Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jan 18, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #32,851 of 33,689
Reading your description, it's kind of like how I would describe the Starfields. Would you say they have a lot of familiarity enough to suggest the BD005 Pro for people who want the Starfield on the cheap?
Starfield is not really a V shape, it's more Harmanish but a bit lacking on the treble

Jan 18, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #32,852 of 33,689
In past couple of years I've bought few dozen cheap iem's from aliexpress. By cheap I mean stuff that usually cost less than two euros. My wife likes to watch movies on her phone and she often falls a sleep still wearing the iem's. Of course she breaks tons of those, like one set a month. I always test her iem's and of course 1-2€ iem's always suck. Until today that is! I've actually found 1,19€ iem that sounds pretty "good". Just to clarify it was 1,19€ with free shipping so real price was not hidden in shipping costs.

€ 0,49 35%OFF | In-Ear Weight Subwoofer Earplugs Cord Earphone Wiring For iPhone For Xiaomi/Samsung For Android Phone High Quality
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPKDxcV

I'm sorry if these have been mentioned before. It is difficult to do a search for a unbranded iem.

Build quality is what one expects for the price. Cheap brittle plastic,stiff non detachable cable, nozzle filter is metal which is not always the case in this price range. Iem's came with one set of silicone tips that were too large for me, no box or other accessories. Play/pause button works, I did not test if mic works. There is alot of driver flex on one side, none on the other. There is a large vent at the back so these leak sound quite a bit. There are better built iem's for the money but this is not the worst either.

Main thing that makes these different from other ultra budget iem's is clarity. With most $2 iem's one could not tell if drivers were installed upside down, some sound like there is not even a hole in the nozzle. These things sound normal, which is of course a high compliment here.

There is quite a bit bass but not excessively. I would prefer less because both housing and drivers seem to struggle with bass heavy music on loud volumes. Sometimes it sounds like driver might even get detached. Bass often becomes honky.

Midrange is nicely balanced, it suits my preferences better than most more expensive iem's that tend to boost upper mids too much.

What is also surprising is how well balanced treble is. There are no major peaks which is a problem with way too many iem's. It has kind of paper like timbre which makes it bit weird.

Soundstage is not the biggest but it would be perfectly acceptable for a $50 iem. There is actual debth and imaging. Some $2 iem's are wired mono so I'm more than happy with this performance.

If the housing was more rugged these could perhaps be quite good. Too often brittle plastic enclosure starts audibly resonating masking alot of detail. There is quite a bit of audible distortion too but im not sure if it's from the driver or something else.

It's been a while since I heard Sony mh755 but from what I recall Sony's are better. Those are atleast three times more expensive so no surprise there. I also have qkz ck5 somewhere but could not find those. Again going by memory I think qkz would sound better, but I think thats like $5 iem so different price category again :)

So if you're in the market for new iem's with VERY limited budget these unbranded iem's are worth considering. :)

IMG_20210118_201328.jpg
IMG_20210118_201158.jpg

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #32,853 of 33,689
Hi, a small review on the Kinera BD005 Pro:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kinera-bd005-pro.24907/reviews#item-review-25148

TLDR:

Pros

Beautiful shells, light and well fitting.
Good isolation.
Safe non fatiguing tuning, coherent V shape set.
Easy to drive.
2 pin connector – generally better lifespan than MMCX.

Cons:
Notes may have a lack of bite/edge definition (may be pro or con depending on personal taste).
Technicalities not class leading.
Roll off at higher treble may not appeal to trebleheads, but this is not that fatiguing as such.
I don't care about your small review, that photo has me sold. :wink: Wowee.

BTW, Do you have any Audio Pron Instagram account? I think you need one... :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #32,854 of 33,689
In past couple of years I've bought few dozen cheap iem's from aliexpress. By cheap I mean stuff that usually cost less than two euros. My wife likes to watch movies on her phone and she often falls a sleep still wearing the iem's. Of course she breaks tons of those, like one set a month. I always test her iem's and of course 1-2€ iem's always suck. Until today that is! I've actually found 1,19€ iem that sounds pretty "good". Just to clarify it was 1,19€ with free shipping so real price was not hidden in shipping costs.

€ 0,49 35%OFF | In-Ear Weight Subwoofer Earplugs Cord Earphone Wiring For iPhone For Xiaomi/Samsung For Android Phone High Quality
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPKDxcV

I'm sorry if these have been mentioned before. It is difficult to do a search for a unbranded iem.

