Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Mar 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #767 of 7,153

my concern about the yenona is if they are towards the bass overall as the maratz , or towards the treble and if you experience a V shape sound for the mids.

how close are to the maratz sound wise?

and wish you good health of course :)

Well, I really like both headphones, but they do sound somewhat different. The Yenona's are somewhat more "U-shaped" -- midrange doesn't sound extremely recessed to me, but the bass & treble are somwhat elevated. This sound pleased me greatly when I first heard it. The Yenona's are not about accuracy and level sound throughout the frequency range: they're clearly more "fun" (and I had so much fun listening to them). The bass was the best part--quantity & quality really did it for me.

Then I got ISK MDH9000 rebrands, and heard a somewhat different "take" on closed back sound: these sound more level to me, with a midrange that seems equal to the bass & treble; a treble that is not hyped or elevated at all; and a bass that may be a little elevated on FR charts, but sounds so good to me. I've said before on this thread that I could see the ISK MDH9000 rebrands being used for studio monitoring (they're wonderful to listen to, but I don't hear them "editorizing" very much w/the sound).

These 2 designs have many similarities (good comfort, relatively light, strong bass). But they do sound somewhat different. I'm very happy to have both.

But if I could afford just one of these headphones, I'd probably get the Marantz MPH-2's (my pick of the ISK MDH9000 rebrands). It's a terrific all-rounder...

(thanks for the wish of good health!)

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #768 of 7,153

Well, I really like both headphones, but they do sound somewhat different. The Yenona's are somewhat more "U-shaped" -- midrange doesn't sound extremely recessed to me, but the bass & treble are somwhat elevated. This sound pleased me greatly when I first heard it. The Yenona's are not about accuracy and level sound throughout the frequency range: they're clearly more "fun" (and I had so much fun listening to them). The bass was the best part--quantity & quality really did it for me.

Then I got ISK MDH9000 rebrands, and heard a somewhat different "take" on closed back sound: these sound more level to me, with a midrange that seems equal to the bass & treble; a treble that is not hyped or elevated at all; and a bass that may be a little elevated on FR charts, but sounds so good to me. I've said before on this thread that I could see the ISK MDH9000 rebrands being used for studio monitoring (they're wonderful to listen to, but I don't hear them "editorizing" very much w/the sound).

These 2 designs have many similarities (good comfort, relatively light, strong bass). But they do sound somewhat different. I'm very happy to have both.

But if I could afford just one of these headphones, I'd probably get the Marantz MPH-2's (my pick of the ISK MDH9000 rebrands). It's a terrific all-rounder...

(thanks for the wish of good health!)

If the YENONA have a U shape is close to a V. I would say maybe its worse than a V because more mid frequency is at the bottom.

The maratz also do a very little U if you check the FR. But from your take the YENONA have U capital letter in contrast to the maratz with a u small letter .

The only issue i have with the maratz is where the hell will i find a replaceable cable if something happens ? !

and the straight cable sounds better than the coiled one, as a read on reviews due to lower overall impedance.

Can you tell me, from a source such as a smartphone which one is easier to drive? I saw that the maratz have SPL close to 110db !

and the yenona say close to 120 SPL !!!

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #769 of 7,153
hey guys

i think this is better than the MDH9000

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ISK-MDH8500-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones-Fully-Enclosed-Dynamic-Stereo-Earphone-Headset-Studio-Headphone-Noise-Canceling/32784627886.html

look at the FR same as the ISK MDH9000

but without proprietary cables !!!

and also removable straight cables not coiled ones!

the only issue is where the hell will you find another pair of earpads ? if you put black ones you will have ruined the colour scheme!

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #770 of 7,153
Just ordered the isk hp2011's, was thinking either them or the mdh9000's. Saw a user do a comparison between the two of them and he said that the hp2011's were a bit more detailed and neutral, although mdh9000's are pretty close to them with a slightly deeper and boomier bass. They also apparently have great sound stage for closed cans. Plus the hp2011's were cheaper as well. Gonna compare them to the Somics and I'm hoping they're good.

The only minor issue I've had with my Pro 80s is that they developed a creaking sound where the frame is inserted into the earcups, probably because it's plastic, and these use the same shell.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #771 of 7,153
  hey guys

i think this is better than the MDH9000

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ISK-MDH8500-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones-Fully-Enclosed-Dynamic-Stereo-Earphone-Headset-Studio-Headphone-Noise-Canceling/32784627886.html

look at the FR same as the ISK MDH9000

but without proprietary cables !!!

and also removable straight cables not coiled ones!

the only issue is where the hell will you find another pair of earpads ? if you put black ones you will have ruined the colour scheme!

They look pretty cool - very similar styling to the Takstar Pro 80.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #773 of 7,153
  Just ordered the isk hp2011's, was thinking either them or the mdh9000's. Saw a user do a comparison between the two of them and he said that the hp2011's were a bit more detailed and neutral, although mdh9000's are pretty close to them with a slightly deeper and boomier bass. They also apparently have great sound stage for closed cans. Plus the hp2011's were cheaper as well. Gonna compare them to the Somics and I'm hoping they're good.

