Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Mar 31, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #7,666 of 33,689

You know I'm a KZ fanboy and I've gone on record saying the ZST is the KZ to get if you want the best performance from their lineup (midrange/treble flaws and all). But, if someone's tight budget allows them to spend well over 100 bucks on an earphone, the K3 would be worth stepping up to if that's the signature you're looking for. The K3 sits in what I consider a sweet spot hinting at the sort of performance you get from something more premium like the FCL 8S. It doesn't quite reach those levels, but then I wouldn't really expect it to.

Compared to other sub-200 USD earphones I've heard like the Echobox Finder X1 (my current favorite), Accutone Gemini HD, Dunu Titan 1, etc. it's plenty competitive. They all have their pros and cons. To me the ZST is pretty darn impressive for the price, particularly for it's soundstage and imaging/layering qualities, but looking at sound alone the K3 is not playing the game at the same level. Toss in the rest of package which is much more complete and of higher quality than anything KZ offers, and yeah, the vast gap in cost doesn't seem so bad.

The K3 isn't all positives though. The second cable for example seems like a waste. You'd think it would have a mic for portable use, but nope. It's just a crappier version of what I consider the primary cable; sheath is sticky, it's poorly relieved, and in general just feels cheap compared to the other one. I'd take the ZST's cable over it. Either ditch the second cable and drop the price or replace it with something that has an inline mic to make it more than just a backup for the good cable if it breaks. The K3's soundstage is also pretty average in size, but the layering and imaging qualities make up for it. It has a more intimate presentation than the ZST which I find extremely spacious sounding, and not just for something at their price. Also, I like the ZST's housing more even if it's not as well constructed. It looks cooler and I find it more comfortable 
biggrin.gif

They're both very good at their respective prices, but the K3 presents itself in pretty much every way as a much more premium earphone.

It'd be interesting to see how the K3 stacks up to the ZSR when the ZSR releases, since they'd effectively be competitors at that point.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #7,667 of 33,689
  It'd be interesting to see how the K3 stacks up to the ZSR when the ZSR releases, since they'd effectively be competitors at that point.

So true but I'm not holding my breath since KZ can't seem to put any kind of release date to the ZSR
rolleyes.gif
In the mean time I'm enjoying my Beverly Hills Cop rig today? "The Rosewoood"
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #7,668 of 33,689
My take on the MEMT X5. I found it a fun listen for sure, but not without some pretty serious flaws.

[rule]

[rule]

I think you nailed it on this one. I love the overall sound quality for the money but the"no strain relief on the inline mic" imo is the reason mine has a short right at the in line mic. I wish I could cut the in line mic out and reconnect the wires but I don't have any experience in this area. Anyone who does I would appreciate the help..Great review B9!

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #7,670 of 33,689
I think you're the type that likes neutral with no bass then the Xiaomi hd pro you will like the best

I want my bass when the it's on the track, but I have a hard time with it being overblown. :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #7,671 of 33,689
Just to add, I saw Trinity's Icarus III which was described as emotional and has great instrument placing, would that translate to a good sound stage?

My two in that range are the popular Magaosi K3 (Pro) and the SIMGOT EN700 Bass. I just got the SIMGOT so it's burning in but it's already very impressive.

My own personal opinion on Trinity Audio is to stay far away. They seem to set deadlines and never meet them. They hyped their PM4 as mind blowing but in reality many did not like them and they soon after came up with a revised version.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #7,672 of 33,689
My two in that range are the popular Magaosi K3 (Pro) and the SIMGOT EN700 Bass. I just got the SIMGOT so it's burning in but it's already very impressive.

My own personal opinion on Trinity Audio is to stay far away. They seem to set deadlines and never meet them. They hyped their PM4 as mind blowing but in reality many did not like them and they soon after came up with a revised version.

Yeah everyone is feeling a bit like this in regards to TA at the moment:

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #7,673 of 33,689
:grinning: Right. Everyone hears differently. Now I realize there were some issues in the first production models but I still have to repeat how bad my pair of ZST are. I even gave them suggested additional burn in. They went from bad to absolutely terrible.

This has turned me off to any further KZ purchases. I almost want to take a hanner to them like I did that horrible earmax. Yes they ate THAT bad.

My pair may be the exception rather than the rule, but I don't get burned twice.

:smiling_imp::smiling_imp: TWIN

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #7,674 of 33,689
:grinning: Right. Everyone hears differently. Now I realize there were some issues in the first production models but I still have to repeat how bad my pair of ZST are. I even gave them suggested additional burn in. They went from bad to absolutely terrible.

This has turned me off to any further KZ purchases. I almost want to take a hanner to them like I did that horrible earmax. Yes they ate THAT bad.

My pair may be the exception rather than the rule, but I don't get burned twice.

