Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 18, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #496 of 7,153
  So I spent a few first hours with Marantz MPH-2s. Here are some of my impressions, but bear in mind that I'm very non-experienced listener, so those may not be relevant in any way. Also I listened to them before burn in, so some things might be slightly different after that :) 

Headphones came in cheap and highly uninteresting box, which contained the headphones itself, three meters long 3,5 mm cable and 3,5 mm to 6,3 mm reduction. Cable has non-standard locking mechanism, which should work in the same way as Audio-Technica's M50x and others from the same series. That makes it harder to replace, as normal 3,5 mm cables don't fit. But this construction also makes it feel somehow firmer, so not necessarily a bad thing. And that's all what's in the box. I found the length of cable annoying at first, but then I figured out that this amazing feature makes me reach every corner of my small room with Marantz's on my head, so it's like having Bluetooth headphones :)

One of the things I was really worried about was the quality of build. Fortunately, it was nothing to worry about. To be honest, those headphones don't look very fashionable on images, but it's slightly better in real life. Construction is purely plastic, but looks better made than what I'd expect on 60 USD phones. It doesn't bend or do weird noises as my Noontec Zoro HDs, which is a big plus. Black and gold combination looks classy. It's also very comfortable, big enough for every type of ears. I don't think you'd want to wear those for ten hours straight, as ears get a little bit hot after a few hours, but that's how life with headphones of this construction works, not really Marantz's fault. It's not that big either, although you'd look a bit like idiot wearing those on the outside. If you still plan to do it, I'd highly recommend buying a shorter cable. Marantz's don't weigh much, isolation from the world is good. but not great.

Now the sound quality. I started with American Authors and their Pride. If you plan to listen to something from indie genre, those are for you. Bandjos and other unusual instruments sound great, there's a lot of fun and energy in it for me. Listening to House of Gold covered by Twenty One Pilots made me smile a little, the less instruments, the better joy from sound.
This is when I wanted to go song by song, telling you how every of them sounds, but that'd take me a lot of time and it wouldn't be very interesting for anyone.
So by genres:

Pop punk (A Day to Remember, As It Is, Blink 182, Bowling for Soup, old Fall Out Boy, Four Year Strong, Good Charlotte etc)

Sounds awesome with newer tracks, but those with a lot of layers (some songs from ADtR) would maybe benefit from a little less of bass. I am a basshead, so no problem for me, but if you are not on the same wave, you'll benefit from playing with equalizer or doing some mods. Songs of a questionable quality will sound... Well, questionable. Don't expect it to make old Blink 182 records sound marvellous, Dammit is made as it is, but pre-chorus in Feeling This will always sound wonderfully on those, I can guarantee that to you. And same goes for every pop punk artist who started in 90s or 00s. The newer track, the better it sounds on those, because newer tracks can really benefit from everything those phones can do. Bass really shines out when listening to Just Drive by Four Year Strong, it's really something. 

Metalcore (Asking Alexandria, old Avenged Sevenfold, Beartooth, Bring Me the Horizon, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk etc)

Well, I listened to I Won't Give In by AA once, I did it twice and wow, six listens later, I must really admit that it sounds wonderfully. THAT BASS. And same goes for Radiant Eclipse by A7X, BMtH songs... After listening to pop punk tracks, I was really worried about separation of tones in those, because there's usually even more of them in metalcore songs. I thought the bass will make the tracks muddy, but nothing like this happened, it doesn't even go over the singer's voice most of the time, so everything is still clear. Maybe it's because of metalcore being a newer genre, but those songs are really fun. I feel this is the way it should be listened to. Absolutely brilliant. Johnny's trilogy by Crown the Empire is pure joy. 

Rock (Foo Fighters, Guns 'n Roses, Hoobastank, Weezer etc)

This is where the bass can be annoying for someone. Not for me, but I can see that it will be. There are bands which definitelly shine with more bass (My Chemical Romance, Weezer) but for example GnR aren't one of those. If you are more into classic rock, you'd better look somewhere else.

Metal-ish (Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, Bullet for My Valentine, Eluveitie etc)

And those are again genres which are generally better with a little of bass. A7X totally benefits from those headphones and never sounded better, but I can imagine that classic, older bands won't be that great. Guitars in Machine Head's songs are separated perfectly, making it sound very well balanced. Folk instruments sound a little beaten by bass in Eluveitie songs, so if you are into those kinds of interprets, looking mainly for those traditional instruments to shine, those are not for you either. 

Various (The Witcher soundtracks)

Wow. Just wow. After Eluveitie's songs, I really didn't expect something like this, but again, that bass makes some songs, mainly instrumental, sound so orgasmic. Love it, how those phones add to epicness. 

