Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Apr 7, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #15,110 of 33,689
Apr 7, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #15,111 of 33,689
Apr 7, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #15,113 of 33,689
How do you notice that?

from the plasticky clicking noises when you insert the iems
i think it's a sign of driver flex

Yeah, sounds kind of like crinkling or crunching aluminum foil.

It's a well known phenomenom with the ZhiYin Z5000 (and many other IEMs), and is generally due to the way the IEM is vented (allowing positive pressure caused by inserting an IEM to vent and pressure to equalize).

It doesn't usually hurt anything, and lots of headphones and IEMs have flex. Technically, it can cause issues in extreme cases.

It helps if you insert an IEM into your ear slower, and/or use foam eartips.

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #15,114 of 33,689

If that is what it sounds like then I don't think I have experienced driver flex. I often get a squishy sound that I thought was from the silicone tips squishing in but then someone told me that was driver flex. I don't know. I usually just get it in my right ear where the tip is a slightly tighter fit than the left.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #15,116 of 33,689

It's a well known phenomenom with the ZhiYin Z5000 (and many other IEMs), and is generally due to the way the IEM is vented (allowing positive pressure caused by inserting an IEM to vent and pressure to equalize).

It doesn't usually hurt anything, and lots of headphones and IEMs have flex. Technically, it can cause issues in extreme cases.

Okay.....thats the driver flex thing!
Hum, did not the tips used can cause the....flex?

(did not happen to me with my 2 pairs of Z5000)

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #15,117 of 33,689
Okay.....thats the driver flex thing!
Hum, did not the tips used can cause the....flex?

(did not happen to me with my 2 pairs of Z5000)
You need a combination of 2 things to happen before driver flex can occur. The chamber of the IEM has to be sealed such that a change in air pressure outside the unit (inside your ear canal) moves the diaphragm. And you need an ear tip that seals well enough that air trapped inside your ear canal as the IEM gets inserted increases. Then you get flex. Since most foamies are still slightly porous they can help prevent it. Inserting the IEM sideways meaning that you use pressure in one direction to slightly deform the ear tip preventing a good seal for most of the insertion distance and let the air escape can be enough to reduce or prevent it for silicone tips.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #15,118 of 33,689
Yes, only experienced driver flex when using silicone tips on large dynamic drivers
no flex with foamies

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #15,119 of 33,689
Not to be silly, but the airplane 'trick' of chewing gum or just moving your jaw with that type of motion to relieve the pressure from altitude changes can help with driver flex if you have a particular IEM that has a lot. You may look silly opening your jaw and moving around your chin but you can learn the magic motion that will be just what your body needs to get rid of the excess air pressure in your ear canal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back