Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 25, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #16,216 of 33,689
Thank you. I've managed to contain my emotions once I noticed that there aren't too many reviews around and it seems that the HK5 model has been receiving poor reviews. Which IEMS do you have experience with?

(Still prefer around $120 but will go up to 200 it seems)
You can't go wrong with the Hifi Boy OS V3.

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #16,217 of 33,689
I'd really appreciate some recommendations regarding wide bore tips please for a 5mm nozzle. Thanks

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #16,218 of 33,689
The BIG problem - the one I worry about - is going to happen later. Ora is working on licensing their graphene technology to other companies to use to make their own drivers. Once this happens, we will benefit from other companies having their own “true graphene” drivers. The issue will be all of confusion over the term. Basically lots of companies will be advertising “graphene drivers”, but some will be using graphene coatings and others will be using true (pure) graphene. The term will be overused in marketing, and which type of driver an IEM or headphone uses will become obfuscated. Physical examination of the driver is not always possible.

I'm afraid the "true graphene" or "graphene coating" itself is not a guarantee for "best" sound quality. We should judge the IEMs not by the material they're made of but rather how they sound.

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #16,220 of 33,689
I'm afraid the "true graphene" or "graphene coating" itself is not a guarantee for "best" sound quality. We should judge the IEMs not by the material they're made of but rather how they sound.

Yup, truer words have never been spoken.

Diaphragm material is just 1 small piece in the design. There's many other factors that have to go into driver engineering and tuning. The end result is all that matters.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #16,221 of 33,689
Do you love the zs5v1 in general. Do you like its wide holographic soundstage and how does the ed16 compare in this respect.
Cheers
They almost play identical in this sense, but the ED16 surrounds you with better definition. And, even though vocal sounds thicker, and slightly warmer on the ZS5, the ED16 sounds more organic, luscious with better transparency while maintaining the same holographic soundstage, image and field. It is really hard to find any fault on the ED16, besides its' detachable cables, which is just average.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #16,222 of 33,689
It is really hard to find any fault on the ED16, besides its' detachable cables, which is just average.

I posted this photo in another thread so you might not have seen it. I changed the cable on the ED16 and find it much nicer like this...including the fit. This is the current stock cable for the ZS10, ZSA and ES4.

I hated the cable that came with the ED16. I don't know why they did not use this one. It does not have to be a straight connector like on the rubbery cable... in fact this one works better for me.

10131170.jpg

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #16,224 of 33,689
I posted this photo in another thread so you might not have seen it. I changed the cable on the ED16 and find it much nicer like this...including the fit. This is the current stock cable for the ZS10, ZSA and ES4.

I hated the cable that came with the ED16. I don't know why they did not use this one. It does not have to be a straight connector like on the rubbery cable... in fact this one works better for me.

10131170.jpg
Rumour has it that Knowledge Zenith stopped production of the ED16 owing to poor sales in Asia...which is hard to understand looking at western forums, e.g. https://david-hahn.wixsite.com/chi-fiear

My TRN V60 replacement is on its way in the meantime. Check yours.

As to "upgrade" cables...have the drawer full of them following the last sale. Always good to have a stash of everything...also tips.

ZS.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #16,225 of 33,689
They almost play identical in this sense, but the ED16 surrounds you with better definition. And, even though vocal sounds thicker, and slightly warmer on the ZS5, the ED16 sounds more organic, luscious with better transparency while maintaining the same holographic soundstage, image and field. It is really hard to find any fault on the ED16, besides its' detachable cables, which is just average.

Very tempting indeed. Since the zs5v1 I've bought the zs6 and edr2, both of which didn't impress me that much. Time to test the waters again.
p.s. which sounds better? Black or blue?

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #16,226 of 33,689
Rumour has it that Knowledge Zenith stopped production of the ED16 owing to poor sales in Asia. ..which is hard to understand looking at western forums, e.g. https://david-hahn.wixsite.com/chi-fiear

I can't read that site but I was surprised to see a photo of the Sunorm SE-950. I can't read it though so I have no idea if they recommended or not. I recently acquired them in a very strange way.

We were cleaning out a huge pile of iem boxes that my husband had stashed behind his monitor. Had to open them all to make sure there were no tips or cables inside. When he opened the last box on the very bottom there were iems inside..the Sunorm SE-950! Long forgotten. He checked his orders and found they had been ordered 15 months ago!

He said I was welcome to them... that he had been uable to get a fit so had just put them back in the box. So they are MY iems now! They even have a removable MMCX cable which curves around my ear well. I really enjoy them and wonder if anyone else has tried them or has any impressions.

Mine is the wine red.

R0013486.JPG

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #16,227 of 33,689
Very tempting indeed. Since the zs5v1 I've bought the zs6 and edr2, both of which didn't impress me that much. Time to test the waters again.
p.s. which sounds better? Black or blue?

Haha. My translucent black one sounds great and you saw the picture:) If you have blue eyes, get the blue:)

Users who are viewing this thread

• AIME
Back