Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 26, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #9,691 of 33,689
Another thing to keep in mind about Bal vs SE is some sources have increased power for balanced. AK's bluetooth dongle the XB10 for example has twice the power for balanced than single ended.

Also, in order to listen to that balanced Monk+, you'd either need an appropriate balanced jack or an adapter.
So if I just plugged the 3.5mm balanced plug into my phone it would be the same as an unbalanced?

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #9,692 of 33,689
Does your phone have a 3.5mm TRRS jack, wired as all 4 pins for audio out (L+, L-, R+, R-), or for stereo audio and Mic (GND, L+, R+, Mic)?

If it's wired for stereo audio and Mic, you will only get sound from one earpiece, depending on how the balanced plug is wired.

You probably won't hurt anything, if you try it.

Jun 26, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #9,695 of 33,689
First - Which 3.5mm TRRS pin-out is being used for the plug on your Balanced earbuds?
Once you know that, it's fairly easy to create an adapter cable to connect them to a Single-Ended 3.5mm phone jack.

Most phones (Apple / CTIA) with a 3.5mm TRRS jack use:
Tip = L+
Ring1 = R+
Ring2 = GND
Sleeve = Mic

However, there are several different 3.5mm TRRS pinouts for Balanced earphone outputs:

7402425.png

Jun 26, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #9,696 of 33,689
First - Which 3.5mm TRRS pin-out is being used for the plug on your Balanced earbuds?
Once you know that, it's fairly easy to create an adapter cable to connect them to a Single-Ended 3.5mm phone jack.

Most phones (Apple / CTIA) with a 3.5mm TRRS jack use:
Tip = L+
Ring1 = R+
Ring2 = GND
Sleeve = Mic

However, there are several different 3.5mm TRRS pinouts for Balanced earphone outputs:

7402425.png
You would think they would all be the same. So when ordering earbuds and the like you have to order it a certain way or just re-terminate yourself?

Jun 26, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #9,697 of 33,689
I'll try a balanced cable in an android and an iphone for you after work. Although there's not much reason to do it except maybe
you could be using them balanced and then shove it in your phone as you walk out the door.

Jun 26, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #9,699 of 33,689
For all KZ ZS5 owners out there who wants to make it's sound less U or V sahpe, here's an easy fix. I've been experimenting with tips rolling on the ZS5 for a while now and for those who yearn for a more neutral and balanced sound (which is not as U or V shaped) with very clear detailed mids from their ZS5, use the Comply T400 tips...and the next tip is very important...Use Comply T400 tips one size smaller than your normal size eg. my tips size is L but I use size M instead. Due to the nature of Comply foam tips, one size smaller tips still fit snugly for my ears and I no longer need to roll the tips between my fingers to make them smaller before insertion. This combi works superbly for me, the high frequency peaks are no longer there and the low frequencies are now tamed quite a bit and is actually tighter without the blooming/wooly bass effect. Mids are now very detailed and up front, percussive instruments have better transient attack and I'm actually very surprised with the ZS5 with this combi and I can now confidently say that it sounds as good or even better than many $100+ IEMs out there. I think I've finally found the perfect tips for me to pair with the ZS5 :)

PS: The one size smaller Comply T400 actually attenuates the excessive bloat of the ZS5 and therefore result in a more controlled and tight bass yet retaining the low end extension, right down to 20Hz actually. It also attenuates the high frequency peaks and make the the ZS5 sound smoother yet retaining the high frequency extension. Due to the attenuation on both ends of the frequency spectrum, the ZS5 no longer sound bloated at the bottom and neither does it sound sibilant up top anymore....better still, the mids now become much more clearer and detailed because of the attenuation on both ends therefore the ZS5 does not sound as V shaped as the ZS5 paired with the stock tips. Percussive instruments' transient attack is therefore more prominet with a fast and snappy attack. This by far is the best sounding configuration of the ZS5 for me. Oh btw, this method does not apply to those who particularly like V shaped, nor bass-head level sound signature. This method only applies to those who loves a more balanced, more detailed and less V shaped sound signature. YMMV.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #9,700 of 33,689
For all KZ ZS5 owners out there who wants to make it's sound less U or V sahpe, here's an easy fix. I've been experimenting with tips rolling on the ZS5 for a while now and for those who yearn for a more neutral and balanced sound (which is not as U or V shaped) with very clear detailed mids from their ZS5, use the Comply T400 tips...and the next tip is very important...Use Comply T400 tips one size smaller than your normal size eg. my tips size is L but I use size M instead. Due to the nature of Comply foam tips, one size smaller tips still fit snugly for my ears and I no longer need to roll the tips between my fingers to make them smaller before insertion. This combi works superbly for me, the high frequency peaks are no longer there and the low frequencies are now tamed quite a bit and is actually tighter without the blooming/wooly bass effect. Mids are now very detailed and up front, percussive instruments have better transient attack and I'm actually very surprised with the ZS5 with this combi and I can now confidently say that it sounds as good or even better than many $100+ IEMs out there. I think I've finally found the perfect tips for me to pair with the ZS5 :)

PS: The one size smaller Comply T400 actually attenuates the excessive bloat of the ZS5 and therefore result in a more controlled and tight bass yet retaining the low end extension, right down to 20Hz actually. It also attenuates the high frequency peaks and make the the ZS5 sound smoother yet retaining the high frequency extension. Due to the attenuation on both ends of the frequency spectrum, the ZS5 no longer sound bloated at the bottom and neither does it sound sibilant up top anymore....better still, the mids now become much more clearer and detailed because of the attenuation on both ends therefore the ZS5 does not sound as V shaped as the ZS5 paired with the stock tips. Percussive instruments' transient attack is therefore more prominet with a fast and snappy attack. This by far is the best sounding configuration of the ZS5 for me. Oh btw, this method does not apply to those who particularly like V shaped, nor bass-head level sound signature. This method only applies to those who loves a more balanced, more detailed and less V shaped sound signature. YMMV.
This works for pretty much any earphone. Using a smaller tip means you don't get a full seal so bass is reduced, which can be a good thing for certain IEMs. It also generally makes the overall sound thinner, including the mids.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #9,702 of 33,689
This works for pretty much any earphone. Using a smaller tip means you don't get a full seal so bass is reduced, which can be a good thing for certain IEMs. It also generally makes the overall sound thinner, including the mids.
Yes, that's the whole idea because the ZS5 has quite an accentuated bloomy bass and high frequency peaks to my ears. The mids however sound more prominent instead of thinner due to the attenuation of the lows and the highs. YMMV depending on how the Comply T400 (one size smaller) fits in your ear. Mine fits perfectly without having to compress them first before insertion. Please let me know your results after you actually try it with your ZS5. You might also want to try this with your ZST since many claim that the ZS5 sounds very similar to the ZST.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #9,703 of 33,689
Jun 27, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #9,705 of 33,689
This combi works superbly for me, the high frequency peaks are no longer there and the low frequencies are now tamed quite a bit and is actually tighter without the blooming/wooly bass effect. Mids are now very detailed and up front, percussive instruments have better transient attack and I'm actually very surprised with the ZS5 with this combi and I can now confidently say that it sounds as good or even better than many $100+ IEMs out there. I think I've finally found the perfect tips for me to pair with the ZS5 :)

This is interesting as I never use anything other than foam eartips, usually comply, and I've never felt that the ZS5's bass was bloated. I have a problem with silicone eartips irritating my ears after 20mins or so.

With reviewing so many earphone I thought it best to be consistent with the eartips so that I'm evaluating the earphones and not the seal between the eartip and my ear canal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back