Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Dec 26, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #29,371 of 33,689
This JCAlly cable fits well my A6.
It is also very handsome and gives it a premium look.

US $14.99 | FENGRU DIY JCALLY JC04P 5N OFC 4 Shares 252 Cores Earphone Upgrade Cable for Shure SE215 UE900 IE80 KZ ZST ZSN Pro ZS10 Pro ZSX
https://a.aliexpress.com/MilPoEBm

Its resistance measures low enough in @hakuzen list which inspired me in the first place to get it for $12 at BF sale.

I also favor it because it's only 4 strands instead of 8 or more but the strands have more cores and are thicker than usual hence it measures better than many 8 strands. Weight and flexibility is about middle ground between 4 and 8 strands, overall good or very good in my book.

I have a couple of 8 strands cables and I find them heavy and lacking portability which detracts from any IEM overall value imo as I mainly use them while commuting, 4 strands all the way for me.

Disclaimer: ppl and vendors use term such as strands, cores, shares interchangeably but you get the drift.

I believe my friend will either get cable 175 or 171 for the a6. I have the 171 on the way so I'm gonna test that first then he can make the decision.

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #29,372 of 33,689
Dec 26, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #29,373 of 33,689
Dec 26, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #29,374 of 33,689
Nice review.
How is the timbre on this set for acoustic instruments?
Thank you.
I feel the treble is fine to my ears (I did have some concerns given few reviews of NX7). Violins sound right. For my limited percussion exposure, it is also fine.
Cellos are rendered OK with a fast DD. String quartets sound a bit thinner in the mids compared to C16, but not as ascetic as with AS06 for instance.
NX7 feels nicely complementary to C16, C12 and BL03.

Dec 27, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #29,375 of 33,689
I've had a beta of the kBear Diamond for the past few weeks. This is the IEM that @Otto Motor provided feedback on the companies tuning choices. I've been impressed so far. The sound quality is really good and it does most things very well. It's a more intimate feeling sound then I've had from previous IEMs and I didn't realize how much I would enjoy that. I plan to spend more time with them now that the busier part of my Holidays is over.

Dec 27, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #29,376 of 33,689
I've had a beta of the kBear Diamond for the past few weeks. This is the IEM that @Otto Motor provided feedback on the companies tuning choices. I've been impressed so far. The sound quality is really good and it does most things very well. It's a more intimate feeling sound then I've had from previous IEMs and I didn't realize how much I would enjoy that. I plan to spend more time with them now that the busier part of my Holidays is over.

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-27 at 23.10.53.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-28 at 07.49.32.jpeg

I just got a production review unit of the KBEAR Diamond yesterday. I was out so I could only test them with a lousy smartphone and Ziku HD X9 DAP. But even with these lower powered sources, I'm already quite impressed with the Diamond with the time I spent with it yesterday. I'm a sucker for DD timbre/tonality and the Diamond combines the best aspects of the musicality of the BLON BL-03 (better timbre than BLON BL-03) with the technicalities of more expensive DDs like TFZ No. 3. My very first thought when I heard the Diamond was: "Liquid Gold". Can't wait to see how it fares with a higher powered source.
I'm gonna test it out with more sources/tips over the next few days, but initial impressions is it is a well tuned set, definitely blows my most expensive single DD (Sennheiser IE80S) out of the water.