So this is it. As I said earlier, I'm not sure this all will be helpful to someone, but that's the way I see it. I think Marantz's and their clones are great for electronic music, pop, newer genres of metal and instrumental music. If you are into classic rock or other genres, where the bass is not very welcomed, then those are not for you. Well yes, you can play with the equalizer for a while, or mod them somehow, but there's no point in buying those headphones if you don't want to use its bass qualities.
The sound generally is fun, what I like about them are really nicely done highs even in songs which are really weirdly done in this way (I See Stars). I won't talk about the joyful bass again, a lot had been said earlier. Those headphones are great for the price, finely made, great sound. If I could change one thing, it'd be adding another cable in the box. Most of the clones (ISKs, RedLynx etc) have those, so maybe go for those.
I bought Noontec Zoro HD's a few years ago, as it had very good reviews. And they can't be compared against Marantz's, there's so much more richness in the latter's sound, I can't even believe those cost the same. They have different construction and use, but still... Incredible value for money with Marantz. It also benefits brutally from higher bitrate songs, 320kbps is a must. Difference wasn't that huge in my old headphones.
But again, I strongly advise to listen to other reviews and professional users. I never had better headphones on my head, so I've got nothing to compare those with.

And I want to thank all involved again for all of your suggestions and help, thanks to you, I made a good decision and good buy. I simply love them.

RE "Here are some of my impressions, but bear in mind that I'm very non-experienced listener, so those may not be relevant in any way."

For an "inexperienced listener," you really can get it done! These comments are excellent, not to mention more detailed than is often the case here. You spent time checking these headphones out physically & sonically, and that is so helpful here.

I'm really nuts about these Marantz MPH-2's. They've become my favorite headphone. I don't find the bass to be particularly emphasized compared to some other headphones I've heard...IMO it's shelved up a very modest amount, but that's OK because it's quite even (across entire bass range, not just a narrow portion) and the bass doesn't intrude on the mids at all.

I've listened to every genre of music in my collection, including vocal, classical, world music, hip hop, reggae on the Marantz'. While it may not be the headphone you'd purchase just for classical symphonies or chamber music, I found it "lets the music through" very well in all genres. Usually I just forget about the headphones and "hear into" the music.

Like @peter123, I tried HM5 "extra thick" pleather pads--not on the Marantz's, but on their nearly identical clone, LyxPro HAS-30's. That was pretty interesting: the bass became slightly less prominent, but gained impact. In fact, the headphones, which already sound very dynamic, became even more dynamic. The downside of the HM5's was that brightness slightly increased--really noticeable because the LyxPro HAS-30's/Marantz' have such ideal, non-peaky/bright highs. I addressed that with a cotton fabric insert at the base of each HM5, and the result was impressive...those headphones kicked like a mule with any significant bass or music dynamics was present.

I have an "endgame" pair of planars on order, and no doubt they'll blow my mind and be the best headphones I've ever heard. But somehow I doubt the Marantz' will ever sound inadequate by comparison...they're just too good for that.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #498 of 7,153
Ok @Pharmaboy you better tell us what those planars are
wink.gif

ZMF Omni/Ori w/ormosia henryi wood earcups.

I've been wanting these for many months. Read so many good things about them.

Late last summer I stepped up & got a DAC that's real endgame for me (Audio GD NOS 19). It's so good that I'm propelled into other upgrades.

I love the headphones I have (Marantz MPH-2's; Yenona's; Fidelio X2's) but the Omni/Ori is step up. Also power-hogs--my HP amps are going to get a workout.

Can't wait for these headphones to arrive.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #499 of 7,153
ZMF Omni/Ori w/ormosia henryi wood earcups.

I've been wanting these for many months. Read so many good things about them.

Late last summer I stepped up & got a DAC that's real endgame for me (Audio GD NOS 19). It's so good that I'm propelled into other upgrades.

I love the headphones I have (Marantz MPH-2's; Yenona's; Fidelio X2's) but the Omni/Ori is step up. Also power-hogs--my HP amps are going to get a workout.

Can't wait for these headphones to arrive.

Nice, congratulations!

I've bought a end game dac/amp myself last spring (Burson Conductor V2+) so I'm also considering getting a pair of really great open headphones and call it a day. For me it'll probably be the HD800(s) or HE560 based on my experience with the lower end offerings from these brands. Still manage to be quite happy with the X2's and HE400i so no rush but I know myself.......

Although I've got the Burson I've also been dreaming of a fully balanced desktop rig and by several coincidences this will also be a reality very soon I believe.....

Does the madness ever end lol?

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #500 of 7,153
Nice, congratulations!

I've bought a end game dac/amp myself last spring (Burson Conductor V2+) so I'm also considering getting a pair of really great open headphones and call it a day. For me it'll probably be the HD800(s) or HE560 based on my experience with the lower end offerings from these brands. Still manage to be quite happy with the X2's and HE400i so no rush but I know myself.......

Although I've got the Burson I've also been dreaming of a fully balanced desktop rig and by several coincidences this will also be a reality very soon I believe.....

I'm going to smug good balanced desktop set from China this year. Gustard A20H at least, maybe X20pro+H20. H20 is their flagship amp, coming this summer. Or maybe Cayin iha6 as amp. Shanling H2.2....

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #501 of 7,153
Nice, congratulations!

