Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Apr 16, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #3,361 of 7,153
Doesn't surprise me.

The Pro82 always seemed about 50/50:
  • Half of the people love them and say they are amazing
  • The other half say they sound like crap
And like the ZS5 v1 (which is very sensitive to source matching and amping), it does't surprise me that the same thing seems to be the case is with the Pro82.

Do you know how it can be explained? I mean....look like it just sound excellent with this very Opamp....its strange. With Xduoo X10 or X3 (not using line out) it sound kind of congested, not in a disastrous way, but once you heard it with the right pairing it something elese, I feel its really more the amping than the DAC that is responsible for the improvment. We talk about better layering, more beefier impacfull bass as well as more vocal presence, highs in fact feel less sharp and invasive.

Try to find answer in the specs sheet, have my eyes on the SP of 93db and rated power of 20mW. But i'm clueless really.

Specification
• Transducer Principle: Dynamic
• Driver Diameter: Ø40mm
• Impedance: 32Ω±15%
• Frequency Response: 10Hz-20KHz
• Sensitivity: 96±3dB at 1KHz
• Max. Power: 50mW
• Rated Power: 20mW
• Cable: Ø4mmX2.2m
• Adaptor Plug: Ø3.5mm+6.3mm
• Net Weight: 237g (w/o cable)

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #3,363 of 7,153
What was the previous OpAmp chip on the DAC Amp ?

It could be a number of issues from poor circuit implementation to impedance matching or even stuff like bandwidth clipping or maybe even mains power noise afflicting the previous opamp more than the new one.

Cheap NE5532....

But some DAP just don't sound right with the PRO82 as well.

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #3,366 of 7,153
Apr 17, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #3,367 of 7,153
OK I will check them out, how would you guys say they compare to others?

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #3,368 of 7,153
I decided to get them, thanks guys, let you know how they turn out! So far I haven't been sorry about anything I have bought following the advice on head fi so I'm sure they will be great, thanks again in advance

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #3,369 of 7,153
Any TAKSTAR PRO82 owner here?

Well, I don't know what happen with mine but they now sound miraculously good......and this is since I change Opamp of my DIY Xmos AK4490 DAC-AMP for a Burson Audio V5iD (do it as well in my Walnut V2S with as well extreme sound upgrade). I guess those 2 was meant for each others....at first I find the Pro82 sounding too fowards and having a weak bass. Now, soundstage is quite wide but especially deep, and bass impact have improved alot and never distort (yes, it was distorting at high volume before).

It's really a revelation for me. God is in they Opamp? Don't know, but now the PRO82 are my favorite headphones.

Just wanna share this so people that think PRO82 sound bad know there hope cause yes they are very sensible to the amping of audio source.

I don't know man, I've tried my pair with a bunch of great sources and they're still a big disappointment to me. They're also very easy to drive.

Anyway, good you find a way to enjoy them :)

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #3,370 of 7,153
Placebo and brain adapting to the sound.
Hum, I don't think my brain can adapt to distortion....as well as erasing it by creating audio wave by thelepaty so it can stop distortion.
I call that....an anti-answer.
Its like the doctor that always put all symptom on stress , cause they are too lazy to search for real answer.
Amping is the answer. One simple test like using Xduoo X3 with or without an amp confirm that big time. Its like stretching the sound into a 3D presentation with better bass extension and layering against a fowards tapestry of sound.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #3,371 of 7,153
I don't know man, I've tried my pair with a bunch of great sources and they're still a big disappointment to me. They're also very easy to drive.

Anyway, good you find a way to enjoy them :)

Too bad, but its quite possible, i'm not telling everybody can enjoy these, its still a headphones that can't compete with exceptional more pricey headphones. With some source I don't like them, they need to be warmed up a little but not with a source that sacrifice details and clarity.
You try them with warm and clean source, like a tube amp or a smooth DAP with good amping?
For example, with the Xduoo X20 they sound too agressive in upper range and mid bass impact feel trebly and not thick enough.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #3,372 of 7,153
Too bad, but its quite possible, i'm not telling everybody can enjoy these, its still a headphones that can't compete with exceptional more pricey headphones. With some source I don't like them, they need to be warmed up a little but not with a source that sacrifice details and clarity.
You try them with warm and clean source, like a tube amp or a smooth DAP with good amping?
For example, with the Xduoo X20 they sound too agressive in upper range and mid bass impact feel trebly and not thick enough.

I haven't really heard any distortion with them but rather a noticeable lack of bass (not only subbass but also natural weight), they're also very two dimensional sounding to me.

I've tried them with the Ember II, Little Dot I+ (with Burson V5i op amp), Burson V2+ (both with the internal DAC and my tube DAC) but also the Geek Out V2+, Opus #11, Opus #1 and #1S to mention the most noticeable ones.

I really can't see any explanation for your experience except from brain burn in or that your pair (and possibly mine as well) have some issues and that yours healed for some reason (moving or knocking them or something else)......

Apr 17, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #3,373 of 7,153
I haven't really heard any distortion with them but rather a noticeable lack of bass (not only subbass but also natural weight), they're also very two dimensional sounding to me.

I've tried them with the Ember II, Little Dot I+ (with Burson V5i op amp), Burson V2+ (both with the internal DAC and my tube DAC) but also the Geek Out V2+, Opus #11, Opus #1 and #1S to mention the most noticeable ones.

I really can't see any explanation for your experience except from brain burn in or that your pair (and possibly mine as well) have some issues and that yours healed for some reason (moving or knocking them or something else)......

Oh, I see, you test it on lot of great gear....well, if there where more bass, I would have to be a basshead to enjoy them cause for me there plenty enough.
And for brain burn in....they were kind of taking dust cause on portable source I have they sound too foward and lack soundstage...my brain was just not able to deal with them before.

