Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 21, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #11,656 of 33,689
So my UiiSii CM5 arrived today (bought for $19.99 from Amazon, although it can be found on sale for less).

This is my first UiiSii, and if this is representative of the brand I guarantee it won't be my last.

Here's my impressions.

Build:
  • The CM5 uses a single 10mm dual-diaphragm graphene driver**. I think I'm really growing to like graphene drivers. Graphene has a certain unique sound quality to them vs other IEM drivers (titanium, PEEK, PET).
  • The wire is TPE, which makes the cable feel soft and slippery (even though the cable itself is a little stiff). If you're familiar with the Xiaomi Pro HD cable, it's similar.
  • The 3.5mm plug is an offset angle type, which I like (it's a cross between a straight and 90 degree plug). The plug has a fairly compact width, which barely fits my phone case (YMMV).
  • The cable has a single button control with mic (no volume), which worked on my Android as well as iPhone. The button itself is small, but since there's only 1 button you can find it by feel only. Mic is clear and effective.
  • There are adequate cable strain reliefs at the shells, Y split, and 3.5mm plug.

Fitment:
  • The shells are made of plastic. The outside of the shell is transparent, with tiny sparkles which I could do without. The outside of the shell has a 'carved' style, reminiscent of a seashell. I would have preferred a plain outer shell, but they are stylish. Multiple colors are available (black/blue/red - I got black).
  • The back of the shells are coated with a nanotech/rubberized coating found on some phone cases.
  • They have a very organic ear shape. UiiSii obviously did their homework on the shell shape. They feel natural and comfy in the ear, with no odd protrusions or sharp edges that can lead to hot spots.
  • The insertion with the stock tips is shallower than I prefer, and as a result the bass and soundstage suffers due to an unreliable seal. I wish the nozzles were a few mm longer. They may fit your ears differently, but in my ears the shell body bottoms out, and whatever insertion seal you get is it. I later tried some KZ Starline tips and Comply style foam tips and was able to get an improved fit/seal.
  • The 'memory wire' ear hooks is one of the best features of the CM5. I love them. It's very comfortable, stays out of your way when you take the CM5 on/off, yet snaps right back into position. There's no wire in the earhook section - it's a pre-formed clear rubber covering that I've seen before on a few other IEMs.

Accessories:
  • A total of 5 pairs of silicone tips are included (2 different types in multiple sizes each). One of the tip shapes is slightly different than I've seen before (a "long dome" shape, like you chopped off the bottom of a test tube)
  • Nice velcro cable wrap (not the tiny minimalist one KZ used to provide)
  • Hard EVA foam zippered carrying case

Sound:
  • Bass is controlled, and has good quality and extension. There's no bleed into the mids. The bass is heavily influenced by the tips you choose (stock or tip rolling) and the insertion/seal. With the stock tips (and shallower insertion), bass was reduced. I later tried some KZ Starline tips and Comply style foam tips and was able to get an improved fit/seal resulting in a significant increase in bass. As user @jant71 pointed out: "I have been trying out a few different tips and the way they fit can give various amounts of bass or even a closer to neutral sound."
  • Mids sound clear, but are recessed as expected with a v-shaped signature.
  • Treble is bright, but with no sharpness or sibilance (like the KZ ZST has for example).
  • Instrument separation is good
  • Clarity is above average
  • Soundstage is excellent, with an open and airy quality
  • Isolation and external leakage is excellent
  • Dynamics are excellent
  • I did not experience any fatigue, even after hours of continuous wear

The CM5 has a 32ohm impedance. My iPhone had no problems driving it, and it sounded good whether it was on the phone, my DAP, or my DAP+amp.

The bottom line is that from the packaging and accessories to the build quality and sound, color me impressed! These are a literally a no-brainer for <$20.

Again, the CM5 are highly tip dependent (moreso than most IEMs), which you can seriously use that to your advantage for tuning possibilities if you are willing to do some tip rolling.

5.jpg
4.jpg

** Some seller listings incorrectly list the CM5 as a hybrid (DD+BA). This is incorrect - CM5 is not a hybrid.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #11,657 of 33,689
So my UiiSii CM5 arrived today ($19.99 from Amazon).

This is my first UiiSii, and I have a feeling that it won't be my last.

Here's my impressions.

Build:
  • They use a 10mm dual-diaphragm graphene driver. I think I'm really growing to like graphene drivers. They seem to have a certain sound to them that sounds different than other IEM drivers (titanium, PEEK, PET).
  • The wire is TPE, so it's soft and slippery feeling (even though the cable itself is a little stiff). If you're familiar with the Xiaomi Pro HD cable, it's like that.
  • It has an offset angle 3.5mm plug, which I like (not totally straight and not sharp 90 degree like KZ uses). The plug has a somewhat compact width, and just barely fit my phone case OK (YMMV)
  • It has a single button control with mic (no volume). Button worked on my Android and iPhone. The button itself is very small, but since there's only 1 button you can find it by feel only. Mic is clear and effective.
  • There is adequate cable strain relief at the shells and plug.

