Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
May 27, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #3,767 of 7,153
keeping mine forever

I'm loving them as well. These days I pretty much only use three headphones when listening at home: HD800S, HE560 and the A800. Haven't used the HD650 since I got the A800, the latter is a much better relaxed listening headphone for my preferences.

May 27, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #3,768 of 7,153
I'm loving them as well. These days I pretty much only use three headphones when listening at home: HD800S, HE560 and the A800. Haven't used the HD650 since I got the A800, the latter is a much better relaxed listening headphone for my preferences.

A relaxed listen is what I usually prefer with headphones, iems or buds. If I want to energize myself with music I would rather just play the music thoughout the house with the Sonos system. I need to start doing that again. Been too obsessed with putting things in or on my ears.

Back in Michigan I primarily listened with speakers... Advent Heritage floor standers in the living room with auxially speakers in the kitchen (sacrificed two upper cabinets for those and ran cables thru the basement and up into those cabinets). Baby Advents in the basement rec room. Upstairs I had a decent "boombox." 5.1 system in the TV room.

I had one pair of headphones for late night listening usually in bed just before sleeping. My Sennheiser HD480. The one originally released... not the MK2 that you can still sometimes find. Back then it was all about discovering new music... not discovering new gear. Simpler times. Sometimes I miss that.

Sometimes I think I am chasing a sound I can't really remember. I only remember how the music made me feel. The A800 gives me that feeling. Of course I also have other things that also do that, which is why I will not be adding more headphones. Still a bit addicted to checking out the hype on new buds and iems though. Maybe I just like getting little packages in the mail:)

May 27, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #3,769 of 7,153
A relaxed listen is what I usually prefer with headphones, iems or buds. If I want to energize myself with music I would rather just play the music thoughout the house with the Sonos system. I need to start doing that again. Been too obsessed with putting things in or on my ears.

Back in Michigan I primarily listened with speakers... Advent Heritage floor standers in the living room with auxially speakers in the kitchen (sacrificed two upper cabinets for those and ran cables thru the basement and up into those cabinets). Baby Advents in the basement rec room. Upstairs I had a decent "boombox." 5.1 system in the TV room.

I had one pair of headphones for late night listening usually in bed just before sleeping. My Sennheiser HD480. The one originally released... not the MK2 that you can still sometimes find. Back then it was all about discovering new music... not discovering new gear. Simpler times. Sometimes I miss that.

Sometimes I think I am chasing a sound I can't really remember. I only remember how the music made me feel. The A800 gives me that feeling. Of course I also have other things that also do that, which is why I will not be adding more headphones. Still a bit addicted to checking out the hype on new buds and iems though. Maybe I just like getting little packages in the mail:)

Both the HD800S and HE560 is pretty revealing headphones that both perform on a higher technical level then the A800, I was thinking in context compared to those two.

I don't think I'd be willing to spend the money or space for speakers matching their performance. With all do respect to Sonos the fidelity their system presents can't compare to good headphones imo. Very convenient solution though.

May 27, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #3,770 of 7,153
I don't think I'd be willing to spend the money or space for speakers matching their performance. With all do respect to Sonos the fidelity their system presents can't compare to good headphones imo. Very convenient solution though.

of course... but great for dancing around the house getting things done!

May 27, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #3,771 of 7,153
respect to Sonos the fidelity their system presents can't compare to good headphones imo

You are talking to someone who fell in love with music on old 45s and music coming from far away late at night on an AM transitor radio. There are probably people who do not know what any of that is:)

May 27, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #3,772 of 7,153
You are talking to someone who fell in love with music on old 45s and music coming from far away late at night on an AM transitor radio. There are probably people who do not know what any of that is:)

You're probably right :wink: I remember sitting up late at night trying to get the frequency with the least interference from radio Luxembourg in my youth myself......

May 27, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #3,773 of 7,153
You're probably right :wink: I remember sitting up late at night trying to get the frequency with the least interference from radio Luxembourg in my youth myself......

those were magical times

May 27, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #3,774 of 7,153

You remind me of an FM radio story. In the early '80s I had an old Grundig AM/FM console radio next to my bed & had it on all night (every night) tuned to the best NYC classical station. This radio had amazing sound, bassy & soothing. One night I dreamed I heard strange, wonderful vocal music--then awoke at 4AM & realized it was actually happening...WNYC-FM was playing vocal/choral music that was strange & beautiful beyond words--otherwordly. I actually got up & called the station, but couldn't get through.

