Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Mar 14, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #30,181 of 33,689
Mar 14, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #30,182 of 33,689
whoops, Sorry @Slater I should write more specifically about Chi-fi world only. Yes I do agree on that some great headphones/earphones still standing from the past until now, like maybe the Sony EX-1000, yes HD 800 etc. And absolutely correct about other things that built on better materials in the past. I was referring to chi-fi world because lately they are moving so fast. So a good chifi from last year can be overtake by this year better chifi, unless they are really great or have something special like maybe T2, or this year BL-03. But in case on DM6 they have been mixed review even for last year, and a lot of people prefer Kanas Pro or ibasso IT01s, and more over BGVP have DM7 now. Like KZ they are also improving by the time, like better take ZS10 pro than last year ZS10 regular, or better take ZSX today. Just like that. I should write more specific before, my bad.

It's mostly about consumerism culture & how hype sells the latest "best" products ("Magic" music myths) . I.e., In general, Chi-fi is just producing the same tech at cheaper prices with the usually marketting spin & unproven claims (e.g., not even publishing basic scientific measurements in order to back up measurable & testable objective claims.e.g., Less distortion ) that X material makes any noticeable difference in the perception of audio quality. And of course oddly enough the "best" sounding & expensive IEM's have the added bling,e.g. they "look good".

In general, the best IEM's (within their own price range) are those that have been in production for years because their user reputation has meant the manufacturer can keep selling enough of them. Unlike the "bling" models that are here today & gone tomorrow, after the marketing hype has gone & enough consumers have reviewed them as not worth the hype. In general, manufacturers can not keep bringing out ever better sound quality IEM's models out every year as the audio technology just has not moved on at that pace ( wireless tech has more been about trying to be equivalent to wired). However, manufacturers have a easy time convincing your average consumer that their hard earned money is buying yet another audio upgrade, because humans are very biased animals ( e.g., Myths,illusions & lies). Unless, they use the scientific methods to mitigate that bias. And most certainly do not & have no idea what mitigating their own psychological biases even means.

Of course there are technological improvements. Though, just saying, 99% of the audio marketing is competitive driven spin & the sell sell sell business model.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #30,183 of 33,689
Mar 14, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #30,184 of 33,689
Thanks RikudouGoku for the great review! From your review, I gather that the mids (especially vocals) are not lush, organic or wet, but maybe a little dry, forward and accurate sounding? Would that be fair to say?
While the vocals are not really the problem, it is due to the treble and timbre that makes the mids not sound organic/natural and I would not call them accurate due to the timbre being unnatural. If you like natural vocals then I would suggest the Audiosense DT200 over the Voyager 3.

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #30,185 of 33,689
O gosh..now that I finally got time with the quiet of night , I finally managed to do a A/B testing with the new and old versions of the EDR1
IMG_20200317_000512.jpg

New EDR1 seems to have a louder, larger soundstage, heavier bass but more sibilance on vocals but less microphonic with the new cables, and is my eyes playing tricks on me? the metal bullet shells also look a tad bigger too

Also I could hear more micro details in the new version and Wow ! beginning to love it even more..the differences is significant enough for me to seek this rarity so as to buy extra pairs of it to stock up in case this one breaks

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #30,186 of 33,689
I am very surprised with the HECATE GM360 by EDIFIER. I bought these on 11/11 sale for around $16 US dollars (113 yuan) on taobao and performs way above their price! Very similar to the BLONS, but with slightly less mid-bass and more micro-details! The only CONS are the non-detachable cables, but everything else about them is very positive!

*Below are the FR GRAPH of HECATE(left) and BLON BL03(right) from current postings.

I bought mine on taobao...
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?i...0a532ae1cbc979b100f344&spm=a230r.1.1957635.48

-Clear :yum:

Finally got my hands on this hecate 360 and i must say i was quite underwhelmed at first listen as the treble sounded shrill and tinny and thin sound signature . But however after changing the stock tips to wide bore ones they totally changed the sound signature to bassy and smooth rounded but transparent vocals. These are pretty sensitive to the type of ear tips used and they can drastically change their sound signature.

Have been testing them for a few hours with familiar songs ( AR Rahman music). I must say these are pretty brilliant on some technical aspects and gives an exquisite type of Dynamic digitally processed sound. rather than analog BA sound common in Chifi IEMs,

They have dynamic sound signature that resembles a mix between JBL processed sound signature bass ,transparency of the BCD hifi Drivers and the mids, treble and soundstage of the Revonext QT2. Overall signature is smooth and crisp (when needed with treble) with detailed clean notes . They are not really 100% neutral , but have an organic smooth, richer, warmer sound that focuses more on the texture and tone of the music and with good clear pass through micro details. When i played my usual songs which i am familiar with , the layering and background details , acoustics come off as audible smooth clean and effortless. I was able to pick up details in percussion , and synthesizer sounds really well.

Treble is mostly well bodied and round with some transparency.There is little of airy sparkle and crisp present but nothing overly excessive. In fact the treble i is quite balanced and smooth. There is slight roll off but nothing too major

The bass mostly comes through as a middling range between lower mid bass and sub bass. It is a combination of grippy and tight extended into a slight V- shaped sub-bass, but remains composed - and not get fuzzy or muddy, not very detailed either). However there is sufficient accuracy of bass when the music calls for it.

