Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Oct 17, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #2,191 of 7,153
Was looking around and couldn't dig up much usable information so wondering if anyone has found / used any budget planar magnetic headphones (outside of Monoprice) that are worthy of mention and still considered "budget" ? ( possibly in the sub-US$200 range ? )

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #2,192 of 7,153
Hmmm...not what I was expecting to hear about the headphones.

If you have the time before deadline for return to Amazon, I suggest you burn them in. It's rough to make conclusions about the sound of "cold" headphones, in my experience (some designs benefit quite a bit from burn-in).

Then again, sometimes "first impressions" are the most accurate impressions of all...

I'm going to use them a bit more to see if they improve. From my experience all the other ones I had and have they just got better after burning but they didn't change how they sounded. With these the burning phases is a bit a pain because of the sticky, sweaty and not comfortable earpads

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #2,193 of 7,153
Was looking around and couldn't dig up much usable information so wondering if anyone has found / used any budget planar magnetic headphones (outside of Monoprice) that are worthy of mention and still considered "budget" ? ( possibly in the sub-US$200 range ? )

Thanks.

Fostex T50RP-Mk3

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #2,194 of 7,153
those shl3300, do they last long? I really wanted to try those but I'm concerned with the build quality.

I have numerous different Philips headphones, and have always been impressed with their build quality.

The shl3300 are plastic, but built well. I used them daily for almost a year, and had no issues.

If I had to complain about something, it would be that the protein leather on the headband is a little thin. Not thin as in too little padding, but thin as in the material itself is physically thin. If it’s subject to too much abrasion for too long, rough handling and/or abuse, or exposure to adhesives such as tape, it will flake the very outer coating of the leather off.

Hard to explain, and it’s really nitpicking. The point is that the shl3300 does so much right, you really have to dig deep to find something that it does wrong.

The cable is not removable, but it can be easily modded to make the cable removable.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #2,195 of 7,153
The market for worthy chi-fi below $50 closed its tricky after my knowledge: check out the Superlux 662evo, ISKs hp2011 and MDH9000. Also check what Takstar (own site) has at this price range but right now can't remember anything worth mentioning.
These are the stars I know meeting your criteria, others might contribute here.

If you decide to go for (semi)open as well there are quite a few additional praised cans in this bracket: superlux hd668b and 681evo, isk hf2010 and Samson sr850 might worth a look.
You might want to read the showcases for each and also various impressions in different threads, they have quite different signature, features, ergonomics etc.

Edit: OneOdio DJ/ex. Yenona DJ worth mentioning in the closed section.

ISKs seem like rebranded Takstar. If they are, they are going to be first on my list. I've been eyeing Superlux, but somehow I missed 662 Evo. I'm definitely going to check them out. I've also seen OneOdio, but they look uncomfortable with circular pads.

I almost bought 668b, however I read somewhere that changing pads to velour makes them sound bad. Also, I'm worried about sound leaking too much when it comes to semi-open cans. Regarding Samsons, I know I crossed them off the list, but honestly I don't remember why exactly. I think there were some problems with build quality.

I like ISKs the most for now.

While not Chinese, Philips SHL3300 at $15-$20 smoke anything else at $50 and under. I own 3 pair - modded in various ways.

They are on-ear if I got that right. I can't use anything that puts pressure on my ears, because it hurts. For instance, I can't wear my Razer Megalodons (uh, not one of my proudest possessions) for long. Anything circular makes my ears hurt, unfortunately.

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #2,197 of 7,153

Thanks.

As stated by another member, the Fostex are about $150 or up budget to $250 and grab the HE-400i, I love mine and prefer them over the M560 which I once owned

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #2,198 of 7,153
As stated by another member, the Fostex are about $150 or up budget to $250 and grab the HE-400i, I love mine and prefer them over the M560 which I once owned

^^This!

As soon as you start to get close to $200 the HE400i is my go to recommendation for planars.

