Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
May 3, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #3,571 of 7,153
Ive heard that SR325 sounds very similar to 60e and 80e, like 90-95% the same headphones. But if they at least beat the latter ones in terms of sound quality i put them on my list.

LOL! That's not my experience at all, quite different sounding imo so that's a surprising comment.....

Have you heard them yourself?

May 3, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #3,572 of 7,153
LOL! That's not my experience at all, quite different sounding imo so that's a surprising comment.....

Have you heard them yourself?

No, one reviewer just said that 325 is not much different than the cheaper models. :beyersmile:

https://homestudiobasics.com/grado-sr325e-review-diminishing-returns/

• I’m not sure that they’re worth the asking price, when you could get 90-95% of the sound from the Grado SR80e. The law of diminishing returns is especially apparent in Grado headphones, I’m sad to say. That’s not to say that they aren’t good. All Grado headphones are very good, with the exception of a couple (The 125e comes to mind as being kind of mediocre). A definite miss in my opinion. I do think they really nailed it with the GS1000e and PS500e, but are they worth that much more? Not in my eyes. Differences in the e series line are very subtle. It takes a lot of listening to really be able to discern.

May 3, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #3,573 of 7,153
May 3, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #3,574 of 7,153
Those broken hinges would be easy to fix into position. Unless you share your headphones with others (or use them outdoors while you're wearing hats of various thicknesses), there's really no need to always adjust the headband. Put it at the optimal setting, and affix them that way using small stainless hardware (ie machine screws and a nut etc). If your head drastically changes size (due to a sudden onset of a Cerebral Edema for example), just readjust the headband to the new size via the hardware.
In the case of a sudden onset of Cerebral Edema I personally recommend one simply reach for the Akai 50X, a headphone clearly designed for people with catastrophic Cerebral Edema.
Unless you are already a bit melon-headed and the Akai fit you fine, in which case, yeah, do the thing with the re-adjusting the screws and whatnot...

May 3, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #3,575 of 7,153
Ok, then it must be true.....

For what it's worth, Zeos has said that most of the Grado models all sound very similar to each other. He basically says don't get anything but an SR60E if you just "want" a Grado. If you really like Grado though, then he says go for what you want to afford basically.

May 3, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #3,576 of 7,153
From SR60 to SR325 the build quality improves from plastic to metal and sound changes but I like SR80, and SR325 (the original) over the SR325e

May 3, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #3,577 of 7,153
For what it's worth, Zeos has said that most of the Grado models all sound very similar to each other. He basically says don't get anything but an SR60E if you just "want" a Grado. If you really like Grado though, then he says go for what you want to afford basically.

Reason number 10 for me to stay away from his videos :wink:

May 3, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #3,578 of 7,153
Joe Grado, RIP (Grado Labs) made my favorite moving magnet cartridges. Years ago I owned a Grado tonearm--an amazingly good & wonderful-looking device.

But I just can't bring myself to listen to his headphones. Too many people describe them as bright--and the comfort looks iffy w/many of them.

This is my only audio prejudice...honest!

(kidding)

May 3, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #3,579 of 7,153
Its subjective after all, some people claim that they taste the difference between light and dark roasted coffee, others dont notice any difference. On the other hand some people are just trying to pass over the fact that their equipment worth of hundreds/thousands dont do anything better than their cheaper alternatives.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #3,580 of 7,153
Its subjective after all, some people claim that they taste the difference between light and dark roasted coffee, others dont notice any difference. Some people are just trying to pass over the fact that their equipment worth of hundreds/thousands dont do anything better than their cheaper alternatives.

Maybe, but sometimes there is also the opposite desire that can also bias someone - the desire to be that cool person who found the amazing budget alternative to the pricier competition, so one can convince himself that his budget purchase really is as good or better than the more expensive gear. :)

May 3, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,581 of 7,153
Maybe, but sometimes there is also the opposite desire that can also bias someone - the desire to be that cool person who found the amazing budget alternative to the pricier competition, so one can convince himself that his budget purchase really is as good or better than the more expensive gear. :)

Youre totally right, sir. :)

May 3, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #3,582 of 7,153
I have only Limited experience with Grado but in my opinion as a brand they have become outdated and thus overpriced. For a long time sr60 was propably best you could get for $100. not for a long Time now. When I got takstar hi2050 many years ago I auditioned sr60i and and it was obvious that a 100 and 150 euro Grado was a Bad deal compared to 25e takstar.

Recently I owned and quite quickly sold rs2e. It was good headphone but had Bad Synergy with My Gear. I also could not get over The fact that this 699€ headphone still has The same non detachable rubber hose as a cord as lower end end models. Same plastic hinges too. Sound was not on par with the high Price tag either.

Once I auditioned gs1000e and to my memory it wasn't that big of an upgrade over rs2e. I compared gs1000e to cheaper alternatives they had and I preferred beyerdynamic T1 and stax sr404 over grados. Stax+amp combo was cheaper than gs1000e.

I feel that all grados are overpriced and none are good enough in their price ranges. Not in America and definately not with crazy EU prices. If they would lower the price about 30% and start offering detachable cables and more luxurious materials for atleast for their top products...then maybe I could consider their products again. Many diy grados are gorgeous with metal gimbals etc...

May 3, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #3,583 of 7,153
In the case of a sudden onset of Cerebral Edema I personally recommend one simply reach for the Akai 50X, a headphone clearly designed for people with catastrophic Cerebral Edema.
Unless you are already a bit melon-headed and the Akai fit you fine, in which case, yeah, do the thing with the re-adjusting the screws and whatnot...

I think someone should release an over ear with huge muff called Cerebral Edema. I'd buy it.

May 3, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #3,585 of 7,153

I resemble that melon head! My Akai 50x fit me perfectly fine once I adjust them out a bit.

uuOugB3.jpg

m5YMpqi.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back