Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Feb 13, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #17 of 6,285
https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/chord-electronics-2go-and-2yu-announced

Prices:

"
Price and availability

Like all of Chord Electronics' hardware, 2go and 2yu are handmade in the UK and share the same aircraft-grade aluminium casework, along with design cues from the Hugo 2.

The Chord Electronics 2go is available now for £995, and 2yu will cost £449 when it becomes available in the next few weeks.

Hugo 2 is priced at £1,800.

"

According to that article it only has 2.4GHz wifi, so that’s one of my questions answered. Why wouldn’t it have 5GHz wifi too?

How on earth do you put it with say a TT2 or DAVE and MScaler such that you can use the controls, see the lights, and not have cables going all over the place?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #18 of 6,285
According to that article it only has 2.4GHz wifi, so that’s one of my questions answered. Why wouldn’t it have 5GHz wifi too?

How on earth do you put it with say a TT2 or DAVE and MScaler such that you can use the controls, see the lights, and not have cables going all over the place?
It is 2.4GHz wifi only as the official webpage is up.
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/2go/

On one hand, I agree with John Franks that most people can have a 2.4GHz wifi network for streaming and it’ll be fine. Moreover 2.4GHz wifi has much better range. On the other hand, my apartment is so densely flooded with 2.4GHz wifi signal that I personally only have a 5GHz wifi network. As a non-engineer,all I know is that all designs require some compromise. Adding 5GHz wifi would probably lead to other compromises that made Chord not add it.

I also don’t fully understand the cable comment. I have a different streamer. You need power cable to the streamer and you need a USB cable from the streamer to the M-Scaler. If your streamer uses Ethernet connection, there’s an Ethernet cable. That’s it. Not sure what is meant by cables running all over. That’s true for every streamer.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #19 of 6,285

On one hand, I agree with John Franks that most people can have a 2.4GHz wifi network for streaming and it’ll be fine. Moreover 2.4GHz wifi has much better range. On the other hand, my apartment is so densely flooded with 2.4GHz wifi signal that I personally only have a 5GHz wifi network. As a non-engineer,all I know is that all designs require some compromise. Adding 5GHz wifi would probably lead to other compromises that made Chord not add it.

I also don’t fully understand the cable comment. I have a different streamer. You need power cable to the streamer and you need a USB cable from the streamer to the M-Scaler. If your streamer uses Ethernet connection, there’s an Ethernet cable. That’s it. Not sure what is meant by cables running all over. That’s true for every streamer.

I imagine most steamers have all connections on the same side of the device. That's the issue.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #20 of 6,285
As a Poly owner, I will be buying 2Go for my Hugo 2. Excited!

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #21 of 6,285

Well suppose you put the 2Go/2Yu thing flat on a shelf, either above or to the side of your M scaler. You could have the USB cable coming out of the back of it to the back of the MScaler. But then that would seem to put the ethernet connection at the side, and the power connection at the front, and make the four control buttons hard to use and see. I would’t call that elegant. 2.4GHz is only for legacy stuff nowadays, and may indeed be difficult for some mesh networks to deal with. istr Poly having problems on mesh networks - I imagine this is sorted now though.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #22 of 6,285

Why 2.4Ghz only? This kinda sabotages my use. Are we in 2008? C’mon

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #24 of 6,285
Why not connect the unit with Ethernet, which I do with my current streamer? Then use optical to isolate it from the Mscaler, works for me.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #26 of 6,285
Why not connect the unit with Ethernet, which I do with my current streamer? Then use optical to isolate it from the Mscale, works for me.
No reason why not to, but you would have cables coming in and out on three sides and still not be able to easily see or use the controls. And the output from the 2Go is on micro-usb. Why would you want a conversion to optical?

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #28 of 6,285
I am talking about the 2U, optical is known for isolation properties.
i would have hoped that a Chord product wouldn’t need extra isolation from another Chord product. Using optical means there is an extra conversion process going on inside the 2Yu. Fair enough, if you want to use it as a sample rate converter, which it can be, but I would’ve hoped that USB was fine. If you use optical the clock in the 2Yu is controlling the show, rather than the clock in the M Scaler. It might not matter though. Time will tell. I think Hugo2 owners are the real target. TT2/M Scaler/DAVE owners are just an afterthought. £500 for a USB to USB converter is a bit much!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #29 of 6,285
I’m pretty disappointed that you lose the USB port in the back. My ideal use case is to play Roon via the 2go but switch to usb if I need to watch a video on my computer. Now, it looks like I’ll need to use an optical connection. And as others have said, that means I’ll have wires coming out of the front that will have to snake around my desk to get to my computer. Love the Hugo 2, but the ergonomics are all wrong for desktop usage.

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #30 of 6,285
I’m pretty disappointed that you lose the USB port in the back. My ideal use case is to play Roon via the 2go but switch to usb if I need to watch a video on my computer. Now, it looks like I’ll need to use an optical connection. And as others have said, that means I’ll have wires coming out of the front that will have to snake around my desk to get to my computer. Love the Hugo 2, but the ergonomics are all wrong for desktop usage.

It really doesn't make any sense for desktop, especially when you have excellent sounding/preforming RPi based solutions for much, much cheaper. If you're out and about with the Hugo2 a decent amount I think it might make sense, but then you could just get a decent DAP with SPDIF out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back