Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Apr 4, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #7,846 of 33,689

http://www.head-fi.org/t/843190/the-7-cubu-earbud#post_13396620

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #7,847 of 33,689
  So I've been waiting to pull the trigger on the memt x5 for a few weeks(the hype seemed so real!) but recent user reviews have me rethinking that, especially with all the issues with cable noise.  I use my IEMs to walk to work and often make calls so the cable noise is a no go.  

Any other recommendations in that price point?  I need them to come with a mic.  I've owned a few asian headphones and my faves were the piston 2s, and the Z0A3s.  Unforuntely both headphones broke with in   7-8 months of use.

Don't let the microphonics from the X5 cable scare you away from what's otherwise a really nice in-ear. On the suggestion of another member, I switched L&R and am wearing them up and the wires over and behind the ear. The microphonics are much improved, and only noticeable at low volumes.

I do this with my Xiaomi Pro HD, although the reason is to get deeper insertion not because of microphonics.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #7,848 of 33,689
Don't let the microphonics from the X5 cable scare you away from what's otherwise a really nice in-ear. On the suggestion of another member, I switched L&R and am wearing them up and the wires over and behind the ear. The microphonics are much improved, and only noticeable at low volumes.

I do this with my Xiaomi Pro HD, although the reason is to get deeper insertion not because of microphonics.
How would you say the Xiaomi's are compared to the X5's?

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #7,849 of 33,689
So, I've been going through this and other budget/Chinese IEM threads for the past couple days and I can't make heads or tails of it. I've been googling model after model, and I can't quite decide what I want to try. Can anyone give me any suggestions for what the latest "absolute best" model is, preferably with a balanced non-fatiguing sound?

I've been looking at various KZ and tennmak models, but they each have so many that's hard to figure what's the latest and greatest.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #7,850 of 33,689
So, I've been going through this and other budget/Chinese IEM threads for the past couple days and I can't make heads or tails of it. I've been googling model after model, and I can't quite decide what I want to try. Can anyone give me any suggestions for what the latest "absolute best" model is, preferably with a balanced non-fatiguing sound?

I've been looking at various KZ and tennmak models, but they each have so many that's hard to figure what's the latest and greatest.

A lot will depend on your budget?

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #7,851 of 33,689
I'm all over the place. On one hand I'd like to try out some of the really cheap stuff, just to see what they're capable of.

On the other hand the LZ-a4 and Magaosi k3 Pro both are heavily intriguing, being 3 driver hybrids and full of value. Neither the lz-a4 nor the k3 can be had at lower prices domestically, and it seams that gearbest has some of the models discussed in this thread shipped domestically.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #7,853 of 33,689
I heard that k3 hd is about to go out, maybe you should wait for them?
For under 150$, I think the sendiy m1221 is rather good at it job of being a jack of all trade: it plays everything almost equally well, it sounds acceptable with bad source (straight out of the phone, for example) and still benefits quite a lot from good amping, it's pretty small and lightweight, and fit is good and so is the isolation,the tuning filter actually do something, and it's durability is...well tested, in my case. Chewed on and vomitted back out by a dog? Nah, cleaned it and then it still works fine (But then, my foam tips didn't survive that ordeal :<) . Get dropped and then dragged on the dirt? No problem, still works. It has a very mild u-shape taste to it that lean heavily on neutral side quite still remaining tasteful. Compare to the 1 dynamic driver P1,  it's a tad less bright and a lot less sibilance prone. Soundstage is impressive on both of them, through I think the P1 sound sig is uniquely suited for acoustic music, especially classical. Electric guitar just doesn't sound..right out of the P1.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #7,854 of 33,689
I'm all over the place. On one hand I'd like to try out some of the really cheap stuff, just to see what they're capable of.

On the other hand the LZ-a4 and Magaosi k3 Pro both are heavily intriguing, being 3 driver hybrids and full of value. Neither the lz-a4 nor the k3 can be had at lower prices domestically, and it seams that gearbest has some of the models discussed in this thread shipped domestically.

Well I don't own the Lz A4 or the Magaosi k3, so can not comment, but they review well around here. I do own the MEE Pinnacle P1's and I have to say they are extremely good for the money in my opinion. (Take a look at the dedicated thread on them). They are a single DD (dont let that put you off!)

On the budget side, the MEMT x5 is a bit hyped here, I own it and like it (bit bassy, with recessed mids), but it certainly isn't balanced. Out of the budget IEM's i've tried I like the Tennmak Pianos (excellent sub bass, lacking a bit of treble sparkle) and the Tennmak Pro's.   

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #7,855 of 33,689
  I heard that k3 hd is about to go out, maybe you should wait for them?
For under 150$, I think the sendiy m1221 is rather good at it job of being a jack of all trade: it plays everything almost equally well, it sounds acceptable with bad source (straight out of the phone, for example) and still benefits quite a lot from good amping, it's pretty small and lightweight, and fit is good and so is the isolation,the tuning filter actually do something, and it's durability is...well tested, in my case. Chewed on and vomitted back out by a dog? Nah, cleaned it and then it still works fine (But then, my foam tips didn't survive that ordeal :<) . Get dropped and then dragged on the dirt? No problem, still works. It has a very mild u-shape taste to it that lean heavily on neutral side quite still remaining tasteful. Compare to the 1 dynamic driver P1,  it's a tad less bright and a lot less sibilance prone. Soundstage is impressive on both of them, through I think the P1 sound sig is uniquely suited for acoustic music, especially classical. Electric guitar just doesn't sound..right out of the P1.

I've heard the 'electric guitar thing doesn't sound good on the P1's', here before, I think it must depend on what style of music? I can see for metal or heavy guitar maybe, but for what I listen to they still sound awesome. (Listen to some Joe Bonamassa in Rock Candy Funk Party) 

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #7,856 of 33,689
  On the budget side, the MEMT x5 is a bit hyped here, I own it and like it (bit bassy, with recessed mids), but it certainly isn't balanced. Out of the budget IEM's i've tried I like the Tennmak Pianos (excellent sub bass, lacking a bit of treble sparkle) and the Tennmak Pro's.

I'm sorry to hear the X5's aren't up to your expectations. This website is a gamble indeed. I hope I feel differently about mine, but I hate recessed mids. :frowning2: I also ordered the Somic v4's based on some good reviews, but there are also bad ones. The unique look is cool so if they suck, I guess it isn't too bad, I can hang them as an ornament. Lol.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #7,857 of 33,689

On the suggestion of another member, I switched L&R and am wearing them up and the wires over and behind the ear. The microphonics are much improved, and only noticeable at low volumes.

Did you switch the L and R sides? How does that affect the sound? I was always wondering why things were labeled L and R and here you go and do your own thing.

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #7,859 of 33,689
  I'm sorry to hear the X5's aren't up to your expectations. This website is a gamble indeed. I hope I feel differently about mine, but I hate recessed mids. :frowning2: I also ordered the Somic v4's based on some good reviews, but there are also bad ones. The unique look is cool so if they suck, I guess it isn't too bad, I can hang them as an ornament. Lol.

They definitely do not suck! They are however, very tip dependent (annoying as it has a small nozzle so limits tip selection), for example with triple flanges they just did not sound right at all for me, far too dark. I am sure you will like them, they are fun to listen to! 

Apr 4, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #7,860 of 33,689

Save your money, buy a pair of Einsear T2 or Urbanfun Hifi and see how they suit you.

If you do feel the need to upgrade you'll have only spent $10 - $15 and would have a decent sounding back up pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back