Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #16,591 of 33,689
is the low end lacking on these?

Depends on your preferences. Bass is slightly elevated but they're certainly not bassy. I don't find them lacking at all whatsoever, but as with everything some do. They're top of the tree for me, hence why I bought some despite having a review sample. Wanted a set in red :D

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #16,593 of 33,689
The Moondrop Kanas Pro is on aliexpress. Diamond-like-Carbon driver with metal housing.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Moo...FI-Monitor-Earphones-Earplug/32869004880.html
I have written a review (in German). Here is a (very) short version of the main points.

_KE50763.jpg

Packaging & Accessories
Minimal. Go buy yourself a case and I also recommend SpinFit CP-145.

_KE70770.jpg

Design & Build
I am not a fan of the bling-bling metal housing. It's highly reflective and it could be a bit more ergonomic. The nozzle is very long and makes it a bit more difficult to find the correct fit than necessary. But I have no issues with the build quality.

The cable is good. Copper-clad aluminum is actually quite cheap and not the preferred choice for high-end audio (because of high resistance), but the 8 strings are very flexible with no memory. It does feel good and is user-replaceable. I think a new one costs 299 CNY which isn't expensive. Channel separation is very good.

_KE50767 1.jpg _KE50770.jpg

Sound
Wow. Whatever your expectations, increase them! This is basically the best dynamic IEM I have yet heard.

Based on my friend's measurements over at Headflux.de, I have compensated the curve in REW, smoothed it and manually corrected the resonance (7.5 kHz) peak to my personal hearing (9 kHz). The outcome of my subjective perception looks like this:

MoonDrop Kanas Pro.png

This is indeed very close to the original frequency response released by 水月雨 MoonDrop. I think our targets might be very similar.

The bass is very good. You can hear the boosted sub-bass but it's not overdone. The coloration is minimal and the Kanas Pro Edition (KPE) does not sound boomy or even punchy. It sounds accurate with some added rumble. It's not a well-textured bass - which is typical for dynamic IEMs, but some prefer this as the perception is closer to the physical impact of loudspeakers.

The midrange is awesome! Tonally accurate but most importantly detailed without any fatigue. The resolution is very high and I managed to pick up small cues that I never thought dynamic drivers were capable of - like doubled voices on the track, clipping in the mastering, small recording errors, etc. But none of them jump at you, the music is always the priority.

The treble has a bright tilt, e.g. it starts slightly recessed and then picks up and peaks at 12-13 kHz. This creates a slightly fuzzy sound with higher notes and many cymbals on Rock records, which mostly hit at around 6-8 kHz, are not as pronounced. The dip does remove any threats of sibilance, so don't worry about sharp S-sounds. Just a few trumpets sounded slightly hot to me. Harmonics are boosted which gives the illusion of increased resolution but also faster decay. It's a preference that I personally do not share. But overall, this is nitpicking and the treble presence is there where it belongs. The extension is superb. (In fact, I don't know many IEMs that actually manage to get the highs just right so I could criticizes whichever IEM you name me.)

Soundstage is not the biggest I've heard but decently wide. The somewhat neutral tuning cannot create the depth of a v-shaped bass-boosted IEM but on the plus-side imaging is better. As I already mentioned, the resolution is top-notch. It does not sound like a multi-BA. It sounds softer but the microdetails are all there and the KPE performs better in the midrange than some TOTL BAs that I've heard. (I don't want to bash your favorite IEMs so I'm keeping it general.)

BTW, MoonDrop advertises extremely low distortion. I don't think this is something ears can easily pick up or is a make or break criteria, but my friend can confirm that his measurements have shown very low klirr factor.

Verdict
I really love them! On my list of favorite IEMs (short version in my profile), there are but two dynamics and both of them budget-tier. I want to place the KPE next to StageDiver 2 and Etymotic ER4 XR - or even above them because of the formidable extension on both ends. I could actually imagine using the KPE for professional monitoring, but they sound almost too enjoyable for this purpose.

