Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 25, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #14,671 of 33,689
I know it is hard to get in Europe but MEE has a second generation improving the sound and build of the first M6 Pro. Comes out tomorrow though but still seems a shame to order the old one just as the new one drops.

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #14,672 of 33,689
Hey guys, I got some great advice from this thread the last time I was getting IEMs, can you help me out again maybe? :D

I haven't been keeping up with cIEMs or IEMs in general, I got Musicmaker TK12 last year and I've been largely satisfied with them, however the jack is starting to give out and once IEMs start having cable problems in my experience they just start breaking every other week with heavy use, so I'm already looking for a replacement. Can you recommend any good ones in that price range (80-100E)?

My experience with the TK12 was that they were too sibilant and chewed through certain vocals, the highs are a bit too sharp and they make cymbals and snares sound very unnatural (although very clear). I was told that Musicmaker might have changed the tuning/speakers over the years, and that newer models are more sibilant, but I cannot confirm or deny this. The vocals, while some of them are warped, sound very forward surprisingly, so it's not like the mids are bad, I think the highs were just tuned way too sharp, maybe in an effort to make them sound more appealing at first listen or in A/B tests. The bass was plentiful, not bloated, but it lacked that texture and layering that I got from something like RHA MA750 that I had before. So ultimately, something with slightly more refined bass and less sibilant, harsh high end? Would TK13 be ideal, or the Magaosi K3 Pro? Those were the top dogs in that price segment back when I was buying IEMs, but I was told to go for the TK12 because of my preference for soundstage and bass. Funnily enough, I was most impressed by clarity and instrument separation of the TK12, but not too much by the bass texture and quality, and the sounstage was rather average compared to the RHA MA750 and even the Sennheiser Momentum in-ears I had before. Does the K3 pro have a wider soundstage? Any new IEM in this price segment over the last year I should look into?

Thanks a bunch guys, without you I wouldn't know where to look in the Chinese IEM world... :)

Have you considered just replacing the jack? You can get new MMCX jacks (and cables) on Aliexpress. If you are handy with a soldering iron, it's only (4) wires to resolder (very easy). You could even have a local electronics shop do it for you (such as somewhere that repairs cell phones or even a local school that has electrical engineering or electronics technician programs).

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #14,673 of 33,689
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #14,674 of 33,689
I know it is hard to get in Europe but MEE has a second generation improving the sound and build of the first M6 Pro. Comes out tomorrow though but still seems a shame to order the old one just as the new one drops.
Wow, that's good to know. I had no idea.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #14,675 of 33,689
Have you considered just replacing the jack? You can get new MMCX jacks (and cables) on Aliexpress. If you are handy with a soldering iron, it's only (4) wires to resolder (very easy). You could even have a local electronics shop do it for you (such as somewhere that repairs cell phones or even a local school that has electrical engineering or electronics technician programs).

I don't really know about that, I'm going to give it to a local repair shop guy I know that my family has helped in the past, so he repairs me some headphones now and again for free, really cool guy. I do have to catch him when he doesn't have any work so I'm currently waiting on that. The problem is at the 3.5mm plug, or rather the entrance to the tube that houses the internal wiring, the rubber grommet Musicmaker put on the headphones was not secure at all, and the pressure went directly to the cable entrance there. I'll probably have him just cut it off and replace it with another plug at the end, since that's the easiest solution. I don't know about replacing that, he'd do it and all but I wouldn't like to trouble him with that, he usually works with larger wiring and stuff so repairing IEMs is a pain to him :frowning2: maybe if I get new IEMs, I'll try modding them to use MMCX, but not when they're my only pair. I also don't want to **** with it, I don't know how complex a 2BA+1DD setup on each IEM is, don't want to push one of the speakers out of housing or some stupid mistake like that, and thus ruin a (relatively) working set of IEMs.

But even when I repair them, like I said, the sound is interesting but not ideal, and I'm looking for something slightly different to the TK12. Less sibilant and harsh highs, more textured and layered lows (at the cost of some quantity, sure, but the punch is definitely what I'm looking for), and a wider soundstage. Thanks anyway dude!

