Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #3,046 of 7,153
Sorry--never heard any Superlux HPs.

But I would just add something that people unfamiliar w/the MPH-2 (inexpensive Chinese-made closed back design) might not anticipate: the soundstaging on these headphones is surprising. It's very good. Closed headphones tend to lack that last measure of soundstage relaxation, but some create space around the listener's head better than others. The MPH-2 (and the sonically identical LyxPro HAS-30, which I gave to a friend) are in the "better soundstaging" group.

ok i just had a DSD critical listening using Audio-gd r2r 11 and SABAJ DA3 and the vocals are recessed and lifeless in the MPH-2 compared to Hifiman HE400i, monolith 1060, and Audeze LCD-3 which is not a problem at all considering the price. but it is to the extent that i do not like to listen to my folk or acoustic/vocal music on them. they are definitely not lush sounding in the mid range. the bass bleeds into midrange and overpowers the vocals to the extent that i had to eq heavily and still didnt like the results. for RDM, hiphop and the like (crap music in general :D) they are very good. for my bob dylan, leonard cohen, even classic progressive rock like pink floyd and camel they just dont sound right. vocals just dont sound right.

for example "straight to my heart" by camel on Audio-gd R2R 11 + hifiman HE400 sounds so intimate and 3D but through MPH-2 sounds lifless and boring mainly because it doesnt get the vocals right.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #3,047 of 7,153
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #3,048 of 7,153
ok i just had a DSD critical listening using Audio-gd r2r 11 and SABAJ DA3 and the vocals are recessed and lifeless in the MPH-2 compared to Hifiman HE400i, monolith 1060, and Audeze LCD-3 which is not a problem at all considering the price. but it is to the extent that i do not like to listen to my folk or acoustic/vocal music on them. they are definitely not lush sounding in the mid range. the bass bleeds into midrange and overpowers the vocals to the extent that i had to eq heavily and still didnt like the results. for RDM, hiphop and the like (**** music in general :D) they are very good. for my bob dylan, leonard cohen, even classic progressive rock like pink floyd and camel they just dont sound right. vocals just dont sound right.

for example "straight to my heart" by camel on Audio-gd R2R 11 + hifiman HE400 sounds so intimate and 3D but through MPH-2 sounds lifless and boring mainly because it doesnt get the vocals right.

Hmmm, $400 planar headphone vs $25 dynamic (for the Akai Project 50X version of the identical headphone). Gee, I can't possibly imagine why the HE400 would sound better (*sarcasm*).

1 star reviews are through the roof

All of the 1-star reviews are because they broke at the hinge, not regarding sound quality.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #3,051 of 7,153
does the broken hinfge happen to marantz mph-2 as well? it probably does seeing that they are the same!

Yes, it affects all of the clones.

I have also determined what is causing them to break as well. It is because when "folding" the headphones, people are continuing to "fold" it after it stops (ie beyond the limit). Therefore it puts pressure on the hinge and snaps it (like a fulcrum and lever).

The headphones don't "fold" down all the way such that the cups go all the way until they touch the headband. They go about 80% of the way and stop. But since so many folding headphones DO fold all the way down until the cups touch the headband, people are trying this with these headphones and snapping them. Or else they are folding them and then tossing them in a backpack and gym bag, and the breakage is happening while the headphones are being jostled around inside of the backpack/gym bag (ie while the bag is jammed inside of lockers, under bus/train seats, dropped onto the floor, etc).

I did determine an easy way to reinforce the hinges though, and make them almost idiot-proof.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #3,052 of 7,153
Yes, it affects all of the clones.

I have also determined what is causing them to break as well. It is because when "folding" the headphones, people are continuing to "fold" it after it stops (ie beyond the limit). Therefore it puts pressure on the hinge and snaps it (like a fulcrum and lever).

