Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Mar 7, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #3,076 of 7,153
Here you guys go! :D

https://www.amazon.com/PAw-Patrol-Kid-Friendly-Headphones/dp/B01N76T26J

These are what every 3 year old should have :) What my wife got my son. I will say it is strange that they are labeled as reduced volume and the people that ding them in reviews do so because the volume is "low" when they listen to them. Well DUH!!! That being said, you can certainly give them more power and they don't sound that bad at all when you do strangely enough. These were like $10 from Walmart during Xmas time frame though.
9e4bb870-30ea-4c6e-b3cb-8ee6ccbb5a2c_1.b30e3dd96a74fd1fce8f105313786868.jpeg
I think I might go with these. Can't ever have too many ears :D

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3,077 of 7,153
Thanks, I'll put a1pro on the list :) I have owned M1 and did not think much of it. Kind of hit and miss with Philips headphones. I like uptowns though those are not quite up to my standards but still very good for the price.

Currently I'm using Kef m500 as My portables. Kef's have exceeded all my expections. I sold momentum 2.0 and b&w P7 and propably m&d mh40 will get sold too. Would have not expected on ear can beat over ears that cost twice as much. :)

Just got these in after the $100 sale. Absolutely loving em for the price, and they kill any portable HP I had.

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #3,078 of 7,153
Thanks, I'll put a1pro on the list :) I have owned M1 and did not think much of it. Kind of hit and miss with Philips headphones. I like uptowns though those are not quite up to my standards but still very good for the price.

Currently I'm using Kef m500 as My portables. Kef's have exceeded all my expections. I sold momentum 2.0 and b&w P7 and propably m&d mh40 will get sold too. Would have not expected on ear can beat over ears that cost twice as much. :)

Wow, considering ditching the m&d mh40? The M500 really that much better?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #3,079 of 7,153
Wow, considering ditching the m&d mh40? The M500 really that much better?

the KEF500 is great. Sometimes I wish I did not have so many choices. Some really good ones are too neglected.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #3,081 of 7,153
the KEF500 is great. Sometimes I wish I did not have so many choices. Some really good ones are too neglected.

You're not really an on-ear fan, right? Is the M500 one of those rare comfortable on-ears?

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #3,082 of 7,153
You're not really an on-ear fan, right? Is the M500 one of those rare comfortable on-ears?

I am not and yes it is. If you look at pictures of the pads you will see that they rest flat against the ear. I do worry that the leather could deteriorate because of contact with the skin. Not too much clamp for me but I cannot remember if I had to stretch them. I hate clamp...which is why I am loving my new Koss KSC75 that arrived Monday. Just over a week ago I did not know that such things existed and I probably would never have considered them without the encouragement (more like insistence) of some of the guys in the earbud thread

As for the KEF, I got them from Amazon and would have returned them had they been uncomfortable.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #3,083 of 7,153
I bought my Kef m500 used so I don't know if it has original clamping force. Mine has low to medium grip. Good enough for walking and those don't fall of when doing basic home chores(Emptying a dishwasher etc). Many on ears have round earpads but earpads on kef are More of a roundedged rectangles, closer to oval than a circle. Being shaped like an ear gives more even pressure for the earlobe.

Earpads look really thick but actual thickness of the cushion is smaller. Area covered in leather is not all foam. Padding is good enough but don't expect those to Be like pillows that they Look like.

IMG_20180309_140944.jpg IMG_20180309_140955.jpg

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #3,084 of 7,153
This talk about kef m500's inspired me to write this ramble that has been long coming. I don't know where to post this but I think this is as good place as any. Many people new to headphone world come to this thread to seek for advice. That is understandable because chinese headphones often offer better value for money than other stuff.

With using kef as an example I try to explain why one should be very causious about other peoples opinions. I'll leave out obvious things like liking a certain soundsignature, what music one likes, how we all hear differently and other stuff like that.

1. Buying bias.

I bought B&w P7, M&D mh40, momentum 2.0, beats solo 2 and kef m500 to find my perfect portable headphones. Sennheiser got kicked out of the competition early because those were just not good enough by any standards. Beats, well... I kind of liked those. But I accidently broke those. Hideous build quality. I have owned about 150 headphones and those were first to self demolate on my hands. Hideous build quality. Not a big deal though, because those would have been ruled out by sound quality too but just wanted to say beats solo 2 are quite good sounding headphones.

Anyway, that leaves me with p7 and mh40 and kef m500. I honestly think thank m500 is the best headphone of those three. BUT i have a bias. I'm not made of money. Maybe I like m500 better because I wan't to sell mh40 and p7 because that would be the most affordable option? I got kids to feed...

It is a known fact that people tend to rank high headphones they have bought. Nobody want's to admit they've made a bad choice. I'ts just logical for human nature. That partially explains growing to like headphones and burn in. I won't comment on burn in any further but it sometimes has this aspect. This logically brings us to second bias.