Fitment:
  • The shells are made of plastic. The outside of the shell is transparent plastic with tiny sparkles which I'm not a fan of but that's just preference. There outside of the shell reminds me of a seashell. I wish it was plain, but like the sparkles that's just my preference. Multiple colors are available (black/blue/red; I got black).
  • The back of the shells are coated with something - some sort of nanotech/slippery/rubberized deals like on some phone cases.
  • They have a very organic ear shape - they obviously did their homework on the shell shape. They feel natural to wear if that makes sense, and are comfy in the ear with no odd protrusions or sharp edges that can lead to hot spots.
  • I wish I could get a tad deeper insertion. The shell body bottoms out against my ear, and whatever insertion seal you get is it. I may try some long foam tips to see if I can get a deeper insertion.
  • The 'memory wire' ear hooks is one of the best features of the CM5. I love them. It's very comfortable, stays out of your way when you take on/off, yet snaps right back into position. There's no wire in them - it's just a pre-formed clear rubber covering that I've seen before on a few other IEMs.

Accessories:
  • Has a good selection of tips (5 pairs). The shape 3 pairs are different than I've seen before (a "long dome" shape, like you chopped off the bottom of a test tube)

Sound:
  • Soundstage is average
  • Isolation is excellent
  • Dynamics are excellent
  • No fatigue even after hours of continuous wear
  • Bass quality and extension is good, and there's no bleed into the mids. I do however wish they had a touch more bass (just my preference), but I blame that on the shallow insertion - I'm just using bass boost until I can tip roll to see if I can address it that way.
  • Mids sound good, but are recessed (as expected with a v-shaped signature).
  • Treble is bright, but with no sharpness or sibilance like on the KZ ZST for example.
  • They can rarely sound "unnatural", but I only noticed it a few times. I haven't fully put my finger on it yet - it could be something going on with a specific frequency (that can be EQd), or it could just be the nature of the driver(s).

My iPhone had no problems driving it, and it sounded good whether it was on the phone, my DAP, or my DAP+amp.

The bottom line is that from the packaging and accessories to the build quality and sound, color me impressed!

I want these now. BTW, congrats on the screen name. :call_me: :call_me:

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #11,660 of 33,689
i thought my chi-fi adventure was over for a while, but my girlfriend's iem's died and i gave her my zircons, so there you go again :D i need some well built, warm/fun sounding, cheapo iem's with a mic for viber/skype calls and occasional outdoor activities like lawn mowing (good isolation is a must). rock zircons did the trick, so unless you have some other ideas, i'll just get an other pair.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #11,661 of 33,689
i thought my chi-fi adventure was over for a while, but my girlfriend's iem's died and i gave her my zircons, so there you go again :D i need some well built, warm/fun sounding, cheapo iem's with a mic for viber/skype calls and occasional outdoor activities like lawn mowing (good isolation is a must). rock zircons did the trick, so unless you have some other ideas, i'll just get an other pair.
I would suggest KZ ES3. :call_me: :call_me:

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #11,663 of 33,689
@Slater; you might want to keep working on the fit as I heard them with less bass and smaller stage early on but when you get a better fit/seal they get bigger and have a healthy amount of bass. Had an early comparison against my pioneer and they were smaller and quite neutral but later on they were just about as big sounding and went from less bass than to a little more bass in comparison to the CH9T. They are good at giving pseudo seal esp. the butterfly tips:) If you notice the butterfly tips fit shallower than you'd expect since the core is inset some. Tips where the core and back edge of the tip are even worked better for me. Not sure what the butterfly tips are about since making the front less tapered should help with shallow fit earphones cause they fill out to full edge quicker than a narrow taper but you shorten the back of the core and take away from what the front shape is trying to do.

Keep an eye out as I saw the CM5 on sale for $15.99. Should happen again pretty soon. Hopefully all colors instead of the black one only being cheaper.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #11,664 of 33,689
@Slater; you might want to keep working on the fit as I heard them with less bass and smaller stage early on but when you get a better fit/seal they get bigger and have a healthy amount of bass. Had an early comparison against my pioneer and they were smaller and quite neutral but later on they were just about as big sounding and went from less bass than to a little more bass in comparison to the CH9T. They are good at giving pseudo seal esp. the butterfly tips:) If you notice the butterfly tips fit shallower than you'd expect since the core is inset some. Tips where the core and back edge of the tip are even worked better for me. Not sure what the butterfly tips are about since making the front less tapered should help with shallow fit earphones cause they fill out to full edge quicker than a narrow taper but you shorten the back of the core and take away from what the front shape is trying to do.

