Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 5, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #15,826 of 33,689
They are not bright. I do not like bright IEMs (anymore) so I can enjoy them. Sonically they remind me of another 4BA set - the Brainwavz B400.

You could consider the Sendiy M1221instead which is known as a good bright IEM which I liked, too although of the brightness. 1clearhead would recommend these, too I am sure.
The Sendiy M1221 is a good deal because of their awesome package, but there is plenty of competition to be had just in sound alone, as you can see with the new global release of the KR06-6 and KR06-4. :wink:

-Clear

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #15,827 of 33,689
Just got some tin audio t2's which i love. Wondering what is the "go to" for chifi bluetooth iems? I can't find much. Budget maybe 100usd but i'd like to get the best "bang for buck" like the t2's.

Cheers

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #15,829 of 33,689
Why didn't Meizu send this cable out to owners of the Live for no charge? That would have been the right thing to do.

It's nothing against you - I'm glad you are happy with your setup.

Its just yet another example of a half-baked product going out for owners to do the QC, and when companies back pedal and fix issues, they expect the owners of their half-baked defective goods to pay a 2nd time to have the problem fixed. It's the manufacturer's responsibility to get the kinks worked out before the product ships out.

Saying such things about the Meizu is quite unfair, IMO. Its not like users saying the original cable is faulty in any way, its just users saying buying an upgrade cable for it improves the product. It'd be no different if they sold a 2nd package with the upgrade cable as an extra or my fav example, the Dita Answer Truth edition (with the VDH Truth cable).

Tin Audio T2 cables, on the other hand, now that's a matter of contention.

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #15,830 of 33,689
While I feel terrible for the owners, TRN was just as much an unlucky victim - they were the simply the chumps that were dumb enough to have their name put on the box. The real culprit is MDK-ESS.

The MDK-ESS ASK and ASY had atrocious build quality, literally falling apart in people's hands right out of the box. And that's assuming all of your drivers were even soldered at all, or weren't flopping around loose inside of the housings (rattling around as the fell apart in all of their glory).

I knew the second MDK-ESS released the ASE model, as tempting as it looked, that I wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm sooo glad I stayed a mile away. Sadly, I knew the second I saw the ASE repackaged as the TRN V60 a few months later that there was going to be serious fallout.

I mean, MDK-ESS literally went from using little to no glue on the ASK and ASY models, to going overboard with the glue on the ASE!

TRN has obviously used different manufacturers for their various IEMs, so don't write them off forever. Hopefully they just learn their lesson and never use MDK-ESS again.
Wow! Guess I got really lucky with my ASY. No qc problems. Looks and sounds great! Hope it holds up well. I really enjoy them.

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #15,831 of 33,689
There is no sound difference between the T2 stock cable and the third-party cable I installed other than different resistances in both (I got two T2s and can compare). The "upgrade" cable plays slightly quieter as it adds to the iPhone's output resistance. In most cases, if a lower-resistance cable is installed, the sound is just "louder" and is therefore perceived as "better". Theoretically, changing the output impedance can change the frequency response ("sound"), which can be determined by measurements and calculations.

In the Meizu case, I cannot believe that a different cable makes a substantial difference in sound. And $60 for a cable (my excellent Etymotic HF5 were $75 including cable)...well, if you believe that silver (or whatever material it is) not only conducts electrons better, but it also knows that the perceived difference in electron flow results in a better sound (why should it not result in a worse sound?), then...

But hey, wait until this $60 cable will have been broken in (pardon, "burnt-in") - in another 500 hours some electrons will be stuck to the cable's walls to create an even better and more linear flow of electrons. Or not.

In summary, $200 for the earphones and another $60 to make it sound good...thank you very much. I bet my cheap Etys sound better.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #15,832 of 33,689
There is no sound difference between the T2 stock cable and the third-party cable I installed other than different resistances in both (I got two T2s and can compare). The "upgrade" cable plays slightly quieter as it adds to the iPhone's output resistance. In most cases, if a lower-resistance cable is installed, the sound is just "louder" and is therefore perceived as "better". Theoretically, changing the output impedance can change the frequency response ("sound"), which can be determined by measurements and calculations.

In the Meizu case, I cannot believe that a different cable makes a substantial difference in sound. And $60 for a cable (my excellent Etymotic HF5 were $75 including cable)...well, if you believe that silver (or whatever material it is) not only conducts electrons better, but it also knows that the perceived difference in electron flow results in a better sound (why should it not result in a worse sound?), then...

But hey, wait until this $60 cable will have been broken in (pardon, "burnt-in") - in another 500 hours some electrons will be stuck to the cable's walls to create an even better and more linear flow of electrons. Or not.