Initial impressions:
Pros:
- Better timbre than BLON BL-03. I was already impressed with the BL-03's timbre, but this is an improvement. Classical and acoustic instruments and vocals sound very real and lifelike. Classical, acoustic and jazz aficionados will have a fieldday. Great note weight and note texture.
- Technicalities (imaging, instrument separation, clarity, details) trump my other single DD (BLON BL-03, BLON Cardinal, Semkarch SKC CNT1, Sennheiser IE80S, Sony MH755, TFZ No. 3, Toneking Ninetails). It may even be quite close to some budget multi BA/hybrid CHIFI in technicalities, but of course due to single dynamic driver transducer limitations, it won't trump some midfi multi BAs in this department. I am probably gonna have to sell away a few single DD sets now, as the Diamond has made a few of them superfluous. Sigh, I just got my BLON Cardinal less than 2 months ago and my BLON BL-03 2 weeks before the Cardinal.
- Smooth tonality, no harsh peaks/troughs on listening.
- Non fatiguing.
- No sibilance - if there's sibilance in poorly recorded material, the Diamond will show it, but if it isn't there, no sibilance present at all.
- Great metal build, super sturdy like a tank. Shell is on heavier side, but very comfortable to wear nonetheless. Well fitting and ergonomic.
- Above average soundstage.
- Above average isolation - not the absolute best, but sufficient for travelling purposes. Give and take i would say about 15 dB isolation. As the Diamond is vented, outside noises do get in. I've tried it on the subway and some subbass frequencies are lost, but it is still usable for transit IMHO.
- Stock tips and cables good fitting, no need to mess around with aftermarket stuff (cough cough ... looking at you, BLON BL-03). The SPC stock cable is of very high quality, non microphonic and well braided. 3 types of tips are provided (foams, 2 types of silicone tips - one less firm and the other firmer; black and red).
- Nice PVC leather carrying pouch, looks like those in Tin HIFI packaging. More usable than a certain sackcloth carrying pouch from a certain brand haha.
- 2 pin connection - better lifespan than MMCX in my opinion.

Cons:
- Mild midbass bleed/bloatedness - I think this can be fixed with different sources/tips, will explore over the next few days and report back. I actually like some midbass bleed/bloat to add warmth to the lower mids, but I know folks who are particular about a tight and accurate bass might not.

Gotta agree with @SuperLuigi that the Diamond has no major weaknesses, maybe except a very mild midbass bleed/midbass bloatedness as above. But I suspect this is partially dependent on source/tips, as just by changing the stock silicone tips from the red stock to black stock ones, I managed to tame most of the midbass bleed compared to the default red stock silicone tips. And I haven't tried amping the Diamond yet, but I suspect that the bass will tighten with amping, as per some of my experience with other DD sets. Will explore more regarding this.

The Diamond's bass is north of neutral, but a level shy of basshead territory. The midbass quantity is about the same amount or thereabouts as the BLON BL-03, so for folks that already disliked the BL-03's midbass quantity, you might wanna wait for the BL-03 MK2 with tuned down midbass. But the Diamond's bass is of better quality than the BL-03 in being more textured and having better speed and separation. I'm a fan of more meat in the midbass, and I actually like a bit of midbass bleed to give the lower mids more warmth, though purists who want a very very accurate/tight bass might need to find a BA bass due to the slight midbass bleed/bloatedness. And those wanting a neutral bass will also probably need to look elsewhere. Despite the graph looking like there's a subbass roll off, I found that the subbass extends very well in quantity and it's like listening to subwoofer surroundsound amps in the ears if I could say so. The basshead in me was actually quite pleased with the subbass quantity and extension.

Mids are very detailed despite the U shaped signature, not overly recessed for both male/female vocals despite the graphs. Female voices are slightly more forward than male voices but are not shouty. Guitars are very crunchy and well textured.
The graph on the KBEAR site looks like there's a sharp 3 - 5 kHz peak (which I was very apprehensive about at first as I'm sensitive to that area and it is a bugbear of mine in CHIFI tuning). To my surprise, on actual listening it is very very smooth and not harsh at the upper treble/lower mids. A slight 8 KHz peak gives triangles and cymbals a very pleasant resolution but without harshness or some splashy metallic cymbals that plague some CHIFI sets. There's some higher treble roll off, so maybe only trebleheads will complain, but for the general consumer, I think it is a very non offensive, non fatiguing tuning that will suit most consumers and suit most genres.

Capture.PNG

TLDR:
The Diamond has a U shaped sound signature, very non offensive and non fatiguing tuning. It combines the best aspects of musicality (timbre/tonality) of the BLON BL-03 with techicalities of higher priced single DD sets like the TFZ No. 3 with no harsh spikes/troughs. My first impression on hearing the Diamond (and up to now after using it for a day) would be "Liquid Gold", it amalgates smoothness with technicalities. I can say it beats the rest of my collection of single DDs I have amassed, and unfortunately some sets need to be sold off after hearing the Diamond.