Oct 17, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #2,199 of 7,153
They are on-ear if I got that right. I can't use anything that puts pressure on my ears, because it hurts. For instance, I can't wear my Razer Megalodons (uh, not one of my proudest possessions) for long. Anything circular makes my ears hurt, unfortunately.

They are full size headphones, but the pads are technically supra-aural.

The good news is that you can change out the pads. For example, I swapped my stock pads for Brainwavz HM5 pads because I don't really like the stock pads.

I can post OD/ID measurements of the stock pad if it would be helpful. I'm pretty sure the stock pads are 95mm or 100mm OD if I remember correctly.

BTW, here's the SHL3300 thread if you want to read more impressions, photos, mods, etc: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rev...-headphones-most-underrated-headphone.697813/

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,200 of 7,153

That's just right , the problem that here in italy the HE-400I cost over 400 euros, But I got them (thanks to amazon for 320 euros..) and they are simply fantastic, if you can find them for 250 USD don't think about it twice.. just buy them!

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,201 of 7,153
I've noticed that some headphones I've seen before on Aliexpress have showed up via sellers on Amazon, many with Prime shipping. I haven't however seen any good reviews of these headphones, and I'm really curious if anyone has tried them out. In no particular order:

OKSC M1 $49.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015FNW8VA
61MCy43VNWL._SL1000_.jpg

InOpera 661S-WN Walnut $99 (plus 20% off coupon)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFPZ4MY/
InOpera 661S-BG Rosewood $99 (plus 20% off coupon)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFNP9R6/
51dM6RArdXL.jpg

Langsdom VA800 Ebony $71.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0172WN40G/
41vYx9juTNL.jpg

Granvela Studio Monitor $31.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FQNYS9/
61oONgk76aL._SL1200_.jpg

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #2,202 of 7,153
Just got my set of Akai Pro Project 50x (along with replacement pads) and tested them against the Sivga SV007's I've had burning in overnight. Used John Williams' Empire Strikes Back score to test, and they both sound REALLY good. The Sivga definitely opened up after 15+ hours of burn-in, and the Akai's sounded great right off the bat. The SV007s definitely feel a bit more open & airy, but the Akai's are no slouch and will do great when I take them outdoors.

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #2,203 of 7,153
Just got my set of Akai Pro Project 50x (along with replacement pads) and tested them against the Sivga SV007's I've had burning in overnight. Used John Williams' Empire Strikes Back score to test, and they both sound REALLY good. The Sivga definitely opened up after 15+ hours of burn-in, and the Akai's sounded great right off the bat. The SV007s definitely feel a bit more open & airy, but the Akai's are no slouch and will do great when I take them outdoors.

About my Sivga I did notice the opening but still the mids are so weak as the highs too, I'm really considering to send them back, I value them 10USD worth

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,204 of 7,153
Just to update my situation.
Got the headphones!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OKC...-Ear-Headphones-DIY-that-can/32814142138.html
Came broken (bass is messed up to put it lightly)...
still want to pay so I can clear my mind out of this (Bad stuff happens to put it lightly).
but ended up reading newer reviews in the product page and found a review with the exact same problem as my unit.
Man...
They sell this thing with 0 quality control.
I almost want to let it go, but i think I'll still pay (cause i'm stupid)
I'm starting a crusade against this product though...
It's heart breaking:weary:, if it wasn't for the f... messed up distorted bass and the terribly low volume(high impedance maybe?) they would be among my best.

This was a gamble so ill move on.
I got superlux 668b,
yenona studio pros
and some earbuds (headroom ms16)
on the way
let's hope for some better days

@nraymond ...this was just posted a few days ago

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,205 of 7,153
About my Sivga I did notice the opening but still the mids are so weak as the highs too, I'm really considering to send them back, I value them 10USD worth

I'm willing to bet you got a defective pair. Try returning them, because mine sound fine. They were a LITTLE weak last night, but they opened up a lot and sound a bit like my Sennheiser HD25-1s now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back