Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 27, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #32,281 of 33,689
Detailed doesn't necessarily have to mean neutral either. And neutral doesn't necessarily mean sounding natural, true-to-life or realistic. It's important to keep in mind that the shape of the frequency response only reflects one aspect of an IEM.

Interesting. I have always considered neutrality to always be faithful to audio recording.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #32,283 of 33,689
Interesting. I have always considered neutrality to always be faithful to audio recording.

I'm of the school of thought that neutral doesn't always equal better. After all, even if we ignore the compressed/PCM/DSD side of the equation, the records themselves are not necessarily mastered to the same standard in the studio. A lot of the J-pop I enjoy suffer from the loudness war, for instance. In those instances, a purely neutral transducer might actually make your music seem less enjoyable than it would otherwise be.

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #32,284 of 33,689

Being 100% faithful to the original recording would, if you'll permit me to be a pedant for a moment, involve writing to the original producer and asking what equipment they used for mastering the record in question. That would likely get quite expensive.

Back in the real world, on the chi-fi front, Tin T2 would suit your needs quite well - I'd advocate getting a pair and seeing how you feel about that (please for the love of Geoff feed them through an amplifier though) before investing Etymotic money on Etymotics.

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #32,285 of 33,689
Being 100% faithful to the original recording would, if you'll permit me to be a pedant for a moment, involve writing to the original producer and asking what equipment they used for mastering the record in question. That would likely get quite expensive.

Back in the real world, on the chi-fi front, Tin T2 would suit your needs quite well - I'd advocate getting a pair and seeing how you feel about that (please for the love of Geoff feed them through an amplifier though) before investing Etymotic money on Etymotics.

Or at least trying the ER2 series (for 100ish) instead of jumping to the ER4 ($250-300, depending on sale prices). This will let you try the fit and their house sound signature.

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #32,286 of 33,689
All things considered, it sounds like you need a pair of Etymotics in your life.

i agree, but do mind that Etymotic's biggest barrier is not the sound, but the fit. we can use other eartips, but unless the length and diameter of the eartips are the same as the stock triple flange, it would not be the "real" etymotic sound, per se.

luckily they now have a more accessible biflange tips

as much as i like hearing/mixing with studio monitors, it's sometimes more enjoyable to listen to that same song on a different sounding system like car audio, V shaped headphones/home speakers, etc. certainly not as faithful representation (this is also a very loose term in my opinion), but certainly enjoyable

not one of them is a wrong choice, it juat depends on what you enjoy them most

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #32,287 of 33,689
Oct 27, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #32,288 of 33,689
Friends at head-fi, here’s my take on the new LZ A7 from LZ HiFi Audio.

LZ A7 –A natural sounding earphone of epic proportions!
WeChat Image_20201020164332(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201020164351(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201020164306(2).jpg
WeChat Image_20201020164109(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201020164240(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201020164212(2).jpg
About LZ A7:
Notably, different in sound and structure from the LZ A6, the LZ A7 provides a different flavor in sound while it is differently built in structure altogether. So, let’s see what’s the talk on the A7 model and what makes them unique to an already congested world of earphones. For now, I can say that I have two top sounding earphones that can easily be considered best in its class for their different approach, and owning both has been only twice the fun, since they both can be considered as top models that only comes from the well-known LZ company selecting only top quality dynamic drivers, BA armatures, and especially the piezo tweeters that gives LZ that distinguishable signature sound placing them a step above many other chi-fi brands.
WeChat Image_20201020164139(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201020164132(2).jpg
Owning the LZ A6 for 10 months now has been a delight and a treat, to say the least. And, while the LZ A6mini was actually the LZ earphone that started my quest for better quality sounding earphones for less, it made me realize that cheaper branded earphones don’t necessarily mean less if you can actually gain more. But, to my surprise! I wasn’t expecting LZ to make a left turn instead of a right making an altogether different sounding and different structured model. So, I was given the opportunity to listen to the LZ A7 flagship model, which was sent to my doorstep in return for an honest review. Now, I do want to sincerely express that there is no other involvement other than to give an honest review and impression of the LZ A7. So, after more than 100 hours of play time with the LZ A7, I can truly say that the A7 has the sound, quality, plus the tuning gadgets that can actually compete with branded IEM's costing much higher than $300 and can outshine many Chi-fi branded names currently on the market today. Though, for a Chi-fi brand they still hold a hefty price tag, and it is no wonder they still do, since they sport a 7 driver unit per side consisting of a 1 liquid crystal polymer diaphragm driver for low frequency, 2 Knowles BA armatures, and 2 7 layer parallel piezoelectric ceramic tweeters per side for smooth and transparent highs. Having such unique drivers to boost the sub-bass to extreme lows, while maintaining natural sounding MID's all the way up to the most extended upper treble on a hybrid set-up definitely gives them one of the best image and texture of the highest achievement to date on any Chi-fi that I’ve heard by far! I personally think the only competition LZ will have a hard time competing with is with their last A6 flagship model. But, on the bright side, as I said before, both have totally different tunings giving them a unique outcome on the “natural sounding soundstage” of the A7 vs the “excellent-rounded soundstage” of the A6 giving them two different selling points and desire of taste! So, how does the competition pan out for LZ? ...We'll soon see! Now, In the other hand, I can only think that if LZ decides to make another A7 in a “mini version” model, they would be able to compete in the $100-200 dollar range once again. This will make LZ “a force to be reckoned with” for a second time in a row!
FB_IMG_1600071225166(3).jpgFB_IMG_1600071227287(2).jpg
So, are the A7 flagship model worth buying? Heck, yea! In sound alone, these are capable of competing against well-made branded names, plus the other accessories included in the package makes it a done deal! Besides the elegant looking pair of black earphones, you’ll get a detachable premium MMCX cable, 5 pairs of tuning filters, 9 pairs of silicone ear tips with a transparent plastic case, 1 tuning switch pin (to adjust between pop or monitor), and a green carry case to carry the IEM and cable! Currently, my impressions are compared with the black tuning filters installed, which brings out the extreme well-balanced and extended sound signature the A7 can disburse at best.
WeChat Image_20201020163946(2).jpgH0b8d5e3d44824716914b8299e1a74ff04.jpg *Courtesy of LZ

