Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #6,586 of 7,153
The Marantz MPH-2 are my favorite wired headphones.
They sound great (with plenty of bass) and even accept Brainwavz earpads.

Yup--it's all true. I rolled a variety of pads on these, including Ori pads; Brainwavz sheepskins; MrSpeakers Alpha pads; and Brainwavz 100 mm leather.

Only the Brainwavz rounds really work, since they're so close in dimension to the stock pleather pads. But the others were pretty interesting experiments w/some off-the-wall sonics.

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #6,587 of 7,153
Just a quick update about the Xiaomi Mi 2nd graphene headphones - after a couple of months of regular use, the comfort has become excellent, it improved a lot over time. Now I really enjoy wearing these for 2-4 hour sessions. Sadly I noticed that the listings disappeared, it's not really sold on aliexpress at the moment or at least it's harder to find for good price.

Other thing that I worked on my custom EQ a bit more and I have been using the last version for the last month happily. This is my attempt at correcting some shortcomings of the stock tuning while keeping the good parts intact. I based it partly on frequency response measurement and partly on my subjective taste and listening habits. Maybe it's useful to someone. It doesn't really affect the sound when not neccessary, but improves a lot on genres that doesn't sound as good by default. In my experience, the headphone has a bit muffled, hollow, echoey tonality on genres that need a bit more bite and separation between low-mid-high freqs. For example prog rock, metal, anything energetic and textured or with electric guitars at least. The adjustments are kept below 3dB, so it's not very aggressive, I tried to make a smooth and faithful correction to the original sound. Maybe similar effect could be achieved by swapping earpads, or at least changing the dense cloth, but I don't want to do physical mods on this, really enjoying the build quality at the moment. :D

Here is my 31-band csv profile that I created with Equalizer APO, you can import it and set preamp or normalize it. I basically cleaned up the midrange, added more air to top and tightened plus deepend the bass. Check it out on fine prog rock albums, like Plini's Impulse Voices (particularly like The Glass Bead Game) or David Maxim Micic's "Who Bit the Moon" :)

Btw, is anyone familiar here with DIY headphone drivers avaiable on aliexpress? I started to mod my 1st gen AKG K514 and I plan to buy a nice upgrade driver for it. (40mm) But there are lot of options and not sure what are the best deals that would make a worthwhile improvement.

Attachments

• mi2-2021-correction.zip
    284 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #6,588 of 7,153
I disassembled my Openheart OH2000 headphones. It is a 50mm driver.

They disassemble easily. Unscrew both the front and back pieces from the cup, apply uniform heat across the entire cup (use heat gun and rotate cup back and forth), then the driver should push out easily.

Attached are photos of the driver.
These look exactly like the ones that came out and they are all over aliexpress.

I don't know what replacements to buy, but the nhoord Red seem popular. Unfortunately they are also 70 euro ($85 shipped). More expensive than the openhearts altogether.

Theres also these Tesla T1 drivers, but they are more pricy at about $110 shipped.

Attachments

• 20210109_100532.jpg
    20210109_100532.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210109_100543.jpg
    20210109_100543.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #6,591 of 7,153
I disassembled my Openheart OH2000 headphones. It is a 50mm driver.

They disassemble easily. Unscrew both the front and back pieces from the cup, apply uniform heat across the entire cup (use heat gun and rotate cup back and forth), then the driver should push out easily.

Attached are photos of the driver.
These look exactly like the ones that came out and they are all over aliexpress.

I don't know what replacements to buy, but the nhoord Red seem popular. Unfortunately they are also 70 euro ($85 shipped). More expensive than the openhearts altogether.

Theres also these Tesla T1 drivers, but they are more pricy at about $110 shipped.

Well, when the headphone is called "open-heart" that's what you do ...

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #6,592 of 7,153
My oh2000 has nothing to unscrew but yokes? And those won't seem to come off either. That Allen head screw just rotates but does not become looser.

IMG_20210109_173103.jpgIMG_20210109_173123.jpgIMG_20210109_173118.jpg

You twist it like you’re removing the lid from a jar of pickles or jam.

Both ends unscrew. The earpad end, and the grille end. It’s actually rather nice, and makes it easy to work on.

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #6,593 of 7,153
Thanks sleestack and slater! I was not expecting that to be that user friendly. It usually is not :D

I'll propably try modding it with stock driver first as it might be no driver will sound great without mods with that housing/pads.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #6,594 of 7,153
Gold Planar GL2000 double sided are legit. :beyersmile:

I'll have to spend more time with them but they're so fun to listen too.

20210113_104844.jpg

20210113_104832.jpg

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #6,595 of 7,153
Gold Planar GL2000 double sided are legit. :beyersmile:

I'll have to spend more time with them but they're so fun to listen too.

Please give more impressions when you can :)

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #6,596 of 7,153
Please give more impressions when you can :)

These punch higher than their weight with good bass and sparkly non fatiguing treble, though the best thing they're good at is imaging and layering!

The sound stage isn't too wide, however, depending on the song you'll hear details coming from everywhere. I get these details from Abyss 1266 TCs and the Heddphones, but didn't expect a close performance from a $700 headphone! Other than those, these are slightly forgiving to the quality of the tracks that you are listening to, with no sibilance. :o2smile:

The cable is good with two 3.5mm connectors to a 4.4mm balanced. I'm using that 4.4mm balanced out on the Cayin N6ii A01. Will try them on the Chord combo later.

Back to burning these in. :L3000:

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #6,597 of 7,153
These punch higher than their weight with good bass and sparkly non fatiguing treble, though the best thing they're good at is imaging and layering!

The sound stage isn't too wide, however, depending on the song you'll hear details coming from everywhere. I get these details from Abyss 1266 TCs and the Heddphones, but didn't expect a close performance from a $700 headphone! Other than those, these are slightly forgiving to the quality of the tracks that you are listening to, with no sibilance. :o2smile:

The cable is good with two 3.5mm connectors to a 4.4mm balanced. I'm using that 4.4mm balanced out on the Cayin N6ii A01. Will try them on the Chord combo later.

Back to burning these in. :L3000:
Awesome! Thanks a ton for these.

Sounds like these really are pretty good.

How are these with female vocals?
Also, are there any cons to them that come to mind?

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #6,598 of 7,153
Awesome! Thanks a ton for these.

Sounds like these really are pretty good.

How are these with female vocals?
Also, are there any cons to them that come to mind?

These are still breaking in, but the only cons are the slightly recessed mids, (I'm used to having them a bit more forward) and female voices are less energetic than my other cans.

Hope it'll change once the GLs have a good number of hours on them! Sweet planar slam just kicked open the door and started making some serious noise! :beyersmile:

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #6,599 of 7,153
These are still breaking in, but the only cons are the slightly recessed mids, (I'm used to having them a bit more forward) and female voices are less energetic than my other cans.

Hope it'll change once the GLs have a good number of hours on them! Sweet planar slam just kicked open the door and started making some serious noise! :beyersmile:

How do they compare to other TOTL headphones like the Fostex TH900 or Denon 9200's? Are these planars V shaped from what you can tell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back