_KE50765 1.jpg

Recommended for:
- Fans of the Sony MH1 that need an upgrade: The KPE will give you a more accurate tonality and a much improved resolution.
- Maybe for fans of the CA Andromeda. Not the stock 0 ohms version, but if you like the Andros at 3 ohms OI, the KPE could be the dynamic version of that.
- Users that randomize their playlist with all kinds of genres. EDM, violins, complex Jazz, Concerto, Rock, .... whatever. I can't think of a genre that would not be suited.
- Users that enjoy a good midrange but do not want to neglect bass and treble.
- Users that do not have a high-end source. This IEM does not bend at all. You can throw 100 ohms OI at it, it will sound the same as with 0 ohms. Just stay away from hiss, I can actually hear it with the Nintendo Switch.
- Finally, users that usually do not like dynamic IEMs and might have underestimated the capabilities.

Not recommended for:
- Fans of v-shape signature or big bass. The bass has a mild boost only.
- Users with very fit-dependent ears. Fit is not bad, but there are quite a few UIEMs that are easier to get a seal and a secure fit with.
- Users that do not want to blind by-passers in the sun. The metal housing reflects like crazy.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #16,594 of 33,689
I have written a review (in German). Here is a (very) short version of the main points.

Packaging & Accessories
Minimal. Go buy yourself a case and I also recommend SpinFit CP-145.

Design & Build
I am not a fan of the bling-bling metal housing. It's highly reflective and it could be a bit more ergonomic. The nozzle is very long and makes it a bit more difficult to find the correct fit than necessary. But I have no issues with the build quality.

The cable is good. Copper-clad aluminum is actually quite cheap and not the preferred choice for high-end audio (because of high resistance), but the 8 strings are very flexible with no memory. It does feel good and is user-replaceable. I think a new one costs 299 CNY which isn't expensive. Channel separation is very good.

Sound
Wow. Whatever your expectations, increase them! This is basically the best dynamic IEM I have yet heard.

Based on my friend's measurements over at Headflux.de, I have compensated the curve in REW, smoothed it and manually corrected the resonance (7.5 kHz) peak to my personal hearing (9 kHz). The outcome of my subjective perception looks like this:

This is indeed very close to the original frequency response released by 水月雨 MoonDrop. I think our targets might be very similar.

The bass is very good. You can hear the boosted sub-bass but it's not overdone. The coloration is minimal and the Kanas Pro Edition (KPE) does not sound boomy or even punchy. It sounds accurate with some added rumble. It's not a well-textured bass - which is typical for dynamic IEMs, but some prefer this as the perception is closer to the physical impact of loudspeakers.

The midrange is awesome! Tonally accurate but most importantly detailed without any fatigue. The resolution is very high and I managed to pick up small cues that I never thought dynamic drivers were capable of - like doubled voices on the track, clipping in the mastering, small recording errors, etc. But none of them jump at you, the music is always the priority.

The treble has a bright tilt, e.g. it starts slightly recessed and then picks up and peaks at 12-13 kHz. This creates a slightly fuzzy sound with higher notes and many cymbals on Rock records, which mostly hit at around 6-8 kHz, are not as pronounced. The dip does remove any threats of sibilance, so don't worry about sharp S-sounds. Just a few trumpets sounded slightly hot to me. Harmonics are boosted which gives the illusion of increased resolution but also faster decay. It's a preference that I personally do not share. But overall, this is nitpicking and the treble presence is there where it belongs. The extension is superb. (In fact, I don't know many IEMs that actually manage to get the highs just right so I could criticizes whichever IEM you name me.)

Soundstage is not the biggest I've heard but decently wide. The somewhat neutral tuning cannot create the depth of a v-shaped bass-boosted IEM but on the plus-side imaging is better. As I already mentioned, the resolution is top-notch. It does not sound like a multi-BA. It sounds softer but the microdetails are all there and the KPE performs better in the midrange than some TOTL BAs that I've heard. (I don't want to bash your favorite IEMs so I'm keeping it general.)

BTW, MoonDrop advertises extremely low distortion. I don't think this is something ears can easily pick up or is a make or break criteria, but my friend can confirm that his measurements have shown very low klirr factor.

Verdict
I really love them! On my list of favorite IEMs (short version in my profile), there are but two dynamics and both of them budget-tier. I want to place the KPE next to StageDiver 2 and Etymotic ER4 XR - or even above them because of the formidable extension on both ends. I could actually imagine using the KPE for professional monitoring, but they sound almost too enjoyable for this purpose.

