Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #30,151 of 33,689
for your heavy fare you can't go wrong with the 9tail (like slater suggests the tuning filters are a bonus). it's very good value
Ok, I think I'll buy the 9tail, either with the current sale or the anniversary one. Thanks to you and @Slater for the help!

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #30,152 of 33,689
@loomisjohnson Sorry if I bother you, but I've seen you reviewed both the kbear diamond and the 9tails, two of the main candidates for my new iems, so I'm asking you which one would you recommend when searching for an "authoritative" sound (I mainly listen to metal, hard rock and synthwave/darkwave, so I want to feel the crunch of the guitars, the pulse of the bass, etc).

I have both sets and both are in my top 2 for chifi DD under $100 (for my personal tastes I would put the Diamond as #1 and Ninetails as #2).

Would agree with @loomisjohnson that ninetails is better for your preferences cause of the tuning filters to suit different genres and wider soundstage. Diamond is more smooth and laidback.

Both sets are typical of DD tuning, with timbre/tonality/coherency being their forte (maybe Diamond has better timbre than the Ninetails). Both have quite good technicalities for a DD set but won't beat similarly priced multi BA sets in this area (Diamond's technicalities are still better than Ninetails except in the area of soundstage). Both can hit in the midbass quite hard (ninetails with bass filters on). In fact with a good source, ninetails can almost hit basshead levels with both bass filters on and give jawrattling bass without EQ.

I don't listen to metal but i would think a multi BA/hybrid would be an advantage over these two DDs in terms of technical excellence for metal and genres with lots of complex instrumentation and fast passages/synthetic instruments. These two are best suited for accurate representation of acoustic instruments and vocals. But nevertheless i would say for more hardhitting stuff, the Ninetails would still be the better option for you.

Ninetails looks weird but it is comfortable as slater says. Isolation is subpar though, so not the best for on the go use. And the tuning filters really work and are not gimicks unlike some other chifi.

And you're in luck, there's an aliexpress sale going on now. Lowest I've seen the ninetails go last year was about $75 usd after coupons, good luck!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #30,153 of 33,689
I have both sets and both are in my top 2 for chifi DD under $100 (for my personal tastes I would put the Diamond as #1 and Ninetails as #2).

Would agree with @loomisjohnson that ninetails is better for your preferences cause of the tuning filters to suit different genres and wider soundstage. Diamond is more smooth and laidback.

Both sets are typical of DD tuning, with timbre/tonality/coherency being their forte (maybe Diamond has better timbre than the Ninetails). Both have quite good technicalities for a DD set but won't beat similarly priced multi BA sets in this area (Diamond's technicalities are still better than Ninetails except in the area of soundstage). Both can hit in the midbass quite hard (ninetails with bass filters on). In fact with a good source, ninetails can almost hit basshead levels with both bass filters on and give jawrattling bass without EQ.

I don't listen to metal but i would think a multi BA/hybrid would be an advantage over these two DDs in terms of technical excellence for metal and genres with lots of complex instrumentation and fast passages/synthetic instruments. These two are best suited for accurate representation of acoustic instruments and vocals. But nevertheless i would say for more hardhitting stuff, the Ninetails would still be the better option for you.

Ninetails looks weird but it is comfortable as slater says. Isolation is subpar though, so not the best for on the go use. And the tuning filters really work and are not gimicks unlike some other chifi.

And you're in luck, there's an aliexpress sale going on now. Lowest I've seen the ninetails go last year was about $75 usd after coupons, good luck!
Thanks for the reply!
I was avoiding BA iems because I always heard that the bass always lacks impact compared to a DD, since the latter moves air. Moreover, both the diamond and the 9tail are described as being smooth and forgiving of poorly mastered tracks, and metal more often than not is poorly mastered, and since I cannot quite focus on technicalities while my ears are being murdered by a full frontal assault of cymbals, mixed by someone who is either sadistic or treble deaf, I'll happily trade a bit of technicalities for a more enjoyable sound signature

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #30,154 of 33,689
Thanks for the reply!
I was avoiding BA iems because I always heard that the bass always lacks impact compared to a DD, since the latter moves air. Moreover, both the diamond and the 9tail are described as being smooth and forgiving of poorly mastered tracks, and metal more often than not is poorly mastered, and since I cannot quite focus on technicalities while my ears are being murdered by a full frontal assault of cymbals, mixed by someone who is either sadistic or treble deaf, I'll happily trade the extra technicalities for a more enjoyable sound signature

Well in general yes BA bass generally doesn't extend as low in the subbass and move air/decay as much as a DD bass. DD bass to me generally still feels more "natural". One option is to consider hybrids instead of pure BA sets, as hybrids combine the bass of a DD with the mids/treble of a BA and u can sort of get the best of both worlds. Though at the budget segment sometimes there are coherency or crossover issues with hybrids.