The only minor issue I've had with my Pro 80s is that they developed a creaking sound where the frame is inserted into the earcups, probably because it's plastic, and these use the same shell.

please share your thoughts when you get them and have them tested
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #775 of 7,153
The only issue i have with the maratz is where the hell will i find a replaceable cable if something happens ? !  
and the straight cable sounds better than the coiled one, as a read on reviews due to lower overall impedance.

Can you tell me, from a source such as a smartphone which one is easier to drive? I saw that the maratz have SPL close to 110db !

and the yenona say close to 120 SPL !!!

That proprietary cable connector looks exactly like the Audio Technica M40x / M50x type.
It could also be the Shure SRH or the Phillips Fidelio one.
You can simply go to a mall or wherever they sell music studio equipment and try an exhibition unit, request the vendor to show you the connectors of the products (Shure and Audiotechnica are a must-have on every music instrument studio store).

Regarding SPL, you're looking at the wrong spec. SPL refers to the maximum loudness a speaker can produce before damaging itself (note that anything above 95dB is actually damaging your ears for prolonged time). To the smartphone is more relevant to ask what's the Efficiency or Sensitivity and Impedance. 32 Ohm for the Yenona is the standard for today's products and 110db/mW is a lot (very sensitive), even a potato could drive that 110db/mW with 32Ohms. I own the Yenona riders and they work fine with my phone (it's an LG G2 though, I'm not sure but there's like a special dac/amp inside).

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #776 of 7,153

That proprietary cable connector looks exactly like the Audio Technica M40x / M50x type.
You can simply go to a mall or wherever they sell music studio equipment and try an exhibition unit, request the vendor to show you the connectors of the products (Shure and Audiotechnica are a must-have on every music instrument studio store).

Regarding SPL, you're looking at the wrong spec. SPL refers to the maximum loudness a speaker can produce before damaging itself (note that anything above 95dB is actually damaging your ears for prolonged time). To the smartphone is more relevant to ask what's the Efficiency or Sensitivity and Impedance. 32 Ohm for the Yenona is the standard for today's products and 110db/mW is a lot (very sensitive), even a potato could drive that 110db/mW with 32Ohms. I own the Yenona riders and they work fine with my phone (it's an LG G2 though, I'm not sure but there's like a special dac/amp inside).

Re the proprietary cables w/the Marantz MPH-2 (all the ISK MDH9000 clones have this "locking" design)--I've had 3 of these clones. When I got the first one (Marantz MPH-2), I looked at the cable--which looks "average," not very impressive in any way--I thought to myself, "Well, it's probably going to suck that I can't easily replace this w/one of my bigger, thicker, good-sounding aftermarket cables." Then I plugged it in and listened. And that was the last time I thought one little bit about the locking cable. Either the stock cable sounds pretty good; or the headphones are so good that the cable doesn't much matter; or both.

Now on my 3rd clone (a 2nd pair of Marantz', after giving away my 1st pair, then buying and giving away a LyxPro HAS-30), and it still couldn't matter less to me the cable is not easily switched. The headphones just sound so good that it's not worth fretting over cables.

The 3M length of the Marantz' cable is of course kind of excessive (this isn't a recording studio; I'm not a recording engineer). But it's very easily dealt with using a velcro cinch to capture ~1M of the 3M. Again, never gave it another thought.

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #778 of 7,153
Anyone here tried the ISK HP-980 (AKG K271 clone), I've read some positive review about this one. I'm going to get both the HP-580 (which feedback is mostly better than their Superlux counterpart) and HP-980.

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #779 of 7,153

thanks for the input concerning the cables. I will have a search on them.

Regarding SPL i think you got it wrong. Sensitivity and SPL are correlated

This "sensitivity rating" means that a speaker with a sensitivity rating of 90 dB SPL can create a sound pressure level ("SPL") of 90 decibels with 1 watt of power measured 1 meter from the speaker. In short hand, "90 dB SPL 1W/1M".

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7376667-post3.html

so the SPL that i referred to is for the sensitivity rating

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #780 of 7,153

Re the proprietary cables w/the Marantz MPH-2 (all the ISK MDH9000 clones have this "locking" design)--I've had 3 of these clones. When I got the first one (Marantz MPH-2), I looked at the cable--which looks "average," not very impressive in any way--I thought to myself, "Well, it's probably going to suck that I can't easily replace this w/one of my bigger, thicker, good-sounding aftermarket cables." Then I plugged it in and listened. And that was the last time I thought one little bit about the locking cable. Either the stock cable sounds pretty good; or the headphones are so good that the cable doesn't much matter; or both.

Now on my 3rd clone (a 2nd pair of Marantz', after giving away my 1st pair, then buying and giving away a LyxPro HAS-30), and it still couldn't matter less to me the cable is not easily switched. The headphones just sound so good that it's not worth fretting over cables.

The 3M length of the Marantz' cable is of course kind of excessive (this isn't a recording studio; I'm not a recording engineer). But it's very easily dealt with using a velcro cinch to capture ~1M of the 3M. Again, never gave it another thought.

the maratz cable is only the straight one. this is the one that produces the best sound.

the coiled one is worse as it increases the impedance. i am saying that for the other clones that include 2 cables instead of one and only the straight is required.

i talked about replecement not to have the included cable changed, but to have an alternative in case the default one breaks. otherwise the HPs will be rendered useless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back