Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Nov 15, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #3,046 of 33,689
This thread is costing me money and lost sleep
biggrin.gif

Ordered urbanfun, qcy qy19 and **** 4in1, along with some spinfits and foam tips during 11.11

i measured my KZ zs3 cable, and it has ~1.1 ohm

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #3,047 of 33,689
Ah I see. I also picked it up, for $212 after discounts and $2 AliExpress coupon.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #3,048 of 33,689
This thread is costing me money and lost sleep:D
Ordered urbanfun, qcy qy19 and **** 4in1, along with some spinfits and foam tips during 11.11

Welcome to the club! I am afraid things can get only worse here with time and a never-ending stream of new earphones :wink:

Waiting for Urbanfun too and Kinera BA05, btw is 1clearhead the only headfier who has the Kinera?

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #3,049 of 33,689
  This thread is costing me money and lost sleep
biggrin.gif

Oh the silver or stock?

@CoiL did some measurements too for the silver coated cable.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #3,050 of 33,689
Welcome to the club! I am afraid things can get only worse here with time and a never-ending stream of new earphones :wink:

Waiting for Urbanfun too and Kinera BA05, btw is 1clearhead the only headfier who has the Kinera?

thanks! I've been a member of 'the club' for quite a while, just joined head-fi today though.
Like most people (probably) i don't need any more IEMs/headphones, but the curiosity makes me "need" just this or that gear as well
etysmile.gif

I might need to try another tube than the stock tube in my bravo ocean, but that might be better discussed in another thread...

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #3,051 of 33,689
  Oh the silver or stock?

the stock ones, with memory wire. also only measured one way, so it would need to be doubled for total resistance it adds.
Not sure if other measures just one way as well?

the test leads of my dmm have resistance of 0.2-0.3 ohms, and when i measure stock cable L/R/Ground i get uncompensated values between 1.1 and 1.4 ohms.
the zs3 without cables is 15.2 ohm, and zs3 + cable is 17.

as usual with quick tests the error margin is a bit wide. when measured as a system, the cable adds 1.8 ohm, not 2.2 as i would have expected from my initial measurements.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #3,052 of 33,689
  Hi all this is the official explanation from **** on their DT2+

I do not have a very good command of chinese but from what i read, the main points (stand corrected);

1. QC failed at 1 of the drivers.. or rather no QC was performed before they shipped out.
2. Warranty for these sets are for 2 years
3. Customers who have already bought the DT2+ can ask for a refund including shipping charges to be bear by the company.
4. **** apologies.

Well shiat happens, just look at Samsung Note 7 LOL.. but still at this point of time no one in their sane mind should continue buying this until they fix this and send out the new batch.

Terrible news, my DT2+ are on the way. I would rather they just send out another pair once the qc issues has been resolved for those of us who already ordered instead of going through the whole return process... Has anyone contacted the sellers to see how this going to be handled?

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #3,053 of 33,689

Interesting I remember reading a post stating that the quality of the cable doesn't really matter, what changes the sound is the impedance of the cable. Is it possible higher impedance cables may warm up the sound by making it a little flatter? 

Yes, impedance of the cable is most important factor that changes sound outcome. HQ soldering joints and other things like grounding/shielding are also important but not so "sound-changing" as impedance.
And yes, higher impedance cables usually make the sound outcome more "warm/smooth" and tame the high frequencies.

... i think it is a low impedance cable because it makes the sound more clean and transparent brings out more details and the space between the instruments noticeably improved so the soundstage feels more big

Yep, that is usually the outcome from low-impedance HQ cables.

Oh the silver or stock?

I measured ATR cable and it was 1 Ohm.

