Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 31, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #19,321 of 33,689
Now , my question is how can I eke out more from my smartphone (iPhone ). Would something like a FIIO Q1 MK2 bring a noticeable improvement? I am only going to be using IEMs.

Unless your current source is truly terrible, lacks power to drive your IEMs or mismatched impedance, a DAP/DAC offers minimal SQ upgrade (I've heard some sayings that SQ is 10% on source, but I don't really think you can put a number to it). Then again, I usually prefer seeing measurements like the ones Audio Science Review do for sources (since technically, a source should be completely transparent).

I did like the Q1mk2 very much when I tested it, a lot smaller than I thought it'd be and straightforward to use for my phone (I tested with Onkyo and HibyMusic app, both detected and ran USB audio fine with no issues). Its specialty is balanced though (since its designed to have more power out of the balanced output instead of the normal 3.5mm jack).

I'd suggest getting Musiland MU2 instead if you have a USB-C capable phone. Cannot comment on comparisons with other DAPs, but the little thing can hold its own against my desktop DAC for easy to drive cans. It's kinda blowing my mind (along with EP1 post (brain?) burn-in).

Edit: oops you have an iPhone (meaning no usb-c), never mind the above then

lol, leave it to you to also have another obscure chi-fi gear. I've seen a few Musiland DAC and amp when I was searching for a USB DAC on taobao, but chickened out and gotten the Breeze Audio SE4 instead. So far its been quite competent for my music and gaming use (hopefully I can test it with the CA Andromeda soon to see if it hisses). Though I still wonder if I should've spent more and gotten something like the Musiland Monitor 04. Is the MU2 worth the $60 or so price tag compared to something like the SMSL Idea or Sabaj DA2?

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #19,322 of 33,689
Unless your current source...lacks power to drive your IEMs or mismatched impedance...

You hit the magic nail on the head. This is where most phones fall flat.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #19,323 of 33,689
lol, leave it to you to also have another obscure chi-fi gear. I've seen a few Musiland DAC and amp when I was searching for a USB DAC on taobao, but chickened out and gotten the Breeze Audio SE4 instead. So far its been quite competent for my music and gaming use (hopefully I can test it with the CA Andromeda soon to see if it hisses). Though I still wonder if I should've spent more and gotten something like the Musiland Monitor 04. Is the MU2 worth the $60 or so price tag compared to something like the SMSL Idea or Sabaj DA2?
Well it's on penon and I liked the MU1 enough to give the upgrade a try lol

Can't really compare it to other same priced gears, but against a 1k one, it's not too far off in everything but power. At this level of technicality, you'll be fussing more about 'flavors' than anything and the MU2 does not have any, it just gives you what's in the recording without bass boost, or high boost or vocal boost. Note, please don't take my opinion as a gospel, I'm really not interested in creating hype

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #19,324 of 33,689
Compared to the lightning to 3.5mm dongle the phone shipped with. Source is going to be Apple music (256 Kbps AAC )

Of course there's better sounding options than the apple dongle. Unfortunately I've got no experience with that FiiO but there's definitely possible to get something better and/or different sounding. In my experience all amplifiers and dac's does not sound the same in real life and most of them sound better than a phone. I've tried quite a few and sometimes they sounds very similar (or even identical) but most of the time this is not the case (not even with the same dac chips).

If you're open to other options you might want to check out the Radsone ES100, not only does it sound great but it also offers the freedom of being wireless. The SMSL IQ is also really nice for a wired option. I'm sure someone in the dedicated threads can compare them with the Apple dongle as I don't have that available right now.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #19,325 of 33,689
from that list I've only have heard the King Pro and b5+. direct upgrade from the IT01 would be King Pro
How would You compare b5+ with what I said in my "list" post about my IT01?
B5+ is really appealing, even with its UIEM simple black design for about 100$.
King Pro and Anew U1 are both said to be upgrade from IT01.... but again, I wish to know how much against my modded IT01.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #19,326 of 33,689
How would You compare b5+ with what I said in my "list" post about my IT01?
B5+ is really appealing, even with its UIEM simple black design for about 100$.
King Pro and Anew U1 are both said to be upgrade from IT01.... but again, I wish to know how much against my modded IT01.

i don't know how much improvement you make with your modded one compared to stock, so it might just as well blast past the King Pro level sound :o2smile:

the B5+, compared to the stock IT01, have less bass, more forward and thicker mids, and different overall energy (bass kick attack, cymbal decay, etc), as one is dynamic driver while the other is pure BAs.

might i suggest the Moondrop Kanas for a more similar dynamic driver experience like the IT01, but with higher SQ and more similar to your signature preference (more balanced). it has less midbass bloom, more forward and snappier mids, and lots more detail in the treble than the king pro.

i sold my King Pro, and keep the Kanas and B5+, and based on my assessment after trying other cans in a couple of local forum meets, i don't think i will ever gonna get rid of them both

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #19,327 of 33,689
i don't know how much improvement you make with your modded one compared to stock, so it might just as well blast past the King Pro level sound :o2smile:

the B5+, compared to the stock IT01, have less bass, more forward and thicker mids, and different overall energy (bass kick attack, cymbal decay, etc), as one is dynamic driver while the other is pure BAs.

might i suggest the Moondrop Kanas for a more similar dynamic driver experience like the IT01, but with higher SQ and more similar to your signature preference (more balanced). it has less midbass bloom, more forward and snappier mids, and lots more detail in the treble than the king pro.

i sold my King Pro, and keep the Kanas and B5+, and based on my assessment after trying other cans in a couple of local forum meets, i don't think i will ever gonna get rid of them both
How do you get the best out of your B5+? Mine sound odd and I can’t seem to figure out a winning combo.

