Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Nov 28, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #13,531 of 33,689

Thoughts on the Ostry KC09 after a few weeks, and a full burn in.

Shell: Lightweight, metal, and overall has good build. MMCX connectors are tight.

Cable.... Honestly, the thin sleeves make the cable too tangly. I hate it lol. Has hard twists already.

Synergy: The KC09 pairs better with neutral to bright sources. It's too warm if paired with warm sources like the X5iii or

Sound:
Paired with Pioneer XDP-30r, Single Ended, Stock Cable.

Bass: Good rumble and extension. Sub-bass is well controlled, and presents itself when needed. Mid bass has good impact and punch, but not hard-hitting. Overall, the bass has good body, control, and punch to give the sound some weight, dynamics, and fun. Quantity: Mid-bass > Sub bass.

Mids: Mids are forward, thick, and weighty which I would describe as lush. The upper mids has slightly more forwardness as compared to the lower mids, but overall presents itself with good balance. Even with the forward presentation, vocals are not too in your face. Good detail retrieval, and very very good tone and timbre. Doesn't sound shouty, grainy, or too thick (except with warm sources).

Highs: Highs are smooth, but surprisingly well-extended. No peaks here and there, and I don't hear any sibilance. While being smooth, it presents itself with good air and sparkle.

Resolution, detail retrieval: Even with the warm and forward character, the KC09 is DETAILED! It doesn't throw details in your face. but presents the sound in a musical way without lacking any detail.

Soundstage and imaging. Even with the forward presentation, instruments are well placed, and well separated with good width and depth with the vocals upfront. The KC09 DO NOT sound congested at all. It's mind-blowing for me. Not as wide as the CH9T though.

I need to get a balanced cable soon! Where's money when I want to. :frowning2:

I hope my mini review helps :D
Nice and detailed impressions , good work ,

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #13,532 of 33,689
My thoughts on BGVP's YSP04. Quick summary; great build, cool design, :poop: bass.

DSC01953.JPG DSC01954.JPG DSC01959.JPG

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #13,534 of 33,689

Thoughts on the Ostry KC09 after a few weeks, and a full burn in.

Shell: Lightweight, metal, and overall has good build. MMCX connectors are tight.

Cable.... Honestly, the thin sleeves make the cable too tangly. I hate it lol. Has hard twists already.

Synergy: The KC09 pairs better with neutral to bright sources. It's too warm if paired with warm sources like the X5iii or

Sound:
Paired with Pioneer XDP-30r, Single Ended, Stock Cable.

Bass: Good rumble and extension. Sub-bass is well controlled, and presents itself when needed. Mid bass has good impact and punch, but not hard-hitting. Overall, the bass has good body, control, and punch to give the sound some weight, dynamics, and fun. Quantity: Mid-bass > Sub bass.

Mids: Mids are forward, thick, and weighty which I would describe as lush. The upper mids has slightly more forwardness as compared to the lower mids, but overall presents itself with good balance. Even with the forward presentation, vocals are not too in your face. Good detail retrieval, and very very good tone and timbre. Doesn't sound shouty, grainy, or too thick (except with warm sources).

Highs: Highs are smooth, but surprisingly well-extended. No peaks here and there, and I don't hear any sibilance. While being smooth, it presents itself with good air and sparkle.

Resolution, detail retrieval: Even with the warm and forward character, the KC09 is DETAILED! It doesn't throw details in your face. but presents the sound in a musical way without lacking any detail.

Soundstage and imaging. Even with the forward presentation, instruments are well placed, and well separated with good width and depth with the vocals upfront. The KC09 DO NOT sound congested at all. It's mind-blowing for me. Not as wide as the CH9T though.

I need to get a balanced cable soon! Where's money when I want to. :frowning2:

I hope my mini review helps :D
Thanks for the first impressions! Just ordered these on AE yesterday, hopefully they don't get lost or held up in transit like my Topping NX2s.