In summary, $200 for the earphones and another $60 to make it sound good...thank you very much. I bet my cheap Etys sound better.

how's the HF5 sounds compared to the T2?

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #15,833 of 33,689
...some electrons will be stuck to the cable's walls to create an even better and more linear flow of electrons...

Just be careful though, because if too many electrons build up in the cable walls, there is an increased risk of cable atherosclerosis.

Jun 5, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #15,834 of 33,689
Anybody heard of Moon Drop(水月雨)before?
They have a CIEM called Blessing and it looks very promising!

It's a hybrid in a three-way design with a dynamic driver for bass and 4 BA receivers: 2x mid-high and 2x ultra high.

TB2edZFg8smBKNjSZFsXXaXSVXa_!!722535384.jpg TB2FyR1uuSSBuNjy0FlXXbBpVXa_!!722535384.jpg

If anybody feels lucky, it's available here: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...46459Bp0yW5&id=570912827188&scene=taobao_shop

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #15,835 of 33,689
I made no allusions to the SQ regarding T2's old and new cable, only that they felt the need to somehow supply a better cable on the later batches of T2. Make of that what you will.

As usual, discussion regarding cables and its "effect" on SQ will always be contentious, lets not devolve it any further. Unless somehow Meizu directly states upgrade cables improves SQ and proper ABX testing done to it, further speculations is useless. As someone oft said, just take it to the audio science thread.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #15,836 of 33,689
I made no allusions to the SQ regarding T2's old and new cable, only that they felt the need to somehow supply a better cable on the later batches of T2. Make of that what you will.

As usual, discussion regarding cables and its "effect" on SQ will always be contentious, lets not devolve it any further. Unless somehow Meizu directly states upgrade cables improves SQ and proper ABX testing done to it, further speculations is useless. As someone oft said, just take it to the audio science thread.
That's interesting. Where did you learn about them changing the cable? I ask because that was my only real disappointment with the T2 - after only about 2 weeks the cable turned green from top to bottom.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #15,837 of 33,689
That's interesting. Where did you learn about them changing the cable? I ask because that was my only real disappointment with the T2 - after only about 2 weeks the cable turned green from top to bottom.

on their facebook page (also it was discussed somewhere here on head-fi while it was still FOTM)

K6Iuqcr.png

persuaded a friend to purchase (along with the T1), luckily we got the later version (still super tight MMCX connections though)

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #15,838 of 33,689

I honestly bought the cable because I didn't like the feel of the original one and wanted one without the remote (and I'm in a place in my life where I can spend 60 USD if I like something and not lose sleep over it).

I did not expect any noticeable improvement yet it is there (for me) so I thought I will mention it.

Maybe I'm just cheating myself but I'm happy with my earphones (I wasted quite a lot of money before trying to find set I like) and I'm happy with my 60 USD cable so who cares?

And if you are happy with your earphones, I'm happy for you.

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #15,839 of 33,689
on their facebook page (also it was discussed somewhere here on head-fi while it was still FOTM)

K6Iuqcr.png

persuaded a friend to purchase (along with the T1), luckily we got the later version (still super tight MMCX connections though)
Awesome thanks. I'm really looking forward to the T2 pro and t3

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #15,840 of 33,689
how's the HF5 sounds compared to the T2?
The HF5 - the only Etys I know - are much superior over the Tinaudio T2. While one can argue about particularities such "bass decay" etc. etc., their overall homogeneity and tuning are just superb...incredible voice rendering, tight bass...When using the Etys, I hadn't gotten the desire to use any other earphones. I may have found the perfect earphones after more than 60 in my drawer...

Somebody wrote about the KZ ES4: "...good for $20 but nothing groundbreaking..."

In analogy, one could say about the HF5: "Superb value for $75 and a sonic benchmark".

So, what is missing compared to the >$1000 iems? The latter have better resolution, a bigger stage, and less distortion. But will they be more fun? These HF5 are darn good sounding.

I conclude:

1. An experienced company like Etymotic adds a lot of scientific know-how to their earphones which is reflected by tuning and homogeneity of sound.
2. You won't get any unpleasant surprises from an established and respected company like that (see Meizu cable or TRN V60 disaster).
3. All Etymotic models feature a single BA driver which produce better images than cheap multi-drivers: less is more!
4. If you are still looking for your sub-$100 killer earphone, it is American (albeit made in China), sorry!

P.S. It is claimed that "...Etymotic's hf5 lists for $xx, the hf2 for $yy. Both offer what Killion claims is virtually identical performance to the ER-4 and to one another—..."
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/budgetc...ear_headphones/index.html#ylpFd64gJyI1xt79.99

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back