Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Apr 21, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #8,491 of 33,689
would be interesting how the kinera fare with the Brainwavz B200.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #8,492 of 33,689

my new kinera bam03 dual BA ($29 from see u again on ali) are breaking in nicely--very detailed, treble-forward and energetic, plus after switching to large starline-type tips i'm able to coax quite a bit of low end, though it won't plumb the depths. i'm conscious of not overpraising these, since there may be some shiny new toy effect going on, but i don find myself reaching for them often.

Interesting! Let me know your further impressions when you've had some more time with them. Also, if you have something like ety or klipsch, I'd appreciate a comparison :)

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #8,493 of 33,689

Interesting! Let me know your further impressions when you've had some more time with them. Also, if you have something like ety or klipsch, I'd appreciate a comparison :)

i don't have the ety or brainwavz, but i've heard the x10 and own the x5--in general the klipsch are smoother/warmer with significantly less treble extension/detail and more bass quantity, tho less bass speed. unless you're treble-sensitive the kinera is the more engaging listen. another comparo would be with the remax rm-600, a single BA which got some attention here awhile ago--from memory, the remax has comparable treble quality, but was brighter and more sibilant with a thinner note presentation, esp. at the low end. hope that helps

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #8,494 of 33,689
I received my pair of K3 Pro as well (coming from AK audio store), ordered at the 7th Anniversary sale. The pair actually got shipped ~7th of April, same as most of the other people who ordered from different stores during the sale (so I guess it must be from the same batch). OOTB they don't sound bad, compared to the **** 4in1, though I'm experiencing the same issue with cutting-out on the left earpiece. Strangely enough its present with the original mic cable and the cable from my ****, but not with the other cable the K3 Pro came with (I know it sounds extremely strange). No problems with the right earpiece though...

Someone mentioned that his pair seemed not balanced correctly (right one is louder than the left one)... and I kinda feel like I'm experiencing the same. According to the person that initially reported this, it was caused by the driver mountings not being symmetrical. Mines seem symmetrical though, so am not sure if I'm imagining stuff, or they are really unbalanced. And to be honest, I don't know exactly how to test that, so I'm 100% sure.

Build quality seems decent, so definitely don't wanna try disassembling them to check if they came with original or fake 30017 (as mentioned in the K3 PRO topic).

Overall expected A LOT MORE than what I got. Not sure how to handle the QC issues ... should I contact AK Audio Store, cause I definitely don't wanna pay for shipping them back to China.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #8,495 of 33,689

i don't have the ety or brainwavz, but i've heard the x10 and own the x5--in general the klipsch are smoother/warmer with significantly less treble extension/detail and more bass quantity, tho less bass speed. unless you're treble-sensitive the kinera is the more engaging listen. another comparo would be with the remax rm-600, a single BA which got some attention here awhile ago--from memory, the remax has comparable treble quality, but was brighter and more sibilant with a thinner note presentation, esp. at the low end. hope that helps

Thanks, very helpful. My daily driver is an X10, since my ety died. Let me know when you've had more time with them and got over the new toy syndrome, they sound like something that'd fit me :)

Oh, and how is the isolation btw?

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #8,496 of 33,689
  I received my pair of K3 Pro as well (coming from AK audio store), ordered at the 7th Anniversary sale. The pair actually got shipped ~7th of April, same as most of the other people who ordered from different stores during the sale (so I guess it must be from the same batch). OOTB they don't sound bad, compared to the **** 4in1, though I'm experiencing the same issue with cutting-out on the left earpiece. Strangely enough its present with the original mic cable and the cable from my ****, but not with the other cable the K3 Pro came with (I know it sounds extremely strange). No problems with the right earpiece though...

Someone mentioned that his pair seemed not balanced correctly (right one is louder than the left one)... and I kinda feel like I'm experiencing the same. According to the person that initially reported this, it was caused by the driver mountings not being symmetrical. Mines seem symmetrical though, so am not sure if I'm imagining stuff, or they are really unbalanced. And to be honest, I don't know exactly how to test that, so I'm 100% sure.