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #13,535 of 33,689
chocolate frosting bass? sounds tasty
Wow I never really understood what that was supposed to be. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

PS: how does one get emoji into a post? I really like using ones like a wink, smile, hands on face, etc when posting to try to make sure nobody thinks my joke is serious. Way too easy to get misunderstood nowadays.

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #13,536 of 33,689
Wow I never really understood what that was supposed to be. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

PS: how does one get emoji into a post? I really like using ones like a wink, smile, hands on face, etc when posting to try to make sure nobody thinks my joke is serious. Way too easy to get misunderstood nowadays.

While you're typing a reply, there's a little smiley face in the top bar (where formatting is ie bold, underline, italics, link, blah blah)

:boot::bikini::left_facing_fist::laughing::robot::briefcase::closed_umbrella::older_man::ok_hand::heart_eyes_cat::dark_sunglasses::dizzy_face::bread::peanuts::pizza::popcorn::cherries::shallow_pan_of_food::shaved_ice::sweet_potato::fish_cake::tumbler_glass::boom::fire::rabbit::scorpion::hamster::gorilla::snake::horse::cloud_rain::ballot_box::alarm_clock::crystal_ball::mailbox_closed::battery::tools::toilet::timer::key::paperclip::hourglass:

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #13,537 of 33,689

It's actually a poop icon. If you hover your mouse over it it will tell you :p

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #13,538 of 33,689
It's actually a poop icon. If you hover your mouse over it it will tell you :p
Unfortunately Android doesn't really do mouse hover very well. But that's good to know. And I was joking in my response but as my PS: alluded without an emoji to make it clear someone could misunderstand me :triportsad: Luckily @Slater explained how to get them :gs1000smile:

Nov 28, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #13,539 of 33,689
Unfortunately Android doesn't really do mouse hover very well. But that's good to know. And I was joking in my response but as my PS: alluded without an emoji to make it clear someone could misunderstand me :triportsad: Luckily @Slater explained how to get them :gs1000smile:

haha, that is one of Android's weakest aspects.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #13,541 of 33,689
Tap and hold (you can release your finger after a second or two) usually equals hovering.
Usually is the magic phrase. A long tap or tap and hold as you call it in Android browsers gets you the left mouse (secondary mouse button) function. A long press over :poop: gives me poop.svg with the option to open or save file. Not quite helpful depending on the name of the graphic. But I can manage. Its drop down menus that can be tricky in Android. It really isn't possible to get the click, hold, wait for the menu to drop down then select operation to work. Best I can manage is click, let go, hope the lag in drawing the drop down menu isn't too long then tap again to make a selection before the menu goes away. Works for some sites fails for others.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #13,543 of 33,689
Usually is the magic phrase. A long tap or tap and hold as you call it in Android browsers gets you the left mouse (secondary mouse button) function. A long press over :poop: gives me poop.svg with the option to open or save file. Not quite helpful depending on the name of the graphic. But I can manage. Its drop down menus that can be tricky in Android. It really isn't possible to get the click, hold, wait for the menu to drop down then select operation to work. Best I can manage is click, let go, hope the lag in drawing the drop down menu isn't too long then tap again to make a selection before the menu goes away. Works for some sites fails for others.

Perhaps some devices are easier to handle than others - with my Nexus 7 (2nd generation) for example, the hovering gesture always works for me (press and hold, click away the popup to save the link etc. that can open, and then the list or whatever opens upon hovering remains opened). Also works that way on the Xiaomi Redmi 4A 4G I am currently testing (by the way a really feature-packed, fast and good phone for the price, although not ideal for high-end in-ears).

I don't know if it's any different in iOS - haven't used an iOS device for internet surfing in a very long time, but if I remember correctly, hovering was a little easier and you could just drag your finger across something in order for it to open.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #13,544 of 33,689
Nov 29, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #13,545 of 33,689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back