Special features you will also get with the A7 flagship model includes a “POP” and “MONITOR” selective switch that’s mounted on the right and left earphone housing. You can switch between listening to popular music or monitoring your music, which really works well for your own personal choice at hand! POP music mode impedance is at 15 ohms with a sensitivity of 109dB, while MONITOR mode will play louder at 13 ohms with a greater sensitivity of 113dB.
WeChat Image_20201020164246(2).jpgHdabf66a53c0a472fb0a5b233582e4ba8u.jpg *Courtesy of LZ

On my last review of the LZ A6, I mentioned that there were some improvements to be made on better Quality Control from LZ's part. I also mentioned that what sets most branded and Chi-fi IEM's aside from each other is mostly "Quality Control." Now, with that said, I realized that LZ actually made some improvements showing that they are capable of staying on top by listening to its customer’s feedback and making the changes necessary on maintaining a competitive spirit and providing better value as well. 1) They provided better quality detachable cables to match the already well built housing. This was a must and a plus for the A7. Well done! 2) They also provided better quality silicone ear tips to insure a better fit, better seal, and better comfort. Though, some of the silicone ear tips might be too tight on the tuning filters, which they still might want to look into. 3) And finally, many buyers (like myself) liked the idea of the better fit housing they provided for that better ergonomic and more comfortable fit. Thumbs up from me!
FB_IMG_1600071212641(2).jpgFB_IMG_1600071215625(3).jpg
WeChat Image_20201020164339(2).jpgWeChat Image_20201020164118(2).jpg
Moisture build-up? Last time some proud owners of the A6 and A6mini (and myself) experienced some moisture build-up on several of the tuning filters, which I suggested 1) that a quick fix would be to unscrew the tuning filters you’re currently using, hold them between your fingers towards your lips and blow a burst of air into them from the inside exiting outward from the outer vents for several seconds repeating it two or three times for each filter, 2) or to eliminate the filter screen once and for all for a moisture-free listening experience. But, so far that hasn’t been the case on the A7’s. I can confirm that after listening to the A7’s for more than 3 weeks they sound crystal clear with no moisture build-up, IMHO!

Battle Royal of the best!
In relation to the comparison below, I personally think all the IEM's below are fairly well-made and can easily please even the most experienced in just sound quality alone. But, remember these are all Chi-Fi branded IEM's and some people might be judgmental on quality rather than just sound alone. So, keep in mind, the comparisons below will be based more on sound impression.

LZ A7 vs LZ A6
Both the A7 and A6 demonstrate great clarity, big soundstage and outstanding resolution. But, that’s it! From here and on, they sound totally different! So, take your pick! The A7 has a more natural sounding environment with the best timbre in its class, precise imaging, and incredibly well textured bass with natural sounding MID’s and treble, while the A6 reveals an excellent rounded soundstage, quick awesome bass response, with MID’s and treble driven clarity. They both are so different in sound and housing that owning both would make them a night and day experience that’s sure to please your mood. They are both totally opposites! Two different flavors on which ever one you choose to pick, if you ask me!