Build quality is what one expects for the price. Cheap brittle plastic,stiff non detachable cable, nozzle filter is metal which is not always the case in this price range. Iem's came with one set of silicone tips that were too large for me, no box or other accessories. Play/pause button works, I did not test if mic works. There is alot of driver flex on one side, none on the other. There is a large vent at the back so these leak sound quite a bit. There are better built iem's for the money but this is not the worst either.

Main thing that makes these different from other ultra budget iem's is clarity. With most $2 iem's one could not tell if drivers were installed upside down, some sound like there is not even a hole in the nozzle. These things sound normal, which is of course a high compliment here.

There is quite a bit bass but not excessively. I would prefer less because both housing and drivers seem to struggle with bass heavy music on loud volumes. Sometimes it sounds like driver might even get detached. Bass often becomes honky.

Midrange is nicely balanced, it suits my preferences better than most more expensive iem's that tend to boost upper mids too much.

What is also surprising is how well balanced treble is. There are no major peaks which is a problem with way too many iem's. It has kind of paper like timbre which makes it bit weird.

Soundstage is not the biggest but it would be perfectly acceptable for a $50 iem. There is actual debth and imaging. Some $2 iem's are wired mono so I'm more than happy with this performance.

If the housing was more rugged these could perhaps be quite good. Too often brittle plastic enclosure starts audibly resonating masking alot of detail. There is quite a bit of audible distortion too but im not sure if it's from the driver or something else.

It's been a while since I heard Sony mh755 but from what I recall Sony's are better. Those are atleast three times more expensive so no surprise there. I also have qkz ck5 somewhere but could not find those. Again going by memory I think qkz would sound better, but I think thats like $5 iem so different price category again :)

So if you're in the market for new iem's with VERY limited budget these unbranded iem's are worth considering. :)

I love small budget buds.
Recently I bought Kinera TYR and for the price is not a bad.
The next pair that really surprised me was RY20. This model have V-shape sound signature. Very small shell is ideal for sleeping.
And since I'm a fan of "exoticnix" drivers, I had to put together a model for myself with a 48ohm Ti 10mm driver.

Jan 18, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #32,855 of 33,689
Reading your description, it's kind of like how I would describe the Starfields. Would you say they have a lot of familiarity enough to suggest the BD005 Pro for people who want the Starfield on the cheap?

Sorry I have never tried the Starfield, so you might want to check in with the rest. In general I try not to compare single DD types (eg Starfield) with hybrids like the BD005 Pro, cause the former (single DD) generally have better timbre whereas the latter generally have poorer timbre but might have better technicalities. Though sometimes budget hybrids do suffer from coherency or crossover issues. There's exceptions of course, but I would doubt the BD005 Pro can beat the Starfield in timbre, so they are probably more complimentary to suit different music genres, rather than competing IEMs.

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #32,856 of 33,689
Just arrived : CCA CS16 and KBEAR BElieve.
IMG_20210119_103927.jpg
IMG_20210119_104014.jpg

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #32,857 of 33,689
Starfield is not really a V shape, it's more Harmanish but a bit lacking on the treble
Isn't Harman basically a very specific kind of V shape?

Sorry I have never tried the Starfield, so you might want to check in with the rest. In general I try not to compare single DD types (eg Starfield) with hybrids like the BD005 Pro, cause the former (single DD) generally have better timbre whereas the latter generally have poorer timbre but might have better technicalities. Though sometimes budget hybrids do suffer from coherency or crossover issues. There's exceptions of course, but I would doubt the BD005 Pro can beat the Starfield in timbre, so they are probably more complimentary to suit different music genres, rather than competing IEMs.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks anyway!

I'm not so sure on Starfield's timbre. I find it too warm and relaxed to consider it accurate.

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #32,858 of 33,689
Somewhat a mild V imo, but since now it is somewhat established as a target, calling the earphone according to the target it derived from has been the norm for many people

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #32,859 of 33,689

Ah, gotcha. Thanks anyway!

I'm not so sure on Starfield's timbre. I find it too warm and relaxed to consider it accurate.

If you find the Starfield warm, you should definitely stay away from the Believe or Final's E5000 :wink:. I agree that it is pretty relaxed though.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #32,860 of 33,689
Somewhat a mild V imo, but since now it is somewhat established as a target, calling the earphone according to the target it derived from has been the norm for many people
Noted, cheers!

If you find the Starfield warm, you should definitely stay away from the Believe or Final's E5000 :wink:. I agree that it is pretty relaxed though.
I was really interested in the Believe because I enjoyed the Diamond so much! But then I read about the need for amping, and it curbed my enthusiasm lol

I use dongles every now and then (the UA1 is a happy find!) but having to use them is a different story entirely..

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #32,861 of 33,689
Noted, cheers!

