Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 16, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #18,121 of 33,689
received tin audio t2 from nicehck a few days ago.
i can see the dynamic driver (its holes) through the nozzle mesh clearly, at sunlight. no blue wax under the meshes.

Yeah, that is quite the mystery.

Out of my 3 pairs, only 1 had the blue stuff. I can see the dynamic driver (its holes) through the nozzle mesh clearly on my other 2 pairs.

So odd! I would think perhaps the 1 with the blue gunk was the original version, but all 3 of mine have the new clear cable.

What a mystery! I guess in hindsight, I should have left my pair with the blue gunk alone and not modded it (as I had 2 other pairs with the blue stuff already removed). Apparently, it could have been a super rare collectors item haha :wink:

Oh well, companies change things all of the time. The T2 sounds much better without the blue gunk than with it, so I'm glad to see Tin Audio eventually stopped using it.

That does make me wonder what is different about the T2 Pro. Assuming it is the same double dynamic driver (which it may not be), the difference must be in the crossover and/or the vents (front and/or rear). I am perfectly happy with the T2, and I own 3 of them, so I don't really plan on getting the T2 Pro unless there's some compelling reason to. I am interested in seeing what they do for the T3 though.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #18,122 of 33,689
I'm still working on EQ'ing the Queen, but I feel like I'm pretty close to what I want. Snare and cymbals still sound unnaturally snappy and metallic, but it's much improved. I've been using "Vicarious" by Tool to gauge this.

Better is always hard to define. I like the 9T more and they will no doubt spend more time in my ears, but the Queen is better from a technical standpoint. The Queen has a crisper, faster, more detailed sound, even after EQ, than the 9T. The Queen also has more impact and slam, better bass extension, better soundstage, and better imaging.

However, even after EQ'ing the Queen to my liking, the 9T has a richer, thicker sound that I find very appealing. If you didn't like them when you heard them, that's probably not going to change unless you were using some weird filter combo. The 9T is all about lush tuning. At its best, the 9T is has an inviting, relaxed, round, full sound that reminds me of the stereotypical tube sound. At its worst, the earphone is slow, blurred, boomy, and rolled-off at both ends. This is with running the most bass-linear filter and the middle filter for treble presence.
You made the right call, IMO. I'd certainly take the 9T over the Queen. Check out the King Pro, though. That IEM has become one of my all-time faves.
I have also taken an Interest in the king pros for a while now which apparently sound similar to the it01s. My only problem i had with the it01s before were the mids sounding a bit thin and slightly recessed even after tip rolling. Do the king pros change anything in the mids here? Any iems I buy, I always wish for a full bodied sound or I just can't adjust.

I can appreciate different sound signatures and didn't like the 9ts because Im certain I had a messed up pair.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #18,123 of 33,689
Soundstage is generally understood as the imaginary field which the music occupies, having height, width, and depth. Imaging is the accuracy of the placements of instruments within that imaginary field. Separation is how cleanly those individual instruments and their positions are aurally conveyed.

Saying IEMs have no soundstage is nonsensical in a literal sense, but I think suggests that the width of soundstage is as narrow as one's ears.

soundstaging, soundstage presentation The accuracy with which a reproducing system conveys audible information about the size, shape, and acoustical characteristics of the original recording space and the placement of the performers within it.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary-r-s#i6Z2ADpJAYseoKtY.99

Soundstage - The area between two speakers that appears to the listener to be occupied by sonic images. Like a real stage, a soundstage should have width, depth, and height.
source: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/describing-sound-a-glossary.220770/

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #18,124 of 33,689

MiniDSP Measurements. Take with spoonfuls of mortons iodized salt.

Yeah, that is quite the mystery.

Out of my 3 pairs, only 1 had the blue stuff. I can see the dynamic driver (its holes) through the nozzle mesh clearly on my other 2 pairs.

So odd! I would think perhaps the 1 with the blue gunk was the original version, but all 3 of mine have the new clear cable.

What a mystery! I guess in hindsight, I should have left my pair with the blue gunk alone and not modded it (as I had 2 other pairs with the blue stuff already removed). Apparently, it could have been a super rare collectors item haha :wink:

Oh well, companies change things all of the time. The T2 sounds much better without the blue gunk than with it, so I'm glad to see Tin Audio eventually stopped using it.

That does make me wonder what is different about the T2 Pro. Assuming it is the same double dynamic driver (which it may not be), the difference must be in the crossover and/or the vents (front and/or rear). I am perfectly happy with the T2, and I own 3 of them, so I don't really plan on getting the T2 Pro unless there's some compelling reason to. I am interested in seeing what they do for the T3 though.

