Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jan 11, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #4,861 of 33,689
  Just for the thrill of the auction I got the Hidizs ep-3 and received it yesterday. Not really impressed - for $15 shipped they are not that bad given the decent over-the-ear fit and mic but sq-wise the mids are pushed backed, the bass lacks some body and the treble is quite emphasized, which paired with the thin note presentation makes the ep-3 quite bright and shrill at times. These are early impressions and maybe with some more tip rolling I can get a bit better sound but definitely not worth the full price with that build quality and sq.

I have the EP-3 and I find too that the bass lacks body and mids are a bit thin. Resolution is good though and personally I don't find the treble emphasized but probably stands out a bit more due to thin lower end.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #4,862 of 33,689
@bjaardker I have continued to listen to the DT-05 almost exclusively since I received them and agree with your thoughts on these.  I really wanted to love these as they look so great.  I realized that these really weren't the best for the music I was listening to.  I spent my teens in the early 70s and listened to hard rock bands like Deep Purple and ACDC.  I had none of this music on my X5 so I loaded  some on a couple of days ago and have been loving it.  There is no sparkly treble in this music, just big sound with lots of bass and DT-05 excels at this.  Here is few tracks to try.

Deep Purple - Child in Time
                     - Highway Star
ADDC           - Back in Black

for something more current

Nickelback   - Never Again

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #4,863 of 33,689
  I have the EP-3 and I find too that the bass lacks body and mids are a bit thin. Resolution is good though and personally I don't find the treble emphasized but probably stands out a bit more due to thin lower end.

The issue is not too bothersome on certain tracks, but on some, especially with female vocals it's quite bothersome. Resolution is nothing special though IMO - it's the usual case of the manufacturer making an iem brighter and with thinner note presentation to artificially increase the clarity to try to make is sound more resolving, but this leads to an artificial sound. It's not an awful iem if one can get it at 15 bucks and likes a brighter tuning but at the full MSRP, which is 40 bucks there are iems that wipe the floor with it.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #4,864 of 33,689
What do i get if i want something that sounds like the KZ ZST but is less prone to sibilance and has more tight midbass, but retains the clarity, seperation and positional accuracy / soundstage?

Currently waiting for the alleged ZSR pro which has the bonus of having the look of a CA IEM.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #4,865 of 33,689
  What do i get if i want something that sounds like the KZ ZST but is less prone to sibilance and has more tight midbass, but retains the clarity seperation and positional accuracy / soundstage?

haven't noticed any sibilance myself but you may have to start spending more cash. the Ty HiZ G3 are a great option for soundstage, bass and clarity or the Vsonic VSD3s.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #4,866 of 33,689

haven't noticed any sibilance myself but you may have to start spending more cash. the Ty HiZ G3 are a great option for soundstage, bass and clarity or the Vsonic VSD3s.

There isnt any by default, but it reveals bad recordings, which is why im saying it's prone to it. A good chunk of my metal collection has this problem, which i can live with as the ZST just sound really good but i'm sure that there's probably better stuff out there, the question is what should i be looking at if i want a substantial upgrade from the ZST?

Probably gonna wait for the ZSR first as that's after chinese new years, which is jan28.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #4,867 of 33,689
Just for those who constantly buy cheap Chinese iem.

2017 New **** XBA-6in1 Hybrid iem (Sony look-like), 1DD + 2BA.  Price: ~$30
Drivers: Graphene diagram DD + Knowles 26856(full range) + Knowles 30042(high frequency)
Impedance: 32 ohm
Sensitivity: 120dB
FR: 15-35000Hz
Max. input: 8mW
Matching: <1dB
No guarantee how it sounds.

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #4,868 of 33,689

Drivers: Graphene diagram DD + Knowles 26856(full range) + Knowles 30042(high frequency)

Nice! Might be time for me to try out a **** product. Those on Taobao? Didn't see them on Ali.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #4,871 of 33,689

Going to let others take the plunge on this first after getting burned on the first bad batch of DT2+

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #4,872 of 33,689
For less than $20 IEM, I listen to different kind of music everytime, from classic, jazz, rock, folk, edm, indie, to movie soundtrack like La La Land. So I need an IEM that could fit any occasions like them, an allrounder one. I prefer to those with more detail though. So, is there any recommandation I should looking to?

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #4,873 of 33,689
What do i get if i want something that sounds like the KZ ZST but is less prone to sibilance and has more tight midbass, but retains the clarity, seperation and positional accuracy / soundstage?

Currently waiting for the alleged ZSR pro which has the bonus of having the look of a CA IEM.

You should try the Xiaomi Hybrid HD Pro (Gen 5), they have great separation and clarity. the bass is defined and not too overwhelming as other IEMs. :)

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #4,874 of 33,689
For less than $20 IEM, I listen to different kind of music everytime, from classic, jazz, rock, folk, edm, indie, to movie soundtrack like La La Land. So I need an IEM that could fit any occasions like them, an allrounder one. I prefer to those with more detail though. So, is there any recommandation I should looking to?

For about half that price on gearbest the Superlux HD381F is a great detailed all rounder but perhaps not too suited for EDM as it's quite flat/neutral sounding and the driver is a bit slow.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #4,875 of 33,689

Urbanfun, ~17USD on Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back