Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 5, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #30,946 of 33,689
Hi! Could anyone please give me a word of advise? I want to buy headphones for my PC. I have EVGA Nu Audio that can drive 600 Ohm, so high resistance is not an issue. I look to use it for gaming and some music (I mostly listen to music on newly received Dynaudio LYD7, and that's another reason to change headphones). I was using 5.1 headphones mostly for the best positioning but got tired of their low sound quality. Also they are not avaliable today, the "real" 5.1 headphones concept is dead. Virtual surround looks fine now so I want to give a stereo headphones a try.

However, gaming headphones are usually just bad, so I wish to get a better quality music or studio full size headphones and a separate mic. I believe I need headphones with detailed sound, fast transient response, balanced sound (a bit of rised bass is fine though, if it won't spoil midrange). No gaming features are required, sound card will provide those.
What can you recommend in the below 100 USD price range? Is there anything decent at all?

There aren't very many good options in this budget range. If you want closed-back, the two best options (IMO) are Takstar Pro82 and Creative Aurvana Live. In case of open backs, there is only one: Philips SHP9500 (you'll likely need to apply some PEQ to get the best out of it but it's not too much of a hassle on desktop). You can also check out the legendary Koss Porta Pro X + Yaxi Pads. Fantastic combo but some are not fond of the looks.

Jun 5, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #30,947 of 33,689
Jun 5, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #30,948 of 33,689
Er3Se same price!!!
Sending my new £139 er2se back to UK Amazon and ordered Er3Se for $99 plus shipping and taxes (total £110) from Amazon USA :xf_cool:

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #30,949 of 33,689
If u have EQ mix available, that opens up your options tremendously. Most of the CHIFI budget IEMs are tuned harmanish or V shaped for consumer preferences, so if u can make it more neutralish, u can definitely try some of the CCAs and KZs. And best part is u can use them outside of stage monitoring for casual music listening too. Though, I generally try to EQ downwards rather than up, and not more than 3 dB (some of the cheaper drivers distort with too much EQ).

It wouldn't be a good idea to cover the bass vents IMHO. U might introduce driver flex, and not sure if the pressure build up inside the shell will damage the dynamic drivers with the vents unable to let out airflow, or even damage the eardrums due to the backflow of pressure/air. And yes the frequency response will probably also change.
I'm not an expert in this area, so maybe I'll defer this bass vent covering thing to some of our friends here for their advise!

How do the Etymotic ER3SE fit into my situation? on 1st glance, they seem to be a higher quality $150 IEM with no vents, all BA's, and great isolation, with a temp sale price of $99. Would these fit my stage needs? Would they perform well in custom plugs? I like that they include a shirt clip, so simple but critical piece, lol.

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #30,950 of 33,689
How do the Etymotic ER3SE fit into my situation? on 1st glance, they seem to be a higher quality $150 IEM with no vents, all BA's, and great isolation, with a temp sale price of $99. Would these fit my stage needs? Would they perform well in custom plugs? I like that they include a shirt clip, so simple but critical piece, lol.
If I weren’t using my se846 as my stage monitor, I would use an Etymotic (ER2 or ER3). I was using my ER3XR as my monitor prior to the Shure, and really like it. You can definitely have custom tips made for Etymotic, for example, Sensaphonics makes custom tips specifically for Shure and Etymotic IEMs.

However, the only potential benefit of custom tips on the Etymotic is comfort. Over time many people get used to the triple flange stock tips, and they provide superb isolation already.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #30,951 of 33,689
If I weren’t using my se846 as my stage monitor, I would use an Etymotic (ER2 or ER3). I was using my ER3XR as my monitor prior to the Shure, and really like it. You can definitely have custom tips made for Etymotic, for example, Sensaphonics makes custom tips specifically for Shure and Etymotic IEMs.

However, the only potential benefit of custom tips on the Etymotic is comfort. Over time many people get used to the triple flange stock tips, and they provide superb isolation already.

Thanks, I think these might be my solution. I noticed the Ety's (and those Shures) don't have over the ear wire loops. Is this not an issue on stage? I don't plan on doing cartwheels, but if I whip my head back or do the "jump up and land on the final note" sing ending, I want my IEM's to stay locked in.... is there a wire wrap or other looping solution to keep them formed around my ear tops during gigs?

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #30,952 of 33,689
Thanks, I think these might be my solution. I noticed the Ety's (and those Shures) don't have over the ear wire loops. Is this not an issue on stage? I don't plan on doing cartwheels, but if I whip my head back or do the "jump up and land on the final note" sing ending, I want my IEM's to stay locked in.... is there a wire wrap or other looping solution to keep them formed around my ear tops during gigs?

I guess I can solve this by either adding ear hooks (like these : wire wraps ) or buying a replacement cable that has buit-in wire ear wraps, huh?

Ok, so the question now is: what's a good mmcx cable upgrade with comfy ear wraps and great sound? here's my 1st glance: link

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #30,953 of 33,689

Good question. That’s one of the downsides of the Etymotic design, it’s cable is drop-down. The angle where the MMCX connector is makes it poorly comparable with 3rd party cables. I do sometimes loop the Ety cable over my ears, but when using the triple flange tips, they are very secure. I just run the cables from the IEMs, back around my neck, cinch the cable, and use the shirt clip on my back shirt collar. Haven’t had a problem with them, but I’m in a drum cage and not running around on stage.

