Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Sep 8, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #6,286 of 7,153
So I decided to make my own amp with the following components:

This power amp $10, one reason why I like it is due to the speakers out and the DC in being located at the same side.
1599621383431.png

2 of these resistors rated for 50W 4ohms $1.50 for both
1599621590996.png

And this USB C PD trigger $4
1599621663115.png

I'll make a banana plug male-to-3.5mm female adapters with the resistor, and the USB-to-DC PD converter using the trigger with the right male barrel plug soldered on, and put them in a single 3D printed box so that it'll look neater.

I can stack this box on top or bottom the power amp, and it'll be a nice portable amp stack alternative.

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #6,288 of 7,153
Anyone used Oneodio Studio Wireless headphones? I want to buy an over head Bluetooth headphone with good soundstage and imaging, this is a must for me. If not can you recommend me another one around its price range? I know it won't be like open back ones but maybe can keep up with sennheiser px100's? Best headphone I used was Px100 if it can give the same soundstage it will be enough. Can you compare them by sound quality as well? And last question is do they press against ears or take the ears inside? It looks like the hole is very small that they would press over the ears.

Sep 14, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #6,289 of 7,153
Anyone used Oneodio Studio Wireless headphones? I want to buy an over head Bluetooth headphone with good soundstage and imaging, this is a must for me. If not can you recommend me another one around its price range? I know it won't be like open back ones but maybe can keep up with sennheiser px100's? Best headphone I used was Px100 if it can give the same soundstage it will be enough. Can you compare them by sound quality as well? And last question is do they press against ears or take the ears inside? It looks like the hole is very small that they would press over the ears.
My brother has a Studio wireless, and I have a Studio Pro wired. I briefly compared the two (both driven by wire to be fair) The biggest differences are the earpads and the sound signature. The wireless has a darker, thicker sound signature, it has relatively full mids and strong midbass punch. The pro has very pronounced v-shape with very recessed midrange for my taste, the overall sound is brighter and tighter. Both headphones could be considered as bassy, fun character, just different flavor. The pro has the thick high quality earpads which are very comfortable and definitely circumaural for my relatively small ears. I don't remember exactly how the wireless fitted me, but it was on the edge between on ear and over ear I think. The quality of that pad is really cheap, I'd definitely prefer the thick pad (could be purchased separately) but it's ok for short term usage. I don't own any bluetooth headphones but I also compared briefly the JBL T450BT with the Oneodio wireless and the Oneodio is definitely better both in terms of sound quality and comfort in my opinion.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #6,290 of 7,153
My brother has a Studio wireless, and I have a Studio Pro wired. I briefly compared the two (both driven by wire to be fair) The biggest differences are the earpads and the sound signature. The wireless has a darker, thicker sound signature, it has relatively full mids and strong midbass punch. The pro has very pronounced v-shape with very recessed midrange for my taste, the overall sound is brighter and tighter but for me a bit less natural. Both headphones could be considered as bassy, fun character, just different flavor. The pro has the thick high quality earpads which are very comfortable and definitely circumaural for my relatively small ears. I don't remember exactly how the wireless fitted me, but it was on the edge between on ear and over ear I think. The quality of that pad is really cheap, I'd definitely prefer the thick pad (could be purchased separately) but it's ok for short term usage. I don't own any bluetooth headphones but I also compared briefly the JBL T450BT with the Oneodio wireless and the Oneodio is definitely better both in terms of sound quality and comfort in my opinion.
Thanks... What about the soundstage? This is really important for me. I always used px100 for years no other headphones but tried a closed back headphone recently it had zero soundstage and I didn't like it. Can you compare any of your open back headphones with Oneodio's on soundstage, imaging, separation?

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #6,291 of 7,153
Thanks... What about the soundstage? This is really important for me. I always used px100 for years no other headphones but tried a closed back headphone recently it had zero soundstage and I didn't like it. Can you compare any of your open back headphones with Oneodio's on soundstage, imaging, separation?
I don't have any open back nor the px100 sorry, maybe others will be able to help. These are big driver headphones so the soundstage is wider than most smaller closed back portables, but don't reach the level of let's say a Takstar Pro80 so I guess they could be considered average for their size in this respect. The larger earpads help, but I don't think you'll ever get an open back type of sound from a closed headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #6,292 of 7,153
@Slater @baskingshark I've just received the Xiaomi headphones 2 :) I'm listening to it out of the box at the moment, will post more impressions in a few days.

First impression is very positive: beautiful build quality, smaller than expected (my first reaction: so cute haha), the cable splitter is high up but doesn't bother much, comfort is nice for an on-ear. The sound signature is in my ballpark as well, nice punchy smooth sound, it has midbass boost and a bit sparkle at the top which makes it enjoyable and fun, while keeping an overall natural sound for my taste. Midrange is nice and laid-back, I wish there was a bit more upper midrange to make it a bit more airy and edgy but it's still very nice. Basically the opposite of Pro 80 midrange which is heavily dominated by upper midrange, paired with sharp treble, I prefer the xiaomi's presentation and this was one of the reasons besides the portable design why I bought it, so I'm satisfied. :)

I'm listening to it on my dac audio es9018k2m stick which appears to be a pretty nice match for it.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #6,293 of 7,153
@Slater @baskingshark I've just received the Xiaomi headphones 2 :) I'm listening to it out of the box at the moment, will post more impressions in a few days.

