Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #11,642 of 33,689
Thanks for the impressions. I'm not really am earbud guy but all these high-end earbuds are intriguing. I did have the PK2 at one point...maybe I'll pick up the Vido. It's only $4, after all.
I ALWAYS was an monitors guy, then branched out into headphones, then into IEMs and THEN into earbuds (these are my first pair, aside from random painful listens to old apple earbuds.

These are definitely about as expensive as any pair of earbuds I'd ever own (they were $165) but the quality is really incredible, and I think I'll be wearing them for years. I hope so anyway. :) Earbuds are definitely great for... well, some IEMs as you know tend to not seal very well, and require fiddling with to re-seal. When they become unstuck the sound goes out the window. These are the opposite, they don't really change sound too much as you wear them, so the messing in minimal, but on top of that they were designed with that in mind... so the design doesn't fight that and try to sound like an IEM, but instead sounds a lot more like open backed headphones. So wide and open and detailed, but not really bass-y. The bass is there, unless you mean sub-bass, which is not there really, but it's just not dominant, at all.

Of course, to actually achieve that open detailed sound isn't easy, but I think these do that about as good as I can really imagine I'd ever need.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #11,643 of 33,689
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #11,644 of 33,689
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #11,645 of 33,689
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #11,647 of 33,689
I probably have no less than 20 pair of large Auvio's and use them on a lot of my iem's however for the KZ's I prefer the Starlines and as said they break in nicely after 4 or 5 wearing's. I think KZ realized they had something when they found the Starlines:wink:

I personally have to agree with this.
I don't generally like any silicon tips as they just become a pain over time, though the Starline tips they offered in varying sizes were worth! They're comfortable for sure, like you said yourself, over a small break in period they get very comfy.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #11,648 of 33,689
I also agree that the starlines are really comfy... I have a set of spinfits incoming, eventually, and wonder how much better or worse they'll actually be!

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #11,649 of 33,689
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #11,650 of 33,689
What's your favourite ones?
If you'd like I'll give you my take on an IEM mentioned in here so far!
I've recently been spending a bit of time with the $16 KZ ZS3

They've slowly made their way into my heart as one of the most comfy, & warm IEMs I've purchased.
They have to be the best $16 I've spent in a long time. Why?
They remind me a bit of the AudioTechnica ATH-IM50 one of my personal favorite IEMs.

They don't totally meet the sound signature of the IM50 but come off with a warmer more lush sound though being a bit bassier than them. For $16 IEMs the detail is there but certainly not the main focus as it seems to rely more on the mids.
This is my take from the shorter experience I've had so far.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #11,651 of 33,689
I ALWAYS was an monitors guy, then branched out into headphones, then into IEMs and THEN into earbuds (these are my first pair, aside from random painful listens to old apple earbuds.

These are definitely about as expensive as any pair of earbuds I'd ever own (they were $165) but the quality is really incredible, and I think I'll be wearing them for years. I hope so anyway. :) Earbuds are definitely great for... well, some IEMs as you know tend to not seal very well, and require fiddling with to re-seal. When they become unstuck the sound goes out the window. These are the opposite, they don't really change sound too much as you wear them, so the messing in minimal, but on top of that they were designed with that in mind... so the design doesn't fight that and try to sound like an IEM, but instead sounds a lot more like open backed headphones. So wide and open and detailed, but not really bass-y. The bass is there, unless you mean sub-bass, which is not there really, but it's just not dominant, at all.

Of course, to actually achieve that open detailed sound isn't easy, but I think these do that about as good as I can really imagine I'd ever need.

What you speak of regarding IEMs is why I'm getting more and more picky when it comes to fit. Take earphones like the KEF M200 or the classic TF10. Both great sounding earphones that are RUINED by their fit. So now I prefer IEMs either in the Shure/Westone style, or like the Carbo Tenore/Flare Audio IEMs. And there have been other factors I've realized can be important too, like cables. I recently got a new cable for my DQSM D2002, which is very light with an almost-not-there memory wire section, and it plus foam tips have given me the most stable, secure fit I've ever had with these.

The cable I had on them before was heavier, with much more pronounced memory wire, and sometimes when turning my head it would leverage the cable and slightly tug on the earphone. Well when you're out on a bike as much as I am, you tend to have to keep your head on a swivel.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #11,652 of 33,689
If you'd like I'll give you my take on an IEM mentioned in here so far!
I've recently been spending a bit of time with the $16 KZ ZS3

They've slowly made their way into my heart as one of the most comfy, & warm IEMs I've purchased.
They have to be the best $16 I've spent in a long time. Why?
They remind me a bit of the AudioTechnica ATH-IM50 one of my personal favorite IEMs.

They don't totally meet the sound signature of the IM50 but come off with a warmer more lush sound though being a bit bassier than them. For $16 IEMs the detail is there but certainly not the main focus as it seems to rely more on the mids.
This is my take from the shorter experience I've had so far.

I really like the ZS3s as well. Because I got a glut of earphones all at once (five in three weeks) I'm still just at first impressions stages with them... they were the backup pair I took with me on my dog walk, just in case the BKs didn't work out.

My wife, who tends to like hyped sound signatures, prefers the ZSTs and the DZAT DF10s. I do prefer the more balanced ZS3s for modern sounding music though... the DZATs are probably better for indie rock or classical, but anything with sub bass and I'll grab the ZS3s first.

:)

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #11,653 of 33,689
ES3 for blues
Screenshot_20170920-201514.jpg

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #11,654 of 33,689
What you speak of regarding IEMs is why I'm getting more and more picky when it comes to fit. Take earphones like the KEF M200 or the classic TF10. Both great sounding earphones that are RUINED by their fit. So now I prefer IEMs either in the Shure/Westone style, or like the Carbo Tenore/Flare Audio IEMs. And there have been other factors I've realized can be important too, like cables. I recently got a new cable for my DQSM D2002, which is very light with an almost-not-there memory wire section, and it plus foam tips have given me the most stable, secure fit I've ever had with these.

The cable I had on them before was heavier, with much more pronounced memory wire, and sometimes when turning my head it would leverage the cable and slightly tug on the earphone. Well when you're out on a bike as much as I am, you tend to have to keep your head on a swivel.

M200 are great for me with large foam ball type

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #11,655 of 33,689
So, another little bit of info on the Shozy BKs.

They are pretty darn source dependent. More so than anything else I own.

But it doesn't seem to be about the "quality" of the DAC, etc., but instead the sound signature. These things LOVE a brighter DAC, and can suffer a bit with a "warmer" or v shaped DAC.

I think this suits them though, because lots and lots of phones are pretty bright, as are many iPod type devices (not the nicer DAPs, but the mainstream stuff).

They also REALLY thrive on anything with a lot of space - big rooms sound AMAZING and immersive - or guitars.

Anything recorded between say 1950 and 2000 probably will sound amazing. Super modern stuff that needs sub bass, again, not a starter, but... that's why we all own 20 pairs of headphones/earphones/earbuds I guess. :)

So far the best sounding thing on them has been The Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands.

It's an album I've heard 300 times, easy, but these BKs showed me new details. Very very cool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back