I'm really on par with ahmadfaizadnan review of PRO82, and he compare it to great high end headphones as well as using great source. I guess where talking about subjective taste for soundsignature then.

''VS Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart

Bass quantity and low-end. Fostex TH-X00 line up along with TH600, TH610 and TH900 are well-known with their great bass and low-end. TH-X00 PH has a good amount of bass but I found that Pro 82 has a cleaner and pleasing bass. The soundstage on TH-X00 PH goes wider and taller that provides more breathing space between you and the singer. To my surprise, despite the better soundstage, Pro 82 has a better imaging. The engaging mids with amazing clarity on Pro 82 makes TH-X00 slightly recessed and distant. I remember that the top end is fatiguing on Fostex headphone but less so with my system. With the smoother treble, I really enjoy TH-X00 PH and decided to listen to them for another 30 minutes before I put the Pro 82 back on. Then, I played the same playlist again but through Pro 82 this time. I realized that I missed the meaty and lush sound with TH-X00. TH-X00 PH has thinner sound but better upper midrange. It has more micro detail in the treble, albeit fatiguing in long hours of listening. The Pro 82 is more forward sounding and has a pleasing treble extension. I enjoy both headphones but no doubt that I enjoy the Pro 82 more than TH-X00 PH in most songs. Do they have the same sound signature? I would say no because Pro 82 is forward sounding with a slight U-shape sound while TH-X00 PH has a larger soundstage with V-shape sound. Pro 82 wins in both isolation and comfort but only by a small margin. Is the TH-X00 a worthy upgrade from Pro 82? If you’re looking for a better low-end and soundstage while sacrificing the clarity and mids, I would say yes. Otherwise, I would say no.''

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #3,374 of 7,153
Oh, I see, you test it on lot of great gear....well, if there where more bass, I would have to be a basshead to enjoy them cause for me there plenty enough.
And for brain burn in....they were kind of taking dust cause on portable source I have they sound too foward and lack soundstage...my brain was just not able to deal with them before.

I'm really on par with ahmadfaizadnan review of PRO82, and he compare it to great high end headphones as well as using great source. I guess where talking about subjective taste for soundsignature then.

''VS Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart

Bass quantity and low-end. Fostex TH-X00 line up along with TH600, TH610 and TH900 are well-known with their great bass and low-end. TH-X00 PH has a good amount of bass but I found that Pro 82 has a cleaner and pleasing bass. The soundstage on TH-X00 PH goes wider and taller that provides more breathing space between you and the singer. To my surprise, despite the better soundstage, Pro 82 has a better imaging. The engaging mids with amazing clarity on Pro 82 makes TH-X00 slightly recessed and distant. I remember that the top end is fatiguing on Fostex headphone but less so with my system. With the smoother treble, I really enjoy TH-X00 PH and decided to listen to them for another 30 minutes before I put the Pro 82 back on. Then, I played the same playlist again but through Pro 82 this time. I realized that I missed the meaty and lush sound with TH-X00. TH-X00 PH has thinner sound but better upper midrange. It has more micro detail in the treble, albeit fatiguing in long hours of listening. The Pro 82 is more forward sounding and has a pleasing treble extension. I enjoy both headphones but no doubt that I enjoy the Pro 82 more than TH-X00 PH in most songs. Do they have the same sound signature? I would say no because Pro 82 is forward sounding with a slight U-shape sound while TH-X00 PH has a larger soundstage with V-shape sound. Pro 82 wins in both isolation and comfort but only by a small margin. Is the TH-X00 a worthy upgrade from Pro 82? If you’re looking for a better low-end and soundstage while sacrificing the clarity and mids, I would say yes. Otherwise, I would say no.''

I'm very far from a basshead and I believe there's unit variations (or possible a bad batch) of the Pro82. Maybe also some people see the total lack of bass and drive in them as being neutral (which is obviously wrong as even neutral cans reproduce bass) or some people are hyping them for reasons i don't even want to think about (I hope this is not the case).

I've got a pretty large collection of headphones and IEM's and I tend to find something good in pretty much all of them from the $5 VE Monk to the much more expensive HD800S. I've also got, and still enjoy a lot, the Pro80 but the Pro82 I've got is just a very poor performing headphone. I've recently picked up a open box HD569 for $85 (not exactly known as basshead cans) and found them to be a lot better value than the Pro82 for someone looking for a closed can with a rather balanced presentation (the HM5 is another good option imo).

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #3,375 of 7,153
I'm very far from a basshead and I believe there's unit variations (or possible a bad batch) of the Pro82. Maybe also some people see the total lack of bass and drive in them as being neutral (which is obviously wrong as even neutral cans reproduce bass) or some people are hyping them for reasons i don't even want to think about (I hope this is not the case).

I've got a pretty large collection of headphones and IEM's and I tend to find something good in pretty much all of them from the $5 VE Monk to the much more expensive HD800S. I've also got, and still enjoy a lot, the Pro80 but the Pro82 I've got is just a very poor performing headphone. I've recently picked up a open box HD569 for $85 (not exactly known as basshead cans) and found them to be a lot better value than the Pro82 for someone looking for a closed can with a rather balanced presentation (the HM5 is another good option imo).

Only way to know the truth about bass or QC is being able to compare both pair. I don't know if fake Takstar exist too....what I know its that I pay mine 60$ and that they have more bass than Audio Technica M50 as well as all Superlux I own. First I prefer the ISK HF-2010 over them but now its different, mids are better with PRO82, only thing where 2010 beat them is in soundstage (open back).

And for selled ass hyping, i'm the witchs hunters of those....don't think any of the reviews I read are one of them (have a black list of some savvy reviewers or hypers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back