choosing DIY amp for DT770 Consumer
Jun 27, 2010 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

FLACm0nkEy

100+ Head-Fier
I've got a DT770 Consumer Edition that I have yet to try for real as it appears that no amp I throw at it can actually decently drive it.
I'm a fairly skilled DIYer so I figure if the right sounding design is chosen I will be a happy listener.
Amps the headphones were tried with are Heed Canamp, Zero, mini3 high performance 5x gain.  All three really struggle with them.
Anyway as far as the DIY amp choice is concerned, I'd probably prefer not to go with tubes as I often forget to turn things off and putting unnecessary hours on the tubes is never good.  So I'm thinking perhaps an M^3, but I am a little concerned about the cost.  I was hoping to spend something like $150 on parts total, including an aluminum chasis.  Yet I prefer the active virtual ground design to 2 channel common ground design.  Then there is the matter of sound.  I am about to invest into an amp I haven't heard which isn't a great idea, but then what can I do?  So I ask what others like best with theirs.  Sound is a personal thing but perhaps that's the best I can do right now.
I generally like airy, bright sound, ultra-tight bass with a bit of punch on the low side, wide soundstage.  From what I gather the DT770 Consumer is already a very bright headphone and what I heard so far the treble is a bit too harsh and too taxing even for me.  So perhaps pairing up a bright headphone with a bright amp might not be the best idea.  Just a thought.
I'll let you all throw your cents of advice at me now. 
smile.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 11
There is a variable gain version?  I just looked over the project page on AMB, and from what I understood the gain is fixed by the resistor values I choose, and the board does not have space for multiple configurations.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 11

I'd like my amp to work with multiple sources.  Most of the time I've been using a grubDAC, however I'd like to use it with a Toshiba Gigabeat F, and I'm also planning on getting either a gamma2 or Buffalo II DAC.  Or both.
I actually have a pair of DT990 250ohm arriving this week, as well as a pair of HFI-780.  So I'd like be able to use those as well.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
There is a variable gain version?  I just looked over the project page on AMB, and from what I understood the gain is fixed by the resistor values I choose, and the board does not have space for multiple configurations.

Leave out the capacitors in the bass boost circuit and it basically becomes a general gain circuit. More details under the parts list, just do a search for "variable gain" on the page.

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Leave out the capacitors in the bass boost circuit and it basically becomes a general gain circuit. More details under the parts list, just do a search for "variable gain" on the page.

Heh, cool.  Yeah I'd wanna give this a shot.  Sounds like you are quite familiar with this circuit.  You built one before?  How much did it run you total?

Jul 18, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 11
I've got the parts for one scattered about. I don't remember exactly how much it came to... I think close to $200 for parts including the s22 power supply. If you skip the power supply and use a wallwart or even an old laptop brick, you should be able to build the M3 for under $150, although squeezing in a chassis under budget might be tricky. 

I have a fuzzy plan to build a portable M3 using something like this for power: http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/il/products/xp18000/
Build it all into a briefcase, with room for the amp, laptop, battery pack, and some headphones. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back