This has probably been suggested already but did you make sure the cables were attached to the correct sides or try swapping sides with it? Some users changed their impressions from terrible to great after getting the cable connected properly.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #7,675 of 33,689

Dang Crabby, you are turning me into a Trancer
biggrin.gif
Some of those vids are awesome and the eye candy is top notch
tongue_smile.gif

Now on a side note I think all of you have been a little too hard on Trinity, as far as I'm concerned and up to this point the PM4 has been the only real bust in their iem line. IMO the Hyperion, Techne, Delta V1/V2, Sabre and Vyrus have been very good iem's for the money. Every company has growing pains whether self inflicted or arising from an outside source but I still contend Trinity is over all a good company. My only real concern if they don't keep a lot of these good iem's in inventory at respective price points since their main concentration is always making it better through improvements which is not alwways a good thing if you want to build a strong base based on reputation. Also IMHO the community at large has tried to chink the armor and that kind of disappoints me because one ding is not cause one to try and sabotage a business
rolleyes.gif
I sure don't think Bob is shady in the least and I can assure you there are shady sellers in the Chi-Fi world we all play in
wink_face.gif
OK, said my peace on Trinity you can all go back to your regularly scheduled programs
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #7,676 of 33,689
  It'd be interesting to see how the K3 stacks up to the ZSR when the ZSR releases, since they'd effectively be competitors at that point.Actua

Actually Im quite curious to how do you guys know that a ZSR is coming up from KZ? I've been trying to find info about it and it doesn't seem to work for me :frowning2: Oh and also when will it be released? :D

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #7,677 of 33,689

I had the same experience with my ED12. It's pretty horrible. Sounds like they meant to make a ZST but forgot to include the BA, haha. Didn't stop me from ordering more KZ's but it certainly turned me off that particular model. Too bad because I like the look.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #7,678 of 33,689

I had the same experience with my ED12. It's pretty horrible. Sounds like they meant to make a ZST but forgot to include the BA, haha. Didn't stop me from ordering more KZ's but it certainly turned me off that particular model. Too bad because I like the look.

Crazy thing is I put the silver plated KZ cable on my ED12 and my 15 year old has them and loves dat bass!! Of course he has now fallen in love with my Trinity Techne's and to me by far the better iem of the two
rolleyes.gif
Now Keith's problem with KZ IMO is he is spoiled to a much higher grade iem and I'm the same way as I get more and better iem's my KZ's are getting like the Maytag repairman
blink.gif
Like I've said about hitting the Lottery, all my fave iem's now would be in the same predicament as my KZ's are now
redface.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #7,679 of 33,689

Have to say I enjoy mine

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #7,680 of 33,689

You know I'm a KZ fanboy and I've gone on record saying the ZST is the KZ to get if you want the best performance from their lineup (midrange/treble flaws and all). But, if someone's tight budget allows them to spend well over 100 bucks on an earphone, the K3 would be worth stepping up to if that's the signature you're looking for. The K3 sits in what I consider a sweet spot hinting at the sort of performance you get from something more premium like the FCL 8S. It doesn't quite reach those levels, but then I wouldn't really expect it to.

Compared to other sub-200 USD earphones I've heard like the Echobox Finder X1 (my current favorite), Accutone Gemini HD, Dunu Titan 1, etc. it's plenty competitive. They all have their pros and cons. To me the ZST is pretty darn impressive for the price, particularly for it's soundstage and imaging/layering qualities, but looking at sound alone the K3 is not playing the game at the same level. Toss in the rest of package which is much more complete and of higher quality than anything KZ offers, and yeah, the vast gap in cost doesn't seem so bad.

The K3 isn't all positives though. The second cable for example seems like a waste. You'd think it would have a mic for portable use, but nope. It's just a crappier version of what I consider the primary cable; sheath is sticky, it's poorly relieved, and in general just feels cheap compared to the other one. I'd take the ZST's cable over it. Either ditch the second cable and drop the price or replace it with something that has an inline mic to make it more than just a backup for the good cable if it breaks. The K3's soundstage is also pretty average in size, but the layering and imaging qualities make up for it. It has a more intimate presentation than the ZST which I find extremely spacious sounding, and not just for something at their price. Also, I like the ZST's housing more even if it's not as well constructed. It looks cooler and I find it more comfortable 
biggrin.gif

They're both very good at their respective prices, but the K3 presents itself in pretty much every way as a much more premium earphone.

I know you are a fan and I as well, I passed on the K3 because I got the Sendiy M1221 for $119 in the 7th sale and I'm pretty confident in @1clearhead 's finding of them. I went back to the same seller I got mine from in the sale and he has them posted at $299 now
blink.gif
If they are all !Clear claims they are I got a steal
biggrin.gif

@TwinACStacks I have to say you must have a defective ZST buddy, I'll agree the ED-12 was not an upgrade for me on any of the ED line but once again sub $30 iem's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back