The day the madness ends, you're wearing a cheap suit & laying in a pine box. So the longer the madness continues--the better!

Seriously, it's interesting you mention Burson. Early last year I bought a perfect condition/used Soloist--the full preamp version w/4W power. But until now, I haven't really been able to use it in my system: it really has too much power (even at low gain) for my various low ohm/high efficiency headphones. And when I try to use it as a preamp, the relatively small number of steps in the stepped pot become problematic. I think it's just 18-20 steps, so the effective lower range is 3, at most 4 steps (far too crude for realworld volume adjustment).

I've also had a fantasy about somehow getting that stepped pot replaced with a different one w/more steps (such as a Goldpoint 47 step of the proper impedance); or a high quality ALPs pot that isn't stepped at all. But I don't know electronics & have no idea to go about that...

Anyway, I've held onto the Soloist, hoping I'd have a better use for it. And I'm glad I did, because the Omni/Ori will be the first headphones to really suck up some up some of that power. I'll have more range of adjustment just because those planars can really take power.

(the Conductor really is a big/bad "do every & do it well" type unit)

It's been my experience that when you get any endgame audio unit that goes anywhere in the chain (ie, source, preamp, amp, or speakers/powered speakers)--everything else starts looking like a candidate for replacement, too. That's what happened with my Audio GD NOS 19.

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #502 of 7,153
beyerdynamic T5p 2nd gen in the bass paragraph. I got that soundtrack based on your recommendation ages ago :D

Such an awesome OST. Tons of different sounds with great dynamics and rumbling bass

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #503 of 7,153
Not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but for those in the US, you can buy the Bosshifi B7 and B8 from the "Kinden" seller on Amazon, and the headphones will ship via Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Hanger-Holder-Genuine-Walnut/dp/B01L75I5N0

They come with a hard case and are price-competitive ($89 and $92 respectively) with the more bare-bones offerings from places like Aliexpress (where the B7 and B8 cost about the same but typically don't come with any accessories and ship in plain cardboard boxes).

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #504 of 7,153
The day the madness ends, you're wearing a cheap suit & laying in a pine box. So the longer the madness continues--the better!

Seriously, it's interesting you mention Burson. Early last year I bought a perfect condition/used Soloist--the full preamp version w/4W power. But until now, I haven't really been able to use it in my system: it really has too much power (even at low gain) for my various low ohm/high efficiency headphones. And when I try to use it as a preamp, the relatively small number of steps in the stepped pot become problematic. I think it's just 18-20 steps, so the effective lower range is 3, at most 4 steps (far too crude for realworld volume adjustment).

I've also had a fantasy about somehow getting that stepped pot replaced with a different one w/more steps (such as a Goldpoint 47 step of the proper impedance); or a high quality ALPs pot that isn't stepped at all. But I don't know electronics & have no idea to go about that...

Anyway, I've held onto the Soloist, hoping I'd have a better use for it. And I'm glad I did, because the Omni/Ori will be the first headphones to really suck up some up some of that power. I'll have more range of adjustment just because those planars can really take power.

(the Conductor really is a big/bad "do every & do it well" type unit)

It's been my experience that when you get any endgame audio unit that goes anywhere in the chain (ie, source, preamp, amp, or speakers/powered speakers)--everything else starts looking like a candidate for replacement, too. That's what happened with my Audio GD NOS 19.

Yes, you're correct about going nuts lol.

You're also correct on the bold part and the V2 uses a 100 step digital volume control (and a remote control :wink:) so it works with most IEM's as well and has no clicking sounds when changing the volume.

It's kind of nice knowing that you've got that 8W power if needed, that being said my balanced set up will be a good deal more powerful muhaha....

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #505 of 7,153
Anyone else get an email from Yenona store about their new products? They've changed the Yenona Studio Pro to "Oneodio Studio Professional" and they look EXACTLY the same but the stitching on top of the headband is now red and says Oneodio, also these are the ones with the metal adjustment sliders. Anyway they're on sale for $39 which is a pretty good deal imo.

Oneodio Studio Professional

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #506 of 7,153
  Anyone else get an email from Yenona store about their new products? They've changed the Yenona Studio Pro to "Oneodio Studio Professional" and they look EXACTLY the same but the stitching on top of the headband is now red and says Oneodio, also these are the ones with the metal adjustment sliders. Anyway they're on sale for $39 which is a pretty good deal imo.

The new version looks nice. Damn, it's so cheap for a pair of 50mm drivers.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #507 of 7,153

The new version looks nice. Damn, it's so cheap for a pair of 50mm drivers.

Yep I totally dig mine. Even after listening to TOTL beyerdynamics the last couple of weeks I'm in no way offended by the Yenonas.

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #509 of 7,153

Got mine today, as I haven't tried the first ones but read a bit about them I can say that even if they are mostly plastic they are built solid and the 3.5mm is snug to the point where I almost have to use two hands to remove it. The size nubs are now some kind of metal and ever bump has a distinctive click.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back