I've suspected this to be the case for some times now - T2 had quite a change in its tuning early on and most people have the revised version. However, the part where you mention that all 3 pairs of yours have the newer clearer cable is where things get confusing (the most logical thing would be that they had a unit of T2 laying somewhere only to be paired up with newer cable later in production cycle, probably by mistake).

Here is also a very good evidence of all of this. Yes, comparing graphs from different meassuring systems is never ideal but, most of the times, bass response is very close as it isn't that sensitive to variables. As you can see, AudioBudget's version has very different bass response compared to @antdroid 's graph (I would include my measurements but I have no access to T2 at the moment - mine is much closer to @antdroid 's graph which is only logical).

Finally, I am 100% certain that the T2 Pro has no changes to vents because bass has exactly the same character as regular T2 (revised version). Treble changes could potentially be crossover differences but a different small driver is also a very real possibility.

T2.fr.png

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #18,125 of 33,689
I've suspected this to be the case for some times now - T2 had quite a change in its tuning early on and most people have the revised version. However, the part where you mention that all 3 pairs of yours have the newer clearer cable is where things get confusing (the most logical thing would be that they had a unit of T2 laying somewhere only to be paired up with newer cable later in production cycle, probably by mistake).

Here is also a very good evidence of all of this. Yes, comparing graphs from different meassuring systems is never ideal but, most of the times, bass response is very close as it isn't that sensitive to variables. As you can see, AudioBudget's version has very different bass response compared to @antdroid 's graph (I would include my measurements but I have no access to T2 at the moment - mine is much closer to @antdroid 's graph which is only logical).

Finally, I am 100% certain that the T2 Pro has no changes to vents because bass has exactly the same character as regular T2 (revised version). Treble changes could potentially be crossover differences but a different small driver is also a very real possibility.

Wow, you should be a police detective! Everything you said makes perfect sense.

I do feel my 1st T2's bottom end frequencies sounded like how that audiobudget graph looks. That has to be caused by the blue junk, because removing the blue gunk in the nozzle significantly improved the low end and nothing more.

At the time I did my blue wax mod, it was the only pair of T2 I owned. It wasn't until after I did that mod that I ordered additional 2 pairs. I didn't even take them out of the box to even look and see if the newest pairs I received even had the blue stuff! I just assumed all of the T2s had it.

Very interesting indeed!

In any event, according to the FR the T2 Pro is identical to the T2 except for adding MORE treble. Why they did this is beyond me, since the treble was never the complaint but rather the lack of low end. And since the treble on the normal T2 is too much for some people, I can only imagine that the T2 Pro might have even more unhappy owners. I sure hope the Massdrop buyers realize what they're going to be buying...

Sep 16, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #18,126 of 33,689
Can you suggest a ChiFi IEM that sounds like HD58x?
Tired of these ChiFi IEM with too much treble, not enough mids.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #18,127 of 33,689
Then you're in the same position as I. Trying to find something better than those freakin Hifiman's lol

Very, Very hard on the 50$ mark, these are real gems and should be more popular untill now.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #18,128 of 33,689
The problem turned out to be a bless.

I sold memt x5 and akg that came with my s8. And together with the refund of as10 + z5000 of hotfi. I ordered a BGVP DMG.

Will be my first +100$ earphone, and i am very happy.

I am trying to sell my revonext and v80, and kz ed16, to grab another 100$, but leaning to the neutral side. Probably the audboz p4(that i was getting, until i found a discount on BGVP), or tehnz p4, wich is a rebrand of the same earphone.

So i will be covered with 2 iems instead of lots of cheaper ones. More quality and less quantity.

:)

Also, tin hi fi said is going to send the tin audio t2 pro for me, as i did a portuguese YouTube review of them and they liked. I was expecting more bass tough. People won't be excited to these new t2 pros i think.

Sep 16, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #18,129 of 33,689
Wow, you should be a police detective! Everything you said makes perfect sense.

I do feel my 1st T2's bottom end frequencies sounded like how that audiobudget graph looks. That has to be caused by the blue junk, because removing the blue gunk in the nozzle significantly improved the low end and nothing more.

At the time I did my blue wax mod, it was the only pair of T2 I owned. It wasn't until after I did that mod that I ordered additional 2 pairs. I didn't even take them out of the box to even look and see if the newest pairs I received even had the blue stuff! I just assumed all of the T2s had it.

Very interesting indeed!