Will do more listening and tip/source changes and give a more detailed review over the coming days. Enjoy the music!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #29,377 of 33,689

I just got a production review unit of the KBEAR Diamond yesterday. I was out so I could only test them with a lousy smartphone and Ziku HD X9 DAP. But even with these lower powered sources, I'm already quite impressed with the Diamond with the time I spent with it yesterday. I'm a sucker for DD timbre/tonality and the Diamond combines the best aspects of the musicality of the BLON BL-03 (better timbre than BLON BL-03) with the technicalities of more expensive DDs like TFZ No. 3. My very first thought when I heard the Diamond was: "Liquid Gold". Can't wait to see how it fares with a higher powered source.
I'm gonna test it out with more sources/tips over the next few days, but initial impressions is it is a well tuned set, definitely blows my most expensive single DD (Sennheiser IE80S) out of the water.

Initial impressions:
Pros:
- Better timbre than BLON BL-03. I was already impressed with the BL-03's timbre, but this is an improvement. Classical and acoustic instruments and vocals sound very real and lifelike. Classical, acoustic and jazz aficionados will have a fieldday. Great note weight and note texture.
- Technicalities (imaging, instrument separation, clarity, details) trump my other single DD (BLON BL-03, BLON Cardinal, Semkarch SKC CNT1, Sennheiser IE80S, Sony MH755, TFZ No. 3, Toneking Ninetails). It may even be quite close to some budget multi BA/hybrid CHIFI in technicalities, but of course due to single dynamic driver transducer limitations, it won't trump some midfi multi BAs in this department. I am probably gonna have to sell away a few single DD sets now, as the Diamond has made a few of them superfluous. Sigh, I just got my BLON Cardinal less than 2 months ago and my BLON BL-03 2 weeks before the Cardinal.
- Non fatiguing.
- Great metal build, super sturdy like a tank. Shell is on heavier side, but very comfortable to wear nonetheless. Well fitting and ergonomic.
- Above average isolation - not the absolute best, but sufficient for travelling purposes. Give and take i would say about 15 dB isolation. As the Diamond is vented, outside noises do get in. I've tried it on the subway and some subbass frequencies are lost, but it is still usable for transit IMHO.
- Stock tips and cables good fitting, no need to mess around with aftermarket stuff (cough cough ... looking at you, BLON BL-03). The SPC stock cable is of very high quality, non microphonic and well braided. 3 types of tips are provided (foams, 2 types of silicone tips - one less firm and the other firmer; black and red).
- Nice PVC leather carrying pouch, looks like those in Tin HIFI packaging. More usable than a certain sackcloth carrying pouch from a certain brand haha.
- No sibilance - if there's sibilance in poorly recorded material, the Diamond will show it, but if it isn't there, no sibilance present at all.

Cons:
- Mild midbass bleed/bloatedness - I think this can be fixed with different sources/tips, will explore over the next few days and report back. I actually like some midbass meat to add warmth to the lower mids, but I know folks who are particular about a tight and accurate bass might not.

Gotta agree with @SuperLuigi that the Diamond has no major weaknesses, maybe except a very mild midbass bleed/midbass bloatedness as above. But I suspect this is partially dependent on source/tips, as just by changing the stock silicone tips from the red stock to black stock ones, I managed to tame most of the midbass bleed compared to the default red stock silicone tips. And I haven't tried amping the Diamond yet, but I suspect that the bass will tighten with amping, as per some of my experience with other DD sets. Will explore more regarding this.

The Diamond's bass is north of neutral, but not in basshead territory. The midbass quantity is about the same amount or thereabouts as the BLON BL-03, so for folks that already disliked the BL-03's midbass quantity, you might wanna wait for the BL-03 MK2 with tuned down midbass. But the Diamond's bass is of better quality than the BL-03 in being more textured and having better speed and separation. I'm a fan of more meat in the midbass, and I actually like a bit of midbass bleed to give the lower mids more warmth, though purists who want a very very accurate/tight bass might need to find a BA bass due to the very slight midbass bleed/bloatedness. And those wanting a neutral bass will also probably need to look elsewhere. Despite the graph looking like there's a subbass roll off, I found that the subbass extends very well in quantity and it's like listening to subwoofer surroundsound amps in the ears if I could say so. The basshead in me was actually quite pleased with the subbass quantity and extension.