Midrange is right in place , doesn't smudge with the top or bass , there is some incredible depth added by the bass and mid range , and the resolution is better than the the BCD or QT2). Vocals are well rounded and transparent. there is some crisp at the expense of airy sparkle in the top

These Iems are responsive to the source material played , instead of linearly and artificially emphasizing some sound aspects ( like the KZ ones) they convey the the feel of the source sound through some processing of the tonality ( with a cold icy tinge) but ,except that their timbre isnt so organic or natural like the BCD Hifi microdrivers. the whole sound signature is rather colored .

However their instrumentation and separation is better than the BCD and other KZ IEMS in the same price range. Their acoustics and articulation especially on EDM and is quite good and unique and in most of the music accoustics or surround/ depth action mostly seems to happen on the mid- back half of the sound stage instead of frontal.

Overall i am quite pleased with the purchase

Thats all for initial impression and i need more time with them for full review as these are still burning in fast.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #30,187 of 33,689
O gosh..now that I finally got time with the quiet of night , I finally managed to do a A/B testing with the new and old versions of the EDR1IMG_20200317_000512.jpg
New EDR1 seems to have a louder, larger soundstage, heavier bass but more sibilance on vocals but less microphonic with the new cables, and is my eyes playing tricks on me? the metal bullet shells also look a tad bigger too

Also I could hear more micro details in the new version and Wow ! beginning to love it even more..the differences is significant enough for me to seek this rarity so as to buy extra pairs of it to stock up in case this one breaks
Are you sure the new EDR1 is really new?

Mar 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #30,189 of 33,689
@Otto Motor yes, as I have been doing MO for a couple of years on the EDR1s for myself and friends and only managed to snag this unit recently, which also comes with a new retail packaging, which I posted a few threads behind
They may just have repackaged their old stock. I think that because nobody can sell an earphone for $5 anymore. I have a new one on order, so I will find out soon....and can even measure it.

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #30,191 of 33,689
Finally got my hands on this hecate 360 and i must say i was quite underwhelmed at first listen as the treble sounded shrill and tinny and thin sound signature . But however after changing the stock tips to wide bore ones they totally changed the sound signature to bassy and smooth rounded but transparent vocals. These are pretty sensitive to the type of ear tips used and they can drastically change their sound signature.

Have been testing them for a few hours with familiar songs ( AR Rahman music). I must say these are pretty brilliant on some technical aspects and gives an exquisite type of Dynamic digitally processed sound. rather than analog BA sound common in Chifi IEMs,

They have dynamic sound signature that resembles a mix between JBL processed sound signature bass ,transparency of the BCD hifi Drivers and the mids, treble and soundstage of the Revonext QT2. Overall signature is smooth and crisp (when needed with treble) with detailed clean notes . They are not really 100% neutral , but have an organic smooth, richer, warmer sound that focuses more on the texture and tone of the music and with good clear pass through micro details. When i played my usual songs which i am familiar with , the layering and background details , acoustics come off as audible smooth clean and effortless. I was able to pick up details in percussion , and synthesizer sounds really well.

Treble is mostly well bodied and round with some transparency.There is little of airy sparkle and crisp present but nothing overly excessive. In fact the treble i is quite balanced and smooth. There is slight roll off but nothing too major

The bass mostly comes through as a middling range between lower mid bass and sub bass. It is a combination of grippy and tight extended into a slight V- shaped sub-bass, but remains composed - and not get fuzzy or muddy, not very detailed either). However there is sufficient accuracy of bass when the music calls for it.

Midrange is right in place , doesn't smudge with the top or bass , there is some incredible depth added by the bass and mid range , and the resolution is better than the the BCD or QT2). Vocals are well rounded and transparent. there is some crisp at the expense of airy sparkle in the top

These Iems are responsive to the source material played , instead of linearly and artificially emphasizing some sound aspects ( like the KZ ones) they convey the the feel of the source sound through some processing of the tonality ( with a cold icy tinge) but ,except that their timbre isnt so organic or natural like the BCD Hifi microdrivers. the whole sound signature is rather colored .

However their instrumentation and separation is better than the BCD and other KZ IEMS in the same price range. Their acoustics and articulation especially on EDM and is quite good and unique and in most of the music accoustics or surround/ depth action mostly seems to happen on the mid- back half of the sound stage instead of frontal.

Overall i am quite pleased with the purchase

Thats all for initial impression and i need more time with them for full review as these are still burning in fast.
Glad you liked them. For me, they are quite engaging and the micro-details are spot on with the rest of the spectrum giving a sense of openness and clarity while maintaining a good low and deep sub-bass response. When it comes to dual micro drivers per side these are surely my favorite. Hopefully, in the later future they can make one with detachable cables, since Edifier is a well established company from China.
-Clear :beerchug:

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #30,193 of 33,689
Any recommendations for a pure dynamic driver IEM's under $600?

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #30,194 of 33,689

Tanchjim Oxygen
Dunu Falcon C
NF Audio NA1
ibasso IT01s
Moondrop Starfield / Kanas Pro / KXXS
ISN D10 (coming soon)
Tinhifi T4
KBear Diamond
Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 ( I google it everytime I type them)
BLON BL-03

non Chifi stuff :
JVC FD01 / FD02 / FDX1
Sony MDR EX-800ST / EX1000
Final Audio E5000

with $600? Free to choose several item listed above

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #30,195 of 33,689

Before you lay down that kinda cheddar, you might want to say what kind of sound signature you’re looking for. Also, be aware that this thread is mainly budget ChiFi gear. There may not be a lot of recs for $600 IEMs (in this thread anyways).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back