Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 24, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #9,677 of 33,689
I have to agree with you. Apart from a slightly flabby bass and the memory wire they are fun as heck and the build quality is stellar. The airy treble is outstanding.

Agreed. Bass benefits from slight decrease via eq and the stock cable makes for a challenging fit for my ears. I've replaced it and the IEM fits unlike an OJ glove now.

Jun 25, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #9,678 of 33,689
Coupon "KZZS5" brings the price to $19.99. Unfortunately the coupon expired few days ago.

Cool. It will be on sale again. They have flash sales all of the time. Probably be a dollar or two cheaper next time as well.

Jun 25, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #9,680 of 33,689
So is the LZ A4 still the king of this segment or is there a new kid in town?
For myself, some are better for certain situations but the A4 still amazes me with it's ability to sound smooth and engaging while picking up details the others often miss. I've not heard the P1 though so can't comment on that.

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #9,681 of 33,689
Fwiw my Magosi K3 HD will arrive tomorrow so we'll see soon how they hold up against the A4's :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #9,686 of 33,689
Edit: given that the balanced plug is a 3.5mm male

Yes, you'll need a adapter to use it with your phone. Venture Electronics got some cheap ones.

The difference between 2.5mm and 3.5mm is the plug size :wink:

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #9,687 of 33,689
Hey um just a question, do I need a special adapter for my phone if an earphone uses a balanced cable?? And what are the differences between a 3.5mm and 2.5mm balanced trrs?

You will need a TRRS to TRS adapter in order to use with a normal jack. As @peter123 said VE makes some inexpensive and reasonably reliable ones that anyone who's going to get started with balanced should order. The main thing to keep in mind about 2.5mm TRRS vs 3.5mm TRRS is different companies support different balanced jacks. Hifiman is probably the main company that uses 3.5mm, where 2.5mm is more commonly used by Astell & Kern, Opus, etc.

There are also other alternatives like the ALO/RSA jack, the 2 jack setup that Pono uses, mini XLR, full sized 4 pin XLR, Dual XLR, plus I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #9,688 of 33,689
Ok, cool. Balanced cable stays the same regardless of plug size.

Now say I order a VE Monk+ with a balanced 3.5mm plug running off my phone, the balanced cable will work(and differ from an unbalanced cable) the way they are supposed to from any kinda audio out 3.5mm jack?

Also 5$ extra isn't much but is it just the novelty of it being balanced and slightly better separation between two channels making people choose a balanced cable? Because I doubt I'd be able to hear much difference especially if I'm out in public because let's be honest you don't buy the Monks for home use being powered by your tube amp that also serves as your heater in your house that's also coincidentally an isolated Anechoic chamber, you use them on the commute or on the streets and what not. But I guess it is kinda neat.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #9,689 of 33,689
Another thing to keep in mind about Bal vs SE is some sources have increased power for balanced. AK's bluetooth dongle the XB10 for example has twice the power for balanced than single ended.

Also, in order to listen to that balanced Monk+, you'd either need an appropriate balanced jack or an adapter.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #9,690 of 33,689
Ok, cool. Balanced cable stays the same regardless of plug size.

Now say I order a VE Monk+ with a balanced 3.5mm plug running off my phone, the balanced cable will work(and differ from an unbalanced cable) the way they are supposed to from any kinda audio out 3.5mm jack?

Also 5$ extra isn't much but is it just the novelty of it being balanced and slightly better separation between two channels making people choose a balanced cable? Because I doubt I'd be able to hear much difference especially if I'm out in public because let's be honest you don't buy the Monks for home use being powered by your tube amp that also serves as your heater in your house that's also coincidentally an isolated Anechoic chamber, you use them on the commute or on the streets and what not. But I guess it is kinda neat.

Typical listen room of HF members

Anechoic-1-650x5131.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back