Choosing studio headphones - real life tests inside
Jun 29, 2011 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lyons238

Head-Fier
iv been on the hunt for a good studio monitoring headphone that i can use for producing/mixing, the occasional dj, and just normal everyday listening.

my budget is $250 ebay/amazon prices.

the main contenders i have in mind are...

- Ultrasone Pro 750 - just 30 mins ago i was set on these. everyone told me they are great and pretty flat. until i watched this video that tested the 900's and they didn't seem so flat. in fact one of Ultrasone's HFI phones tested to be more flat. this worries me. also the frequency graph doesn't look good for these..

- Denon AH D2000 - yesterday i was set on these until everyone on here told me they were not going to be good or flat enough to produce with. but the same video as i mentioned before tested these to actually be very flat with a slight boost in the lower end. but the lower end went all the way down to 20hz at a clean sine wave, where every other headphone distorted at that point. impressive.

- Shure SRH940 - i don't know much about these but they must be good right? how is the bass on these?

here's the first of the testing video's. the last bit of tests are the better ones...this guy is a sound engineer and seems to really like the Denon AH D2000's. so maybe some of you are too quick to say its not for studio use. you have to search for part 5 the last bit of testing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh8B1QfEn0&feature=related

the frequency charts can be found here...the denon d2000 seems to have one of the best responses as well.
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=283&graphID%5B1%5D=2881&graphID%5B2%5D=933&graphID%5B3%5D=3101&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

so now what? im so bent on these 3 headphones...

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 10
The Denons have a very noticable recessed midrange, I wouldn't really recommend them for studio usage. The again a lot of modern music is not very mid centric so It may be ok, or you can just EQ the midrange up. I can't speak for the other phones, but the AKG k240 studio continue to be my recommendation for a nice neutral studio headphone, that is used by many professionals.

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
The Denons have a very noticable recessed midrange, I wouldn't really recommend them for studio usage. The again a lot of modern music is not very mid centric so It may be ok, or you can just EQ the midrange up. I can't speak for the other phones, but the AKG k240 studio continue to be my recommendation for a nice neutral studio headphone, that is used by many professionals.

i need  closed headphone and the k271 is lacking bass.

the ultrasone frequency graph seems to show that they have more bass than the denons. do you think this is true? i always thought they d2000's would have just a tad more bass or at least the same as the Pro 750's. man this choice is hard...its driving me insane

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 10
I haven't heard the Ultrasones, but the graphs do indeed say that they have a higher bass hump, The Denons are a good phone if you EQ out the recessed mids, The d2000's bass if slightly above neutral,  many people criticize it for being farty, because it does rumble, it has high bass impact. It's been a while since I owned them (they were my first headphones.)

I would research the srh840 and 940 more as well, I have always had my eyes on those, though never got to try them, they seem to be fairly neutral, and closed. Just to caution again though, if you aren't willing to EQ the mid problem in the denon's I wouldn't get them, for monitoring the recessed mids will drive you nuts.

Sorry I can't help more, but I don't want to make recommendations for things I haven't heard. The k240 Studio do not leak very much sound at all, actually the d2000's may leak slightly more, so If you are worried about leaking cross that concern off your list, they do let slightly more sound from outside in, although not much.

Hope any of this helped, my recommendation still goes to the k240S (although they aren't really DJ headphones) even though you want closed, but keep it up ask other opinions and keep researching, best of luck. :)

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #5 of 10
Even though I don't have testing equipment or something like that all I can say is I have the Ultrasone Pro 750 as my casual, fun can and they're definitely not flat. I also have the GMP 8.35D an all I can say is they might be what you are looking for.  You might want to check on them and find about they're frequency response and all that but overall they're flat and reproduce what's there without adding anything to the mix.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 10
The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro is great for mixing, monitoring, and DJing.  It's not that expensive, but it is a solid set.  I don't think most people would like using the 280 for a regular listening headphone, but I like the way it sounds.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 10
Bonzo is right... the Ultrasones are not flat, the other way around...but if you like it go for it!  For studio with no hps amp, I will highly recommend the GMP 8.35 D Monitor. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I haven't heard the Ultrasones, but the graphs do indeed say that they have a higher bass hump, The Denons are a good phone if you EQ out the recessed mids, The d2000's bass if slightly above neutral,  many people criticize it for being farty, because it does rumble, it has high bass impact. It's been a while since I owned them (they were my first headphones.)

I would research the srh840 and 940 more as well, I have always had my eyes on those, though never got to try them, they seem to be fairly neutral, and closed. Just to caution again though, if you aren't willing to EQ the mid problem in the denon's I wouldn't get them, for monitoring the recessed mids will drive you nuts.

Sorry I can't help more, but I don't want to make recommendations for things I haven't heard. The k240 Studio do not leak very much sound at all, actually the d2000's may leak slightly more, so If you are worried about leaking cross that concern off your list, they do let slightly more sound from outside in, although not much.

Hope any of this helped, my recommendation still goes to the k240S (although they aren't really DJ headphones) even though you want closed, but keep it up ask other opinions and keep researching, best of luck. :)

alright thank you for your input. i will consider it. also do you know where to find a graph for the Pro 750? the only graphs i could find were on the 650 and the 900.

Quote:
Even though I don't have testing equipment or something like that all I can say is I have the Ultrasone Pro 750 as my casual, fun can and they're definitely not flat. I also have the GMP 8.35D an all I can say is they might be what you are looking for.  You might want to check on them and find about they're frequency response and all that but overall they're flat and reproduce what's there without adding anything to the mix.

alright thanks man. do you think the Ultrasones would be flat enough to monitor with once i learned them? i mean they are built somewhat for studio use so you would think they would make them pretty flat but...idkk...plus i just like them as a can. they seem like they would be great for djing and casual listening as well...

Quote:

I thought the Denon was more a semi open head phone. I think the headroom charts will show the isloation is not great compared to e.g. the AKG 271.

Have you considered the Fischer Audio FA-003?

nah its not semi open, its just not that great at isolating. but this can be fixed with the Jmoney mod or whatever by markL, so im not to worried about that.

Quote:
The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro is great for mixing, monitoring, and DJing.  It's not that expensive, but it is a solid set.  I don't think most people would like using the 280 for a regular listening headphone, but I like the way it sounds.

i have the hd280 and its okay. im selling it on ebay though. but it gets uncomfortable around my ears after an hour and they don't have good bass response at all. in fact if you wanted all of those videos in the link i posted you will see how terrible the bass response is. so much distortion, volume loss, and different harmonics coming in at just 50-60hz and lower. 

Quote:
Bonzo is right... the Ultrasones are not flat, the other way around...but if you like it go for it!  For studio with no hps amp, I will highly recommend the GMP 8.35 D Monitor. Here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

i dont have a dedicated headphone amp but the built in headphone amp on my saffire 6 is enough to drive the Ultrasones and the Denons just fine. Probably the k240 as well... also, thanks for the link

Users who are viewing this thread

Back