Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Sep 11, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #4,277 of 6,290
Quite. But why put your customers through this crap in the first place?
Perhaps this comment should be posed to the equipment manufacturers taking advantage and making money off Roon Ready certification. Remember this certification is free while Roon is fielding support issues. Many re Chord I’m sure.

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #4,279 of 6,290
can you please explain this for the non-techies (e.g., me).

I have a bridged VPN server setup on my router that allows me to connect to my home network from any PC I want, which then allows me to connect to my Roon core.

It has to be a bridged VPN rather than tunnel though because Roon uses Windows PC names/broadcast to communicate.

There are a couple of write ups on the Roon page if you do a Google search.

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #4,280 of 6,290
Perhaps this comment should be posed to the equipment manufacturers taking advantage and making money off Roon Ready certification.

Roon knew when they took a lifetime subscription from me, that there was a significant quota of well known equipment names that hadn't yet met their certification standards or were in the process of approval. Did they warn me about it? Did they ****. They took my money. I suspect things have been bumbling along for quite some time, with Roon growing off the backs of reputable audio companies and vice versa. Until the Roon COO woke up one morning and decided things have gotta change....

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #4,281 of 6,290
Roon knew when they took a lifetime subscription from me, that there was a significant quota of well known equipment names that hadn't yet met their certification standards or were in the process of approval. Did they warn me about it? Did they ****. They took my money. I suspect things have been bumbling along for quite some time, with Roon growing off the backs of reputable audio companies and vice versa. Until the Roon COO woke up one morning and decided things have gotta change....

I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous assessment of the situation.

Sep 11, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #4,283 of 6,290
Explain why.
It seems that Roon has a certification process, it is free, and it is getting abused my manufacturers jumping the gun. I think Roon should require a $10,000 deposit, to be refunded upon certification, unless the terms are violated in which case it would be forfeited. Maybe $100k is more appropriate. Depends on who these manufacturers are.

Sep 11, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #4,284 of 6,290
Lifetime subscription here too with a differing opinion and backing Roon. To each his own. Let’s enjoy the music. Prog On!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #4,285 of 6,290
Lifetime subscription here too with a differing opinion and backing Roon. To each his own. Let’s enjoy the music. Prog On!
Agree..enjoy the music....But!!!! Two lifetime subs here, each on servers in different geographical locations and I intend to use the one 2go with both subs. You can imagine my upset and panic on receiving emails from Roon.
Not at all any fairness to Moi.
First a drama with the 2go being sub par on high res streaming, now a drama with roon.
Not Happy.

Sep 11, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #4,286 of 6,290
Thank you for some levity. I wouldn't trust Roon's COO as far as I could throw him, but you're right it's all about the music at the end of the day. As a Yes/ King Crimson/ Genesis man, I whole heartedly agree with your Prog On sentiment. I last saw Rick Wakeman in Toronto in 2014, I think, at the Danforth Music Hall with about 400 others. So very different obviously from the heydays of the 1970's, but still so enjoyable.

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #4,287 of 6,290
It seems that Roon has a certification process, it is free, and it is getting abused my manufacturers jumping the gun. I think Roon should require a $10,000 deposit, to be refunded upon certification, unless the terms are violated in which case it would be forfeited. Maybe $100k is more appropriate. Depends on who these manufacturers are.

Roon users should be happy that they forcing manufacturers to have products that meet some kind of minimum quality standards. So not sure why everybody goes after Roon rather than the manufacturers who did not meet the requirements.

I will try the 2GO later again when the 2YU is released to see it improves the sound quality of the Chord Dave as an experiment. If I do end up buying the 2GO + 2YU (i doubt it will sound much better but we shall see), it looks like I have to switch to Roon to ensure that everything works as intended.

Sep 12, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #4,288 of 6,290
We are aware of the discussion surrounding Roon certification and would like to clarify in response to some of the statements (from various sources), to avoid any misinterpretation or misunderstanding.

At the beginning of 2020, 2go was sent to Roon for certification. We met with Roon’s senior certification engineer at NY CanJam and discussed his findings. On the whole, everything was good, but there were some issues that needed further investigation.

A few weeks later, Chord Electronics received Roon’s official test report and began work. However, simultaneously, the Covid pandemic struck, severely limiting businesses and we, like many, had to close down the majority of our operations. We resumed the project as soon as we realistically could and have now, of course, received the latest communication from Roon.

At this point, we are unable to comment further on what is an internal development matter between Chord Electronics and Roon. Rest assured, we are working with Roon, despite unprecedented Covid restrictions, to ensure that 2go is certified in line with other current Chord Electronics products and wish to see the matter resolved without disruption to our customers.

Matthew Bartlett

Managing Director

Thanks for the update Matt and I just want to thank you for the other day and more importantly, for mojo and poly, they work excellent with roon and I have every faith in Chord that 2go will also be roon certified giving time, it may take a little longer due to covid limitations.

Cheers

Sep 12, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #4,289 of 6,290
Explain why.
Agree Roon could’ve handled situation differently.

The RAAT SDK is free to use and develop. Danny Dulai mentioned that in the uncertified thread. The only devices affected are the ones manufacturers submitted to Roon for Roon Ready certification. Those who advertised Roon Ready (without complete certification) and sold product to consumers violated their agreement.

i don’t think it’s clear who helps who succeed. For example,I never would’ve bought a 2go or poly if it weren’t Roon compatible. I’m a lifetime subscriber too. I think manufacturers, like Chord, gain a huge benefit from the existence of Roon.

Sep 12, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #4,290 of 6,290
"free to use and develop" doesnt mean "free to use as you like". Roon has stated there is a contractual requirement for using the term Roon Ready.

The roon website states (https://kb.roonlabs.com/RAAT etc)

"Enforce high quality user experiences via a certification program. User experience is another core competency for us. We are actively pushing hardware companies to make better user experiences by iterating with them on the product before allowing them to be released. We require parity between RoonReady integrations and other audio protocols offered by the devices, ensuring that Roon support does not become a second class citizen. Another requirement of the certification program is that hardware manufacturers leave devices with us long-term for support and QA."

And this:

"Roon Ready is the highest level of Roon integration available to partners, and means that Roon technology is actually customized for, and embedded into, thei devices.
It's a designation given to audio player hardware products that have both implemented RAAT, and have been certified by Roon Labs for proper implementation."

Note the "and have been certified by Roon Labs"

Not "and might be certified by Roon at some point in the future"

Now this is not the signed contract between a developer and Roon. But I think Roon's position is clear, and has always been clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back