Oh the silver or stock?

the stock ones, with memory wire. also only measured one way, so it would need to be doubled for total resistance it adds.
Not sure if other measures just one way as well?

the test leads of my dmm have resistance of 0.2-0.3 ohms, and when i measure stock cable L/R/Ground i get uncompensated values between 1.1 and 1.4 ohms.
the zs3 without cables is 15.2 ohm, and zs3 + cable is 17.

as usual with quick tests the error margin is a bit wide. when measured as a system, the cable adds 1.8 ohm, not 2.2 as i would have expected from my initial measurements.

My DMM measured 15.8 Ohm for ATR each L/R drivers without cable. Cable L/R/G each measured 1 Ohm. 
The thing is, at least my logics work this way, that You should actually measure it only one way, since audio signal will end up in driver anyway, so, anything after driver going to ground (ground cable resistance) shouldn`t be concern and doesn`t affect sound. Or am I thinking wrong?

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #3,055 of 33,689
  I measured ATR cable and it was 1 Ohm.

My DMM measured 15.8 Ohm for ATR each L/R drivers without cable. Cable L/R/G each measured 1 Ohm. 
The thing is, at least my logics work this way, that You should actually measure it only one way, since audio signal will end up in driver anyway, so, anything after driver going to ground (ground cable resistance) shouldn`t be concern and doesn`t affect sound. Or am I thinking wrong?

As long as we measure the same thing the same way it shouldn't matter that much.
It is difficult to measure the cable both ways at the same time, since we'd like to have just the cable measured, not some system (cable + driver, or cable + some interconnect between L/R/G).
As long as we measure the cable one way, and understand that we need to double the measured value to get the total cable resistance we should be fine, and able to understand eachother and contribute with measurements.

Both ways of the cable is contributing with cable resistance (/impedance, but since i'm measuring with dmm it is with dc, and should be purely resistive = resistance in my measurements)

Does your source have any clue whether the cable resistance comes before or after the driver? (i would say no, not sure if the people at sound science might be of another opinion?),
therefore both ways count, but since we probably are mostly interested in the relative values; 1.1 > 0.9 > 0.5 ohm, it shouldn't matter.

as you see with my measurements i thought that the cable was 1.1 ohm, but when measured connected to the earphone it seems that the cable adds 1.8 ohm, when measured both ways. so maybe 0.9 ohm is more true for cable resistance one way?

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #3,056 of 33,689

Does your source have any clue whether the cable resistance comes before or after the driver? (i would say no, not sure if the people at sound science might be of another opinion?)

Audio signal path is positive(signal) > driver (which translates signal to ears& brain as sound) > ground. Ground cable impedance comes after driver and isn`t affecting signal path that ends up in our ears. Source is "pushing" signal one way and "pulling" it other way (ground). If for rough example signal would travel from both, ground and positive, to driver, then it would make more sense that ground is also affecting sound re-produced by driver.

Or am I thinking totally wrong?

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #3,058 of 33,689
Terrible news, my DT2+ are on the way. I would rather they just send out another pair once the qc issues has been resolved for those of us who already ordered instead of going through the whole return process... Has anyone contacted the sellers to see how this going to be handled?

Ive contacted HCK but no answer from them. They just inform to me that they are contacting the manufacturer for the answer and adk me to wait. But i didnt hear anything from hck since then

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #3,059 of 33,689
  Audio signal path is positive(signal) > driver (which translates signal to ears& brain as sound) > ground. Ground cable impedance comes after driver and isn`t affecting signal path that ends up in our ears. Source is "pushing" signal one way and "pulling" it other way (ground). If for rough example signal would travel from both, ground and positive, to driver, then it would make more sense that ground is also affecting sound re-produced by driver.

Or am I thinking totally wrong?

taking your thinking to the extreme (in absurdum): then you wouldn't need a cable after the driver: that would equal a cable with infinite resistance, but since resistance after the driver doesn't matter you would be ok anyway...
blink.gif

If there's resistance between the driver and your source's ground, then the signal needs to be "pushed" all the way, even from the driver to the ground.

i'm an engineering student, so some things might be basic knowledge for me but not for others. I hope i don't come across rude or so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back