Mids are very detailed despite the U shaped signature, not overly recessed for both male/female vocals despite the graphs. Female voices slightly more forward than male voices but are not shouty. Guitars are very crunchy and well textured.
The graph on the KBEAR site looks like there's a sharp 3 - 5 kHz peak (which I was very apprehensive about at first as I'm sensitive to that area and it is a bugbear of mine in CHIFI tuning). To my surprise, on actual listening it is very very smooth and not harsh at the upper treble/lower mids. A slight 8 KHz peak gives triangles and cymbals a very pleasant resolution but without harshness or some splashy metallic cymbals that plague some CHIFI sets. There's some higher treble roll off, so maybe only trebleheads will complain, but for the general consumer, I think it is a very non offensive, non fatiguing tuning that will suit most consumers and suit most genres.

TLDR:
The Diamond has a U shaped sound signature, very non offensive and non fatiguing tuning. It combines the best aspects musicality (timbre/tonality) of the BLON BL-03 with techicalities of higher priced single DD sets like the TFZ No. 3 with no harsh spikes/troughs. My first impression on hearing the Diamond (and up to now after using it for a day) would be "Liquid Gold", it amalgates smoothness with technicalities. I can say it beats the rest of my collection of single DDs I have amassed, and unfortunately some sets need to be sold off after hearing the Diamond.

Will do more listening and tip/source changes and give a more detailed review over the coming days. Enjoy the music!
So, the conclusion is the Diamond is definitely an upgrade from TFZ No.3 ? *pretty tempted but gonna wait until I test out my starfield

Dec 27, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #29,378 of 33,689
So, the conclusion is the Diamond is definitely an upgrade from TFZ No.3 ? *pretty tempted but gonna wait until I test out my starfield

Yeah let us know how the Starfield turns out, all of us are anticipating it too.

TFZ No.3 is a basshead set so it has different tuning and is for different sound preferences. TFZ No. 3 has more subbass quantity and extension so I'm probably still gonna keep the No. 3 for EDM but in terms of FR, the No. 3 has harsher 8 kHz and 2 - 4 kHz area, so it is not the most versatile set.

The No. 3 has better isolation but in terms of soundstage, timbre, tonality and technicalities the Diamond is better IMHO.

Dec 27, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #29,380 of 33,689

Initial impressions:
Pros:
- Non fatiguing.

Cons:
- Mild midbass bleed/bloatedness - I think this can be fixed with different sources/tips, will explore over the next few days and report back. I actually like some midbass meat to add warmth to the lower mids, but I know folks who are particular about a tight and accurate bass might not.

The Diamond's bass is north of neutral, but not in basshead territory. The midbass quantity is about the same amount or thereabouts as the BLON BL-03, so for folks that already disliked the BL-03's midbass quantity, you might wanna wait for the BL-03 MK2 with tuned down midbass. But the Diamond's bass is of better quality than the BL-03 in being more textured and having better speed and separation. I'm a fan of more meat in the midbass, and I actually like a bit of midbass bleed to give the lower mids more warmth, though purists who want a very very accurate/tight bass might need to find a BA bass due to the very slight midbass bleed/bloatedness. And those wanting a neutral bass will also probably need to look elsewhere. Despite the graph looking like there's a subbass roll off, I found that the subbass extends very well in quantity and it's like listening to subwoofer surroundsound amps in the ears if I could say so. The basshead in me was actually quite pleased with the subbass quantity and extension.

Mids are very detailed despite the U shaped signature, not overly recessed for both male/female vocals despite the graphs. Female voices slightly more forward than male voices but are not shouty. Guitars are very crunchy and well textured.