~30 years later, I knew and liked Tuvan throat-singing and other folk traditions that employ overtone-singing (ie, singing a musical note while simultaneously producing 2 or more partial harmonics above it--thirds, fifths, octave, etc). I learned of David Hykes, whose "Harmonic Choir" used tape looping & other techniques to record overtone-singing in highly reverberant spaces (large caves, cathedrals, etc). When I heard his 1982 recording, HEARING SOLAR WINDS, it was that ah-hah moment..."so THIS is what I heard all those years ago!"

I still listen to it 2-3X a month.

May 27, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #3,775 of 7,153
I still listen to it 2-3X a month.

So what do you use to listen to this now? I love Tuvan throat singing. I have some Huun-Huur-Tu cds. Not familiar with this one... will check it out. Seems like something for the A800.

Speaking of strange & beautiful beyond words--otherwordly, my son and I went to a Nusrat Fatah Ali Kahn show at the Fox Theater in Detroit in 1996. Amazing. A year later Nusrat died in London. We had first heard him in the music for Natural Born Killers. Alone and with Eddie Vedder who it turns out was a fan.

May 27, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #3,777 of 7,153
So what do you use to listen to this now? I love Tuvan throat singing. I have some Huun-Huur-Tu cds. Not familiar with this one... will check it out. Seems like something for the A800.

Speaking of strange & beautiful beyond words--otherwordly, my son and I went to a Nusrat Fatah Ali Kahn show at the Fox Theater in Detroit in 1996. Amazing. A year later Nusrat died in London. We had first heard him in the music for Natural Born Killers. Alone and with Eddie Vedder who it turns out was a fan.

Omigod, can't believe you heard NFAK....he was pure musical/spiritual genius. I have zero spirituality or religion, but his singing took me someplace better than here, every time. Still can't believe he's dead.
  • NATURAL BORN KILLERS? That's rather ironic, to hear this divine music in a film so perversely/stylishly violent.
  • Wait--you heard this music with your son? It's amazing to have common musical ground with your son like that...
I sometimes listen to this Harmonic Choir recording on headphone (usually Fidelio X2s--they sound diffuse & relaxing to begin with). I prefer to hear it at low volume on good electronics through the ATC SCM12 Pro monitors (which are pretty special). This music--choral/liturgical music in general--really helps me work (writing). I don't exactly trance out, but certainly end up in the alpha state more than usual.

May 27, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #3,778 of 7,153
How
good are bluedio products i am considering the bluedio t4s?

I had T4S in the past. Good build quality and battery life, too small and uncomfortable earpads, average sound with slightly overemphasized bass. Nothing special overall.

May 27, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #3,779 of 7,153
Omigod, can't believe you heard NFAK....he was pure musical/spiritual genius. I have zero spirituality or religion, but his singing took me someplace better than here, every time. Still can't believe he's dead.

Happy to find out that I am not the only one in here who knows about him. I remember the concert went on for hours. At some point we left our seats and wandered way up to one of the upper levels of the theater. That was when it became really otherworldly... the way the sound was way up there. Will never forget it. A hot August night. When we were walking back to the car, we saw Nusrat and his entourage come out a side door but we did not have the nerve to approach him.

NATURAL BORN KILLERS? That's rather ironic, to hear this divine music in a film so perversely/stylishly violent.

So much good music in the soundtrack. perversely/stylishly violent...that certainly describes the film.

Wait--you heard this music with your son? It's amazing to have common musical ground with your son like that...

Yes, of all my kids he was most like me. My music, computer and tech buddy. Sadly he left this earth in Nov. 2010. Lost his battle with depression. He really tried. Finally I guess even music could not help. I miss him horribly The world is a poorer place without him. Sorry to be so dark but it is what it is.

I sometimes listen to this Harmonic Choir recording on headphone (usually Fidelio X2s--they sound diffuse & relaxing to begin with). I prefer to hear it at low volume on good electronics through the ATC SCM12 Pro monitors (which are pretty special). This music--choral/liturgical music in general--really helps me work (writing). I don't exactly trance out, but certainly end up in the alpha state more than usual.

I always listened to Nusrat and to Huun-Huur-Tu through my modest hifi system. I have not listened to it here but I did bring all my cds. Really loved those Advent Heritage Speakers. Not that expensive but well regarded at the time. I have seen online that some people still look for them to restore.

May 28, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #3,780 of 7,153
Hello threadfolk,

I think OKCSC now have something that could be the successor of the M1 I read @HungryPanda quite liked.
I haven't found them mentioned on here, but it's difficult to find anything about them as they have the same model number on the product page as a closed back set they sell (which resembles the msur n550 a fair bit).
So, after some consideration, I jumped on them.
Has anyone heard these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back