I was really interested in the Believe because I enjoyed the Diamond so much! But then I read about the need for amping, and it curbed my enthusiasm lol

I use dongles every now and then (the UA1 is a happy find!) but having to use them is a different story entirely..

Believes do pretty well out of an LG phone imo. You get more staging presence from a dedicated amp and dac, but its not as big as say, the E5000. I don't think you would really like these though if you find the Starfields too warm. The Believes are warmer still. I find them to be in a really great timbre spot that is sweet to my ears, but note thickness is more than the Starfields.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #32,864 of 33,689
For my first ever published review here on head-fi, I felt that it should be the QKZ VK4 - the IEM that introduced me to this wonderful world of feeling happy and contented with new gear and the always-present itch to acquire, just because there's always something new that would change the world as we know it.

The Gateway Drug to the Never-Ending Rabbit Hole

Pros: Smooth and organic sounding
Big and boomy bass
Mids are awesome for their price
Very comfortable
VERY CHEAP!!!

Cons: Early treble roll-off
Maybe too much bass
Technicalities

Introduction:

At 9 USD, this is the second-cheapest IEM with removable cables (EDX is cheapest at 6 USD). This was the first-ever “earphones” I bought, if I don’t include the atrocious Xiaomi Airdots.

A plasticky, candy-colored shell started it all – and the rest was history. Here’s my take on the much-acclaimed, legendary QKZ VK4…

IMG_20210122_115338.jpg

These were plugged to my phones (Oppo Reno 4, iPhone 5s) and laptop (Asus X409). I still do not have a dedicated DAC/Amp and thus cannot test scalability with more power but I am considering buying an Apple Dongle and/or a cheap amplifier (Topping NX1s).

Build and comfort: Typical universal CIEM shape, reminiscent of some of KZ’s offerings, which is understandable as from what I’ve read, they are sister companies. Definitely “cheap-feeling” – light, toy-like, but with a wonderful advantage. Due to the plastic-build, they disappear in your ears. Cable’s serviceable – typical cheap stock cable (plasticky, tangly, and sticky). I switched to a 4 USD JCally 8-core cable.

----------
I feel like I’ve used the word "typical" quite a few times, and all of that ends here. Sound is what sets these apart from the rest.
----------

I’ve had these for quite a few months now, and while I am still skeptical in burn-in, I can tell that these improve over time, in that it became smoother and more controlled.

Sound:

Bass –
Goes deep. Bassheads will like this. Lots of quantity, a bit more boom than oomph. These are engaging, without reaching fatigue-territory. However, it isn’t the most tight or detailed. So, there’s that.

Mids – Organic and smooth as butter. Placed right smack in the middle. Not overly recessed where you have to focus/pinpoint just to hear it. It’s also not that elevated where you wince every now and then when things start to get shouty. It’s placed just right. Definitely influenced by the bass, having this warmish sound to it.

Highs – Previously had this peak that was annoying in some songs but disappeared over time. If you’re a treblehead, these aren’t for you. They’re not extended, a bit splashy, and aren’t detailed. However, for it’s purpose, these do the job. Just enough to provide a bit of sparkle in my life.

Timbre – I still don’t know how to fully describe timbre. I am a hobby musician, playing quite a few instruments, and to my ears, nothing sounds wrong with these.

Soundstage and Imaging – Definitely not like earbuds, which extend to the nether but aren’t congested as well. I’d say decent. Panning sounds aren’t that defined, where you feel like your head is spinning with the song (listened to 40 Layers for this), but they manage and get stuff done.

Separation – Does the job. However, due to the elevated bass, instruments don’t have that much space to move, which tend to sound congested in complex tracks.

Detail-retrieval – Due to the smooth mids and slightly early rolled-off treble, these end in the relaxed listen rather than critical listen. They do sometimes show here and there, but usually non-existent.

Conclusion:

These started it all for me and if I didn’t buy these, I wouldn’t have known the audio world. They have a special place in my heart and I won’t ever let go of these. A 9 USD IEM that graphs surprisingly similar to the 64Audio N8 Universal, Moondrop Starfield, and the AKG N5005 – what more can you ask for?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #32,865 of 33,689
I love my Moondrop Blessing 2's. But I have a dilemma, I let my mom try them and she's addicted, it's adorable. I haven't seen her so happy since my father passed. Basically, she wants to buy them off of me and since I would have to wait for a new pair she said I could get anything under $350. What do I do????? Do I go for the 2 pair method and get something like the Penon Orb or BGVP ArtMagic vg4 and the iBassoIT00? Do I go with the BGVP DM8? Can I buy the Unique Melody 3d Terminator anywhere online? Basically I can't take it back at this point and not feel like a total jerk. Advice please? Greatly appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back