Again, you can use the stock cables and run them over your ear, it’s just a little awkward.

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #30,954 of 33,689

I haven't tried the ER3SE per se, but I tried one of their older models, and these etys have superb isolation, close to 40 dB. Superb sound quality, quite reference like. But I had to return them as the deep insertion was too uncomfortable for me. And the soundstage was pretty 2 dimensional, but I guess that's not important for stage monitoring purposes. So my only beef with them is comfort, but I guess if u can tolerate the deep insertion, it is an excellent option for monitoring. This discounted price looks like a very good deal. I don't think u will need custom plugs with the level of isolation the etys give.

@IEMusic is an expert in the etys! So I think he has given u great info. Do let us know how your purchases turn out!

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #30,955 of 33,689
News from Shuoer!

0F694827-0A7B-4B29-8DDD-5B00AB934E6B.jpeg
ABD4CF2F-2996-4C8C-96AD-AA985B5103D3.jpeg

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #30,956 of 33,689
Good question. That’s one of the downsides of the Etymotic design, it’s cable is drop-down. The angle where the MMCX connector is makes it poorly comparable with 3rd party cables. I do sometimes loop the Ety cable over my ears, but when using the triple flange tips, they are very secure. I just run the cables from the IEMs, back around my neck, cinch the cable, and use the shirt clip on my back shirt collar. Haven’t had a problem with them, but I’m in a drum cage and not running around on stage.

Again, you can use the stock cables and run them over your ear, it’s just a little awkward.
I wear the cable up over the ear with the ER2XR and ER4XR, just because it feels more stable. I use my ER2XR outside while walking the dog all the time, wearing the cable over ear means I never have to worry about the seal getting nudged out of place a bit from moving around. I just angle the cable coming off the mmcx connector straight "up". The cable on on the ER2 series in particular is lightweight, I don't have any discomfort using it this way.

I did try a 3rd party cable that was supposed to be designed with MMCX connectors for Etys, but it hasn't really worked out. It's way too heavy to wear cable down, it drags the shells downward. And the angle of the MMCX connectors makes it really uncomfortable to wear over ear.

Jun 7, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #30,957 of 33,689
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #30,958 of 33,689
Jun 7, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #30,959 of 33,689
The Aliexpress reviews seem pretty decent.

I say go for it and let us know how you like it. You may just discover the next gem. That’s how a lot of good earphones are discovered; with 1 person rolling the dice and taking one for the team :)

Oh man stop it... I just bought another pair of C12 *just in case*, even though I've been holding back for the Urbanfun's. These look so good too...

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #30,960 of 33,689
So I just received my CCA CA16, ordered from the "Official CCA Store" in Ali Express.

20200604_141449.jpg

20200604_141547.jpg

20200604_141922.jpg

I like them!

I only had time to make a brief comparison with the CCA C12 that I love (still do, but perhaps a little less). As a disclaimer, I am also not a reviewer or professional, just a curious amateur. Take my impressions with a pinch of salt.

The build is passable, probably what you would expect given the pictures circulating in the web. Black plastic shell - mine had minor leftovers of glue that were easy enough to remove with the finger. Comfortable to my ears, less so than the smaller CCA C12, but very ergonomic, and better than the KZ ZSX that was a hair bigger. The cable is the typical CCA Cable as can be found on the C12, but the store sent an additional silver plated cable (also similar, but of a different colour) as a treat for the early buy. The seller also sent an additional bag with foam tips.

The sound is great for a $60 earphone, but there are some clear differences from the CCA C12 in that it is less V shaped and mid forward - and not just upper mids, the lower mids too to my ears, though they still play nicely with the upper bass (minimal bleed). This makes it sound thicker compared to the CCA C12.

Mids are detailed, still musical, not dissecting like those of the Shure se535 that I sold for that very reason. Male and female vocals are natural and slightly forward. Instruments sound natural with good timbre, including brass (not metallic like the KZ ZSX) and guitars (the forward midrange does wonders for those). Pianos have body and sound luscious.

Treble is well extended and detailed, but can be masked by the forward mids. Snares and cymbals could probably be reproduced better if the CA16 had a better attack, even though it is BAs that we are talking about, but I can't say for sure if this perception is due to said masking. The CA16 still has the upper hand in the treble department, compared to the C12, the latter sounding thin in contrast.

Contrary to my worst fears, the bass is very well done, extended and textured (I can hear it below 30hz and almost all the way to 20hz), but it is more controlled than the CCA C12's. There is still a good amount of impact.

Imaging is also good, better than the C12's, though I found that soundstage is a toss up - on one hand there are more spacial queues with the CA16, due to its more detailed nature, on the other, the V "shapedness" of the C12 can make male voices and some instruments sound further away from the listener, either way they are not very far.

Looking forward to reading other impressions of them!
How is the isolation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back