Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Feb 13, 2020 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6,265

As shown at the beginning of the Head-Fi 2020 CanJam New York video, Chord's long awaited 2Go is not only a wireless streaming adaptor for the Hugo 2, but also includes a wired ethernet socket for people who want to use it where they have a Hugo 2 fixed in place.

Anticipating the desire for people to use the 2Go with other DACs, they created the 2Yu adaptor that turns the 2Go into network streamer that outputs via USB, optical and S/PDIF.

This is totally what I need for my home system.

Feb 13, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 6,265
Agree it is potentially ideal for a home set up, but a lot will depend on the quality of their software. Given the aggravation that many have had with the Poly I wouldn’t be interested in buying such a thing unless it was utterly rock solid. Any idea what the pair will sell for? £2000? More? Less? Is it restricted to 2.4GHz like the Poly? But the cabling arrangement doesn’t seem very well thought out for a home product - am I right in seeing sockets on three sides?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 6,265
Considering most streamers (and most DACs) are pretty large, it does neatly bring the size of a streaming set-up right down. I did notice the addition of the ethernet socket compared to what we saw on the original prototypes, which didn't have it.

What I'd like to see is some kind of stand to put a Hugo 2 and 2Go into. I say this as my Hugo 2 would get quite warm if laid flat, but if I put it on something like an iPad stand for better airflow, it runs quite a bit cooler.

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 6,265
There’s some more pictures here.

https://tinhte.vn/threads/chord-2go...-2-va-nhieu-dac-khac.3082078/?_xfNoRedirect=1

The 2Yu seems to somewhat more than just an i/o extender - there are four control balls for power, input, mute and Dim, but alas the legends on the 2Go are different as they correspond to functions on the Hugo2!

It also begs the question as to why you need the 2Yu for home use - why couldn’t you just go from the micro-usb output of the 2Go? Or do Chord enforce a handshake like they do with the Poly to lock other uses out?

Would also be interested to know if Rob has had anything to do with the engineering of either product, given the seeming sensitivity of the DACs and MScaler to RF.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 6,265
Control balls mirror hugo2 is it just aesthetics as they refer to the buttons in hugo 2 which are for dac purposes of hugo 2 in principle. As far as for the use with other DACs Main purpose imho is to allow 2go to use with mscaler and other chord DACs including h2 so hugo2 mscaler owners will benefit the most of the device combo.

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 6,265
Control balls mirror hugo2 is it just aesthetics as they refer to the buttons in hugo 2 which are for dac purposes of hugo 2 in principle. As far as for the use with other DACs Main purpose imho is to allow 2go to use with mscaler and other chord DACs including h2 so hugo2 mscaler owners will benefit the most of the device combo.
Read my previous post! And look at the pictures in the link in it. The control balls all have functions which are labelled and do not mirror those in the Hugo2.

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 6,265
Another thought .. wouldnt it just be much neater and cheaper to make a one box product combining the 2Go and 2Yu for use at home? With the inputs and outputs at the back and the lights/controls at the front? And not sure SD card input has a place in a home system.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #12 of 6,265
Most important - sound quality vs laptop. If it is more transparent (straight to dac or via HMS) then price suits well. If it is just nice looking unit with only upnp dlna function - dunno...
Sound quality vs laptop would of course be interesting to find out about.
I normally listen to downloads via Qutest/HMS/MBP via usb and either speakers or headphones.
I can also listen to cds via optical from either of my wo cd players.
And with the cd players all I have to do is to have optical connected, load a disc and press PLAY!
Simple and very functional.
I might be interested in this new combo if it will improve even further on my HMS/Qutest than my MBP via usb and Audirvana.
BUT I have on important question apart from SQ?
Will I still need a THIRD UNIT like a smartphone or an iPad or laptop to be able to play music stored onto sd cards in a 2GO?
If so I think Chord has completely lost me as a potential customer.

Chord seems to make customers buy not only an expensive 2GO plus a a 2You for those who want to use the sd card playing facility with any other dac than the H2.
And if my fears are confirmed not only that, they have to use yet another unit to actually make these two units work at all?
There are already LOADS of DAPs that have ALL the functionality needed built in to ONE unit.

I don't see any signs of any CONTROL SCREEN on either of the two new Chord toys!
Even the cheapest Chinese or Japanese DAPs have one!
If an iPhone or iPad is needed with these two my interest in them is nil.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #13 of 6,265
Sound quality vs laptop would of course be interesting to find out about.
I normally listen to downloads via Qutest/HMS/MBP via usb and either speakers or headphones.
I can also listen to cds via optical from either of my wo cd players.
And with the cd players all I have to do is to have optical connected, load a disc and press PLAY!
Simple and very functional.
I might be interested in this new combo if it will improve even further on my HMS/Qutest than my MBP via usb and Audirvana.
BUT I have on important question apart from SQ?
Will I still need a THIRD UNIT like a smartphone or an iPad or laptop to be able to play music stored onto sd cards in a 2GO?
If so I think Chord has completely lost me as a potential customer.

Chord seems to make customers buy not only an expensive 2GO plus a a 2You for those who want to use the sd card playing facility with any other dac than the H2.
And if my fears are confirmed not only that, they have to use yet another unit to actually make these two units work at all?
There are already LOADS of DAPs that have ALL the functionality needed built in to ONE unit.

I don't see any signs of any CONTROL SCREEN on either of the two new Chord toys!
Even the cheapest Chinese or Japanese DAPs have one!
If an iPhone or iPad is needed with these two my interest in them is nil.
Cheers CC
Unfortunately an iPhone, Android Phone or tablet IS required. Just like the Poly/Mojo which I have. It normally sits idle as my DAP does everything it can except for the Roon integration which is very nice if you are using around the house mobile.

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #14 of 6,265
https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/chord-electronics-2go-and-2yu-announced

Prices:

"
Price and availability

Like all of Chord Electronics' hardware, 2go and 2yu are handmade in the UK and share the same aircraft-grade aluminium casework, along with design cues from the Hugo 2.

The Chord Electronics 2go is available now for £995, and 2yu will cost £449 when it becomes available in the next few weeks.

Hugo 2 is priced at £1,800.

"

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 6,265
I loved it! Gonna upgrade my Hugo 2 to a TT2 and buy that duo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back