Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 18, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #16,636 of 33,689
Very true Otto. I am in no way trying to discredit Brainwavz, as I am a big fan of both the B200 and B400 and also what they're trying to do with cost to performance in the audio world. I recommended them alot to people who ask for good sounding, and inexpensive iem's.
I also am hoping "qualified" reviewers start paying for some Toneking earphones so people can start finding out how good the company is as a whole.
It is a fact that Brainwavz has a good warranty and fast shipping too. It's a good time to be a fan of midfi chifi for sure!

Yes, widespread use and qualified reviews made, for instance, the iBasso IT01 a winner for everybody. Here, the risk was entirely removed as we all knew what we were getting. But the ibasso were substantially cheaper and therefore a lower risk to begin with. When going higher, I have a personal benchmark on my bucket list: the Etymotic ER series. Again, well established earphones...these need to be beaten in my own perception.

Just received my TRN v80.

@crabdog mine sound nothing like you describe aside from them being a touch sibilant. Seems to be plenty of sub bass.

Not going to jump in with 2 feet just yet but initial impressions are very favourable. Lots of detail and decent separation and non recessed mids.

Really well built and nice weight. Cable is really nice too.

I sometimes suffer from a disease called "moreofthesame". Or, as the Germans say: "When the mouse is full, the flour tastes bitter". A first impression can be influenced by mood either way. I also think that the optics and haptic may influence the initial sound judgement. At home, I sometimes choose my iem by appearance out of my big box.

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #16,637 of 33,689
@toddy0191
For some reason, I was thinking the price was $70 (I received a review sample) and that's partly why I was being so critical. For the actual price (as low as $31 on HotFi) it's pretty decent. I agree with you that the build quality and cable are very good for the price.

Same here with the ZS10: for the sale price, they were ok, but for the official list price, they were not (in my opinion). I tailored my review according to the list price.

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #16,638 of 33,689
Yes, widespread use and qualified reviews made, for instance, the iBasso IT01 a winner for everybody. Here, the risk was entirely removed as we all knew what we were getting. But the ibasso were substantially cheaper and therefore a lower risk to begin with. When going higher, I have a personal benchmark on my bucket list: the Etymotic ER series. Again, well established earphones...these need to be beaten in my own perception.

I sometimes suffer from a disease called "moreofthesame". Or, as the Germans say: "When the mouse is full, the flour tastes bitter". A first impression can be influenced by mood either way. I also think that the optics and haptic may influence the initial sound judgement. At home, I sometimes choose my iem by appearance out of my big box.

Very true and I'm certainly prone to what you're describing. Time will tell with more listening. They certainly look and feel premium.

Get my etymotic hf3s on Friday and my ED16s are arriving tomorrow. Choices , choices...

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #16,639 of 33,689
I remember Dsnuts. He was the reason I purchased way too many JVC headphones, back in was it 2011-2012. He's the reason I partially believe in burn in because some of those JVC headphones definitely needed it and there was a definite change.

So basically a 1-man hype train? Lol

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #16,640 of 33,689

Draisine-Laufen.JPG

Jul 18, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #16,643 of 33,689

Jvc definitely needs the burn in

His headphone discovery thread (think it was his) was quite popular. It was quite literally the precursor to these Chi-Fi threads. But yea I remember him as the main JVC guy.

Some of those JVCs were so harsh, I'd literally throw them on a backup media player and never listen to them for the first 2 weeks. lol.

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #16,646 of 33,689
His headphone discovery thread (think it was his) was quite popular. It was quite literally the precursor to these Chi-Fi threads. But yea I remember him as the main JVC guy.

Some of those JVCs were so harsh, I'd literally throw them on a backup media player and never listen to them for the first 2 weeks. lol.

Oh, don’t get me wrong he’s a good guy and a great benefit to the HF community. I was just joking around.

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #16,647 of 33,689
I finally just received the Hisenior T12U. They offer everything I hoped for and more. The Bass is perfect to my ears, just the right amount, everything sounds extremely balanced really. The mids are a step up to the B8U, just incredible since the B8U already offers the best mids I've heard so far. Treble is buttery smooth and extended, they look and feel amazing and they feel a bit like a steal even at about 650€. I'm very very happy so far and will write a dedicated review comparing them to the NiceHCK 14BA flagship as soon as they arrive.

Now I'll be able to safely recommend Hisenior to ANYONE which is looking for the best performance for your buck. The B8U and T12U are magical. After a bit of listening, what the T12U does is smooth the treble a bit compared to the B8 and add a tiny bit more of a fun signature with its superb bass. I cannot believe that I'm not listening to a DD responsible for the bass, but you know it's BA bass since it's so quick, articulate and defined/detailed. :)

I'll heartily recommend them. I see no reason at all to "upgrade" to anything else. Maybe some sidegrades in the future, but these are IMO as best as it gets for the price and I think I'd have to pay double, rather triple the price to get "better" performance!

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #16,648 of 33,689
I finally just received the Hisenior T12U. They offer everything I hoped for and more. The Bass is perfect to my ears, just the right amount, everything sounds extremely balanced really. The mids are a step up to the B8U, just incredible since the B8U already offers the best mids I've heard so far. Treble is buttery smooth and extended, they look and feel amazing and they feel a bit like a steal even at about 650€. I'm very very happy so far and will write a dedicated review comparing them to the NiceHCK 14BA flagship as soon as they arrive.

Now I'll be able to safely recommend Hisenior to ANYONE which is looking for the best performance for your buck. The B8U and T12U are magical. After a bit of listening, what the T12U does is smooth the treble a bit compared to the B8 and add a tiny bit more of a fun signature with its superb bass. I cannot believe that I'm not listening to a DD responsible for the bass, but you know it's BA bass since it's so quick, articulate and defined/detailed. :)

I'll heartily recommend them. I see no reason at all to "upgrade" to anything else. Maybe some sidegrades in the future, but these are IMO as best as it gets for the price and I think I'd have to pay double, rather triple the price to get "better" performance!
How do they work with poorly recorded music, let's say punk or other late 70s/early 80s stuff?

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #16,649 of 33,689
Hi everyone.

It's a long time I don't show up here.
I've received my "kz qt2" next and i am loving them so far. Airy, detailed and textured fun sound. Without any fatiguing.

Now i am thinking in give a try to @Clearhead reccomendation ACZ KR06-6. Anyone got them ? Any other good call for around 35 bucks ? Thx. I think most of the already well know in this price would be redundant.

Jul 18, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #16,650 of 33,689
The Toneking TK2 is closer to the sound of the Rose mini. It has amazing highs. Fits like the HK6 with no mid bass hump.
Dang, you have a way with words that make me salivate over the tk2, haha. It's time to soon remove them from my Ali cart and into my orders. I would love to compare them to the T4's. I just ordered the T66s, so the tk2 needs to be ordered soon as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back