Build quality seems decent, so definitely don't wanna try disassembling them to check if they came with original or fake 30017 (as mentioned in the K3 PRO topic).

Overall expected A LOT MORE than what I got. Not sure how to handle the QC issues ... should I contact AK Audio Store, cause I definitely don't wanna pay for shipping them back to China.

Have you tried reconnecting the cable? That fixed the cutting out issue with my Tennmak Pro.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #8,497 of 33,689
  Have you tried reconnecting the cable? That fixed the cutting out issue with my Tennmak Pro.

Oh yeah, definitely ... I did some more testing, the left earpiece seems to be more loosey when connected to a cable, and it definitely cuts out, though not on a shake head for example, but if I move the cable a bit more. As mentioned, I have 3 MMCX cables - 2 that came with the K3 Pro, and 1 from **** 4in1 - the only cable that doesn't cause any issue is the non-mic K3 Pro one, both the other ones have cut-outs with the left earpiece. I never experienced something like that with the 4in1 though, so it's definitely not the cable, but the earpiece (just one of them).

Also I tried swapping the left and the right channel and the right one is definitely louder (probably by several dB) ... so not sure how to proceed now :frowning2:

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #8,498 of 33,689
  Oh yeah, definitely ... I did some more testing, the left earpiece seems to be more loosey when connected to a cable, and it definitely cuts out, though not on a shake head for example, but if I move the cable a bit more. As mentioned, I have 3 MMCX cables - 2 that came with the K3 Pro, and 1 from **** 4in1 - the only cable that doesn't cause any issue is the non-mic K3 Pro one, both the other ones have cut-outs with the left earpiece. I never experienced something like that with the 4in1 though, so it's definitely not the cable, but the earpiece (just one of them).

Also I tried swapping the left and the right channel and the right one is definitely louder (probably by several dB) ... so not sure how to proceed now :frowning2:

I really wish they would fix MMCX -  it's terrible and I've been saying that for a while now. I still think Accutone's proprietary version is the best I've experienced personally.

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #8,499 of 33,689
Yeah, definitely an issue and not just with cheap chi-fi as I have had issues with the more lot expensive shures  and my se215 had cutting out issues from the very beginning, so annoying qc issues with MMCX occur even with established international brands and not just with unknown Chinese manufacturers

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #8,500 of 33,689

my new kinera bam03 dual BA ($29 from see u again on ali) are breaking in nicely--very detailed, treble-forward and energetic, plus after switching to large starline-type tips i'm able to coax quite a bit of low end, though it won't plumb the depths. i'm conscious of not overpraising these, since there may be some shiny new toy effect going on, but i do find myself reaching for them often.

Even the lesser BAS02 is worth a punt, certainly no bass monster but a great option considering it's low price. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #8,502 of 33,689
Having heard a few bad QC cases with the K3 Pro, i'm kinda glad i got it earlier before the sale. It's very likely QC went down as demand surged during the sales. Probably only this batch i guess. I don't think MMCX in general is to be blamed because of this as they're pretty reliable as long as the quality of connection / the female socket used is good.

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #8,503 of 33,689
Having heard a few bad QC cases with the K3 Pro, i'm kinda glad i got it earlier before the sale. It's very likely QC went down as demand surged during the sales. Probably only this batch i guess. I don't think MMCX in general is to be blamed because of this as they're pretty reliable as long as the quality of connection / the female socket used is good.

​I just received a 3rd party MMCX cable and the connection is much more secure. The stock K3 cables would wiggle while connected and would spin freely like a ball bearing. The new cable is rock solid and the connection issues are gone.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #8,504 of 33,689

Thanks, very helpful. My daily driver is an X10, since my ety died. Let me know when you've had more time with them and got over the new toy syndrome, they sound like something that'd fit me :)

Oh, and how is the isolation btw?

(re: the kinera bam03)...isolation with large comply or starline-type tips is quite good--better than average. i will say comfort is superior on the klipsch (of course, the klipsch are more comfortable than anything), but the kinera are nonetheless quite lightweight and comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back