Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Mar 31, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #7,651 of 33,689

I forgot they sell Dark Roast actually. Line was long when I came in. Meant to grab something after it died down but didn't. Oops...
rolleyes.gif

Isn't that against the law?

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #7,653 of 33,689

Not against the law, but not looked upon positively. Issue is null though as the person I was with had purchased something.

OK you scraped by.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #7,654 of 33,689
  OK you scraped by.

biggrin.gif
 Lucky me. 

On a completely unrelated side note, these are pretty nice; Audbos K3.

They're almost like a smoother, more refined KZ ZST with an even midrange, more natural tone, and all the treble peaks ditched. Good detail retrieval all the way though, and a very dynamic soundstage with impressive layering and imaging qualities for a sub 150 USD product. Not sure if they're tuned differently than the Magaosi K3, but if not I get why there is lots of hype for that model.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #7,656 of 33,689
:D  Lucky me. 

They're almost like a smoother, more refined KZ ZST with an even midrange, more natural tone, and all the treble peaks ditched. Good detail retrieval all the way though, and a very dynamic soundstage with impressive layering and imaging qualities for a sub 150 USD product. Not sure if they're tuned differently than the Magaosi K3, but if not I get why there is lots of hype for that model.
care to Link where you got them?

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #7,659 of 33,689

biggrin.gif
 Lucky me. 

@B9Scrambler Is it a $135 difference ? I paid $14 and some change for my last colorful ZST's, I mean I know the shells of the K3 are way better than the ZST as well as the cable and probably all the internals but IYO does the sound upgrade as well as parts justify the additional $135? Would could even say $110 more as you can get a pretty sweet cable for the ZST for another $25
wink_face.gif
We know it's all subjective but those on tight budgets might want to know because even at $110 more it is a big stretch for some
rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #7,660 of 33,689
frankenstein-its-alive-its-alive.jpg

It's been an exhausting trip to write everything down (written in many stages over the past weeks and months) and probably just as exhausting to proof-read and format it, but my English review of the iBasso DX200 is finally finished and online (and will be here on Head-Fi as well, soon-ish): http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2017/03/iBasso-DX200-Review.html#more

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #7,662 of 33,689
Everyone will have different hearing. So that explains why you might not like it. Still a recommendation to some.

Of course, and different preferences. I'm sure there are people here who think it's worth the hype, but I personally think it isn't. Which is why it's IMO :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #7,664 of 33,689

@B9Scrambler Is it a $135 difference ? I paid $14 and some change for my last colorful ZST's, I mean I know the shells of the K3 are way better than the ZST as well as the cable and probably all the internals but IYO does the sound upgrade as well as parts justify the additional $135? Would could even say $110 more as you can get a pretty sweet cable for the ZST for another $25
wink_face.gif
We know it's all subjective but those on tight budgets might want to know because even at $110 more it is a big stretch for some
rolleyes.gif

You know I'm a KZ fanboy and I've gone on record saying the ZST is the KZ to get if you want the best performance from their lineup (midrange/treble flaws and all). But, if someone's tight budget allows them to spend well over 100 bucks on an earphone, the K3 would be worth stepping up to if that's the signature you're looking for. The K3 sits in what I consider a sweet spot hinting at the sort of performance you get from something more premium like the FCL 8S. It doesn't quite reach those levels, but then I wouldn't really expect it to.

Compared to other sub-200 USD earphones I've heard like the Echobox Finder X1 (my current favorite), Accutone Gemini HD, Dunu Titan 1, etc. it's plenty competitive. They all have their pros and cons. To me the ZST is pretty darn impressive for the price, particularly for it's soundstage and imaging/layering qualities, but looking at sound alone the K3 is not playing the game at the same level. Toss in the rest of package which is much more complete and of higher quality than anything KZ offers, and yeah, the vast gap in cost doesn't seem so bad.

The K3 isn't all positives though. The second cable for example seems like a waste. You'd think it would have a mic for portable use, but nope. It's just a crappier version of what I consider the primary cable; sheath is sticky, it's poorly relieved, and in general just feels cheap compared to the other one. I'd take the ZST's cable over it. Either ditch the second cable and drop the price or replace it with something that has an inline mic to make it more than just a backup for the good cable if it breaks. The K3's soundstage is also pretty average in size, but the layering and imaging qualities make up for it. It has a more intimate presentation than the ZST which I find extremely spacious sounding, and not just for something at their price. Also, I like the ZST's housing more even if it's not as well constructed. It looks cooler and I find it more comfortable 
biggrin.gif

They're both very good at their respective prices, but the K3 presents itself in pretty much every way as a much more premium earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back