The headphones don't "fold" down all the way such that the cups go all the way until they touch the headband. They go about 80% of the way and stop. But since so many folding headphones DO fold all the way down until the cups touch the headband, people are trying this with these headphones and snapping them. Or else they are folding them and then tossing them in a backpack and gym bag, and the breakage is happening while the headphones are being jostled around inside of the backpack/gym bag (ie while the bag is jammed inside of lockers, under bus/train seats, dropped onto the floor, etc).

I did determine an easy way to reinforce the hinges though, and make them almost idiot-proof.

"almost idiot-proof" is one of the best "let's quantify the impossible" phrases I ever encountered. Love it!

As a lifelong idiot, I know there's really no such thing as "idiot-proof" ... if there were, I would detonate like anti-matter even touching such a thing

Others:

near survival

partial nuclear winter

almost pregnant​

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #3,053 of 7,153
"almost idiot-proof" is one of the best "let's quantify the impossible" phrases I ever encountered. Love it!

As a lifelong idiot, I know there's really no such thing as "idiot-proof" ... if there were, I would detonate like anti-matter even touching such a thing

Others:

near survival

partial nuclear winter

almost pregnant

I saw a T Shirt with the following:

I am an Engineer
I try to make things Idiot Proof
But they keep making better idiots!

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #3,054 of 7,153

I am an Engineer

Good one!

There are many ways to approach the "engineer" and/or "idiot" thing...even harder to put them together. Examples:

engineers can built it better
but they can't help you
understand it better

you say "brain-dead idiot"
like it's a bad thing

in the Empire of Morons
you are king

please explain it in great detail
so I can misunderstand it better​

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #3,055 of 7,153
Hmmm, $400 planar headphone vs $25 dynamic (for the Akai Project 50X version of the identical headphone). Gee, I can't possibly imagine why the HE400 would sound better (*sarcasm*).

All of the 1-star reviews are because they broke at the hinge, not regarding sound quality.

I detect a hint of sarcasm in your reply :D

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #3,056 of 7,153

I am an Engineer

I used to have a sign hanging up at my desk that read "you can't fix stupid".

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #3,058 of 7,153
Well i just picked up the Marantz MPH-4 as there was a sell of them for $40 from Muscians Friend last week. Came in today. Supposedly another rebadge of the takstar pro 80. The stock pads were junk. Didn't like HM5's or the various Seniteks I put on either. Made the sound too distant. Found that these like shallow pads like the Koss DJ Pro 200s I have. So I put on some shallow pads that were still comfortable. Wow, they are good then! Little bit of bass roll off (very slight at the lowest end), a little bit mid forward with a lot of energy from 1K-2K it seems like. To some this may make them pretty shouty through the vocal region. Other than that very nice sounding.

EDIT, looked at innerfidelty and they pretty much sound what I see for the response chart for the takstar pro 80 listed there. I feel there is tiny more treble energy at 3K-6K region than what is shown there, but not a whole lot more. Maybe the pads are making up the difference?

Double EDIT, these are based on the ISK2010, not the 2011 which are the takstar pros. So 50mm drivers instead of the 53mm. Still sound good.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #3,059 of 7,153
OK, here's an anecdote about the "other" Marantz (MPH-2): 3-4 days ago I received my 1st headphone tube amp, the Woo Audio WA3 (have been jonesing for that one for years). So I have it set up to burn-in for ~8 hrs/day, and I plugged the MPH-2s in just because I've heard it's better/safer to burn in amps under load than not.

Now, the MPH-2s are kind of a worst-case headphone for an OTL tube amp:
  • Low impedance
  • High efficiency
  • Dynamic driver with warm-ish, bassy sound
  • ...when everyone warns that headphones like this will have exaggerated bass on an OTL tube amp.
...and they really do. The bass is so far north of neutral, it's kind of foolish.

And yet...it's easy to hear (beyond the mid- to low-bass) those special tube qualities shining through: that 3D, dimensional sound (somehow more real than even great SS amps can do); and very spacious, enveloping soundstage. It's easy to hear those things because the humble MPH-2s can scale up when called upon. Their soundstaging in particular is excellent for a closed-back design.

Yet another "I can't believe what this headphone can do" moment w/the MPH-2s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back