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #19,328 of 33,689
How do you get the best out of your B5+? Mine sound odd and I can’t seem to figure out a winning combo.

i changed the cable to some balanced 4 core SPC that i have and use Final Audio E eartips on it. the stock cable has a weird sound. it choked the treble, degrading the overall sound.. and I'm talking about their upgraded 6 core cables which i bought with my B5+.

i found using smaller bore eartips sounds best for it. wide bores make it sound splashy

Nov 1, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #19,329 of 33,689
You hit the magic nail on the head. This is where most phones fall flat.
Not flagships per my experience. Or really anything that's reviewed by GSMArena and isn't specifically branded as lacking loudness with earphones plugged in. With IEMs on my Galaxy Note 4 I never have to listen louder than 30%. Usually between 20 and 25%. Do people with dedicated players listen with even lower volumes, or is the grading different, e.g. non-linear?

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #19,330 of 33,689

i changed the cable to some balanced 4 core SPC that i have and use Final Audio E eartips on it. the stock cable has a weird sound. it choked the treble, degrading the overall sound.. and I'm talking about their upgraded 6 core cables which i bought with my B5+.

i found using smaller bore eartips sounds best for it. wide bores make it sound splashy
Thank You! This is getting informative, as I wanted.

So, B5+ can be splashy with wide bores and needs better cable (Is IT01 cable good with it?). So far I have heard/read mainly good about them but maybe have to look more impressions to know if I should keep it in list or not. I like using wide-bore S-size tips for what it counts.

Will add Moondrop Kanas to list. Though, You mentioning that it has lot more details in highs than King Pro make me suspect that it might be too "much" for my tolerance of highs. I don`t like harsh/sibilant highs. Modded IT01 hits 100% spot-on @ highs for me and I have not heard more lifelike cymbals so far. I can clearly hear cymbals dynamic decay and hits different power.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #19,331 of 33,689
Thank You! This is getting informative, as I wanted.

So, B5+ can be splashy with wide bores and needs better cable (Is IT01 cable good with it?). So far I have heard/read mainly good about them but maybe have to look more impressions to know if I should keep it in list or not. I like using wide-bore S-size tips for what it counts.

Will add Moondrop Kanas to list. Though, You mentioning that it has lot more details in highs than King Pro make me suspect that it might be too "much" for my tolerance of highs. I don`t like harsh/sibilant highs. Modded IT01 hits 100% spot-on @ highs for me and I have not heard more lifelike cymbals so far. I can clearly hear cymbals dynamic decay and hits different power.

i think any cable would do other than their stock one. i use the B5 with my bluetooth cable, some oyaide cable, the T2 cable, all seems fine to me.

the Kanas present more details not because it is really bright, but because it has a great separation and stereo presentation. the T2 is a lot brighter than the Kanas. if i use the T2 with small bore modification, and the Kanas with wide bore, they're about the same treble volume. even like that the T2 has a more prickly treble than the Kanas

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #19,332 of 33,689
Thanks for input. But another question - are You talking about Pro or regular Kanas?

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #19,333 of 33,689
Thanks for input. But another question - are You talking about Pro or regular Kanas?

regular Kanas. but i use the Kanas pro cable with it (8 braided silver and copper mix. i think similar type cable would be the same)

the Kanas Pro version has smoother sound presentation overall.

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #19,334 of 33,689
So, full disclosure, I'm on my third TinAudio T2s now. I've left two of them in my pocket and put my pants in the washer. :laughing::laughing::slight_frown::slight_frown:

I noticed the right channel is finicky sometimes, I think it's a less than perfect MMCX connection; happens when I'm moving around and the right cable gets moved around too. I've noticed it on the (two) new style T2s and not on my old one. Anyone notice this too?

Anyway, I like the newer cable and the doo hickey they use where the L & R cables come together, compared to the old plastic see through ones. Not sure what that's called. But I really miss the little thing (not sure what it's called) you can pull up that keeps the L & F cable together. I made my own, ghettorigged it; not pretty but functional. I'm not sure how well it'll hold up. Thought I'd share it, tried searching to see if there are better ideas, but not sure what they're called so I didn't have much luck. Just two tiny O-rings, one smaller than the other. I think the photo is pretty self explanatory.

nYqz0B6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back