Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 2, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #29,821 of 33,689
One good thing about the system maintenance where no one can post is I got to finally see this:

"You do not have any subscribed threads that are unread."

and for the dozens of really smart posts I read yesterday from really helpful Head-Fi members which featured tremendous wisdom and insight:

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE
LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #29,822 of 33,689
Don't know. But now I'm sure the tips are from final as I've seen some reviews about Final products and they're almost identical.
I think it's just some form of collab

Strangely after I push my review Final automatically follows me

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #29,823 of 33,689
A bit off-topic: Am I the only one who's struggling to get used to this new head-fi layout? On a desktop browser it looks quite weird with loads of blank space on both sides of the screen. :|

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #29,824 of 33,689
A bit off-topic: Am I the only one who's struggling to get used to this new head-fi layout? On a desktop browser it looks quite weird with loads of blank space on both sides of the screen. :|
The mobile ver is also pretty strange relatively. Lol. As are the emails... I guess they drive traffic to the site...

Feb 2, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #29,825 of 33,689

Not the only one, I absolutely hate it. But I think we have to get used to it: It's a trend across websites and apps nowadays towards as little readable information as possible on any given screen: Large fonts, boldface whenever possible, increased line spacing, lots and lots of white space all over. I assume the idea is that fewer of those pesky letters on the screen means it's more visually appealing (or less intimidating to some) and efficiency of browsing and reading isn't a concern.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #29,828 of 33,689
Not the only one, I absolutely hate it. But I think we have to get used to it: It's a trend across websites and apps nowadays towards as little readable information as possible on any given screen: Large fonts, boldface whenever possible, increased line spacing, lots and lots of white space all over. I assume the idea is that fewer of those pesky letters on the screen means it's more visually appealing (or less intimidating to some) and efficiency of browsing and reading isn't a concern.

What I don’t like is that the text won’t always wrap properly on mobile devices.

Like this:

5250C3BA-3E37-4303-81AB-18964CDA93E5.png

Depending on the particular post (such as ones with text only), text wraps ok. But on other posts (such as the above post that had a FR graph), the text won’t wrap.

And there’s not even a scroll bar for some unknown reason. The workaround seems to be to disable screen orientation lock on my device, then physically rotate the device to change to landscape orientation. But even then it doesn’t work for all cases.

Hopefully it’s just a bug that they will iron out in time

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #29,829 of 33,689
What I don’t like is that the text won’t always wrap properly on mobile devices.

Like this:

5250C3BA-3E37-4303-81AB-18964CDA93E5.png

Depending on the particular post (such as ones with text only), text wraps ok. But on other posts (such as the above post that had a FR graph), the text won’t wrap. And there’s not even a scroll bar for some reason. The workaround is to disable screen orientation lock on my device, then physically rotate the device to change to landscape orientation. But even then it doesn’t work for all cases.

Hopefully it’s just a bug that they will iron out in time
The new blue colour of the top is nice :)
There are always pluses and minuses.

Feb 2, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #29,832 of 33,689

I'm sorry, but this goes too far. You might not like the new layout and I guess that's OK, but please don't claim
false motives behind the redesign.

The single driving factor behind the redesigns of all websites in the last few years has been that webtraffic has become dominated by
mobile browsers, so websites are being optimised for mobile use.
It is impossible to make a layout that works equally well on a 6" phone and a 24" monitor, so you compromise, as in you make it look good
on mobile, and look ok-ish on desktop.

I'm not affiliated with Head-Fi, but I'm 100 % sure that efficiency of browsing and reading was the concern behind the redesign of this site.

Feb 2, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #29,834 of 33,689
I'm sorry, but this goes too far. You might not like the new layout and I guess that's OK, but please don't claim
false motives behind the redesign.

The single driving factor behind the redesigns of all websites in the last few years has been that webtraffic has become dominated by
mobile browsers, so websites are being optimised for mobile use.
It is impossible to make a layout that works equally well on a 6" phone and a 24" monitor, so you compromise, as in you make it look good
on mobile, and look ok-ish on desktop.

I'm not affiliated with Head-Fi, but I'm 100 % sure that efficiency of browsing and reading was the concern behind the redesign of this site.

Let me say right away that I have zero doubt that the redesign was done with good intentions, and I do apologize if my post gave the opposite impression. However I stand by my assertion that the current trend of web re-designs (including this one) is overly focused on achieving a believed visual appeal through an "airy" layout that avoids too much text on the screen, at the expense of reading and navigation efficiency.

As as a former typographer and owner of a typesetting and imaging shop back in the days, I am very familiar with this dilemma: Too small type, spaced too closely and with too little margin, is of course hard to read; too large type, spaced too widely and with too much margin, requires scrolling though too many pages. Typographers ("word people") often tend towards the former, while graphics designers ("image people") often tend towards the latter.

The aim for a good mobile experience is obvious and right. But since different layouts are used on mobile pages and desktop pages one doesn't have to compromise the other. In this case both layouts are too airy and hurt efficiency -- in my opinion. Though I, too, like the blue color :relaxed:

I'll leave it at that, since we really are way off topic -- for which I truly apologize.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #29,835 of 33,689
It defintely needs some work, but we've no option but to use it as it is at the moment. I'm sure in a couple of weeks they will notice the problems. It's lacking coherency at the moment. It was working so well previously.....I hope they can keep usability at the fore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back