Choose Westone W40 or W4R or UM PRO 30 or UM3XRC
Jun 26, 2014 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Champagne

New Head-Fier
Hi, my Westone UM1 was spoilt and I'm given the replacement upgrade option. Which of these IEMs should I choose?

I had listened to W40 and the only things I dislike are the vocals are a little veiled, has sounds placed a little further than I like though not a big issue and its annoyingly swivelling wire (I much prefer UM1 wire). I'm wondering if changing the cable will be able to solve the 3 problems listed especially the vocals part and wire as I really like every other thing about it. If so, any cable type recommendations?

I had also listened to the UM PRO 30 and I really liked the vocals part of it as it is placed much more forward and not veiled as compared W40, though I disliked the fact that I felt as if the singer is possessing my body and singing right inside my head or beside my ears. Otherwise, I felt that UM PRO 30 neglected the other aspects of the sound frequencies beside the vocals.

Westone has given me the replacement upgrade options to replace my spoilt UM1 with W1, W2, W3, W4R, Adventure series, Talk Series, UM1, UM3XRC, UM PRO 10, UM PRO 20, UM PRO 30, W10, W20 or W40. Choose one of them.

The genres I listened to are, Chinese POP, JPOP, KPOP, Instrumentals, Ballads. I like to enjoy hearing the singers' voices as they croon, the sound of the piano, violins, flute etc.

Disregarding the price, which should I choose?

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 16
Did you enjoy the UM1? Because if you did, then there's no pressing reason to upgrade, and you could just go for the same type again, at a discount.
If you didn't like it, then I'd guess that you'd want to avoid going for the same series again.

Jun 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks NawiLlih for answering.

I did enjoyed the UM1 as it is my first serious IEMs costing more than 50 SGD at about 2.5 years back. It was spoilt 2 months back and I sent it back to repair but since it is over warranty and Westone doesn't do repairs now, Westone gave me some replacement upgrade options.

What I did wished in the UM1 when I had it was to have a much more forward vocals, more highs and more realistic instruments sounds. Seriously, if a new cable can change my deemed flaws of W40, I would get it. I'm trying to get more opinions and help here.

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 16
@Spyro, I really thought cable change might make a difference. I'm very tempted to try the Linum cable for its lightweight and no swivelling mechanism and no memory wire in the cable.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #6 of 16
  @Spyro, I really thought cable change might make a difference. I'm very tempted to try the Linum cable for its lightweight and no swivelling mechanism and no memory wire in the cable.

I don't think the Linum is designed to alter the sound at all. I haven't tested it, so I can;t say for definite, but from their website, I don't think they were trying to make it a 'sound' cable, rather they were looking for a discrete, comfortable cable. Then again, *I may be wrong.*

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 16
I listen to mainly the same genres as you and found the UM3X great. It's a nice IEM but you have to find the right tips for yourself, I personally prefer the Shure yellow foamies. How it sounded to me in a few words: amazing separation, analytical, not too harsh on the treble (ie. unlike W3, prone to sibilance)

I recently traded my UM3X's away and somewhat regret it lol. I actually just purchased a Westone 4 and am excited to see how it sounds.

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 16
I think that even though you like the UM1 you should upgrade, if it's a really good deal. I was able to grab a W4R a few months ago and am really happy with it. I was happy with how it sounds out of my iPhone and MacBook.. but a couple of days ago I decided to take my Headroom MicroDAC (which not in production anymore) and my RSA M Hornet out of their boxes and WOWWWWWWW.. didn't know IEM would improve that much when properly amped and with a decent source. It's a totally different world, even in super low volumes. Bass is way more pronounced and intense, with great extension. I guess it has a lot to do with the Hornet, but it's a pretty good IEM with this setup. But again, it's a sound signature I end up liking, you could totally hate it, it's tough recommendation ...

Do you only used to use your UM1 through your phone? Tell about your setup ...

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 16
Thanks guys for your replies and opinions. I really appreciate them.

@NawiLlih, I liked everything about the W40 except those 3 points I had mentioned in my first post especially the veiled vocals, the vocals sound like it is muffled as if there is a curtain between the listener (me) and the singer's singing voice. If I can changed that vocal aspect like bringing the vocals slightly forward and a little in front of the rest of the music, W40 will be a perfect IEMs for me at the moment until I can increase my IEMs' budget. This is the reason why I'm asking if any cable around can make this particular change.

@Mormonsloot, I tried the W40 first then the UM PRO 30, I was impressed with W40's overall sound presentation but was immediately taken by UM PRO 30 later as the singer's vocals sounds very nice using it but felt claustrophobic in my mind due to the fact that it felt like someone is singing in my head or right by my ears. I switched back to W40 which make me realised the veiled vocals and I tried the UM PRO 30 right after and was surprised to find the singer's voice sound harsh or grainy (not sure how to describe better). I tried A/Bing back and forward using different songs for nearly an hour.I realised I liked W40 better and I wish W40 has UM PRO 30's forward vocals.

@epaludo, I'm definitely going to upgrade from UM1 as I'm looking for other sound signatures. Having the chance of owning the UM1 taught me what I liked and don't like and thus I'm looking to find "THE SOUND" that I'm searching for and I hope to achieve it or coming closer to it. My set-up at the moment is iPhone 4s though I'm looking to upgrade it in the future. Music file formats I believed are ALAC as I used iTunes to rip my CDs and some music files in mp3 (I think) formats that I have had since decade ago.

Just curious, what type of sound signature are W40 and UM PRO 30 respectively?

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 16
Have you considered going for a middle-ground option, such as the UM2? If you went down that route, you could have a small upgrade, but without having to commit a large sum of money straight away. i'm not sure on the sound signature of the 2-driver models, but the upgrade may not be as drastic, so it might preserve the sound elements that you liked in the UM1, while perhaps covering some of the flaws.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 16
I only have the UM Pro30 and what i can say is that comfort is excellent, I love the cable.

The sound is warm and a little dark, with the right amp/DAP combo they do have great detail and also air. I did have a brief listen with a silver cable, and it does give them a little more top end which is the only thing i think they lack.
The vocals are perfect, up front an intimate, the lows are very natural and extended, the whole sound has a natural lush tone to it.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 16
  I only have the UM Pro30 and what i can say is that comfort is excellent, I love the cable.

The sound is warm and a little dark, with the right amp/DAP combo they do have great detail and also air. I did have a brief listen with a silver cable, and it does give them a little more top end which is the only thing i think they lack.
The vocals are perfect, up front an intimate, the lows are very natural and extended, the whole sound has a natural lush tone to it.

Do you have any comments on the soundstage from your cable experiments? Because the OP's biggest (only?) problem with the UM30's was the complete lack of a soundstage, as far as I can tell.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 16
Well silver cables do add a sense of air to the stock slightly thick sound. It won't change them massively but it will make a slight difference.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks guys for your help, I've decided to get W40 as it is the IEMs that I think about more after trying W40 and UM PRO 30.

@NawiLlih, The replacement upgrade IEMs is not expensive or over my budget so I'll like to get the best possible IEMs I can afford with my budget.

@ostewart, Thanks for your description. I'll probably get a silver cable or silver-plated copper cable to try to lift the veil of the vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back