid impacted world, the priorities for manufacturers (of all sorts) will be:
  • maintaining cash in the bank
  • ensuring the health of their employees - this may include working from home, which inevitably introduces some inefficiencies
  • maintaining their supply chains - the alternative is to stop production
  • maintaining their distribution chains - the alternative is to stop production, because it is self-defeating to use up the cash in the bank, producing a large stock of products, for dealers who have had to close their shops, because of covid lockdowns
  • postpone new product development - because product development eats up the cash reserves, and may not generate any income for another couple of years
Developing/releasing a new 2Go case will come a long way down that list of priorities (a 'nice to have' only if Chord can first ensure all the higher priorities).
However it would be wrong to infer from that alone, that Chord regards the 2Go itself as unimportant.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #4,433 of 6,306
In the present covid impacted world, the priorities for manufacturers (of all sorts) will be:
  • ensuring the health of their employees - this may include working from home, which inevitably introduces some inefficiencies
  • maintaining their distribution chains - the alternative is to stop production, because it is self-defeating to use up the cash in the bank, producing a large stock of products, for dealers who have had to close their shops, because of covid lockdowns
  • postpone new product development - because product development eats up the cash reserves, and may not generate any income for another couple of years
Developing/releasing a new 2Go case will come a long way down that list of priorities (a 'nice to have' only if Chord can first ensure all the higher priorities).
However it would be wrong to infer from that alone, that Chord regards the 2Go itself as unimportant.
All those things are important, but the most important thing for a business is customers, and if you leave them in the dark, communicate badly, or give vacuous responses to genuine enquiries, you will lose customers and you will lose goodwill. Now, more than ever, Chord should be communicating.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #4,434 of 6,306
I said "another example". Clearly not that alone and I acknowledged the current situation. Along with the other issues reported here and the lack of clarity with the Roon situation, it's a face of the company I'm not used to seeing. They certainly shouldn't still be inferring on their website it will currently work with Roon - and yes, an official case should have been sorted to coincide with launch. They already had connection with Van Nuys - they aren't saying it's been unfortunately delayed, they clearly had no intention to have a case for the 2go in the first place.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #4,436 of 6,306
You continue with your allegations about the case.
I invite you to post your proof behind that statement, and not just opinions/allegations.
The floor is yours.
Quote from Chord on Facebook today : Hi, you’ll be the first to find out on Facebook if we do release any cases for 2go! I’ll forward your suggestion onto the production team, many thanks 👍

Oct 11, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #4,437 of 6,306
All those things are important, but the most important thing for a business is customers, and if you leave them in the dark, communicate badly, or give vacuous responses to genuine enquiries, you will lose customers and you will lose goodwill. Now, more than ever, Chord should be communicating.
I was responding to assertions about the 2Go case, not the level of Chord communication - but you are quick on your feet in trying to move the goalposts.

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #4,438 of 6,306
Oct 11, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #4,439 of 6,306
Oct 11, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #4,440 of 6,306
So that contradicts the FB post today which doesn't refer to anything already in the pipeline or delayed. Clearly an uninformed rep on FB posting incorrect information - I rest my case.
Yes the FB post seems strange.
Certainly Chord were working on a case in April, but maybe various covid repercussions mean that the case has not come to fruition.
The FB post does leave the impression, that the work on the case must have been disrupted so badly, that little or no progress has been made since April.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back