2. Audition Bias

Before my quest for best portable headphones I auditioned oppo p3, focal pro and nad viso hp50. Short impressions I liked focal and hp50 but not p3. P3 was over twice as expensive. Later I have wondered did I dislike oppo for it's performance or for it's price. I't is common knowledge that it goes other way around too. Slap a $2000 price on a heapdhone and people think it is definately better than something that costs $300. Interesting thing is that I also auditioned He400i. Those cost about $499 back then. I did not like them much. Later I bought those for about $200 and completely fell in love with hifimans. I think those would have been a decent value even at $499. Now I think like that...now that I have not invested $500 for those.

3. Thread starter, discover new headphones, new toy syndrome bias

This is an important one. New toy syndrome is self explatanory. You get new headphones like them and rave about them being the best things since sliced bread. I't has happened to most of us :) Things get more difficult if you have discovered a new heapdhone not known for public and even make a thread about those. This is where things get most weird. You hear people saying that $30 on ears sound as good as stax 009 etc.

They never do. I't is just a person who for some reason takes the headphones he/she discovered so personally and seriously that he/she starts to make absurd statement. Of course how we hear is subjective and I have no doubt one could actually hear cheap headphone X to be better than a $1000 headphones.

But seriously. I doubt there is a headphone manufacturer in a world that has so "bad" quality control that it would go unnoticed if they had accidently built a $30 headphone that sounds like $1000 headphones. And if they indeed built that they would instantly raise the price or sell the design to sennheiser, beyerdynamic etc. I'm not saying there aren't some awesome bang for the buck headphones around. Sure there are. But often if the head-fi review seems too good it propably is. And if you buy the headphones and like them that much too---> check buying bias :)

4. Gear bias

Well... like said I love kef m500. Compared to kef P7 has recessed mids, mh40's sound veiled and mikros90 too bright with small soundstage. Momentums just sounded dull in general. Does that make $200 kef a bargain because it (imo) is better than $399 p7 and mh40's? Well...kind of, and then not.

Most of my listening is done just by plugging headphones on my oneplus 3 phone. Kef is awesome with my phone but if I compare it to my fullsize headphones when amped...well, not so great. My modded msur m550's are a better headphone than m500's. But it takes amping. Moving on to jvc dx-1000 and kef sounds like shallow one dimensional headphone. It is not that of course, atleast not for it's price. But compared to a $1000 dx1000 with $2500 amp dac system it is just that.

Gear bias. That is extremely important to know where one comes from. I personally deem ones impressions wortheless if the person in question does not have experience of headphones of particular price range.

5. Other biases

Preferred soundsignatures, preferred music etc

EDIT: I left out expection bias as it involves most biases mentioned. Also I'm sorry about my language. I'm not a native engilsh speaker. Also I'm quite drunk, so that should why I post this thing in the first place. :p

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,086 of 7,153
This talk about kef m500's inspired me to write this ramble that has been long coming. I don't know where to post this but I think this is as good place as any. Many people new to headphone world come to this thread to seek for advice. That is understandable because chinese headphones often offer better value for money than other stuff.

With using kef as an example I try to explain why one should be very causious about other peoples opinions. I'll leave out obvious things like liking a certain soundsignature, what music one likes, how we all hear differently and other stuff like that.

1. Buying bias.

I bought B&w P7, M&D mh40, momentum 2.0, beats solo 2 and kef m500 to find my perfect portable headphones. Sennheiser got kicked out of the competition early because those were just not good enough by any standards. Beats, well... I kind of liked those. But I accidently broke those. Hideous build quality. I have owned about 150 headphones and those were first to self demolate on my hands. Hideous build quality. Not a big deal though, because those would have been ruled out by sound quality too but just wanted to say beats solo 2 are quite good sounding headphones.

Anyway, that leaves me with p7 and mh40 and kef m500. I honestly think thank m500 is the best headphone of those three. BUT i have a bias. I'm not made of money. Maybe I like m500 better because I wan't to sell mh40 and p7 because that would be the most affordable option? I got kids to feed...

It is a known fact that people tend to rank high headphones they have bought. Nobody want's to admit they've made a bad choice. I'ts just logical for human nature. That partially explains growing to like headphones and burn in. I won't comment on burn in any further but it sometimes has this aspect. This logically brings us to second bias.

2. Audition Bias

Before my quest for best portable headphones I auditioned oppo p3, focal pro and nad viso hp50. Short impressions I liked focal and hp50 but not p3. P3 was over twice as expensive. Later I have wondered did I dislike oppo for it's performance or for it's price. I't is common knowledge that it goes other way around too. Slap a $2000 price on a heapdhone and people think it is definately better than something that costs $300. Interesting thing is that I also auditioned He400i. Those cost about $499 back then. I did not like them much. Later I bought those for about $200 and completely fell in love with hifimans. I think those would have been a decent value even at $499. Now I think like that...now that I have not invested $500 for those.

3. Thread starter, discover new headphones, new toy syndrome bias

This is an important one. New toy syndrome is self explatanory. You get new headphones like them and rave about them being the best things since sliced bread. I't has happened to most of us :) Things get more difficult if you have discovered a new heapdhone not known for public and even make a thread about those. This is where things get most weird. You hear people saying that $30 on ears sound as good as stax 009 etc.