Keep an eye out as I saw the CM5 on sale for $15.99. Should happen again pretty soon. Hopefully all colors instead of the black one only being cheaper.
This is all very exciting. Uiisii cm5 just ordered for 19.00

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #11,665 of 33,689

Happy to hear that you enjoy them. I had to use different tips to get a seal. I am glad you wrote a detailed review because I am not good at that. I agree with all that you said except that I think I experienced more bass than you described plus I thought the soundstage was amazing... very spacious and almost 3D like. I have three UiiSii now and I like them all. I had the least expensive US80 first (it is quite nice plus mine is pink...lol) Then I got the CM5 when it turned up in a lightning deal. Then just last week the Uiisii T6 (dual driver) came up in another lightning deal so I got that. It is very good also. It fits me more easily than the CM5 does because I have a problem with ones where the wires go up and over the ear. As they come down behind my ear they get tangled in my long hair in an annoying way. Once I do have them in place though I love them. The wire itself is much easier to deal with than the one on the KZ ZS3.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #11,666 of 33,689
CM5 could use a cable slider :) I find when being active the cable likes to bounce off the ear at times. Can solve by twisting/braiding after the Y but I might has to install a DIY one.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #11,667 of 33,689
CM5 could use a cable slider :) I find when being active the cable likes to bounce off the ear at times. Can solve by twisting/braiding after the Y but I might has to install a DIY one.
Thanks for the tip. Scotch tape could do the trick, just above the split..

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #11,669 of 33,689
If you can find Philips SHE3595, they are surprisngly really good. @loomisjohnson just got them in my IEM bundle he bought and he agrees

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #11,670 of 33,689
So my UiiSii CM5 arrived today (bought for $19.99 from Amazon).

Here's my impressions.

Build:
  • They use a 10mm dual-diaphragm graphene driver. I think I'm really growing to like graphene drivers. They seem to have a certain sound to them that sounds different than other IEM drivers (titanium, PEEK, PET).
  • A few listings say they are single hybrids (DD+BA), but the box says nothing along the lines. I am going to open them later tonight and will verify if they're single drivers or hybrids, and Ill update this post accordingly.
  • The wire is TPE, so it's soft and slippery feeling (even though the cable itself is a little stiff). If you're familiar with the Xiaomi Pro HD cable, it's like that.
  • It has an offset angle 3.5mm plug, which I like (not totally straight and not sharp 90 degree like KZ uses). The plug has a somewhat compact width, and just barely fit my phone case OK (YMMV)
  • It has a single button control with mic (no volume). Button worked on my Android and iPhone. The button itself is very small, but since there's only 1 button you can find it by feel only. Mic is clear and effective.

Fitment:
  • The shells are made of plastic. The outside of the shell is transparent plastic with tiny sparkles which I'm not a fan of but that's just preference. There outside of the shell reminds me of a seashell. I wish it was plain, but like the sparkles that's just my preference. Multiple colors are available (black/blue/red; I got black).
  • The back of the shells are coated with something - some sort of nanotech/slippery/rubberized deals like on some phone cases.
  • They have a very organic ear shape - they obviously did their homework on the shell shape. They feel natural to wear if that makes sense, and are comfy in the ear with no odd protrusions or sharp edges that can lead to hot spots.
  • I wish I could get a tad deeper insertion. The shell body bottoms out against my ear, and whatever insertion seal you get is it. I may try some long foam tips to see if I can get a deeper insertion.
  • The 'memory wire' ear hooks is one of the best features of the CM5. I love them. It's very comfortable, stays out of your way when you take on/off, yet snaps right back into position. There's no wire in them - it's just a pre-formed clear rubber covering that I've seen before on a few other IEMs.

Accessories:
  • Has a good selection of tips (5 pairs). The shape 3 pairs are different than I've seen before (a "long dome" shape, like you chopped off the bottom of a test tube)

Sound:
  • Soundstage is average
  • Isolation is excellent
  • Dynamics are excellent
  • Bass is controlled, and has good quality and extension. There's no bleed into the mids. I do however wish they had a touch more bass (just my preference), but I blame that on the shallow insertion - I'm just using bass boost until I can tip roll to see if I can address it that way.
  • Treble is bright, but with no sharpness or sibilance like on the KZ ZST for example.
  • They can rarely sound "unnatural", but I only noticed it a few times. I haven't fully put my finger on it yet - it could be something going on with a specific frequency (that can be EQd), or it could just be the nature of the driver(s).

They are 32ohm, but my iPhone had no problems driving it, and it sounded good whether it was on the phone, my DAP, or my DAP+amp.

The bottom line is that from the packaging and accessories to the build quality and sound, color me impressed!

So my UiiSii CM5 arrived today (bought for $19.99 from Amazon).

Here's my impressions.

Build:
  • A few listings say they are single hybrids (DD+BA), but the box says nothing along the lines. I am going to open them later tonight and will verify if they're single drivers or hybrids, and Ill update this post accordingly.

Fitment:

Accessories:

Sound:
  • Soundstage is average
  • Isolation is excellent
  • Dynamics are excellent
  • Bass is controlled, and has good quality and extension. There's no bleed into the mids. I do however wish they had a touch more bass (just my preference), but I blame that on the shallow insertion - I'm just using bass boost until I can tip roll to see if I can address it that way.

They are 32ohm, but my iPhone had no problems driving it, and it sounded good whether it was on the phone, my DAP, or my DAP+amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back