Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jul 17, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #3,241 of 6,314
YES i have tested all the bit rates .... once over 192... skipping starts.... reasonable stable with 192. This is where the issues lie. CHORD????
I have all the issues that you do and have never upsampled. i listen to flac only
In fact I con't even figure out how I would upsample in roon? I seem to have the options of precise or smooth with linear or minimum phase, no mention of numbers?

Roon is incredibly sensitive to network issues - if you are using Roon and experiencing track skips etc it's most likely your network, not the 2Go. Even worse on wifi of course due to network delays/congestion.
But I only have network issues using the 2go as an endpoint.
With the laptop or ipad as endpoints, I never have connection issues

I'm looking to invest in a pair of closed backs that would pair well with the h2go. Upto a grand is my budget. My trusty ol viso hp50's are creaky with age. I was thinking of dan clark's aeon 2's.
Any recommendations would be welcome!
That is my exact setup for listening in bed so as not to disturb the wife. I can strongly recommend the Aeon 2s

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #3,242 of 6,314
To be honest, 3rd party apps can work if Chord follows their implementation like everybody else. My Samsung 4K TV works extremely good with a wide range of 3rd party apps actually.

However it appears Chord is doing something very strange in comparison to the rest. With my best app (which is an app that streams via Airplay 2, UPnP/DLNA, Chrome Cast, and so on ..... ) works as expected for all my streaming capable devices here except the Poly and the 2GO. For example.

Samsung 4K TV list the following outputs:
1. Airplay 2
2. UPnP/DLNA

Poly & 2GO only list:
1. UPnP/DLNA

So where is Airplay? Now you would think it is a problem of the app. But all my other devices (even my cheapo Bose smart speakers) are being listed properly except for Chord. So Chord is doing something strange for this 3rd party app not being able to detect Airplay from the 2Go and Poly.

This is just an example of what I notice between Chord and everybody else and thus why relying on 3rd party apps might not be a good idea for Chord.

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #3,243 of 6,314
But I only have network issues using the 2go as an endpoint.
With the laptop or ipad as endpoints, I never have connection issues
The one common denominator for the various faults many of us encounter is 2Go. We all have other methods of playing back music that don't involve 2Go and there are no issues. Time for Chord to come clean. The silence from them in the last few days since the upgrade is ominous, they are bricking it I reckon. In fact knowing we were all keen for an upgrade they never even told us on here there was one available. Seems like they've circled the wagons, if so its a shocking state of affairs.

Jul 17, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #3,244 of 6,314
with the new FW update you needed to reenter wireless passwords etc... this may have thrown some people off... check the basics first.

What does my wifi network have to do with the GoFigure app which works via bluetooth?

Perhaps you check the basics first.

And how exactly would someone reenter their wireless passwords without the GoFigure app?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #3,245 of 6,314
To be honest, 3rd party apps can work if Chord follows their implementation like everybody else. My Samsung 4K TV works extremely good with a wide range of 3rd party apps actually.

However it appears Chord is doing something very strange in comparison to the rest. With my best app (which is an app that streams via Airplay 2, UPnP/DLNA, Chrome Cast, and so on ..... ) works as expected for all my streaming capable devices here except the Poly and the 2GO. For example.

Samsung 4K TV list the following outputs:
1. Airplay 2
2. UPnP/DLNA

Poly & 2GO only list:
1. UPnP/DLNA

So where is Airplay? Now you would think it is a problem of the app. But all my other devices (even my cheapo Bose smart speakers) are being listed properly except for Chord. So Chord is doing something strange for this 3rd party app not being able to detect Airplay from the 2Go and Poly.

This is just an example of what I notice between Chord and everybody else and thus why relying on 3rd party apps might not be a good idea for Chord.
this is simply BAD software development... period.

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #3,246 of 6,314
As a fan of Chord I do find it concerning that they have not developed an app to control and configure their hardware over which they have complete control. At the moment they are at the mercy of 3rd-party developers who could lose interest in their apps without warning, leaving Chord and their customers high and dry.

Chord should regard this as a serious threat to the viability of their streaming products.

I saw a review of the dCS Bartok being controlled by the dCS Mosaic app and it did look very hassle-free. Maybe the UI wasn't the absolute smoothest but that was more than made up for by the fact that the Bartok users have not been cast adrift on the Internet in the way the 2go users have been.

I do think that Chord should at least host basic how-to videos showing step by step setup from scratch for common use cases. Also how to set up the major client apps like BubbleUPnP, mconnect, rigellian etc and how to make qobuz, tidal, Roon etc actually work.

