Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 16, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #11,521 of 33,689
I actually emailed LG a week or so ago and they said... Hang on I'll quote it exactly:

"Thank you for your query regarding the LG V30.

I have looked in to this for you and the V series of phones has never been released in the UK and Ireland due to the G series being so popular however at this moment in time the V30 is being advertised on the LG UK webstie although we still do not have a confirmed answer from our upper management on whether or not the phone is being released here. I would suggest keeping an eye on the new releases section of www.lg/com.uk for any updates. You could also try emailing cic.uk@lge.com for this."

Now, this is a weird answer for a few reasons, but the main one is the G series isn't popular in Ireland. It has a presence because some people import them, but they aren't on plans.

So... Who knows...

Fingers still crossed though.

Fingers crossed indeed. I'll mail LG about the Dutch situation as well. I'm curious if I will be getting the same answer more or less.

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #11,522 of 33,689
Fingers crossed indeed. I'll mail LG about the Dutch situation as well. I'm curious if I will be getting the same answer more or less.
If you find out anything please let me know with a tag :)

Sep 16, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #11,524 of 33,689
This probably isn't the exact place, but I'll ask anyway - can players really give any sound benefits over modern flagship smartphones? The measurements on Gsmarena are usually insanely good, but nevertheless people obsess even over cheap Chinese players like the Walnut and Zishan. Especially on some Russian sites. But if one believes the measurements, then the only thing such a player can give is extra power. The sound, if anything at all, could only be worse. Or am I in the wrong?

Gsmarena doesn't measure output impedance and maximum voltage. Both are significant when using high impedance and multi-driver IEM headphones. For IEMs(single driver), the smartphones are already good enough. But some smartphones like Xiaomi have very high IMD (~ 0.5%) which is audible. So, I can't make a blanket statement that all smartphones are good.

I do hear a small improvement in clarity in the treble frequencies when using FiiO X3 II than my smartphones. But, it requires so much focus to identify the difference that it may not be significant.

Also, I would skip obscure chinese DAP's without any independantly measured objective parameters.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #11,525 of 33,689
Really damn good DAPs are going to sound better because they're beefier and have space for better hardware, but these days most of the top phones are within 5% of them so it's not a big deal.

Sep 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #11,526 of 33,689
Sep 16, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #11,527 of 33,689
Sep 16, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #11,528 of 33,689
Gsmarena doesn't measure output impedance and maximum voltage. Both are significant when using high impedance and multi-driver IEM headphones. For IEMs(single driver), the smartphones are already good enough. But some smartphones like Xiaomi have very high IMD (~ 0.5%) which is audible. So, I can't make a blanket statement that all smartphones are good.

I do hear a small improvement in clarity in the treble frequencies when using FiiO X3 II than my smartphones. But, it requires so much focus to identify the difference that it may not be significant.

Also, I would skip obscure chinese DAP's without any independantly measured objective parameters.
What's a large impedance? Because even multi driver IEMs usually don't exceed 32ohms. Strange ear buds usually have insane impedances, but those aren't very popular.

Sep 16, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #11,529 of 33,689
What's a large impedance? Because even multi driver IEMs usually don't exceed 32ohms. Strange ear buds usually have insane impedances, but those aren't very popular.

Probably the most popular headphones in her right now, the HD6XX has a 300Ohms impedance.

As for multidriver IEM's they may react strangely to high output impedance from the source (phone).

Sep 16, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #11,531 of 33,689
Some older gear but good for somebody getting into this and wanting to find their signature

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grab-bag-of-budget-iems.860427/#post-13726365

for the uninitiated, that's a f#*k of a deal--there's some real gems on that list.

I agree. That's a steal for $100.

That Fahim Foysal kid that keeps asking about 'what IEM to buy for $100' should get this lot. He's bound to find things he likes in there. I'd hit him up Lurk.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #11,532 of 33,689
for the uninitiated, that's a f#*k of a deal--there's some real gems on that list.

Just realized that the Simgot is pictured there, whoever buys this can pay an extra $50 and get those. Everything must go! Lol

Now if somebody can just buy my AKG N40 and my M560.

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #11,533 of 33,689
Just realized that the Simgot is pictured there, whoever buys this can pay an extra $50 and get those. Everything must go! Lol

Now if somebody can just buy my AKG N40 and my M560.

Awww, I thought the Simgot was included :0(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back