In any event, according to the FR the T2 Pro is identical to the T2 except for adding MORE treble. Why they did this is beyond me, since the treble was never the complaint but rather the lack of low end. And since the treble on the normal T2 is too much for some people, I can only imagine that the T2 Pro might have even more unhappy owners. I sure hope the Massdrop buyers realize what they're going to be buying...

Haha, thanks! No detective work for me though, if only people were as easy to decipher as objects.

T2 Pro actually has a flatter (more even) treble response even if slightly elevated compared to T2. While I'll agree that T2 needed no boost in this area, T2 Pro might introduce a better quality of treble. Now, they only needed to add a light damper. I would be very interested in these as an easy modding project, but, T3 is about to happen so I'll wait. Shame though, they literally only needed 1 or 2 layers of tea bag on the end of the nozzle (speculation on my part, but I can easily see this mod becoming a standard if many people do end up getting T2 PRO).

Sep 16, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #18,130 of 33,689
All this talk about tin audios

Took my t2s out and put the black mesh filter that came with my hifimans. I think the sound became warmer. And less airy. Iiked, they will stay because if i take it off, i will lose the filter. And only one pair lasts

Seems like, less high treble, resulting in more congested stage. Untouched mids, and more bass oomph. Small big differences.

People could try different filters on the nozzle. And see fom themselves the result, instead of ruining the iem by taping the vents.
15371516367422506260966872756373.jpg

I will love if people try to put some filter. Anything with low density enough should work. I call you @Slater, and mr measurement rig @antdroid.

Listening to rolling stones right now. Absolutely lovely

Attachments

• 15371515456664336177694234262286.jpg
    15371515456664336177694234262286.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #18,131 of 33,689

T2 Pro actually has a flatter (more even) treble response even if slightly elevated compared to T2. While I'll agree that T2 needed no boost in this area, T2 Pro might introduce a better quality of treble. Now, they only needed to add a light damper. I would be very interested in these as an easy modding project, but, T3 is about to happen so I'll wait. Shame though, they literally only needed 1 or 2 layers of tea bag on the end of the nozzle (speculation on my part, but I can easily see this mod becoming a standard if many people do end up getting T2 PRO).

Great unraveling of history there vladstef!

The T2 Pro treble/upper end is way better in my opinion than the original. The early roll-off of treble on the original wasnt horrible but its very noticeably different sounding on the Pro.

added this recently to my blog post i posted prior:

As I stated before, many songs sound like there's more detail and more "air." A good example is Real Estate's Past Lives. The beginning has a little drum/cymbal loop that sounds a little grainy and missing liveliness with original. With the Pro, the cymbals crash with energy and the vocals following sound more alive than before. It's subtle, but convincing enough for me. It takes a lot of the rock and folk music I enjoy and makes them more natural and open sounding. I am digging the improvements, as subtle as they may be.

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #18,132 of 33,689
Soundstage is generally understood as the imaginary field which the music occupies, having height, width, and depth. Imaging is the accuracy of the placements of instruments within that imaginary field. Separation is how cleanly those individual instruments and their positions are aurally conveyed.

Saying IEMs have no soundstage is nonsensical in a literal sense, but I think suggests that the width of soundstage is as narrow as one's ears.
Saying that IEMs have no soundstage is equivalent to discussing soundstage differences between IEMs and writing about it in reviews. Literally nonsensical.

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #18,133 of 33,689
Any more info on a certain BA + Planar from a chi-fi brand. I reckon they are banned here?

Sep 17, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #18,134 of 33,689
Sep 17, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #18,135 of 33,689
The problem turned out to be a bless.

I sold memt x5 and akg that came with my s8. And together with the refund of as10 + z5000 of hotfi. I ordered a BGVP DMG.

Will be my first +100$ earphone, and i am very happy.

I am trying to sell my revonext and v80, and kz ed16, to grab another 100$, but leaning to the neutral side. Probably the audboz p4(that i was getting, until i found a discount on BGVP), or tehnz p4, wich is a rebrand of the same earphone.

So i will be covered with 2 iems instead of lots of cheaper ones. More quality and less quantity.

:)

Also, tin hi fi said is going to send the tin audio t2 pro for me, as i did a portuguese YouTube review of them and they liked. I was expecting more bass tough. People won't be excited to these new t2 pros i think.
Heya brother, sorry for disturbing you with a quote but i actually own MEMT x5 and TRN v80 (defective as i've already described my unlucky experience with them).

I was wondering if not buying again a v80 and buying ED16+ZSA would be a good option. 2 iems at the price of one.

How would you compare ED16 and v80?
And even if memt x5 are just a lower end product than these two, how does it sound compared to the ed16?

Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back