Yep, the Diamond and Ninetail are rather forgiving of poorly mastered tracks, and I don't get any sibilance or sharp cymbals on both of these sets. They both have a higher treble roll off and are not fatiguing and hence suitable for long listening sessions.

If i could only keep one DD set on a desert island, it would be the Ninetails. The tuning filters really make it very versatile, it can give 9 different tuning signatures from V shaped to basshead to neutralish. Only issue is the isolation as above, and the mids are recessed on even the most neutral tuning, with note weight thinner than some sets like the Diamond. I think a lot of people gave it a miss due to the unconventional look, but it is quite an underrated gem that does well in most areas.

I have seen some reviews that the TRN BA5 and DUNU DM-480 are metal friendly IEMs, but as metal is not something I listen to, I can't confirm this. The TRN BA5 is as its name suggests, a pure BA setup, so it might be lacking some bass, but reviews put it as having quite good technicalities. I don't own the BA5 but maybe u can ask the rest.

I do have the DUNU DM-480, and though it is a dual DD setup, it's timbre and technicalities are closer to a multi BA/hybrid than a pure DD setup, meaning it has average timbre compared to its dynamic brethren, but its technicalities are still not too bad compared to budget multi BA sets. The DM-480 has super subbass extension and quantity, and the bass is very accurate for a DD bass. The timbre and thinner noteweight are not the best for acoustic instruments/vocals, but for a pure DD setup, it has quite good technicalities and wide soundstage.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #30,155 of 33,689
Could someone tell me, what is the height of a Symbio W Peel tip? I'm interested in the M size if it makes any difference. Also, are the Symbio Wn (foam + silicone hybrids) same size? If not, could I have the height of these as well?

Diameter x Height (in mm)
Symbio W:
L-13.3x9.5
M-12.2x9
S-10.1x9
Borediameter 4.5mm.
Symbio W, Wa, Wn and W Peel - all the same size.
Cheers!
:tangerine: :peace:

btw - we are based in Europe.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #30,156 of 33,689
Well since linsoul got the Urbanfun iss014 and my voyager 3 hasnt been sent out yet, I also bought the iss014. Lets see how much longer it takes for them to make the voyager 3 it has almost been 2 months already....
Did you order in express? I was told it just worth to order in express then free shipping, and currently shipping is so slow in china few of my orders in aliexpress in basically on hold and their price for express is just not worth compared what linsoul offers.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #30,157 of 33,689
Did you order in express? I was told it just worth to order in express then free shipping, and currently shipping is so slow in china few of my orders in aliexpress in basically on hold and their price for express is just not worth compared what linsoul offers.
Well they told me they would ship it with DHL express for free since it's taking so long. It's not in stock and I have been waiting for like 2 months now lol

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #30,159 of 33,689
I am very surprised with the HECATE GM360 by EDIFIER. I bought these on 11/11 sale for around $16 US dollars (113 yuan) on taobao and performs way above their price! Very similar to the BLONS, but with slightly less mid-bass and more micro-details! The only CONS are the non-detachable cables, but everything else about them is very positive!

HECATE GM360.jpg *Below are the FR GRAPH of HECATE(left) and BLON BL03(right) from current postings.
EDIFIER GM360.pngScreenshot_378.png

I bought mine on taobao...
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?i...0a532ae1cbc979b100f344&spm=a230r.1.1957635.48

-Clear :yum:

Just ordered it ... i will post my review soon

Mar 8, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #30,160 of 33,689

you sure that they're slow to ship ?

from my 3 orders so far it looks rather that the shipping updates are *very* delayed (for whatever reason) and they're good to go (seems to be on par in speed or rather quicker - all with aliexpress standard shipping / DHL)

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #30,161 of 33,689
Just received the new version KZ ED9 and guess what's been changed here too...
IMG_20200309_192451.jpg

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #30,162 of 33,689
Mar 9, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #30,164 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back