They never do. I't is just a person who for some reason takes the headphones he/she discovered so personally and seriously that he/she starts to make absurd statement. Of course how we hear is subjective and I have no doubt one could actually hear cheap headphone X to be better than a $1000 headphones.

But seriously. I doubt there is a headphone manufacturer in a world that has so "bad" quality control that it would go unnoticed if they had accidently built a $30 headphone that sounds like $1000 headphones. And if they indeed built that they would instantly raise the price or sell the design to sennheiser, beyerdynamic etc. I'm not saying there aren't some awesome bang for the buck headphones around. Sure there are. But often if the head-fi review seems too good it propably is. And if you buy the headphones and like them that much too---> check buying bias :)

4. Gear bias

Well... like said I love kef m500. Compared to kef P7 has recessed mids, mh40's sound veiled and mikros90 too bright with small soundstage. Momentums just sounded dull in general. Does that make $200 kef a bargain because it (imo) is better than $399 p7 and mh40's? Well...kind of, and then not.

Most of my listening is done just by plugging headphones on my oneplus 3 phone. Kef is awesome with my phone but if I compare it to my fullsize headphones when amped...well, not so great. My modded msur m550's are a better headphone than m500's. But it takes amping. Moving on to jvc dx-1000 and kef sounds like shallow one dimensional headphone. It is not that of course, atleast not for it's price. But compared to a $1000 dx1000 with $2500 amp dac system it is just that.

Gear bias. That is extremely important to know where one comes from. I personally deem ones impressions wortheless if the person in question does not have experience of headphones of particular price range.

5. Other biases

Preferred soundsignatures, preferred music etc

EDIT: I left out ecpection bias because it involves most biases mentioned. Also I'm sorry about my language. I'm not a native engilsh speaker. Also I'm quite drunk, so that should why I post this thing in the first place. :p

Many great points here. I partially differ with point #3 that a bargain headphone cannot possibly sound as good as an expensive name brand.

Chi-Fi manufacturers have made what I feel are exponential rather than incremental advances in producing great sounding earphones and headphones. Generally I'll concede the point that they don't sound as good, but never is a word I would (never) use :wink::laughing:

Or maybe it's just my biases talking...

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #3,087 of 7,153
I would not be surprised If there is a $50 headphone that can compete with many $500 headphones. I think that modded Msur m550's are as good or better than t5p that retailed for $1499.

However t5p's are now known to Be pretty Bad headphones (for msrp) and a just s shadow of open Back t1.

Could Msur compete with good, or even average $1500 headphones? Definately not.

Price does not equal performance. I should have Been more clear with My point. I't does not take much to sound better than ultrasone edition 10 (i have not heard those but generally those are considered Bad at any Price and cost $2000+). Make a $50 headphone that sound better than headphones that are considered good for their price..that is where it get's tricky.

I've had inexpensive headphones outperform likes of dt770 and m50 which are pretty much the standard for good at $100-150. But that is pretty much it.

Some that are allmost as good as hd600 and he400i etc

If there is a affordable headphone good as say t1, gs1000, th900, hd800... I would gladly hear about those. Point is that If someone claims affordable headphone x is allmost on par with hd800. Well, has to be some bias because things like that just don't happen in real world. Unfortunately...

Mar 10, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #3,089 of 7,153
I thought those were grainy and thin sounding headphones. I felt that t1 was clearly better and not just because open vs closed thing. However at current used price t5p($300-350) is not bad. Original $1399 price was just so high that I would expect a cleaner sound for a $1000+ headphone. Maybe I had synergy issues who knows... but prices on t5p started to drop a lot long before the 2gen version was released so it wasn't that well received. Good thing for those who like it. I't is a gorgeous looking headphone. Even me and My Bad camera could not ruin it's classy looks :)beyer1.JPGbeyer2.JPG

Mar 10, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #3,090 of 7,153
Well those freebosses came in. The HF2010 (aka 53mm driver takstar pro 80 clone) and the Freeboss FB 888. The hf2010 is the better of the two. The FB 888 is slightly veiled and has almost no sound stage or imaging. Everything sounds almost dead center in your head. I switch to some headphones that have sound stage and the difference is dramatic. It almost feels like the FB 888 are in mono, but they aren't. Other than that, the FB 888 are okay for the price, but wouldn't really recommend them to anyone. The HF2010 are much nicer, decent comfort, but I really dislike attached cables which it has along with the marantz mph4 (aka the hp2010 50mm driver clone and cousin to the 2011). I mean the FB 888 isn't a bad headphone, it just that there are better ones out there for the money. The comfort is good, build quality seems nice, has a detachable cable, and sounds decent enough.

Not much to add about the HF2010 than what has been said about the takstar pro 80. Pretty much a clone of the DT 880 and sounds fairly close to that as well when I compare them to my DT 880. Haven't done a whole lot of A/B comparison between the two, but they are good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back