Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Nov 15, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #6,421 of 7,153
It might be good. Sony mdr-ma900 with 70mm driver was like $300.

I know the feeling :) Solution is simple: MORE HEADPHONES! You need to build a collection of affordable headphones. Store them in sight so she sees a load of headphones regularly. Keep buying and selling the headphones, mix it up. Eventually she won't notice what is new and what has been there since forever. I did not do it intentionally but I realized I'm now in a position I can buy new headphones and nobody pays attention what happens around my desk anymore :D

Didn't know sony used that big of a driver in "cheap" headphones, there might be some hope, maybe these new headphones are some kind of sony ripoff if we are lucky. :)
From experience in this thread tho seems there that chi-fi headphones start to experience problems at 50mm and 57mm (okscs zx1) drivers.
From what I could read up on the sony's do they cover up much of the drivers to dampen the cone breakup at the edges of the membrane and therefore dampen the resonances in the high mids. Might try to mod my zx1 with some kind of resistive material at the edges.

Edit:
1605455600363.png

Found a deep dive on the sony's. From what I gathered are the "N" curve without the damping ring and the "E" curve is with.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/07/sony-mdr-ma900-in-depth-analysis.html

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #6,422 of 7,153
Yep. Sennheiser removed the center dome on hd800 because of that and it is "only" a 56mm driver. If blon did nothing to deal with the cone breakup results might be pretty wild. It is very interesting to see what they've come up with.

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #6,423 of 7,153

Thanks for the link. I had the wood cup version on Taobao in my cart for a month but never pulled the trigger. It's much cheaper on Amazon since I don't have to pay shipping. I wonder if there are any other differences besides the cups. The taobao listing mentioned these have 70mm drivers as well.
O1CN01MLqf6t1NQoTAant9N_!!352421565.jpg

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #6,424 of 7,153
A 70mm driver??? Either it must use some very exotic materials (sony z7 has 70mm but costs like 2k) or it must sound awful.
It might also be planar

Nah, Bluedio had a 70mm driver a few years ago. Just a titanium plated driver like their typical 57mm one, only larger in diameter.

So it’s not like the fact that it’s 70mm makes it some unobtainium driver. As with everything, it will all boil down to how well it’s tuned

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #6,425 of 7,153
Haha! Colors and materials are important. I would propably get busted for trying to sneak in something like Focal Stellia or Audio Technica L5000. Luckily many headphones are black.

Just a bunch of black chi-fi headphones...

IMG_20201115_142655.jpg

So she would probably notice these?

6964EBA2-5AC2-4479-B815-F66A73F657FF.jpeg

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #6,426 of 7,153
Thanks for the link. I had the wood cup version on Taobao in my cart for a month but never pulled the trigger. It's much cheaper on Amazon since I don't have to pay shipping. I wonder if there are any other differences besides the cups. The taobao listing mentioned these have 70mm drivers as well.
O1CN01MLqf6t1NQoTAant9N_!!352421565.jpg

Here’s some too, listed as having a bio fiber driver. It has a Tesla style driver design too.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNdiLhL

Nov 15, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #6,427 of 7,153
Nah, Bluedio had a 70mm driver a few years ago. Just a titanium plated driver like their typical 57mm one, only larger in diameter.

So it’s not like the fact that it’s 70mm makes it some unobtainium driver. As with everything, it will all boil down to how well it’s tuned

The problem with humongous drivers is that the cone breakup frequency is roughly dependant on 1/r^2. If a 50mm unit breaks up at 2kHz will a otherwise similar 70mm variant break up at 1kHz, in other words at the centre of the midrange which can be disastrous for the timbre. Note that I said "can", if you tune a closed back headphone good you can avoid most of the issues. It should be noted that the main aspect of the 70mm bluedio vinyl plus is the bass, this is because the resonance frequency of a driver also is dependant on 1/r^2.
You can of course also tune a open back headphone to an extent deal with this issue but there is always a limit and there is a reason why most high end headphones stick to 40mm drivers.
However I don't know about this particular headphone. In theory you can avoid cone breakup at lower frequencies by using a very stiff coating on the driver, the aliexpress link above suggest that something like that may be the case.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #6,434 of 7,153
Looks like cyberdrive is back with another dual driver headphone on amazon. Has anyone tried the original that resembled the lasmex l90? I don't recall anyone rolling the dice on it.
https://www.amazon.com/Cyberdrive-McAudio-C2-Audiophile-Black/dp/B08DXMBJMM/ref=sr_1_212?dchild=1&keywords=hi+res+headphones&qid=1605798309&rnid=2941120011&s=aht&sr=1-212&th=1

81jQhF9TRML._AC_SL1500_.jpg81GjiIPpRNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have too much doubt about those to be the first to report back on them :sweat_smile: ... but I will say their "electrostatz" hybrid wireless cans are legit really good sounding, much better than their wired models (one of which I also bought for far cheaper), but they were a bit pricey (maybe $199 retail? can't recall, I picked them up on eBay for $65 in 2019), and they have a weird issue with the built-in amp which at first is not loud enough then suddenly gets really loud -- that only happens when resuming after a pause where they go to sleep or when first turning them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back