Recommended for:
- Fans of the Sony MH1 that need an upgrade: The KPE will give you a more accurate tonality and a much improved resolution.
- Maybe for fans of the CA Andromeda. Not the stock 0 ohms version, but if you like the Andros at 3 ohms OI, the KPE could be the dynamic version of that.
- Users that randomize their playlist with all kinds of genres. EDM, violins, complex Jazz, Concerto, Rock, .... whatever. I can't think of a genre that would not be suited.
- Users that enjoy a good midrange but do not want to neglect bass and treble.
- Users that do not have a high-end source. This IEM does not bend at all. You can throw 100 ohms OI at it, it will sound the same as with 0 ohms. Just stay away from hiss, I can actually hear it with the Nintendo Switch.
- Finally, users that usually do not like dynamic IEMs and might have underestimated the capabilities.

Not recommended for:
- Fans of v-shape signature or big bass. The bass has a mild boost only.
- Users with very fit-dependent ears. Fit is not bad, but there are quite a few UIEMs that are easier to get a seal and a secure fit with.
- Users that do not want to blind by-passers in the sun. The metal housing reflects like crazy.

What's better (In my opinion of course) than the Kanas Pro? The Regular Kanas with the Kanas Pro cable.

The Kanas is punchier and livelier sounding than the Kanas Pro, but when comparing the two, the Kanas Pro would have better low extension and also smoother treble (the Kanas treble sounded more brittle in comparison) But then i tried to swap the cables, and i got the best of both world: the punchiness of the Kanas, but with the extention and treble of the Kanas Pro. It turns out that the Kanas is held back by the cable. I even like this configuration better than the Moondrop A4 (albeit that's a different sound characteristic)

20180717_204245-01.jpeg

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #16,595 of 33,689
So I bought the ED 16 and having issues with one side of the headphones cutting out. So reach out to the seller. This is my first time dealing with anything like this.

So after they asked me to send them a video of the headphones not working, they offered me $5 and told me to get it repaired locally. Which is of course just silly living in Canada.

Is this normal? We've sent like 6 msgs back and forth and they offered me $5.

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #16,597 of 33,689
So I bought the ED 16 and having issues with one side of the headphones cutting out. So reach out to the seller. This is my first time dealing with anything like this.

So after they asked me to send them a video of the headphones not working, they offered me $5 and told me to get it repaired locally. Which is of course just silly living in Canada.

Is this normal? We've sent like 6 msgs back and forth and they offered me $5.

I've had to do this a number of times.

Here's what I do, and it has always worked fine for me. If you do it this way, it stops all of the idiotic follow up questions (like "make sure it is plugged in" etc).

1. I write the issue very simply and clearly (w/Sharpie marker) on a few index cards. This way, I don't have to even say a word during the video - there are no language barrier issues. So for your problem (for example), I would write 3 index cards:
- KZ ED16
- LEFT side works OK
- RIGHT side defective NO SOUND​

2. I always start the video showing the 1st index card (ie KZ ED16 card), then I show the camera the retail box, the IEM, and the original packaging (ie showing the label) the IEM came in (to prove I bought it from them). Total time 10 seconds max for this part.

3. Next, I plug the IEM into a DAP and briefly show myself hitting play on the DAP. Total time 3-5 seconds for this part.

4. Now I hold up the 1st index card (ie LEFT side works OK card), then hold the LEFT earpiece up to the mic. The audio playing from the DAP will come across in the video. Total time 10 seconds max for this part.

5. Finally, I hold up the 2nd index card (ie RIGHT side defective NO SOUND card), then hold the RIGHT earpiece up to the mic. The audio playing from the DAP will NOT come across in the video. Total time 10 seconds max for this part.

Then I upload the video to YouTube, and send the seller the video link.

Also, common sense applies, such as making sure the video is in a quiet place that's well lit. Don't record it with a low resolution potato camera on a noisy subway at night time. The easier and clearer you allow the seller to see and hear the problem, the faster it will get resolved.

As far as the amount of the refund, that's up to you. If it's something cosmetic, like scratches/chips/dents/wrong color/missing accessories etc, and I can live with it, I'll take a partial refund. If it's basically junk and unusable, I demand a full refund or the seller reship me another one. But that's up to you.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #16,598 of 33,689
Got the TRN V80 in today. Initial impressions are disappointing... The bass lacks extension and there's very little sub-bass presence. Upper midrange/lower treble peak is sibilant and fatiguing. I'll put it on the burner but I'm fairly certain already that there's nothing special about this one.

trn.jpg

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #16,599 of 33,689
I've had to do this a number of times.