LZ A7 vs MT100 (by SFR)
Here are two earphones that carry more similarities than differences when comparing both. The MT100 carries rich and detailed bass with good texture and low sub-bass, but in a similar manner the A7 performs eerily the same. Though, the advantage has to go to the A7 where you can actually tune the bass to your liking with deeper bass and texture. Again, the MT100 and A7 can also express the midrange with breath-taking and natural accuracy, but with the tuning features the A7 provides, it just provides better flexibility. Both have a natural sounding environment with good treble transparency, air, and crispiness, but the A7 can be tuned to flex those high notes giving the piezo tweeters that extra bite needed to succeed in almost all the categorized genre’s today. In the end, the MT100 will just play your music safe at best.

LZ A7 vs DQ4 (by Magaosi)
With the tuning positioning of the DQ4 switched to "high resolution", the DQ4 does a fairly good job expressing details, but just slightly harsh at times. So, my personal favorite tuning switch of the DQ4 is the "enhanced sense of atmosphere" position doing an excellent job of demonstrating a holographic sound signature. But, the natural sounding environment the A7 provides and overall imaging and texture can demonstrate a similar effect with a more livelier and extended treble thanks to the piezo tweeters, which from a surround-sound perspective makes the DQ4 sound lacking as a result.

LZ A7 vs BLON BL03
Even though the popular BLON BL03 cost a lot less, I decided to include the underdog! So, let's literally hear the results! The BL03, as you know by now, are known fairly well for its excellent timbre and surprising natural transparency at its price point. But, the A7 sounds more natural with better accuracy and precision to details making the BL03 sound more bass-heavy, especially in the MID-bass when comparing them to the same genre's. Though, the dynamic drivers in the BL03 can only be described as superb and exceptional to the highest standard and definitely "bang for the buck" for such a low price, the A7 is just totally superb with overall enhanced and natural sounding details bringing out the best of my personal collection of music reminding me that the BLON BL03 belongs at the lower price bracket, which they came from.

PROS:
Natural sounding soundstage, solid and smooth ergonomic fit, good variety of tuning options, good amount of silicone ear tips, detachable MMCX 8 core 6N silver plated copper cable, excellent timbre and imaging, wooden storage box as well as a nice round storage case, and value for the price!

CONS:
Some of the provided silicone ear tips including the default tips are not easy to take off or mount on. No foam ear tips were supplied in the package. Name logo on each housing can be overly too fancy for some to understand and might undermine the overall appearance.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
The A7 left me totally satisfied writing this review when compared to many other IEM's I currently have in my possession. They clearly are at the edge of excellency in sound alone. I was also satisfied at the improvements made on the earphones housing and the accessories department as well. So, in the end, I personally think they are worth the cost avoiding some of the slight QC issues that came about in their last model.

The A7 can be found at the link below...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001472096370.html

PS. If you’re interested in knowing more about the LZ A7, you can check out the thread started by 'peter123' at the link below:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lz-a7-iems-impressions-and-reviews-thread.938134/

Hope this review can be beneficial for those interested...

-Clear

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #32,289 of 33,689
Yes, there’s different drivers, and 2 of them have a more low end. So the F1 is kinda a crapshoot. You may get lucky or you may not. Think of it like an IEM fukubukuro lucky bag...

Unlucky bag in my case. I've got a pair with Tenhz drivers and a pair with generic... Tenhz drivers. Basically it's put me off KBear for life. The KS2 is pretty good but if I hadn't got it for nowt as a review sample there's no way I would have bought it with my own money. Same goes for LZ and their "forgetting to put terminals on IEMs" and "biodegradable IEM cables" faux pas...

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #32,290 of 33,689
Unlucky bag in my case. I've got a pair with Tenhz drivers and a pair with generic... Tenhz drivers. Basically it's put me off KBear for life.

Yeah, I admit that was totally bundled. How you can mess up something like that is beyond me. 4 different drivers, with no rhyme or reason which one you’ll get:

B96E876B-BB92-417A-BD8B-4443E6B10111.jpeg

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #32,291 of 33,689
Yeah, I admit that was totally bundled. How you can mess up something like that is beyond me. 4 different drivers, with no rhyme or reason which one you’ll get:

B96E876B-BB92-417A-BD8B-4443E6B10111.jpeg

I don't know which brand of driver is in my F1, but I do like how it sounds.

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #32,292 of 33,689
I don't know which brand of driver is in my F1, but I do like how it sounds.

Yeah, that’s the thing with the F1. As much as the different random drivers angered people, none of the drivers sounded BAD. It’s just some sounded slightly different than others.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #32,294 of 33,689
I know mine can't be a great driver version because my NixeHCK DT100 is way better

I have to say that for my ears - the fit, seal, comfort, and sound - of my F1 ($34) are actually a bit better than my DT100 ($88). And, I like my Remax RM-600M ($25) even better - but they've got a tethered cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back