TLDR:
The Diamond has a U shaped sound signature, very non offensive and non fatiguing tuning. It combines the best aspects musicality (timbre/tonality) of the BLON BL-03 with techicalities of higher priced single DD sets like the TFZ No. 3 with no harsh spikes/troughs. My first impression on hearing the Diamond (and up to now after using it for a day) would be "Liquid Gold", it amalgates smoothness with technicalities. I can say it beats the rest of my collection of single DDs I have amassed, and unfortunately some sets need to be sold off after hearing the Diamond.

The graph can be forgiven considering the fast DLC-coated driver...it doesn't look good to me at all and does not spoil the fun. This earphone sounds like a multi-driver in terms of resolution with the BA timbre fixed.

Dec 28, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #29,382 of 33,689
Yeah let us know how the Starfield turns out, all of us are anticipating it too.

TFZ No.3 is a basshead set so it has different tuning and is for different sound preferences. TFZ No. 3 has more subbass quantity and extension so I'm probably still gonna keep the No. 3 for EDM but in terms of FR, the No. 3 has harsher 8 kHz and 2 - 4 kHz area, so it is not the most versatile set.

The No. 3 has better isolation but in terms of soundstage, timbre, tonality and technicalities the Diamond is better IMHO.
Ugh you're really about to make me order a Diamond :skull:

Dec 28, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #29,383 of 33,689
Ugh you're really about to make me order a Diamond :skull:

Haha maybe hold your horses and wait for the Moondrop Starfield and Fearless Stellar reviews to filter out first! They may turn out to be gems too, no pun intended.

Though, if you are a treblehead or don't like midbass bleed/bloat then the Diamond might not be the best option.

But it definitely eats my BLON BL-03 for breakfast, BLON Cardinal for lunch and Sennheiser IE80S for dinner.
I'll give a more detailed review of the Diamond in about a week's time, though maybe by then another CHIFI hypetrain will have arrived LOL.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #29,384 of 33,689
But it definitely eats my BLON BL-03 for breakfast, BLON Cardinal for lunch and Sennheiser IE80S for dinner.
What a scary hungry IEM!
Can be suitable to weed out an extensive IEM collection though :)

Dec 28, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #29,385 of 33,689

Initial impressions:
Pros:
- Non fatiguing.

Cons:
- Mild midbass bleed/bloatedness - I think this can be fixed with different sources/tips, will explore over the next few days and report back. I actually like some midbass bleed/bloat to add warmth to the lower mids, but I know folks who are particular about a tight and accurate bass might not.

The Diamond's bass is north of neutral, but a level shy of basshead territory. The midbass quantity is about the same amount or thereabouts as the BLON BL-03, so for folks that already disliked the BL-03's midbass quantity, you might wanna wait for the BL-03 MK2 with tuned down midbass. But the Diamond's bass is of better quality than the BL-03 in being more textured and having better speed and separation. I'm a fan of more meat in the midbass, and I actually like a bit of midbass bleed to give the lower mids more warmth, though purists who want a very very accurate/tight bass might need to find a BA bass due to the slight midbass bleed/bloatedness. And those wanting a neutral bass will also probably need to look elsewhere. Despite the graph looking like there's a subbass roll off, I found that the subbass extends very well in quantity and it's like listening to subwoofer surroundsound amps in the ears if I could say so. The basshead in me was actually quite pleased with the subbass quantity and extension.

Mids are very detailed despite the U shaped signature, not overly recessed for both male/female vocals despite the graphs. Female voices are slightly more forward than male voices but are not shouty. Guitars are very crunchy and well textured.

TLDR:
The Diamond has a U shaped sound signature, very non offensive and non fatiguing tuning. It combines the best aspects of musicality (timbre/tonality) of the BLON BL-03 with techicalities of higher priced single DD sets like the TFZ No. 3 with no harsh spikes/troughs. My first impression on hearing the Diamond (and up to now after using it for a day) would be "Liquid Gold", it amalgates smoothness with technicalities. I can say it beats the rest of my collection of single DDs I have amassed, and unfortunately some sets need to be sold off after hearing the Diamond.

Great review, thank you - you sound genuinely impressed!
Such a relief to hear my expectations confirmed, my first attempt to get hold of a decent DD set was a complete disaster :smirk:.

Should be receiving mine any day now...please keep the impressions coming in the meantime. How is it with different cables? :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back