Here's what I do, and it has always worked fine for me. If you do it this way, it stops all of the idiotic follow up questions (like "make sure it is plugged in" etc).

1. I write the issue very simply and clearly (w/Sharpie marker) on a few index cards. This way, I don't have to even say a word during the video - there are no language barrier issues. So for your problem (for example), I would write 3 index cards:
- KZ ED16
- LEFT side works OK
- RIGHT side defective NO SOUND​

2. I always start the video showing the 1st index card (ie KZ ED16 card), then I show the camera the retail box, the IEM, and the original packaging (ie showing the label) the IEM came in (to prove I bought it from them). Total time 10 seconds max for this part.

3. Next, I plug the IEM into a DAP and briefly show myself hitting play on the DAP. Total time 3-5 seconds for this part.

4. Now I hold up the 1st index card (ie LEFT side works OK card), then hold the LEFT earpiece up to the mic. The audio playing from the DAP will come across in the video. Total time 10 seconds max for this part.

5. Finally, I hold up the 2nd index card (ie RIGHT side defective NO SOUND card), then hold the RIGHT earpiece up to the mic. The audio playing from the DAP will NOT come across in the video. Total time 10 seconds max for this part.

Then I upload the video to YouTube, and send the seller the video link.

Also, common sense applies, such as making sure the video is in a quiet place that's well lit. Don't record it with a low resolution potato camera on a noisy subway at night time. The easier and clearer you allow the seller to see and hear the problem, the faster it will get resolved.

As far as the amount of the refund, that's up to you. If it's something cosmetic, like scratches/chips/dents/wrong color/missing accessories etc, and I can live with it, I'll take a partial refund. If it's basically junk and unusable, I demand a full refund or the seller reship me another one. But that's up to you.

Wow thanks for the detailed response! I wish i had asked before i started the whole process. The back and forth is silly.

I was pretty surprised to have them offer me $5 when something is either wrong with the headphone or the cable and $5 isn't going to fix that.

It was from AK Audio.

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #16,600 of 33,689
Got the TRN V80 in today. Initial impressions are disappointing... The bass lacks extension and there's very little sub-bass presence. Upper midrange/lower treble peak is sibilant and fatiguing. I'll put it on the burner but I'm fairly certain already that there's nothing special about this one.

That's too bad. Oh well, another TRN model crashes and burns.

So it appears that out of 4 models only 1 (v20) is decent. That's not the best track record, but they are still a new player and hopefully they'll find their mojo.

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #16,601 of 33,689
Wow thanks for the detailed response! I wish i had asked before i started the whole process. The back and forth is silly.

I was pretty surprised to have them offer me $5 when something is either wrong with the headphone or the cable and $5 isn't going to fix that.

It was from AK Audio.

No problem; glad to help.

Yeah, I used to go through all of the back and forth time wasting, becoming frustrated with the dumb questions, language barrier problems, and whatnot.

I've also learned the hard way to ALWAYS save my shipping packages/boxes until the return window closes. I've had sellers try and weasel out by saying 'how do I know that is what we sent' and stuff. So now as soon as items arrive and I open them, I save the shipping package/envelope in a special place. Then I thoroughly check over and test the item. That way, if it's DOA or even dies a week later I can simply go to my special place, get out the original shipping stuff, get my index cards and Sharpie, and make my video.

It's soo much easier since I've started doing that.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #16,602 of 33,689

According to one of the first reviews by an Aliexpress shopper they sound better than RevoNext RN-QT2. It'll be interesting to see other reviews once they come in.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #16,603 of 33,689
According to one of the first reviews by an Aliexpress shopper they sound better than RevoNext RN-QT2. It'll be interesting to see other reviews once they come in.

Those already sound darn good. If by better he meant larger soundstage, faster bass and clearer mids we might have a celar winner in the <$100 price bracket.

EDIT: Looked at the graph on the Aliexpress page and some other reviews, doesn't look so good now.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #16,604 of 33,689

I expected this, unfortunately. Got one coming, unfortunately. Burner won't help, unfortunately. All very unfortunate :wink:.

Jul 17, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #16,605 of 33,689
I expected this, unfortunately. Got one coming, unfortunately. Burner won't help, unfortunately. All very unfortunate :wink:.

The unfortunateness of the situation is unfortunate, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back