First impression is very positive: beautiful build quality, smaller than expected (my first reaction: so cute haha), the cable splitter is high up but doesn't bother much, comfort is nice for an on-ear. The sound signature is in my ballpark as well, nice punchy smooth sound, it has midbass boost and a bit sparkle at the top which makes it enjoyable and fun, while keeping an overall natural sound for my taste. Midrange is nice and laid-back, I wish there was a bit more upper midrange to make it a bit more airy and edgy but it's still very nice. Basically the opposite of Pro 80 midrange which is heavily dominated by upper midrange, paired with sharp treble, I prefer the xiaomi's presentation and this was one of the reasons besides the portable design why I bought it, so I'm satisfied. :)

I'm listening to it on my dac audio es9018k2m stick which appears to be a pretty nice match for it.

I’m really glad you like them. For the sale price, they really are a steal.

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #6,294 of 7,153
Interested in any additional thoughts now that you've had a few weeks with the Allen Ribbon headphones, @xuan87 and @svperbia: how are they holding up?

I've read reviews that suggest more complex pieces get readily congested by the way the ribbon driver presents its bass response. Is that something you've personally experienced?

Given the price range, how do they hold up against the HD600/HD650/HD6XX and the Koss ESP/95X (or any similar headphones you're familiar with)?

Sep 22, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #6,295 of 7,153
I don't have a 95x to directly compare to, and I sold my 6xx when I got my beyerdynamic T1.
In my opinion, the Ribbon is far better than the T1 for listening to music.
It's probably got the strongest bass I've ever heard on an open back headphone. I mentioned it in a previous comment, but when the bass is particularly strong, I can actually feel a 'breeze', from the large amplitude motion of the driver.
The treble is also really good, no obvious spikes or drops like the T1 has.
The only place the T1 wins in music, is very rarely in male vocals. Sometimes, I feel like male singers feel 'far away' and their voices recessed on the ribbon, whereas they'd consistently sound great and nearby on the T1. The odd thing is that this is hard to replicate. I could be listening to "Fear of the dark", by iron maiden, and the Ribbon would sound just fine with the male vocals. Then I'd listen to "No More lies", and the very same singer suddenly sounds as if he's singing from 'far away'.
Could it be because there is some difference in the songs that the T1 can't capture, which makes the T1 sound more consistent to me, whereas the Ribbon can capture the differences which makes things sound worse? I don't know.

I'm interested by your comment about congestion in more complex pieces due to the bass. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like I've personally also heard some weird stuff in complex songs with a powerful underlying bass. Could you link to some the reviews you've read saying this? Strong bass electronic music sounds great, but sometimes when they've got a high frequency piano notes played simultaneously, things start to sound weird in ways I don't think I can properly characterize yet (it's almost as if the piano notes played, which should have no volume variance in time on my T1, sound like they have volume fluctuations of the same frequency as the underlying bass). When heavy bass is being played, I can physically see the driver moving back and forth. Could it be that when strong bass is played alongside other things, the large movements of the ribbon driver for the bass causes the sound source location for the higher frequency components to slightly change? I don't know, but want to find out. I would like to look for more applicable music samples to better understand what's going on.

I think it's too early for me to truly give a review of these headphones. I'm finding now that I get what I paid for in the speaker amplifier I cheaply built - when I turn it on, it starts out fine, but as time goes on the amplifier starts making weird crackling and whining noises at high volume, and it also readily shuts down from clipping problems the second I go past ~70% amp volume. I'm impressed enough by the performance of these headphones, even through the amplifier and power supply noise problems, that I've already placed orders for higher quality and more reliable amps and power supplies, to hopefully drive these off of cleaner and more reliable power.

While I think it's too early to truly review these, I can say that so far, they sound far better for music than the beyerdynamic T1. If I ever start up my computer with the intention of playing music, I won't even consider using the T1 over these, even with all the current amplifier noise problems.
Would I want to wear these for a long time given the current pads? While they are far lighter than the T1, the current pads make them annoying to use for a long time.
Also, the strong bass makes these too 'boomy' and distracting for playing video games, so I find myself switching to the T1, which also has far superior imaging, whenever I want to play FPS games.

In listening to music, I sold my 6xx because I liked the T1 so much, and so far I strongly prefer the Ribbon to the T1.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's fair to say that headphone quality has a true 'order', so even though to me T1 > 6xx and Ribbon > T1, I can't guarantee that I'd have found the ribbon > 6xx, but off of my memory of the 6xx, I'd claim that the Ribbon > 6xx. That said, until I choose to get another 6xx, I can't directly and fairly compare.

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #6,297 of 7,153
I'm interested by your comment about congestion in more complex pieces due to the bass. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like I've personally also heard some weird stuff in complex songs with a powerful underlying bass. Could you link to some the reviews you've read saying this?
Just in one of the more recent Taobao page reviews. For me it makes sense: they just move so much on the low end that it genuinely distorts the imaging and soundstage of the music when that's a feature of the recording.

Given the other designs we've seen for ribbon driver headphones seem much more intent on restricting the level of this movement, it seems this cheaper design has it drawbacks in terms of low-end distortion/impact. I guess this is why ribbon headphones have only been DIY projects for so long.

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #6,298 of 7,153
Sep 23, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #6,299 of 7,153
Sep 23, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #6,300 of 7,153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back