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #14,676 of 33,689
Does anyone here have any experience with MEE Audio M6 PRO? They're supposedly really good for analytical listening.
http://s.aliexpress.com/3memqYve?

I have the M6 pro and they are a near neutral signature with fairly good isolation so, for critical listening they probably are an appropriate choice. Unfortunately, in this case analytical means boring and lifeless so my pair has little to no use on them and sits in a drawer. Even with critical listening, something with a little extra energy in the treble would be nice to help open them up a bit. the M6 pro was one of those earphones that proved to me that neutral doesn't necessarily equal good.

Feb 26, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #14,677 of 33,689
I have the M6 pro and they are a near neutral signature with fairly good isolation so, for critical listening they probably are an appropriate choice. Unfortunately, in this case analytical means boring and lifeless so my pair has little to no use on them and sits in a drawer. Even with critical listening, something with a little extra energy in the treble would be nice to help open them up a bit. the M6 pro was one of those earphones that proved to me that neutral doesn't necessarily equal good.
Ditto. Had my M6 Pro probably for 2 years now and it has been in a drawer for almost the entire time. I'm not saying it's bad, just not my style. I also found the fit to be rather finicky with it. Great unboxing experience though, I must say.

Feb 27, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #14,678 of 33,689
My latest review, on Astrotec AM850, is live now!

They make an interesting entry in the 100$ price range!

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.com/2018/02/astrotec-am850-vivid.html

Audiophile-heaven-review-astrotec-am850-25.jpg

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #14,681 of 33,689
The Zodic Audio ET2201 IEMs (DM5) continue to improve. I'm now using an upgraded silver-plated copper cable and have found that I need to increase the volume on my Fiio A5 amplifier a couple of notches. I assume this is because the cable is higher impedance. This has smoothed out the treble and tightened the bass. Is this a known effect of a higher impedance cable? Layering is excellent, good for me because I enjoy electronic music where this is an important aspect. One other thing I have noticed is that as well as good width and depth in the soundstage, there is good height as well. I have not experienced this in an IEM before, I assume it's because of the semi-open design. I'm really enjoying my music on these, and after all, that's what it's all about!

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #14,682 of 33,689
Briefly heard the King Pro... Wowzie!!!

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #14,683 of 33,689
The Zodic Audio ET2201 IEMs (DM5) continue to improve. I'm now using an upgraded silver-plated copper cable and have found that I need to increase the volume on my Fiio A5 amplifier a couple of notches. I assume this is because the cable is higher impedance. This has smoothed out the treble and tightened the bass. Is this a known effect of a higher impedance cable? Layering is excellent, good for me because I enjoy electronic music where this is an important aspect. One other thing I have noticed is that as well as good width and depth in the soundstage, there is good height as well. I have not experienced this in an IEM before, I assume it's because of the semi-open design. I'm really enjoying my music on these, and after all, that's what it's all about!

I hate using foamies but have had to use them on the DM5/ET2201 due to the strident upper midrange. What is the impedance of the upgrade cable you are now using?
20180119_092537.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #14,684 of 33,689
I hate using foamies but have had to use them on the DM5/ET2201 due to the strident upper midrange. What is the impedance of the upgrade cable you are now using?
I'm afraid I have no idea! I'm just guessing that the reduction in volume I experienced was due to increased impedance. I have no measuring equipment. All my impressions are purely subjective, based on how things sound and noting any differences which occur when I change something. The impedance is not stated in the product description on Amazon, which is where I bought the cable. I found the pre-fitted tips excellent on my particular model, these may be different in your version of the DM5. I can't get on with foam tips at all. I usually switch to my favourite Spiral Dots but in this case it wasn't necessary.

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #14,685 of 33,689
On the subject of tips, I usually find that I prefer the sound of my IEMs when I use a tip where the bore matches the diameter of the inner nozzle, with no part of it being obscured. The sound tends to "breathe" more. The only real exception is with the Whizzer A15 pro where I use the KZ Starline tips. Using wide bore tips on these makes them sound a bit too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back