It strikes me that a consumer electronics product should not require its purchasers to be network geeks in order that it should work. Many many customers will have neither the wherewithal nor the inclination to do this.

It puts me in mind of the early days of home networking where only experts had a hope of setting a network up. Then the router guys got it sorted with the now ubiquitous connect button - you plug it in, find it on your pc or whatever and then push the button to connect and all the tricky settings are taken care of automatically.

This is how it needs to be with the 2go.

Good point on dCS, but the Mosiac app is the third iteration of their software. The first one was a joke, and the second one was decent. Mosiac is actually pretty good. Thus, I am holding out hope that Chord eventually will get there on software. It took dCS a few years.

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #3,247 of 6,314
I use one of these to hold my h2go when outside hiking or walking... also goes around waist. https://asrv.co/collections/accessories/products/0157-molle-utility-cross-body-bag-woodland-camo
Crossbody-5_2000x.jpg

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #3,248 of 6,314
I have all the issues that you do and have never upsampled. i listen to flac only
In fact I con't even figure out how I would upsample in roon? I seem to have the options of precise or smooth with linear or minimum phase, no mention of numbers?
The complete roon upsampling window is not available on phones. You need to view roon in a laptop to access it.
15950365372925473245277317564321.jpg

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #3,250 of 6,314
I did some testing with Roon last night and this morning. Aside from a Chord glitch I had powering down the 2Go where it became unresponsive for a bit (different issue that I think has been outlined by many others--I think there is definitely issues when you try to operate the unit while charging), I definitely could recreate some others' findings when upsampling/higher file rates. For transparency, I haven't been upsampling in Roon for the Chord to date, so that may help explain why I was having less (little-to-no) issues with the network connections (on battery).

As for streaming rates and associated issues, I concur that the tipping point is somewhere around 96k streaming. I was able to put in a pretty solid few hours last night streaming native 96k. This morning I played around with further upsampling in Roon, and you can create issues pretty darn quickly the higher you go. I maintained almost a full album (50 min) at 176k, but then had some fumbles. Upsampling to DSD and the issues are almost immediate. They did NOT require me to restart the H2Go nor Roon, but definitely caused playback stoppage and the Roon "slow network or hardware problems" messages. Maybe this is an improvement over the need to reboot the H2Go, but it still far from ideal for anyone who wants to upsample or play high files over wifi.

As a non-techie, I am going to speculate there is a buffering issue with the H2Go.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #3,251 of 6,314
So just to clarify, all of my connection issues have been without any upsampling turned on.

But now I know that roon upsampling exists, if Chord can sort out the connection problems, what would be the optimal upsampling settings for streaming FLAC files to the2go?

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #3,252 of 6,314
I had some connection issues periodically without upsampling (and many others did a lot more regularly than I did it seems), so I think we're just saying upsampled/higher-res files seem to be able to push the device to have the issues even faster/more regularly/for more folks.

As to the second part of your question, for me, I'm not hearing a difference with the upsampling--as in mine sounds just as phenomenal NOT upsampling, so for longer-term usage I will probably just go full native and not mess with the upsampling for this device. I would be curious if others feel they are hearing a difference.

To amend my previous post, I think that 192K is also pretty stable for me. Got about a full hour in without an issue and counting.

So I don't know if this is well documented, has been posted, or is available online, but does anyone know what size and speed memory the 2Go has?

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #3,253 of 6,314
So I don't know if this is well documented, has been posted, or is available online, but does anyone know what size and speed memory the 2Go has?
I don't remember details such as the speed being posted anywhere.

I think it would be great if everyone can listen to their chosen music, without issues of stuttering, error messages, etc.
However at the moment, I sense that you and radnor are trying to lump together several issues together, which probably have different root causes.
So in order to try and find a way forward, to solve (or at least document) some of these issues:

• From memory there are one or more posts on the Poly thread, about Roon messages for example https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...ful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/post-13836143 so in such instances, it would be wrong to blame 2Go for this. However this leaves 'open' the question as to whether the root cause is the Tidal server or the owners network settings.
  • Regarding Roon upsampling, maybe there is a practical limit to the amount of upsampling that Roon can achieve in real time - you and radnor have posted about the max upsampling rates that you can achieve, but this still leaves unanswered what the source was, Tidal, SD card, etc.
At work I would capture information such as this in a 'Lessons Learnt' or a REX 'Return on Experience' or a 'Best Practice' memo, so that other users could benefit from this knowledge.
If you guys are agreeable, let's try and capture this REX, and presumably incorporate it into the Chord 2Go FAQ page, so that everyone else (especially the 99% of owners who are not on head-fi) can benefit from this knowledge.
What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back